Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo May 2019

Options

Comments

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

At least the ginger is a plus!

I have fun baking experimental muffins with all healthy ingredients. I use ground organic flaxseed, almond meal, coconut flour, whey protein isolate in place of flour....

flavorings can be w fresh or dried berries, pureed sweet potato or pumpkin, pineapple, carrot, zucchini, seed & nut, etc...

I play with basic recipes reducing sugar, wheat, and 'bad' fats and replacing with good alternatives and nutrient dense phyto active foods & seeds...

You even have horses you can feed the rejects to!!

• jrominger
    jrominger Member Posts: 342
    Options

Santabarbarian. Your info and example to us is very helpful. We are doing the same kind of thing but will give your “flour” a try. Fun stuff. I have a sweet tooth but want eat as healthy as possible. If anyone has a fantabulous recipe for a fun “desert” that is mostly healthy, pass it on and I will give it a try!! T

• April0315
    April0315 Member Posts: 167
    Options

Hello.... I have been down and out sick, probably just a cold, but I haven't been this sick in over 15 yrs. It started with my husband, then my daughter and now me. I'm thinking the immune system must take a while to get back to normal.

Hope everyone else is staying healthy!

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Hi April, Hope you will be feeling better soon. I stayed very healthy during chemo and rads, but came down with a chest cold that lasted over a week right after Thanksgiving. Yes, probably does take a while for our immunity to get back to normal. Take care of yourself. Pat🙏

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    Options

Sorry to hear April. Hope you are getting better soon. Germs have not reached our neck of the woods yet. It has been so mild lately.

Nothing new to report here. I am doing very well, dare I say better than ever? And I am just so thankful for that.

• jrominger
    Options

April. What a bummer. Dang colds. Hopefully you will be 100% by Christmas!! Going to be a white Christmas here in Flagstaff!!

Mightlybird. Good to hear from you and even better that you are feeling so well. I am so happy to hear that.

Natalie is doing very well as well. Cording is much improved. Only slight pain near her elbow. PT has done wonders but she is canceling a lot because she doesn’t want to miss out on Christmas stuff. She was fitted for bras and prosthetics. They were so kind to her and she looks like a million bucks!! She is going to a yoga class with all breast cancer survivors. Quite proud of her as she is so reclusive/private. She is enjoying it. I pray daily for everyone on this thread!!! Wishing each one of you a blessed Christmas and I know 2020 is going to be an amazing year for all of you. God Bless and Happy Holidays!

Jay

• April0315
    Options

It's officially one week since I started to get sick and I think I'm finally turning the corner. Thanks for all the well wishes.

So nice to hear everyone is feeling so great and moving a long towards wellness and having the hardest times behind us.

I am ready for the holidays and our trip to Kona Jan 3rd (my husbands uncle gifted us his time share for this year).

My plan is to start back at the gym after the holiday. I'd have gone last week but I got sick. looking forward to getting back in a nice healthy routine.

Happy Holidays everhyone!

• mightlybird01
    Options

jrominger, I am so glad that Nat is doing well and the cording is almost gone. I bet the Yoga class is great. April, one week seems like a very good timing to turn around from a severe cold. It usually takes me much longer than that. That cough sometimes lingers on for weeks... Hope you have fun in Kona.

Yesterday, I washed all my chemo caps to be stored away. It was a great moment!!!

• April0315
    Options

Mightly, not only did I wash all my caps and scarves, I sent them off to a friend who just found out she's going thru chemo for BC. More than happy to have those out of the house! next month, surgical bras are going away. I still have some days where I appreciate the extra support.

I'm still sick, it's just that I've finally begun to start feeling better. This cough isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I did get some cooking done yesterday for tomorrow, everything is wrapped and just one little trip to the store today. YIKES

Jay you guys must be getting snow bc it's pouring rain down in the valley!

Merry Christmas Eve!!!

• bamr
    bamr Member Posts: 52
    Options

I think I've caught up on reading all your stories. I try to disappear occasionally from this site because I get so wrapped up in it. Happy holidays and lots of love to everyone in our May group. We've been through a lot together! I believe I am a better person for it. Thank you for all your helpful posts.

I have about 10 more radiation treatments, and it has been a piece of cake until the last couple of treatments. Starting to get more painful and tight and I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks. But, then I get a month off before I have to go back to the chemo room to start the Zometa infusions. I'm also going to start Femara in February. The BC boards have nothing encouraging to say about any of this! Are any of you going to go on an AI drug?

We're giving my kids and their significant others a trip to Hawaii to see my sister in Hawaii and attend the wedding of my nephew in January. My entire family has been so supportive of me this year. I want to spend as much time with them as I can.

Love snow at Christmas time, but in Texas we rarely see it. I'm jealous!

• santabarbarian
    Options

Wishing all of you a very happy holiday with loved ones, and a WONDERFUL 2020!!

• lacombattante
    lacombattante Member Posts: 141
    Options

Merry Christmas, May family !

• jrominger
    Options

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!image

• lacombattante
    Options

An aftermath of the Christmas feast :) Now on to New Year Eve! Happy

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Merry Christmas everyone. Loved the pics. Here's to a happier, healthier 2020.

Love and prayers to my favorite group,

Pat💕

• April0315
    Options

Merry Christmas! Loved the pics

Bamr... I’ve been on Femara since October. I’ve had no issues yet.

• mightlybird01
    Options

Merry Christmas from us too! LaCombattan, how was the Raclette? I am from the Swiss border (Basel) and that's what we would have at Christmas. Hubby and I had cheese fondue instead on the 24th and then the standard American Christmas meal with friends on the 25th. Kind of hard to find Raclette cheese over here, plus my Raclette oven did not cooperate at 110V only..

BAMR, I hope the next few weeks will be bearable for you. It does not sound like a walk in the park. Keep us posted!

• lacombattante
    Options

hi Mightlybird!

The Raclette was too good (= we all are still recovering from it Winking). Can you believe that my work is, actually based in Basel? I have been working from home during my treatment, but will be going back to the office in January.

BAMR: I was on Femara for four years and found it very tolerable. In fact, better than Tamoxifen. Okay, bone density is a concern but Zometa should take care of it. I am on Aromasin now and so far - so good.

I had my first Zometa infusion in October; I did experience flu like symptoms for a couple of days, with low grade fever, achey bones, tiredness. My MO assured me that, in her experience, the 2nd infusion is tolerated much better. Also, I read on these boards that 30 min infusion is easier to tolerate than 15 min one, alas, I read this too late. Wishing you luck with the rads, my skin was holding up nicely until the very end but took not-so sweet revenge afterwards. Praying for a better outcome for you!

Jrominger, what a fabulous photo!

HappyAnyway, pray you are doing well on Xeloda. It is a good chemo for TNBC and I think that you are doing the right thing by throwing everything at it.

UpStateNYer, santabarbaian, April, All - best holiday wishes to you and your loved ones. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers daily.

• palmetto
    palmetto Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi May friends! Sorry I’ve been MIA lately. I guess you could say I’ve been enjoying life getting back to normal. I’ve had a break in treatment- I go for my Tamoxifen prescription January 3. It’s been such a blessing to not have all things cancer at the forefront of my mind!

I had a nice holiday. My birthday was Christmas Eve, and I went to lunch with a gf who was back in town visiting family, and then the afternoon/evening I spent with my sons. Christmas was fairly relaxing. I cooked, and that was actually a nice change.

I’ve also caught some respiratory crud that has me coughing and sneezing. I don’t feel bad, though, so it may just be the horrid mountain cedar. Maybe I can escape it this weekend when I go to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl! Should be an interesting trip... I (probably the biggest Clemson fan in the world) am going with my bff who is an Ohio St fan. What were we thinking?! Lol I’m sure we will have a great time. (Go Tigers!!

• mightlybird01
    Options

Palmetto, so good to hear from you and that you have enjoyed life in the meantime!

LaCombattan, I am going to be in Basel (Weil am Rhein, just across the border) in February for my dad's 80th birthday. I usually fly into Zuerich and take the train. We could have a mini-reunion, if weather permits a little hike maybe..

We had such wonderful warm Christmas weather here at the southern tip of lake Michigan we could do our walks without hats, gloves and even jackets.. I finally like my hair well enough to post a picture. This is my new hands-free dog walking belt, brought by father Christmas. Doggy and I are going to start training for a 5K. Hubby is already a runner, and I just want to see if I can do it. I am pretty sure I can but have to just actually do it, and train doggy not to stop and sniff all the time..

• jrominger
    Options

Palmetto so good to hear from you. Getting away from cancer is a beautiful thing!!! The Fiesta bowl should be a blast. Phoenix/Tempe this time of year is glorious as far as weather. We live 2 hrs north and the mountain received another 19” of snow. I’m heading out to blow last nights new 5”. We are heading to Sedona for 3 days to get some warmer weather!!! Plus today is our 38th wedding anniversary!

Mightlybird thank you for the picture. You look amazing. Don’t let that beast pull you down.

Lacombattante so great to hear from you and your picture was wonderful. Thank you for sending it! I’ll sneak a Christmas pic of Natalie so you can see her hair. I love that it came in white. She on the other hand is not so sure. She likes it but thinks it ages her. Two grandsons are in the picture as well.

Off to shovel and get to warmer weather!

Jimage

• lacombattante
    Options

Jrominger, congratulations to you and Nat! 38 years together - WOW! What a wealth of love, memories and happiness you two share! Natalie looks wonderful, white hair with her young face is super stylish! Enjoy your trip to Sedona!

Mightlybird, fanatstic idea to meet up, let me know when you plan to be in there. Hans and I used to live quite close to The Three Countries bridge and wandered into Wail am Rhein couple of times

Palmetto, have fun in Phoenix!

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    Options

Hello everyone! I had typed a long response to each of you and lost it! Argh!

Condensed version:

I'm sorry for all of you who have had or currently have the crud. Seems like upper respiratory viruses are especially persistent these days.

Hope everyone's cording and range of motion have improved. I'm now all good in that regard.

G1973, I have learned to keep something in my stomach at all times on Xeloda. If not, I have severe stomach cramps with diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously. Think stomach virus. Sorry to be so graphic. My liver panels are elevated, too. I have an ultrasound of my abdomen next week. My strategy is to eat something immediately upon waking and grazing throughout the day. I'm taking it with breakfast and dinner. I wonder if my MO will adjust the dosage.

Tissue expanders are a trip. Little bit says they feel like rocks. :) Wish I could disagree. They don't hurt, they're awkward. Remember the fembots from Austin Powers?

Beautiful photos, jrominger, LaCombattante and mightlybird01!

Mightlybird01, thanks for the recipe! I saved it. I have a cast iron Dutch oven that I want to make it in.

Santabarbarian, please give up a recipe or two. ;) My girls and I like to bake.

For those of you who are going on vacation, yay! Have an awesome time.

Happy Anniversary, jrominger!

Happy Belated Birthday, palmetto!

I had a new port inserted today. I start Keytruda in January. I will take infusions for a year.

I think that's it for now!

Welcome 2020!

• santabarbarian
    Options

Happy Anyway, I will post a recipe soon -- next time I make them, I will measure. Normally I do it by eye. Great to hear from you.

• bamr
    bamr Member Posts: 52
    Options

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. Love being able to put a face to the name with your pictures. My hair looks very similar to yours, Mightlybird, and actually, I really like it now. My ears don't look as big. (One of my friends said I'm just used to them being exposed now. Maybe that's true.) I love Nat's white hair, too. I think that looks very classy. Thanks, Jay, for posting it. Tell that gorgeous woman to start going out in public like that!

April, no issues with Femara? Not even achy bones? Let me know how you do ongoing. Maybe I'll be just fine and I'm worried over nothing. Lacomb, are your Zometa infusions every 6 months? Why did you switch to aromasin? Seems like I'm going to have the same radiation effects that you did. Twice yesterday was not fun but that was the end of whole breasts. Now, 5 boosts. Today, I'm finding raw skin under my armpits that really stings when I use the Miaderm.

Palmetto, I'll be a Clemson fan tonight, too. As a Texas fan, we think Ohio State football is good, but since we play them occasionally, we won't ever root for them. And, as a Texas fan, we are cheering hard for LSU, too! If Clemson ends up against Oklahoma, that's a Longhorn no-brainer as to which side we will be on. Haha! Have a good time at the Fiesta bowl. Hope that crud has left you.

Happy, good to hear you're doing well. Why would you get a new port? I thought some people had the same one for years. I kind of wish they had left mine in to do the Zometa infusions. I don't like needles in my arm. I always love new recipes! I'm going to have to go back and see what I've missed from Mightlybird.

Wonder if we'll have a hard time writing 2020. Seems like I just learned 2019. Happy New Year to all!

• lacombattante
    Options

hi BAMR,

Yes, my Zometa infusions are every six months. I used to be on Prolia but my MO switched me to Zometa as it has been shown to reduce risk of bone metastasis. She also suggested change to Aromasin, a steroidal AI which, in her words, is « a cousin, not a twin » of Femara on which I progressed. She and I both know how low is the chance that this change will overcome resistance to AIs, but the fact is, there are no additional treatment options for locoregional progression that are approved / accepted by official guidelines. I continue pestering her, however, with information on new research and new trials that could be a fit in my case. I don't give up easily, she knows this by now Winking

HappyAnyway, I think your MO is fantastic! He doesn't leave a stone unturned. Hope Keytruda will treat you gently but efficiently and effectively!

Edited to add a couple of photos from our snowshoeing trip today:)

• lacombattante
    Options

two more pics from today

• jrominger
    Options

lacombattante we so love the pics THANK YOU!! Natalie and I got snowshoes from Santa this year!!! Haven’t tried them yet.

Bamr, Happyanyway, santabarbarian, mightlybird, everyone so good to hear from you all. Happy New Year!!!

Photos from 38th wedding anniversary in Sedona.

Jayimage

• jrominger
    Options

imageimage

• santabarbarian
    Options

Not much is better than a chilly clear day on a hiking trail!!