Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Hi ladies!

My mom’s surgery was delayed several times due to low immunity, fever and today because of rapid heart rate during surgery. It’s very frustrating! Doctors are puzzled and don’t know the reason behind that her high heart pulse. Did anyone experience something similar

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Notdefined

You sound good! Hope you get home today. Drains are ok, just kind of annoying. I agree that you don't need a lot of fancy contraptions. Big safety pins really do the trick. It may sound weird, but I have not let anyone in my house see them. I just don't want them too. I still have one drain (ugh!), but I got a good pathology report, so I'll put up with it ! I did talk to my BS after surgery, but I was still kind of out of it, so our talk was not that useful (ugh again) and trying to remember what she said was driving me crazy until I saw her again. Your next appointment will be better with your thoughts collected.

AC- I had my ugly cry in the shower after surgery. It took that long. It is not that my family is not receptiveit is all me, not wanting to share this mess!

Margun- I hope surgery went well. My only SE left from Taxol is my awful fingernails. They started to lift and look terrible! I keep them painted . I did not really have neuropathy and I did ice, but it did not seem to help my nails.

As for kids, my youngest is 20, and she has had trouble sleeping for the past few weeks which I am sure comes from this whole situation. She has been great, came with me for chemo when the semester ended and driven me around after surgery. But I can see it has all effected her and it kills me (still my little girl). Our families deal with it all too.

• Castvictim
    Castvictim Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am trying to get guidance. Jan 2 2002 I had double mastectomy with ALL lymph nodes protecting my hands removed. June 29, 2019 I broke the middle finger on my right hand. I had surgery on it & 2 weeks later was severed casted for 4 weeks...under heavy protested, but scared into doing it. I had it removed Aug 8, 2019. My hand was horribly swollen & completely frozen. I have not seen anything in the doctor's comments considering the advisability of this option on a breast cancer survivor.

I am starting to wonder if this has caused lymphedema. I saw my primary yesterday but she didn't know if she would hear back from the orthopedist. I also question his decision to not begin physical therapy before Sept 5, 2019 when I go back to see someone else to consider the necessity.

Not sure what to do now. Thank you for the consideration.

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
    Options

I had a Bilateral Nipple Sparing Mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction with Prepectoral Implants on Monday the 19th. My mother is at my home caring for me. Very sore but my breasts look great. I highly recommend Georgetown University Hospital

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hi Askmissa

It sounds like I am on same path as you, including the surgery, implants, etc. You had implants over the muscle, right?

What was the whole experience like so far? How are the drains? How do you feel? Any recommendations so far?

I'm trying to get my head around the whole thing - no date yet, but it will be in September.

Could have had a lumpectomy, but with ILC not totally comfortable with the chances, and since I"m a worrier by nature, think having breasts remaining would be endless/daily torture.

Hope you are doing great!

Thanks

Purpleflower

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Askmissa, we are close...I am in Annapolis

And, I had a good, ugly cry today in the middle of the surgery prep class...how embarrassing....

• Askmissa
    Options

I highly recommend my surgery team at Georgetown University Hospital- Drs. Tousimis and Song. They are the head of their respective departments. With Prepectoral i’m Really able to move my arms without much pain and i’m Thrilled I could keep my nipples. Drains are easy to care for. I’m sore where drains come out and where incisions are. Taking a lot of pills as directed

• Askmissa
    Options
  • ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

I went in for my radioactive shot for the sentinel node biopsy part of my surgery tomorrow and had a mini meltdown. It HURT! I wasn't expecting it and it got me started crying and then I lost it. Sigh. It was small, but a good start to processing. I'm going to take a thoroughly hot shower today and try to relish being clean. Then I'm off to the races in the wee hours of the morning.

Happy healing and good vibes to all the ladies in this group.

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

Good luck ACchaos, you will do great! Tears really do have healing properties--they contain infection-fighting enzymes. xo

• Seewee7
    Seewee7 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Had right mastectomy 8/22. TCHP neoadjunct prior. One node was positive before surgery, but path report during surgery showed all positive, so all were removed. Some pain, but mostly in side/arm and not breast. Glad surgery is over... but I don't remember surgeon saying anything about whether all cancer gone/margins, etc. Appt not till Sept 4. Two drains. One barely drains. Other works overtime.

Triple positive so lots more treatment to come.

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Thinking of you ACchaos! Prayers for a smooth surgery and quick recovery.

Seewee-glad everything is going okay for you. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

I am finally feeling like the dust has settled a little. My surgery was supposed to take 6-8 hours, but only ended up being 5. I am 4 days past surgery, and only taking Tylenol and an anti-inflammatory. I thankfully have not needed to resort to the oxy at home yet. I have 3 drains, but only one of them seems to get enough liquid to measure. It feels good to be home, but I'm still not sleeping all through the night. Also dear son came home with a cold, and I spent all last night coughing which was not fun.

Hope you are all doing well!

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

hi Notdefined- I am happy you are home and the recovery is progressing well. After this is the rads I guess will be the next for us. I have to take herceptin as well for a year. Wishing fast recovery to all of us

• Askmissa
    Options

my radioactive shot didn’t hurt. I was expecting it to.

• laurencl
    Options

seewee7

Hope you are feeling ok! Your BS probably won't know much until the pathology report is back (so I would not worry too much about not talking to him/her after surgery). I did speak to mine, but I was too out of it to matter.

Notdefined

Both my husband and daughter had strep throat when I got home...so much for “staying away from sick people" Ha!

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Andrea, THANK YOU SO MUCH for that video. It truly has helped calm me. They are trying for the exact same surgery for me, but because I had radiation before in one my breasts we might need to do expanders instead of direct implants. SO very helpful. Thank you.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

castvictim

I’ve not heard of lymphedema in only the hand, but it could happen. I’d think the sooner you could get started on PT the better. While being in a cast, your muscles would have atrophied due to lack of use.

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Updating our list, please let me know if I missed anyone. Welcome to our new ladies!

August 1 - LMS458412 - bilateral mastectomy w/o reconstruction

August 2 - sagelady - L mastectomy with sentinel node bx

August 5 - tmh0921 - bilateral mastectomy, latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction on my left breast, and tissue expander placement bilaterally

August 5 - Peggy814 - Bilateral Mastectomy

August 5 - trackercs - Re-Excision

August 5 - FTM - Left MX and SLNB

August 6 - okjoan - lumpectomy and axillary node biopsy

August 8 - laurencl - Right mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August 8 - dawns1962 - nipple sparring (hopefully) mastectomy of my right breast and expanders, left breast lifted

August 8 - ik0106 - lumpectomy

August 12 - eveldon - Right MX

August 13 - arizonaboundgal - bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction

August 14 - Bklynstoops - BMX, Left ALND, Tissue Expanders

August 16 - prehistoricmom - left lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy

August 19 - ucfknights' mom - bilateral mastectomy

August 19- notdefined - unilateral mastectomy with diep reconstruction

August 19 - Margun - bilateral Goldilocks

August 19 - Askmissa - BMX, Implants

August 20 - AK_btrfly - Bilateral mastectomy and free tram flap

August 22 - HopeWins - BMX, SNB, Bilateral DIEP

August 22 - Seewee7 - Right Mastectomy

August 23 - ACchaos - BMX

August 28- CherokeeLady - IORT (being rescheduled - good luck CherokeeLady)

August 29 - Belinda977 - Bilateral mastectomy and Implants

August ? - purple-flower - lumpectomy or mastectomy (reviewing options)

August ? - Nadia_D - right breast mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August ? - Kkmay - mom is having Left Mastectomy

• tmh0921
    Options

Thinking of you ACchaos, HopeWins, and Seewee

ACchaos, I Hope surge went well today

I hope all of you have a smooth recovery

Tracy

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Good luck ACchaos and welcome Seewee.

Sending healing thoughts to all of you in this group!

I got my power port put in today. Heading to chemo in 2 weeks. I'll keep checking in on you all. You have been an amazing support to not feel alone in all this!

• Askmissa
    Options

ok I suggest getting second opinion from Dr. Song at Georgetown. With Prepectoral your muscles will be in much better shape in your life and you won’t hurt as badly

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

LMS and TMH-wishing you the best in the next phase of this health issue. I did neoadjuvant chemo, and would like to share that it wasn't as nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Of course every chemo is different. I was on AC and Taxol.

I just talked to the surgeon, and he said I had 3 lymph nodes tested which all came back negative for cancer. He also said I had a pCR, so chemo did its job properly! I'm so happy!!! I can breath a little bit more each time I reach a milestone, but being triple negative I know I will need to change some things about my lifestyle and habits. I am committed to getting back into shape and doing whatever I can to reduce risk of recurrence.

• tmh0921
    Options

Notdefined

I’m so happy to hear your great pathology report. That is definitely something to celebrate!

• tmh0921
    Options

I had a follow up with the plastic surgeon today, the last one until October. He’s pleased with my healing, everything’s on track. I asked him how much I could “rub at” the leftover surgical glue(used instead of stitches on the outside) because it was itchy. He had his nurse go at the glue and scabbing with tweezers. It’s amazing, what I had assumed was a big scab in one area was actually a big area of glue. The scars underneath the scabs and glue are almost unnoticeable - he did a fabulous job so far.

We’re pausing here until chemo is done, then he’ll fill my expanders and I’ll have exchange surgery late this year or early next year.

I hope everyone is recovering well and things continue to get better each day.

Tracy

• laurencl
    Options

LMS and TMH

Wanted to wish you (and Anyone I may have missed) best of luck with the chemo phase. I did chemo first too prior to surgery and it is ok. I did Ac and Taxol. I would suggest getting on a “chemo starting in September" board and if there is not one, starting it. I am five weeks out of taxol, and I am sure my memory is starting to fade. I will say that loosing my hair was hard. Buying a wig is weird. Being tired was hard. The boards will give you useful tips and it is always good to talk to others going through it.

Lauren

• tmh0921
    Options

Thanks Lauren

We’ve found the September Chemo group. I’m glad to hear that Chemo was ok. I think the not knowing is the worst. I’m ready to get it done and over

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Tmh0921--Thank you so much for posting. I am 12 days out from a RMX and looking at my chest it looks like a horror movie and that someone went at me with a jagged knife. I am hoping for the same when the glue comes off--nice flat scarring. My incision is still seeping a bit--did you have that? I see my BS next Thursday--I am fairly certain everything is progressing normally (no infection)--I just want to heal so I can move onto chemo. Sooner it starts the sooner it is over. Winking

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Greetings from the other side. I don't know whether it's the oxy or the exparel, but I'm feeling shockingly well.

My surgery went short, just under four hours. My BS went first and then my PS put in expanders below skin, above muscle since I'll be doing DIEP flap surgery after chemo.

The great initial news is that the two lymph nodes they biopsied and the rest of my left breast had no further signs of cancer, nor did my right breast which was a prophylactic mastectomy. We're awaiting pathology confirmation, but my family was relieved at that news.

It was my first time under general anesthetic, which was probably the most uncomfortable part. Had my handy dandy cough drops for after. :) It kind of feels like I was in a car accident with the pain being in front instead of in back. The deep muscle ache.

The drains are a nuisance, but more because I can't drain them myself easily. The limited range of motion is hard to not fight. I want to push through and I have to stop myself and let someone else do it. Even getting a coffee cup down.

Hope seewee and hopewins are doing well!!

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome Eveldon, I didn’t have seeping at my incision, but fluid will find the path of least resistance and incisions are that path. If it’s not a lot, it’s probably ok.

ACchaos, glad your surgery went well and your initial pathology is good! the drains are uncomfortable but manageable, and it feels wonderful when they come out. I hope your recovery goes well!

If the two of you start chemo in September, come join us on the September chemo thread

• tmh0921
    Options

So I’m pre-menopausal, and was having regular periods every 28 days. I was due to start on 8/5, the day I had my surgery. My period is MIA. Not a single sign of it. I’m not pregnant (tubes tied, and negative pregnancy test the day of surgery). I’ve done some research and it appears that it’s not uncommon for a MX to interrupt your menstrual cycles. I’m starting chemo 9/4, then ovarian suppression after that, so who knows, maybe I’ve had my last cycle.