Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

March 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options
124»

Comments

• Cin17
    Cin17 Member Posts: 41
    Options

Christine50… the wipes are to clean yourself when you can't take a shower. I'm still using them.

For me, the most useful items were: 1) button up PJs (since you can't lift your arm/s over your head); 2) drain belt (mine was a little fanny pack sort of thing that I found on Amazon, it included a plastic bag for showering); 3) a step to get into bed (the kind for little kids to reach the sink, I used one for several days after surgery); 4) my mastectomy pillow; 5) a wedge pillow for sleeping upright; 6) a little neck roll pillow; 7) a seat belt cover/cushion for riding in the car; 8) a tray or basket to keep all your meds nearby…

And a puppy! Just kidding. But my husband finally relented to getting a dog after years of yearning. It's been a lot of work so I don't recommend it. Luckily, Oscar arrived two weeks after surgery. I could never have taken care of him before that. He's my impetus to exercise as we go for walks every day. As a matter of fact we are due for one now.

If you need links to products, I can provide them. Warm wishes for a quick recovery. Let us know how it goes.

Gina

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

Christine I used an extra bed pillow to support my belly and chest ... I slept on my good side and a neckroll pillow under my left arm to pad my L breast from the weight of my arm. I was rather comfortable sleeping that way. My advise is to just have a variety of pillows from small and soft to bed pillow size. I hope this helps you ((hugs))

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

My update...its not all that bad. Uncomfortable YES! I do have aches and pains in my tummy and upper back but I think they're from sitting at the dining room table. I've learned it takes A LOT of muscles to just sit upright lol

I'm trying to deal with the fact that my axillary lymph nodes were taken along with the Sentinel node on the left side because the IDC escaped my breast. For some reason BS took the Sentinel node on the right but it was clear.

Ok time to go be a couch potato for a while. Nurse came this morning and tomorrow she will change the dressings. Good news is that the right drain will come out soon. At 430am it had 30cc but at 8am only had 5cc

• Christene502
    Christene502 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hey Ladies,

Have you thought about mastectomy bras?

Have you gone to a fitting?

I am wondering about Nordstrom's program. I just don't like the fact they are a very expensive store in my area.

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

hi girls! I'm wondering for my mom, how long did you girls wait to have surgery after chemo? My mom finishes chemo July 23rd and we have an appt with BS July 10th to discuss the MX and MRi. Curious how long The wait is between end of chemo to surgery. Thanks!

• TrishaFL
    TrishaFL Member Posts: 19
    Options

It's been almost a year since surgery for most of us. How is everyone doing?

I just had a revision surgery on Thursday to hopefully get flat closure on my left side. We'll see how things look on Monday.