Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

March 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    Options

I had one of these kits. I used the shirts the most, the pillow next most, and did not end up using the hoodie.

The shirts are great if you don't have some comfy button-up shirts. Comfy, easy-on, no worries about getting anything on them, like with your normal shirts. The drain pockets on the inside come in handy. I lived in these the first week. During that time, I found these tees more comfortable than the surgery camisoles with drain pockets. When you're done, you can donate them, toss them, or tuck them away so you're not reminded! (My first surgery was not a mastectomy, so I'm glad I hung onto the shirts after that surgery, because I needed them later.)

I used the pillow a few times in the car. Some people even sleep with it, as it keeps them from rolling over, and gives them some cushioning under the arm if the lymph node biopsy area is sore. I read others used it around the house to protect their chest from kids and pets jumping around on them after surgery.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 367
    Options

I used a mastectomy vest the first 2 weeks after surgery. And I am using it again now for my exchange surgery because it has a velcro opening so I don't have to pull it on/off over my head (no drains this time, yay). A friend gave me the vest - I thought it was great, but am not sure it was worth the money for the short time I used it. Also, the hospital sent me home with a pouch for the drains (it was on a lanyard around my neck) and I also sometimes used a fanny pack to hold them. I went to Goodwill and got some button-down shirts - no worries about getting anything on them, easy to get on/off, not expensive, donated them when I was finished with them.

I used a pillow (just a small one that I got at Goodwill) in the car for the first 6 weeks or so. I also used it, as alto said, to keep from rolling over in bed (I am a side sleeper and sleeping on my back was awful!). It turned out that the hospital gifted me with a pillow when I went in for the BMX, so I had an extra. I don't have kids or pets, so I don't have to worry about being jumped on, but I could see the merit in having a pillow to use if you do.

Personally, it's a nice gift, but I agree with your friend that it's overkill.

• Darnit_DDD
    Darnit_DDD Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi, my surgery went well, I’m home resting now. Just wanted to say hi. I’m a little tender but managing to get around, still a bit groggy but I’m sure that is to be expected 24 hrs out from BMX.

SNB went well but await final pathology results.

Thank you for the support and friendship ❤️

• Cin17
    Cin17 Member Posts: 41
    Options

Dhbbfh1999, I bought the pillow from that Etsy vendor. It arrived quickly and is good quality. Wish I'd seen this before I bought a shirt and drain belt elsewhere. I think I'll see if she sells the hoodie separately.

• Cin17
    Options

Jess6000, I love the plane to the Bahamas idea. And I hate flying! :D

• Cin17
    Options

Darnit_DDD, glad to hear you're doing well!

• Darnit_DDD
    Options

Thanks Cin17, I can move pretty good now and braved a shower today, which was nice. Trying to refine the pain meds schedule to ensure I stay on top of it but not take more than needed, I’m doing mostly Tylenol and Advil during the day and something stronger at night.

We’re getting the hang of the drains if you’ll pardon the pun.... I have one on each side. I’ll say that milking the left one is intense, I can feel a burning sensation; the right one is not that bad, and the right was the more impacted side. I can feel both sides working and the nurse said as long as they are draining it would be okay

I hear it gets better with each passing day and look forward to continuing on this healing journey.

Best wishes for all in next week’s upcoming procedures and continued healing for all.

• Meesha1978
    Meesha1978 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi All,

Good luck with your surgeries and healing this month! Mine is scheduled for 3/22

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Hi Meesha1978! Welcome to BCO - we hope this can be a source of support for you in the coming months. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery, we hope all goes well, and please keep us posted!

The Mods

• dhbbfh1999
    dhbbfh1999 Member Posts: 11
    Options

I’m up late and am still not prepared for surgery Tuesday. Too much going on with my aunt and getting her OUT of my house so I can have my living room (with recliner) to myself for at least two weeks! Unfortunately I have to work all day tomorrow. All I have done is get clothes that I needed and they are washed and folded. I’m bringing home 500ml small bottles from work tomorrow and I can put orange juice and milk and creamer in them and on a low shelf in fridge. Other than that I haven’t done anything else. 😱 How is everyone else doing

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 367
    Options

Darnit_DDD, glad to hear you are doing well. You have probably figured this out, but hold the drain against your body with one hand and have someone else strip the drains, if possible. That way they don't pull too much (having them stitched in adds to the tenderness). I had mine in for a little more than 2 weeks after my BMX - each day you'll have less fluid and won't have to drain them as often after about 7-10 days.

Dhbbfh1999, good luck tomorrow! I'm glad you'll have your recliner back. :)

Also, good luck to everyone having surgery this week. Speedy healing to us all!

I'm still doing well after my exchange surgery on 3/1. For the ladies who have this surgery coming up, know that this has been SO much easier than the BMX.
  • Darnit_DDD
    Options

Wow best of luck Dhbbfh1999, I’ll be thinking of you and everyone else heading into surgery this week. I hope you are able to sleep and that your day according to plan. You got this!!

GAWarrior thanks, it’s so much better now, I appreciate the tip. I don’t know how much longer I will have the drains but still at about 30 on each side, less than a week out.

I removed the mastectomy bra lined with gauze after my first shower and washed it, but have been running around in large open to the front tops using pink pockets for the drains and never went back to the bra. I haven’t had an issue with sensitivity. So far, healing nicely and only taking Tylenol twice a day.

I’ve been doing the daily exercises and took a walk yesterday and plan to take a little longer one tomorrow, I actually feel better moving at this stage of the healing journey.

Hope everyone is healing nicely and that any additional treatments go well!

• Pooper-scooper
    Pooper-scooper Member Posts: 1
    Options

My mastectomy with reconstruction is scheduled for March 20th. I'm so happy to have found this forum! I've been driving myself crazy googling everything and this is much more productive. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and best of luck to all of you ♥️

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Welcome, Pooper-scooper! We're glad you've found us too, and hope you find this to be a supportive place during your recovery and beyond! Best of luck on your surgery, we'll be thinking of you and sending quick-healing vibes!

The Mods

• Cin17
    Options

Hope everyone is doing well, healing quickly and feeling stronger every day!

My surgery is tomorrow. Finally! Single mastectomy with reconstruction. The plastic surgeon will decide during surgery on implant or expander. I'm very scared (hospital phobic) but also very ready to have it behind me.

• keywestfan
    keywestfan Member Posts: 361
    Options

Here’s your other hospital, and not only hospital, phobic. My lumpectomy is also tomorrow and I am very scared, but ,hopefully, will be very relieved when it is over. But then pathology report and Arimidex hurdles, then, hopefully,again, normal daily life

• Darnit_DDD
    Options

Hi there,

I’ve had everyone in my thoughts this week.

Just a quick note to share some good news. My final pathology results are in and it’s good news re lymph nodes... I do not have to receive chemo or do radiation.

They found a lobular area of concern, and in the left breast, some “atypical” cells, my BS said I made a good call going the BMX route right off the bat.

I am thankful to all of you in the many communities for sharing your personal journeys, insights and experience.

Those who came before, who take the time to support and encourage those of us who are new to all of this, are greatly appreciated.

Because the information was so good here I don’t have much else to add about my experience, it all pretty much went down the way my sisters said it would so I was ready and fortunately no surprises, complications to date.

The only thing I would do differently is buy one size larger on mastectomy bra and cami, I didn’t take into account swelling or gauze. What I bought will be perfect in a couple of weeks though 👍

You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

Blessings and gratitude from texas

• Cin17
    Options

So glad to hear your good news Darnit_DDD!

keywestfan, we're in this together, good luck tomorrow! I'm a big Keys fan too. Would much rather be there now! :D

• keywestfan
    keywestfan Member Posts: 361
    Options

Cin 17- yes we are in this together. I’ll be thinking of you.

Great news Darnit_DD

• dhbbfh1999
    dhbbfh1999 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Well I am home. I got home about 830 last night. Since I work at my hospital they let me stay as long as I wanted to. My surgery took seven hours, they were able to do immediate reconstruction because the tissue perfusion to my remaining breast skin was very good. I had a pectoral block which did not wear off until about 12 hours later. I was going to do a paravertebral block but the doctor I had requested was off that day and had pulled call the night before so that was understandable that he was not working. I highly recommend a pectoral block if you have someone at your hospital who has done a lot of them and is familiar with the procedure.

I am jealous of everyone who said they did not have that much pain after surgery. I guess I'm just a big baby and I don't tolerate pain well at all. I've been taking Valium every eight hours and Percocet every four since I got to the floor after recovery.

Since I did nipple sparing my PS would not allow my BS to make an incision greater than 10 cm from the inframammary crease right directly below the nipple and out to towards my armpit but only 10 cm long. That makes it a struggle to get all the breast tissue out. They did two frozen sections one behind each nipple to make sure that none of that tissue had any cancer in it. I find out my final path results on Monday the 19th.

I feel like I'm smaller than what I was which is surprising. He said with nipple sparing mastectomy's I have all that skin to fill so they would have to put in similar size implants to make me the same. They removed 615g of Breast tissue from each side and the PS said that I had at a wide chest so they had to use 615ml implants. Maybe they will look better when the swelling and bruising is gone. I spoke with my friends who did my case and my scrub nurse said that I will be very happy with the results after everything is said and done, so I have that to look forward to 😁

Sleeping has been a challenge because I am a side sleeper. I always sleep with a pillow between my knees and one under my head and I hug a pillow. I am unable to do this now. When I turn to the side at all I feel like I have bowling ball weights pulling on my chest. So my doctor did pre-pectoral which means over the pectoral muscle and he used an entire sheet of AlloDerm to cover the implant and it is sewn directly to the chest wall muscle. This way the weight of the implant will not pull down and he could go over the muscle which is supposed to be less painful. Boy am I glad I did over the muscle because if my current pain is any indication of what it would be like under the muscle I would be really hurtin' for certain!

Let's us know how you're doing! Thank you ladies for your support !!! Sorry I ramble a lot. I'm under the influence of pain meds so I hope this all makes sense!

Gia

• bli2018
    bli2018 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I'm 10 days post op for rt mx w/ expander.  My PS said he used the larger drains and they won't work w/ most of the standard size items. So before you buy anything ask.  I made a small pillow which was wonderful for the ride home, used an old lanyard for showers and put pockets on the inside of a couple mens shirts w/ scrap fabric and iron on tape.  The best purchase was a body pillow for sleeping or to just prop up your arms. Best of luck to all!  You got this!

• Kimmy_nl
    Kimmy_nl Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi ladies,

I had my DMX with immediate recon, tissue expanders March 6. Surgery went well, I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I had one drain out Monday and the last one out yesterday and the wound vac with the prevena bandage came off as well. Since I came home I’ve only had to take Advil and Tylenol for the pain. I’m only wearing the compression band and a sports bra now, no dressings.

Woke up today with the terrible burning pain sensation. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hope everyone on here is recovering well! And to those awaiting surgery, best of luck, hugs

• midatlanticmom
    midatlanticmom Member Posts: 4
    Options

I am scheduled for 3/21. It's definitely been a wild ride so far. I am going ahead with the bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction. I'm glad to hear so many of you are already on the mend. I've purchased a few items for my recovery including a mastectomy pillow (etsy), body pillow (leachco back and belly) to prevent me from trying to roll over, a wedge pillow, pink pockets (for drains.) Someone suggested an electric toothbrush to make brushing easier - less arm movement. I got a prescription from my bs for a mastectomy camisole, so I'm heading to Nordstrom on Saturday for that....it was the recommended place to buy it.

Hugs to all of you <3

• Darnit_DDD
    Options

I have burning pain/stinging along the incision areas at times. It isn’t anything I can’t handle and Tylenol and Advil help with it, but there are more pleasant sensations in the world. Happy

Sleeping with the drains is getting old. The rest of my body isn’t crazy about sleeping on my back reclined exclusively, but stretching and walking the next dayhelps my back deal with that nightly reality.

I hope everyone is feeling some relief soon, hang in there, it does get better with each passing day!!

• Alicesneed
    Alicesneed Member Posts: 78
    Options

Had BMX Wednesday without reconstruction. 4 lymph nodes pulled -initial pathology shows no cancer in lymph nodes. Thank God. My surgery took less than 2 hours. Got home yesterday around 11. Overall feeling very fortunate. Not a lot of pain. Took one tramadol last night but didn’t take anything else. Will switch to Advil or Tylenol today and reserve opioids to help me sleep at night. Hospital gave me two heart pillows and camisole. I think I used 8 pillows last night! Anxious about taking bandages off today and “looking” for first time. Best wishes and smooth healing to all

• Cin17
    Options

Hi everyone, got home this afternoon. Single mastectomy with reconstruction. My plastic surgeon was able to go straight to implant and my breast surgeon said the nodes were clear. I had nipple sparing surgery too and was stunned when I looked down, no surgery bra, and couldn't see any incision. It's all along the underside of my new boob.

Dhbbfh_1999, you are so knowledgeable. I've been going through this journey in a bit of a daze, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Like you, I'm taking my pain killers regularly, the doctor said I'd know when to stop. I may remove the surgery bra that I put on today. Thought it would help with drain management but the plastic surgeon said it wasn't necessary, and it's bugging my incision.

Darnit_DDD, I had a deep jolt with tingle in my arm yesterday but it seems to have subsided. Startingto get a mild tingling across my chest. The incision didn't start really hurting until today. Probably to much moving around. Just getting into bed is an ordeal.

Alicesneed, glad you're relatively pain free and comfortable.

Quick healing and gentle hugs to all!

Gina

• Cin17
    Options

midatlantic, it sounds like you're well prepared. I'm using a step to get in out of bed. Someone else had mentioned and it's been a necessity once I got home

• Darnit_DDD
    Options

Soundslike everyone is doing pretty good, thanks for the updates, hugs to all and hoping everyone is feeling better this weekend!

• CreatureKeeper
    CreatureKeeper Member Posts: 18
    Options

Yesterday's surgery went well. Started at 7:30 am and home by 3 pm. The whole team at the hospital was so great and upbeat. It really helped the mood. One nurse on my team came by to let me know she was a survivor. Her chat with me was heartwarming. 

Getting out of bed has been the biggest challenge since I'm tempted to roll to my right where the main surgical sites are. Today I can sense the cath line in my neck if I move a certain way. 

• CreatureKeeper
    CreatureKeeper Member Posts: 18
    Options

My path report came back. Nodes are clear! That's the good news. Bad news is that some margins weren't clear so a re-excision is recommended. I will meet with the surgeon on Monday. 

Today (Wednesday) I've been feeling much better. I can finally take a shower comfortably and move around with less pain. Only taking Tylenol for discomfort. On Monday I drove myself to my PCP's office. The driving was uncomfortable but it was great to get out for a bit.