Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

It's been 5 months since my surgery. I occasionally have discomfort with my implants. I've having revision to my reconstruction in March to fix some symmetry and rippling issues. My scars are still pretty "there". The scars from my drains are starting to shrink and/or fade so that's nice. I have my hysterectomy/oophorectomy surgery next Monday. (1/20) I'm in no way as prepared as I was for the BMX. I hope you ladies are doing well. I'm a little late but Happy New Year!

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    Options

I had BMX on Aug 13 and am doing well. Scars are healing well and I still have minor rib pain where drains were placed, but getting better. Back to my normal routine and generally feeling good.

Brilee, I had prophylactic oopherectomy last March, and honestly, it was a walk in the park. A little tenderness for a few days but I didn’t have “pain” per say. OTC Tylenol took care of any discomfort and I think I only took that once or twice.

• Brilee76
    Options

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Yogatyme! My gynecologist sounded very unconcerned during my post-op appointment with her so I'm glad this surgery won't be as bad as the BMX. I'll also be having the uterus and cervix removed during this procedure. The only concern I have at the moment is prolapse. We're gonna just hope that doesn't happen. ;)

• Yogatyme
    Options

brilee, fingers crossed for you!

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Hi ladies!

I hope everyone is doing well

Mom had left breast mastectomy last August followed by radiation and xeloda. Now she complains from occasional back and shoulder pain, not severe though. Her right rib hurt her when she moves. Is that normal?

• Yogatyme
    Options

Kkmay, I still have rib pain, so I think that may be normal. Shoulder and back pain could be due to body adjusting.

• Brilee76
    Options

I also have some rib pain occasionally on my left side. I had it every day for the first few months until I got through physical therapy.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hi all!

I have a mammogram tomorrow on my remaining breast, my annual. I was diagnosed last January (I found my lump myself) and then my year began. I am finding this “annual” test to be very triggering

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Right there with you Laurencl. I had mine last Tuesday. Similar to you, found my own lump. I thought I would have to get an MRI as well, but haven't heard back from the Dr. Hugs to you.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

Hello fellow August people! I had a L mastectomy on August 14th, and will not be having any reconstruction. I have been aggressive with my stretches, and really push my tissues hard whenever I feel my L chest tighten up.

For the ladies experiencing rib pain, do you have a good massage therapist who can confidently work the muscles and tissues between the ribs (intercostal muscles)? I especially recommend myofascial release (MFR) techniques to help guide the internal scar tissue as it matures, so your ribs won't get bound up on each other. It's not always the most comfortable kind of massage, but it makes such an incredible difference afterwards. I had almost full range of motion for my arm just 3 months after my surgery because of fascia work. It's amazing!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Well I got flagged on my first mammogram of my remaining breast . Had a biopsy and I am ok. Normal breast changes. Yes, this is good news, but I am absolutely exhausted

• Yogatyme
    Options

Lauren, so glad for your news!! Of course you are exhausted.....all the stupid anxiety leading up to and waiting for results takes its toll.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

Congrats Lauren! I'm glad you got good news.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I hope you are doing well. I was diagnosed in January 2019with triple positive grade 3 cancer. I had my surgery August 19, 2019 after Ac and taxol (Goldilocks bilateral mastectomy where the brests are reconstructed with my one breast fat) and finished herceptin this April 20th. I am more anxious than happy because I was closely followed. But I guess after sometime herceptin does not give additional benefit.

My question Is starting what date we have count 1 year and hopefully 5 years milestone ? After the surgery or when herceptin is stoped?

I am feeling some discomfort around my brests ribs and in upper arm ( mostly in the right affected breast) . Because lymph nodes are removed from only right one, i am guessing ithat is related to the more scans. My April mammogram was postponef until mid June because of covid-19. While I am convincing myself it is cut nerves and muscle around the brest, i am worried. I would like to know if anyone feels such discomfort 1 year after surgery.

Now I am taking letrozole. Some stiffness bone joint pain. What is your experience with this med

Thanks and may we all stay safe and healthy

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Margun

I’ve always counted survival years from diagnosis date.

I’m on Letrazole now as well, and have stiff/sore joints. My MO has me taking 1000mg of fish oil, which helps. You may want to ask before trying it if you’re on a blood thinner as it can also thin the blood.

My BMX was 8/5/19, which seems forever ago. I’ve since finished chemo, and my tissue expanders are full. My implant exchange surgery was put on hold due to COVID-19, so who knows when I’ll have surgery.

I hope everyone is well

Tracy

• margun
    Options

hi Tracy,

I hope this virus goes away and you will do your y implant exchange surgery. I thought when implant is placed nothing else should be required.

It seems that in this group no one has fat or skin necrosis. That is great because it is not funny to live with a rock in your breast.

Take care

• margun
    Options

did anyone experienced fat necrosis after surgery? Anything can be done to make it go away?

• tmh0921
    Options

No fat necrosis for me this time, but I had it after my lumpectomy in 1999. Apparently it’s not that uncommon.

Tracy

• margun
    Options

Hi Tracy,

It went away by itself or some things can be done to decrease it? How big it was. Mine is even bigger than a golf ball and gives me some discomfort on and off.I am concerned that it will become bigger because my surgery I think it increased it’s size.

• tmh0921
    Options

I ended up having mine removed because we thought it was close to my tumor size and they wanted to make sure it was only necrosis.

If yours is causing discomfort, I'd ask the doctor about removing it.

Tracy

• margun
    Options

The fat necrosis removal is done by local or general anaesthesia?needle biopsy was not sufficient make sure us just necrosis to avoid surgery?

I posted about fat necrosis in several topics and only 2 or 3 people experienced it. According to my internet recherche, this is common after surgery but it is not really true. Let's hope that my surgeon »s hypothesis is correct. But still the removal of it in Covid Environment William not be easy

• tmh0921
    Options

core biopsy could confirm fat necrosis, but if it’s getting larger and causing discomfort you may want to eventually get it removed. Keep in mind my original cancer and lumpectomy was 20 years ago, we didn’t have core biopsy then