Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Dawn-Congrats on being NED!

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Margun, Kadcyla is Herceptin mixed with chemo. I'm assuming even though he says I'm technically NED, there is 7mm left of the original mass that's DCIS. Kadcyla should substantially reduce my risk of reoccurrence

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Belinda

Good luck tomorrow, I hope surgery and recovery go well!

Tracy

• notdefined
    Options

Belinda977-Prayers for a smooth surgery and recovery tomorrow!

• notdefined
    Options

I had 2 of my 3 drains taken out today. What a relief. I'm struggling with not doing anything physically. I thought I could at least fold laundry or sweep with my non surgery side, but I was told no to that. I know I should take it easy, and I believe I am, but maybe I'm pushing things too far? DH had to take the kids to the eye doctor, and then to soccer practice. I feel bad enough not being able to drive.

Hope you are all doing well.

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81
    Options

notdefined - I would definitely take it slow. I was 5d post OP Tuesday and had a little swagger about how good I was feeling, lol. I took two 1/4 mile+ walks and felt great. By Tuesday night I was paying the price. Yesterday was by far the worst day. I had to go back to the pain pills and slept most of the day. It's such a tricky balance.

I'm so happy for you on the drains. They are the worst part of recovery for me right now. Tomorrow - fingers crossed - they'll all come out.

I'm sure you're all excited to hear, I finally pooped, lol. Holy mother of everything... that was no joke.

I hope everyone is making strides out there. AK_btrfly thinking of you. The abdominal recovery for me is harder than the mastectomy and I know they had to take some muscle for yours. I hope you're doing ok with that and your tx plans moving forward. It is hard to continue to get bad news. It felt like every apt I had before dx I was told it would be unlikely to be "anything" and each time it was something increasingly suspicious until I finally got the big C confirmed. Anyway, best wishes to you as you recover.

• tmh0921
    Options

notdefined - Yay for get at least 2 of the 3 drains out. those drains are a big pain in the rear end and uncomfortable! I know the feeling of not being able to do things you think or fell you can. The struggle is real. Just take it easy and let your body rest and recover.

HopeWins - I hope your drains come out this week!

AK_btrfly - I know the pathology was a shock, you'll feel better when you know next steps and can move into action with your plan. Several of us are moving on to chemo now, we'll get through this together. You've got this.

Tracy

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

I was kicked out of the drain club yesterday. It seemed long for me (20 days), please don't read that and get upset drain girls! I hope that you all get your out sooner BUT as I was continually reminded, better that the drain does its job and that there is no infection. I have to say, a real shower post drain was wonderful. My PS did a fill of my expander also ( that was weird). Took a good long look at myself yesterday...that is still rough...

I also know that I have started to do too much but it feels like I have not been “normal" all this year and I want todo more. I just washed my little dog (don't tell on me 😳).My BS is not sure if I need radiation and the Docs are going to meet to discuss. I know that the truth is, that is next, ugh!

Is anybody else still kind of sore? I'm 21 days post surgery and I'm still sore. I guess I just want to feel normal again.

Laure

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Congrats, notdefined! I'm totally envious. And struggle with the guilt, too. But as my friends have put it - the kids are fine. And the husbands can take it. They're fully capable, too, so let them for now. It's not forever. My 8yo was begging me to pick her up right after school like I used to and I felt terrible telling her to go to aftercare instead. Sigh. Compromises that get us to the finish line of healed!

hopewins, wow. I was thinking of venturing out for a walk today and may now reconsider. Or keep it super short. Take it easy. Slow and steady and all that. :)

• tmh0921
    Options

Lauren

I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and am still a little sore. I will say, if I move the wrong way too quick or stretch one of my arms too far I get pinching pain.

I think we are all just ready to be normal. It doesn't sound like any of us in this group do well with inactivity. :)

• laurencl
    Options

TMH

Thank you! I get that pinching pain too! Hope that ends soon for all of us!

Lauren

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Laurencl, 3 weeks today and I'm still sore. After my last drain came out I thought I was capable of more than I was. I had my father in law for dinner last week and vacuumed the house. Big mistake. By the time I sat down to eat I was in pain and it lasted 2 days.

I just started sleeping without a bra and it feels so good but if I turn on my right side it still hurts. If I extend my right arm too far it hurts. Every day feels better but not 100% yet.

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

AK_btrfly - I'm sorry the pathology wasn't as good as you had expected. Try to think positively. Your body is tired and healing right now and it's hard to feel like it's going to get better, but it will! Take care of yourself. Get lots of sleep. And know that we are here to support you.

notdefined - Congrats on getting 2 drains out! It makes such a difference. Take it easy on the chores. You're body needs the energy to heal itself. It won't be long until you're able to do more.

Laurencl - I'm 28 days post surgery and I'm still sore. My chest muscles still tighten up at random times. I'm still getting zingers and weird sensations as my nerves try to heal. A decent amount of the numbness has gone away, so that's good. I still tire more easily and I still can't do everything I want to. I still need physical therapy to improve range of motion. But, compared to where I was the day after surgery, I'm pretty happy. I know it will keep getting better. Hang in there. I bet you'll be doing loads better in a couple of weeks.

ACchaos - If you feel like going for a walk, then do it! Just make it a short one. My first few walks, I just went past about 6 houses and then turned around and came home. But, it felt good to have sun on my skin, breath fresh air and do something normal. Every couple of days, I walked a tiny bit further.

If anyone here is in Florida like I am, good luck with the hurricane prep and hope it misses you! I'm supposed to start chemo next Thursday and I'm hoping the worst of the storm misses us, so that the infusion center has power! I'm ready to get it started so that I can get it done!

• notdefined
    Options

LMS-Hope you stay safe during the hurricane! I have a friend out there, and it sounds like you have gotten a lot of weather issues this season.

Hopewins, Tracy, ACchaos -I obviously over estimated my healing ability and underestimated how much the Celebrex was keeping me from pain. Yesterday was the first day without it, and last night was rough. I am sore and slow moving. I will definitely be taking it easy today. The nurse was telling me about a woman who bled to death because she went to her sons soccer game and raised her arms after he scored a goal, so I have that in the back of my mind now.

Hopewins-hope you get your drains out! I would say that having 1 is a lot more manageable than 3!

Laurencl-congats on being drain-free! I am keeping my eye on the prize for the ability to take a full shower.

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

My PS told me about one of her patients who 'aggressively cheered' for her son at a soccer game. The result was that one of her flap reconstructions was lost. She was very clear that the more still I could be for as long as I could take it, the better the result. She played the whole rest of your life to do stuff card. Trying very hard to keep that in mind.

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Thank you for the well wishes! Surgery was today an I am doing well. Just sore and tight. So happy to have this part behind me. Plastic Surgeon was able to do direct implants too.

• tmh0921
    Options

Glad to hear your surgery went well Belinda, I hope you have a smooth recovery.

Tracy

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Finally mom got her surgery on the 29th August after several delays and cancellations! She had a radical left breast mastectomy with several nodes removed.

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Belinda977 and Kkmay's mom - Best wishes for quick healing!

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hey ladies! Got my drain pulled yesterday. What a relief. I am 17 days out of RMX and am really dragging today. I did have a lot of errands/appointments this week. Trying to chill now & through the weekend—taking short walks a couple of times a day. Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend—and everyone in the path of Dorian stays safe!!

• laurencl
    Options

Hey Florida Warriors! Stay safe and let us know how you are!

Lauren

• tmh0921
    Options

Eveldon

Glad to hear surgery went well, and isn’t it a relief to get rid of the drains?

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

I hope everyone in FL remains safe, thinking of y’all

Tracy

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81
    Options

I'm on the no drain train! Woohoo! That's a life changer and I have to say, the abdominal binder is awesome. I'm standing up straight and it's so much easier on the back. If only I could get my pathology results...

Get well all!

• Belinda977
    Options

Home from my dmx surgery. Pretty tight but doing well. Plastic surgeon is pretty aggressive with meds and activity levels. Suggested I go walk at the mall tonight. We will see about that. Lol. Hope everyone is recovering well.

• tmh0921
    Options

Ladies,

We all made it through to the other side of our August surgeries! May everyone’s recovery continue to go well.

For those of us moving on to chemo and/or radiation, we got this!

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Tracy

• AK_btrfly
    AK_btrfly Member Posts: 9
    Options

thanks for the encouragement on the bad pathology everyone! I have an appointment on Tues with Surgical Oncology to get full path results, I have my first medical oncology appointment on Sep 10th and surgery to insert a port on Sept 12th. I also have to have a bunch of scans we are trying to set up.

Had to go in yesterday for fluid build up in my left “breast” Dr removed a few stitches compressed some fluid out and then packed the wound site. Gross and I don’t think I’m as numb as the Dr thinks. Ouch!went back today and the Dr was pleased is was better today.

I only have 1 drain left!!! Yay

Hopewins- my abdomen isn’t the worst, for me it’s my chest especially since they removed part of a rib, that being said my back is killing me when ever I try and walk or stand for too long from the hunched position I have to be in to not stretch my stomach incision/muscles

• Belinda977
    Options

Did anyone have heavy bruising at the top of their breasts? Will be calling the surgeon later this morning.

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

Yay, we made it through August. Congrats to everyone who got drains out, pooped, got good pathology reports, you know who you are. I'm on the mend, but like HopeWins I'm ready for the pathology report. I called the office & they'll tell me nada until the post-op appt which is September 4. If it's the pathology BS predicted, then radiation and done, which for me means going back to work and getting a divorce. If it's not, who knows? I can only quote Tracy again: "For those of us moving on to chemo and/or radiation, we got this!"

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I hope all of you are recovering well. I have still bandages on because there is some yellow secretions at one of the incisions. Hopefully by next week it will be gone. I had bmx, the left was prophylactic. Yesterday when I went to have my herceptin, nurs told me that she cannot apply pressure on any of my hands by the rubber band ( turnekit??)) ,because I had surgery on my both Breststo facilitate needle insertion. She said it is better that I have a port. I did all my chemo without port and I was disappointed that no one told me that I need port after bmx so that I inserted the port during the surgery. I heard that port placement is hurtful and I could avoid at least that. After discussing with her colleagues ( she did not try to reach the doc)the nurse applied slight pressure and inserted needle afr'ter a few attempt. My question to bmx ladies who take herceptin. Do you all have ports and at what stage it was inserted?

• tmh0921
    Options

I don’t take Herceptin, but will be starting TC on Wed. 9/4. I had my port placed during my BMX on 8/5. My oncologist told me I’d need one and they’d insert it before chemo. I asked her if I could just have my surgeon do it during BMX because I didn't want two surgeries. My surgeon was more than happy to do it and worked with the plastic surgeon so it didn’t interfere with what he was doing.