Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo May 2019

Options

Comments

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    Options

HappyAnyway, I have been thinking about you all day too. Bummer, more waiting. Hope you can fill the time without too much worrying.

UpstateNYer, bummer the cold came back! I am a bit worried catching it too, and with the hype about the Corona Virus, and my upcoming Trans-Atlantic flight, I wanted to get some surgical masks today. But of course they were all sold out in the CVS pharmacy. So I tried ordering some online and there too, all sold out. There are some available for 300.- or so!! Something that normally costs 5.- !! Some people obviously are trying to make a profit. I have one mask here at home, that one must do for the flight. Plus lots of hand sanitizers. And maybe a scarf.

Palmetto, I am impressed with your progress on the book (and boobs :-)!!

I have been on a bit of a shopping spree recently. Bought myself a new pillow and a Le Creuset pot. These pots are expensive, but I just thought it is now or never. They have a 30 year warranty. I vegan stew is simmering away in it :-)! I learned that it is a very healthy way of cooking, especially when using acidy foods (such as tomatoes), where stainless steel pots leak small amounts of metals. I have a nickel allergy and stainless steel does contain nickel. My nickel allergy recently flared up from my fitbit. Took me some time to figure that out and ended up having to send back my fitbit after 5 months. They will reimburse my money, so this is good. The charging port of the fitbit (any fitness tracker for that matter) contains nickel and I got a bad itchy rash on my wrist. Interestingly, all through chemo I had no allergy, but one month after chemo ended, it appeared. I believe it is because all the steroids suppressed my nickel allergy, which I knew I had for a long time, but I never knew that the charging port on the fitbit would be giving me any problems until 1 months after chemo, when it did. So if you are considering getting a fitness tracker, make sure you don't have a nickel allergy!

Oh, and there is some news on the hair front, I buzzed the white/gray edges off the other day and I would say that my normal hair color is back. I have no curls (yet?). I somehow doubt I will get those, as my hair is extremely straight.

Here is to a good week to everyone.

• palmetto
    palmetto Member Posts: 88
    Options

Mightly, I may have to try the buzz thing. I have lots of gray, which I don’t like, but people around me seem to love. And my hair IS getting some curl or wave. It’s still so short right now, it’s hard to tellimage

• April0315
    April0315 Member Posts: 167
    Options

HappyAnyway, so sorry to hear about the needing another and liver concerns. Praying everything starts to go a little smoother for you.

Upstate NYer, sorry you are sick again. I, too, have never been one to get sick and this winter seems to be kicking my butt.

Had my oncology f/u yesterday. My first time back since the last chemo session. Everything looks fine, no change in my plan of care. He offered me Prolia for my bones, I have mild osteopenia. I'm going to hold off for now till my next Dexa scan. See if my calcium/vit D supplements are enough to rebuild or at least hold steady. If not I'll start then. I assume the Prolia has side effects so I need to research that a bit before I go ahead. I hated being back in that office. My husband wanted to stop by the infusion side to say hello to our favorite nurses and I just couldn't. Just didn't even want to walk in that place. Maybe next time. I go back in 6 months.

Palmetto, glad the book is coming along. I will get some revision work done as well (fat grafting and a scar revision of my port site) I set a goal to be back at my pre-diagnosis weight before I do that. My weight gain and slow loss is really bothering me.

• April0315
    Options

hair

I went in to see my hairdresser bc I have no idea what this short hair deal is all about. She trimmed it up and got rid of some of those white tips as well. I still have more grey than I care for and it's shorter than I would ever want it to be, but I am oddly curious as to what it's going to look like down the road. It's kinda funny to see us all in the same hair style!

• mightlybird01
    Options

Palmetto, you have much less gray than I had! Interestingly, everyone around me also liked the way it looked. I kind of liked it too, but at the end of the day, I just wanted to see what is under there and if I get back to my old self, and it seems that yes, the color is exactly the same as before. I had to cut off about 1cm (0.4 inches) and now it is a real buzz, as my hair is so straight. Not looking that great but I am happy I go rid of the gray. My hair also has this weird growth pattern, the hair on the back of my head grow forward, and on the front backwards, where both sets of hair meet they push each other up. I also have a swirl on my front that I always had and that one too is just like it was before.

April, I ment to ask you something: did you take any precautions for your breasts/arms on your recent flight to Hawai? I read some people put on compression garnments just as a precaution. I'll be flying for 9h. Thanks!

Jrominger, enjoy the grandkids and the sight seeing!

• April0315
    Options

Mightly, I did not take any precautions, and I did wonder if I should have. I'll be sure to ask at my next appointment. I fly frequently so if I need sleeves I need to get on the ball. Let me know what you find out.

• jrominger
    jrominger Member Posts: 342
    Options

imageimageHi everyone. Here is photo of Natalie’s white curly short hair. She is ready for some length but is hesitant to cut any growth 🤪

April we can totally relate to going back to the cancer clinic!!! We had Natalie’s pre op appointment for the ovarian surgery. It was not easy to be back at CTCA. Sad to see those just starting down this path!! Natalie’s surgery is 2/12. She has to have medically necessary procedure to verify they don’t nick the bladder or urethra. Geez that would be all we need 😳. We’ll be happy to have it all over and done with. They say it should only take 45 min with a recovery period of 10 days. So not anything like the DMX!!

Blessings to all!!

Jimageimage

• palmetto
    Options

JRom- Nat looks great! I love her hair. And the grands must be doing you both wonders. :)

How are you, HappyAnyway? I've been thinking about you.

How's the cold, Pat? I think I may have jinxed myself a bit. I ran out of elderberry (nooooo!), and I've noticed an uptick in sneezing and coughing. Yuck. I'll have to see if my mom can bring me more from my sister (she makes and sells it in her business) when she comes to help me after my surgery.

Hugs to all.

• mightlybird01
    Options

I could not agree more! It looks great. Actually more blond than white..

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    Options

I think you all look great!

Just got back from having my port exchanged. This time it's near my left shoulder. I'm more sore than usual, but expect it's from the location.

I'm alright. Thanks everyone for your concern.

Peace out love to you all.

• jrominger
    Options

Happyanyway. Glad that is over and hopefully it will be as comfortable as it can possibly be!! Hang tough and thank you for keeping us in the loop!!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Happy Anyway: you are one tough cookie -- I admire your strength and attitude. Hang in there! You'll be underway and before you know it through this phase too.

Natalie looks gorgeous! Her hair may darken: mine has. It was white/grey and now it's steely dark grey. Also getting straighter as it comes in. I am so jealous of those grandchildren! I love the little ones.

Love to all the others in the May brigade!

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    Options

Thank you, Santabarbarian. I'm inspired by the amazing people on this site, including those who I don't have personal communication with.

Palmetto I'm thinking of you today! Here's to a relatively smooth surgery and recovery.

Jrominger, Natalie and you are in my thoughts as well, as she has her surgery tomorrow.

Much love to all of you well coiffed, silver haired beauties!

• palmetto
    Options

Hello May lovelies, I had my surgery today and it went very well- thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, HappyAnyway. I’m coming off anesthesia, so I’ll keep this short, but did want to send my well wishes and prayers to Nat, Jay.

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

hi all, Good to hear from you, Happyanyway. Hope you are doing well.

Palmetto- So happy to hear that you are doing well after surgery. I am finally feeling healthy and fully recovered from my cold. Wish Spring would get here, been so very cold in my area.

Jrom- Prayers🙏for a successful surgery for Nat tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well. 💞

• April0315
    Options

HappyAnyway, Good to hear from you! How's the new port working? How are you feeling?

Palmetto, glad your surgery went well. I need one more as well, just some fat transfer and scar revision, I'm waiting till I get back to a normal weight and pre-cancer fitness level, so a few more months. How are you feeling? and how's the book coming along?

Jrom, how is Nat feeling, how did surgery go?

Upstate, glad your cold is gone and hopefully spring comes early for you guys!

I'm doing well, trying to eat better and working out more. Getting stronger every day. Now if only there weren't so many snacks and treats at work. I ate way too much dark chocolate yesterday....

Work is really busy this time of year, lots of babies being born, and I have to complete 12 performance evaluations in the next few days so I'll be cranking that out today on my day off. I'm heading to Charleston SC next week for a little trip with my BFF. Really looking forward to it, and makes getting these evals done a little easier. Gotta get em done so I can go on vacation with a clear conscious!

Miss you all! But so happy we are all moving along with life and feeling better and healing.

• jrominger
    Options

Hi everyone, so good to hear from everybody. Sounds like UpstateNYer, April, Palmetto, Happyanyway mightlybird, santabarbarian, lacombattante and more are all hanging tough and moving forward. Glad to see progress, successful surgeries, trips, vacations and I guess busy work schedules.

Natalie had her ovaries/fallopian tubes taken out this past Wednesday. Surgery went well and the ovaries appeared healthy. The pain was over the top for Nat and she is tougher than most!!! More pain than the DMX. Normal abdominal pain but the CO2 they pump in to your abdomen was what caused so much pain. It gets better every day. It was her last surgery. They will monitor her pancreas all due to BRCA2 mutation. A crazy last 10 months!! Her 1st 3 month BC check went spectacularly. So we are grateful for that. All in all we are hanging tough and moving forward. Blessings to all of you and come visit the Grand Canyon and N AZ!!!

Jay and Natal

• palmetto
    Options

Glad to hear Nat is on the mend, Jay! We are all so blessed to be able to keep pushing forward.

April- the book is coming along well. I write about 30 minutes most days and I’ve got 23 pages so far. I’m so excited for your Charleston trip! I’m from that area originally. I love it, and hope you will, too!

Pat- glad to hear you have finally vanquished the cold and are feeling better. I hope it warms up for you soon

• mightlybird01
    Options

Hello May friends!

Just checking in after my trip to Germany. I had a great but also little bit exhausting time, having family pure and compressed in one week. My dad turned 80 so there was a lot going on! It turned out that traveling in the times of Corona virus is great! I was the ONLY one in the security line in O'Hare. Two officers were waiting for me. Landed in Zuerich, of 21 baggage belts only our flight from Chicago was occupied. The arrivals hall was deserted and it took 3 minutes for the luggage to come out. Only small lay up was customs, as all customs officers had nothing to do, they decided to screen my bag. That took only 2 minutes. On the flight back, I had a whole row for myself. That has not happened in 15 years of flying in and out of O'Hare. No one was sneezing or coughing, but I stilled washed my hands a lot and had my hand sanitizer. Did not need the face masks (THANKS UpstateNYer for sending those!), but had them handy in my hand luggage in case I ended up next to someone with a cold. I would have not hesitated to use them.

I got lots of compliments on my hair! I felt totally normal, like as if nothing had ever happened. Breast cancer was no major topic and that was wonderful.

Unfortunately, LaCombattan and I did not get to meet. It was just too short of a visit to find a time we could both make it. Attached a few pictures. This is the view of my home town in the front, Basel, Switzerland just across the river Rhine to the left, and Mulhouse (France) just across the river to the right. If you look carefully you can maybe see LaCombattan working away in her office:-)!

I am glad to read that all of you regular posters are doing well. I hope Nat is back to normal after that last surgery. I had my first check up the day after I got back. Nothing much happened, only a physical exam and some questions. But no blood test, that will be done in 3 months, when I will also have my first post cancer mammogram.

Keep us posted and happy weekend everyone.

• jrominger
    Options

Mightlybird. What a fantastic trip. Amazing that airport crowds were so diminished!! You look great and the fact that cancer was not a topic is a relief!!

Natalie is finally doing better. The ovary/fallopian tube surgery was tougher than expected. Pathology showed they looked perfect and her 3 month check up was extremely positive.

Here is a pic of her sweet labradoodle hair style. I love it.

Hope everyone on this thread is living life and doing well. No colds!!!!!!

• palmetto
    Options

Hey May friends! It’s quiet on the thread so I’m hoping that means everyone is doing well and carrying on with life post-cancer. I think of you all often.

I had a haircut and color yesterday. I’m so excited for the little things- they mean I’m getting back to normal. :) I just wanted to share my small milestone with you all. Let’s catch up!image

• ByUmom2
    ByUmom2 Member Posts: 36
    Options

palmetto you look amazing! Glad to hear you are getting back to normal. I have had my hair trimmed a couple of times so far and a little color done last month. I would post a pic, but don’t have a recent one. I will try to put one up soon!😉 I am still doing my Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks. Should finish up in June. Getting ready for my daughters to fly home to La. next week...one lives and works in Austin, TX and my youngest is in college in Cambridge, Mass. so I am super excited to get to visit with both at the same time! Also staying busy having physical therapy for a partial tear in my rotator cuff. 😬Lol! Definitely love to catch up with all the warriors!!❤️
  • UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

You are looking good, Palmetto. Love your hairstyle and color. I am trying to decide on what to do with mine. Had bloodwork done and all looks good. I will have my first MRI and mammogram since treatments completed at the end of this month. Ins. would only approve me for the lumpectomy breast for MRI. Grrr. Otherwise, feeling very well. Keeping up with my workouts and walks.

ByUmom2- looks like you are doing well. Post a pic when you can.

Jrom-Nat's hair color and style are so cute. Glad that her surgery is finally completed (sorry that it was tougher than expected)and pathology was normal.

Mightlybird01- Glad to hear that your trip went well. So good to hear that you got through flights and airports so easily. Loved your pics. You look great!

Hi to all of my May friends😳 Hoping everyone is doing well. Pat

• April0315
    Options

palmetto you look amazing! I told myself I was waiting a full year before coloring mine but I’m getting annoyed with the grey. You might have pushed me over the edge :)

Jay I love Natalie hair too, here seems so long!

My hair is looking all sorts of crazy lately. No idea what I’m doing with it.

Had a great time in Charleston. Super fun and beautiful.

pat I’m glad to hear you are pushing thru your final treatments and that MRI on only one breast is very bothersome. Hang in there!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Waving hello to you beautiful May people!! Palmetto you rock the short hairdo!

I am thinking of you, Happy Anyway, and hoping things are going well for you in your treatment, and that it will wind up soon.

love,

SB

PS, One year & 3 mos PFC, with one haircut to even things out at the beginning, and several "de-mulleting" trims of the back part, my hair has grown about 6-7"-- now I can tuck my bangs behind my ears and manage a short ponytail

• mightlybird01
    Options

Palmetto, you look amazing!!!

Yes, life post cancer is more or less normal. Though I am thinking quite a bit about my 1 year since diagnosis coming up soon. But other than that things are going very well. One of my chickens is pretty old, and I think we may have to say good by to her. She is at least 6 years old. Next week I am getting 8 new baby chicks, the egg layers for the next 5-6 years.. Looking forward to raising baby chicks again, they are so much fun.

Thanks for checking in everyone.

• jrominger
    Options

It is so great to hear from so many May ladies. Palmetto you look stunning!!! So cool.

Natalie had her first haircut yesterday. It looks way cute. The grey color is quite the trend!!

So happy everyone is moving forward, loving life, kicking butt on treatments, traveling and raising some chickens!!!! I love it!

I think and pray for this group daily!! Hope to hear from everyone!!

Jay

• ByUmom2
    ByUmom2 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Finally got around to get a pic to post. Hair is really growing! Had a couple of trims already. Hope all are doing well and hope to see pics of each of you as well! Much love and prayers to all!

• palmetto
    Options

ByUmom2, I love it!! It looks so chic

• jrominger
    Options

Umom2 you look spectacular!!

Hiking in Sedona Natalie's cute hair from the back!!