Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Starting August 2019

Options

Comments

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    Options

Smiling_Brenda- you can ask your doc and use pain meds to deal with the cold cap pain. Tylenol, Ibuprofen, or even stronger. I did 2 extra strength Tylenol.

My update- I had my first TC chemo on 8/6. I had nausea all week, but it was ok if I took the pills they gave me. I was reasonably energetic on days 3 and 4, but I needed major naps in the afternoon. On Day 5, I had a normally active day and no nap was needed. I had diarrhea the first two days and now constipation. Bummer on that.

Its the morning of day 6 and my appetite is still not great, but I'm not as nauseous. I have been craving bread products, salt, and sugary things. I haven't had a soda in 8 months and I seriously wanted one. At the grocery store I wanted to get cinnamon buns with icing. I've not eaten those types of things in ages.

I chilled my heads, hands, and feet, but not my mouth, and my mouth feels weird. Like I burned it on hot pizza or something. It is tender in spots, but no sores yet. I think my sense of taste has been impacted a bit, but I don't have a metallic taste yet.

That's about it, nothing major, things are going well so far!

• elc75
    elc75 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello! I've been reading through some posts on this site and it seems very helpful so I thought it would help me to join! I was diagnosed in July after finding a lump that seemed to appear overnight. Scheduled an appointment ASAP and received my first mammogram (I'm not 40 yet), ultrasound, biopsy all on the same day - my daughter's 8th birthday actually which still pains me to think about...she asked me last night if it was her fault I got sick because it happened on her birthday :-(

Chemo starts Aug 19 and I have my port placement this Wednesday which I'm starting to get some anxiety about. I'm a bit of a nervous nelly by nature so this entire ordeal will truly be a test for me.

Anyways it's nice to talk with ladies going through similar situations. My friends and family have been amazing but it's just good to know others understand exactly what I'm going through

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear elc75,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so sorry about your diagnosis and so glad that you decided to reach out to our members and join our community. We do hope that you will stay active here and benefit from the support and information that is readily shared by so many. Good luck to you as you start Chemotherapy and let us know how we can help you to navigate your way around the boards. Keep us all posted on how everything goes on the 19th for sure.

The Mods

• ChamberChick
    ChamberChick Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello! I'm 3.5 weeks post surgery and start my chemo tomorrow. Definitely getting nervous but am hoping for the best. Dr says my Taxol dose is very low so I should be able to work through treatments.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear ChamberChick,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so glad that you reached out to our members and at the same time we are sorry for your diagnosis. We hope that you will find support and information here from our many members who can share their own experiences and help you along the way. We wish you the best of luck as you start chemotherapy tomorrow. Please keep us posted on how it goes. We are here for you.

The Mods

• in2earth
    in2earth Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hey ladies!

It's been wondering reading everyone's updates. Thank you for continuing to share. It seems lots of you are only doing Taxol, is anyone else currently on AC with me ?

I'm headed into my 2 round of AC on Wednesday. My mom is arriving tonight to be with me through this round and I'm so happy to have her here. I had an amazing week. I feel so great and have been sleeping and eating well.

My hair has started to finally fall out now on day 12. I already have a close buzz cut so it won't be to hard to transistion now, but the hair loss is unsettling, but I understand it's going to happen.

I am not looking forward to choosing what to eat on the day of chemo because last time it completely put me off all the food I ate that day -_- I just don't want to ruin a food for myself.

All in all I had a successful round 1 and have so much less anxiety going into round 2. I will definitely be using melotoin and cbd to help me sleep during the steroid phase !!

Oh and I also signed up for chemo angels and my matches have written me such lovely letters, do sign up as well if you ladies haven't over at chemoangels.com !

• elc75
    Options

Hi in2earth!

I will be starting with AC as well (4 treatments) and then 12 weeks of Taxol. Reading that your first round went well and lessened your anxiety gives me some comfort. Sending positive vibes for your second round!

• Ezzie
    Ezzie Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Everyone - my 1st chemo is coming up on Weds. I am starting to get anxious, especially about the 3 days of steroids. I have never used CBD oil but I might check it out. I have some ambien like stuff and melatonin. Or maybe I will just get a bunch of projects completed in the middle of the night.

Here's my favorite twist this week - I caught a cold before I even started chemo.

My cousin called yesterday, and I want pass along her hints about chemo. She had some nausea, so here is what she said:

1. Tell your team about all your side effects, even if you think you are just supposed to tough it out. They were able to give her a couple of other meds to help.
    2. Plain water can make some people more nauseated, so add juice or soda, or something. Or drink gatorade. (she says she wished someone had told her that at the beginning rather than the end.)
    3. Tell your team about all meds and vitamins. There are some strange things that have contrasting interactions
    4. Keep a log of each treatment, and the following side effects. Then for the next treatment you will remember what to expect on what day.

I wish this chat had emojis. There are so many posts that I want to tag with a thumb up or smiley. Later friends.

• Toadism
    Toadism Member Posts: 10
    Options

@Ezzie thank you for the tips! I have never been a plain water person but am forcing myself to drink it. Last time I was on steroids my entire house got cleaned and organized. Hope all goes well and will be praying for you on Wednesday.

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

in2earth: I'm sending good vibes your way. Glad that your mom can come to be with you. Sometimes, I was alone but the few times my family could be there were great.

My first AC infusion was okay with SEs appearing on the third post infusion day. Unfortunately, my 2nd and 3rd got worse. I hope you have a different progression but prepare for the cumulative effects, just in case.

I thought I was the only one that got this weird perversion to the food that I ate during infusion. Each week, I tried something different but after three tries, I decided not to eat anything! One of the things I ate the first infusion was a nutrigrain bar. Every time I looked at the box in my cabinet, I got sick at my stomach. I ended up taking the box to work for my co-workers because I was ready to throw them away. Even the time I took my music, I was turned against my playlist.

Ezzie: You will be fine. Some folks have the hyper reaction to the steroid but others don't. I did not have any problems and definitely didn't feel like doing extra house work. :) I agree with the fluids not having to be water. I usually love water but got to the point after my 4th infusion that I could only stomach sips to get meds down. Each week, the fluid that I could get down would change. I did have luck with Gatorade, carbonated sugar free sodas, mixing the carbonated soda with crystal light. I had a problem with ginger flavoring but loved the taste of Fresca.

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    Options

I’m from the April 2019 chemo thread and am now on to radiation, but I specifically remember a two week period during AC when the only fluid I could tolerate was Fresca!! So nice to be back to normal tastebuds...

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

Isn't it telling that we measure our food and drink tolerance in 'weeks'. I guess that is what AC does to us. Things taste great for a few days or weeks and then the next thing you know, can't stand it. I used to hate Fresca but it saved me earlier this year--I would look forward to the tartness! Yes, the normal tastebuds are back and I can drink water now. I'm heading into Taxol later this week so not sure what liquids will work for me afterwards.

• Summer91
    Summer91 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello all,

I'm not much of a web board person, but cancer is making me take all kinds of firsts! Was glad to find this group. I was diagnosed 3/22/19, then an MRI found something in my other breast that eventually turned out to be benign, but held up surgery until June 18. My Oncotype was 20, and added to my age of 46 and grade 3, my oncologist basically said this is a grey area - you decide about chemo. Thanks, Doc! We did the research and second opinions and feel good about proceeding with TCx4, mostly due to my age and grade.

I had my first infusion on 8/8, which really wasn't bad except for the 6-7 times they had to poke and dig to get the IV started. Doc had decided against a port for me due to my "good" veins. Hmmm. Days 1 and 2 the steroids propped me up and i felt weird and flushed - not good but not too bad either. Days 3-5 were the worst for fatigue, gastric distress (constipation AND diarrhea), and some intense bone aches from the Fulphila injection I got 24 hours after the infusion. I consider myself fortunate, though - no nausea so far, and while my mouth feels tender no sores yet. Still working on gaining strength back - basically it has felt like several days of the fatigue and aches of the flu without the fever. I'm just anxious to feel strong enough to run my 3 kids around (10, 13, 16), and school starts next week!

Chopped my hair from long to a pixie cut weekend before, and I opted to not use cold caps as I think I wouldn't be able to tolerate the cold! So trying to figure out head cover options.

Hang in there ladies, we will all get through this, even if it isn't fun!

• GoMama
    GoMama Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi elc75. I'm also one of those nervous Nellies who needs to know exactly what is coming my way, so I'll share my port experience with you, in detail. The only hospital experiences I've ever had were two childbirths (vag), 2 needle biopsies (on the same day), 1 mastectomy, and recently the various tests (MRI, CAT) that were also new to me. And yesterday the port.

Port installation was scheduled for 9:30. I arrived at 9 as requested to check in. Sat in my "room" (curtained cubby) in a hospital gown from 9:30-11:55, waiting, as my procedure was delayed, and delayed, and delayed. Doctors and nurses asked the usual questions about meds I took that morning, allergies, etc. I have terrible veins, so I requested the PICC nurse insert my IV. She called my veins "tiny," btw, and also drew the blood for the chemo I'll be getting tomorrow.

When I finally went in, they positioned me on a table with X ray and ultrasound machines above/beside. MO wanted the port in the left bc my mastectomy is the right side. The tech checked my left neck with ultrasound. Various people swabbed me with disinfectants and laid blue cloths over my body and arms. My super great nurse, Karen, made sure I was warm with extra blankets (they keep the room soooo cold to discourage germs etc., she said) and hooked my IV up, so I was getting twilight drugs. The room spun ever so gently. A tech placed a blue cloth with an adhesive backing on me, sticking it to my upper neck and jaw, so my face was covered.

I believe I had four needles, each "a big pick and some burning," I don't handle needles well AT ALL and they hurt, no lying, but after that it was okay. I felt a little pressure probably bc of the left side insertion--I saw the X ray, the catheter does a big loop-de-loop in my chest and, according to my procedure report, ends up in the atrium (I guess that explains the warning of possible cardiac problems someone mentioned). I was bothered by the doctor sewing the sutures, not bc I felt them but bc I could tell by the way his hand brushed my jaw that he was sewing at the base of my neck. They uncovered me, my super nurse wheeled me out, and she picked up some graham crackers and OJ on our way to my cubicle. This was almost an hour after I went into the operating room, about 1 o'clock. RN Karen then got me some ginger ale, coffee, a turkey sandwich, peach cup, Lorna Doones--a feast!! I inhaled it, I was so relieved and just hungry after 13 hours fasting. Karen checked on me a few times and we left after about 50 minutes recovery time.

I was a little bit wobbly, but it didn't prevent us from driving straight to the prosthesis appointment I was afraid I would miss and ordering a new right boob and bras. Then I took some Tylenol and slept on the sofa for about two hours. It actually hurt more this morning, but that may be because I'm a left side sleeper, and when I tried sleeping on my back last night I almost threw up. I attribute that to the drugs they pumped into my body, but who knows.

I'm taking the Tylenol on schedule today and hoping it doesn't hurt tomorrow when they use the power port for my first chemo.

I wish the doctor had talked to me more while he was working, since I couldn't see ANYTHING, but all he did was talk about the pick/burning. On the 3rd or 4th pick, I said, "you keep saying that, when do I stop feeling it?" I got nothing. The guy has no sense of humor.

• gigibozo
    gigibozo Member Posts: 13
    Options

It's been a week since my first TC infusion. Days 1 and 2 were fine, then came the horrible extreme nausea on days 3-5. Could barely get out of bed days 3 and 4. Ending up going in for fluids and Zofran day 3 and fluids, Reglan and some acupuncture day 4. Zofran wasn't working well for me and was giving me a major headache! MO switched me to Reglan at home with Ativan and pepcid. Reglan was working a little better until I developed back spasms all night Sunday. By then, nausea was easing some, so stopped the Reglan and stuck with the dosing of Ativan and Pepcid. Still getting headaches on and off, but their different than the Zofran induced ones.

We had a long meeting with my MO today. Bloodwork as expected, though slightly anemic. We are going to work with the cancer center pharmacist to come up with a better plan for next time. Different drugs for sure. Possibly starting with fluids and then fluids the next day. Possibly acupuncture pre-infusion. Anyone have similar difficulties controlling the nausea? I drank my water religiously, so I know that's not it. What drugs are working for you?

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Gigibozo:

FASTING. This helped me. Look up the many posts here about The Fasting Mimicking Diet, or look up Dr Valter Longo. You do a brief fast or near-fast for 3 or 5 days with chemo as your middle day. You go into "day 3" with almost zero in your tummy. Nothing to digest, puke, or cause elimination problems. And the fast helps your healthy cells protect themselves and drives the cancer cells into a more-easily-killable state. Its in a clinical trial right now in people after having produced enhanced cancer killing in mice. But either way won't hurt you and is a big help nausea.

• elc75
    Options

@GoMama thank you for sharing the details of getting your port. I think one of the reasons of my anxiety is that this officially makes it “real” for me if that makes sense.

And I can’t stand it when doctors are so impersonal!

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

Thank you I will try that. 1st round of chemo went ok. Not too many side effects, hyper from steroids, lost my taste. Yesterday was a "normal day", 2nd round this Friday. I have always been active so try to continue that. Long walks with my "beast", aka golden retriever to relieve the stress and take in life. My husband has been so great. I'm lucky. I was feeling bad, and he actually made me get up and start doing things, it was great, I needed that push and that it was ok to do things not just lay around and feel bad for myself. I have been mediating which has helped. (never a mediator before", and listening to relaxing music like I was at spa.

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    Options

Gigibozo, I had a fair amount of nausea from day 2 through day 5. I also had diarrhea the first two days, followed by constipation. My nausea was mostly handled by the med they gave me and Ativan at night. It was burping a lot and felt a little sick, but not enough to keep me from doing things.

Hi Summer91, I'm 42, I had an intermediate oncotype score too (16), my tumor was grade 2 (but I had one in each breast plus two extras in my left), and ITC, and pleomorphic features. All of that added up to chemo being a good idea for me. I had a similar vein problem since they won't use the ones at my elbows, lots of poking despite my other huge veins sitting there!

I'm now a week and a day out from my first TC treatment and I can say that today I finally feel totally normal except for my mouth. My energy is up and my stomach is not fussing. Two more weeks until the next one and I'll be half way done!!!

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Having port paranoia. Is it supposed to be such a bump? Will probably have nurse look at it when I go today for genetic testing. It is already in , so not much of a choice but it is third morning and freaking me out a little.

Ok after the chemo class I am more freaked out than before. I start Aug 22 and have such anxiety about side effects and potential ER trip if I get sick. How often do chemo patients actually have to run to the ER?

Will ask my Dr about melatonin, seems like the most innocuous way to try to sleep better.

Pharmacist seems to think medical marijuana may interfere with taxotere. Anyone hear this?

Don't necessarily need answers, just needed to vent. Although I am curious about the cannabis thing. Thanks!

Triple positive BC. PTCH treatment , than surgery, and herceptin to complete the year.

• GoMama
    Options

Flowerkid:

Mine is a bit of a bump, not sure if anyone can really notice it without looking. It's been in since Monday. Mine's a Power Port, maybe different brands/models show more. I know PPs come in larger sizes than mine.

• GoMama
    Options

Flowerkid, btw I saw this group that might be helpful.

Strategies for Working Teachers During Chemo

• andshewas
    andshewas Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hey ladies, Glad we're all getting through this together. I'm a week out from my first TC and Neulasta and the side effects have been manageable so far. Minor nausea and weird tastebud stuff have been about it. I was even brave enough to have a beer the other day!

One thing I'm doing that I think is helping me immensely is drinking Metamucil (2 tsp) every day. I swear to god I've been pooping better since being on chemo than I was in real life!

Flowerkid: I have a Powerport and it's like a little doorbell 2 inches below my collarbone. Can definitely see it there.

I have check-in blood tests tomorrow, will keep you posted. Hugs everybody.

• in2earth
    Options

Hello ladies,

Just checking in over here. It's the day after my 2nd AC round ! I'm feeling wonderful still. I can't believe how different this day after is from my first round, I'm so thankful.

Last night I felt very tired and had a terrible night sweat, but woke up feeling good and had a nice breakfast.

We stayed at a hotel for free through the American Cancer society, def look into the program if you stay far from treatment like I do ! I signed up through my hospital social worker.

The day of chemo I ate some overnight oats, and a turkey hummus wrap before chemo with lots of water and tea. I think a lighter meal is best, I tried to do fasting, but didn't last.

The night before chemo & tonight I will be doing a coffee enema and I think they help a lot !

Hope everyone is doing well !!

• ChamberChick
    ChamberChick Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello,

I had my first round of Taxol and Herceptin on Tuesday. I arrived at 8:40 for weigh in, temp check and meeting with MO. I got really emotional when they walked me to the infusion room. One of the nurses introduced herself to me and gave me a big hug. I started tearing up - all these old guys in there were just staring so I sucked it up, sat in my recliner and got going. The whole process that day took about 4 hours with 1.5 hours going to the loading dose of Herceptin and an hour for the Taxol. I woke up on Wednesday with a rosy glow from the steroids but no other side effects and none today that I’ve noticed. So far, so good. I’ll go in every Tuesday for 11 more weeks.

So a question- is day 1 the day of chemo or is day 1 the day after chemo?

• Ezzie
    Ezzie Member Posts: 13
    Options

Yesterday was my first TC chemo. I actually had a lovely day with my bestie there. Felt pretty good yesterday and this morning. Probably the lingering steroids. Been since noon I've had a moderate headache, and things taste weird. Jello tasted kind of salty, and all the drinks taste just yucky. But no nausea yet knock on wood.

My power port is also about the size of of a doorbell, probably a decent description. it's been a week and the swelling's gone down so it doesn't seem as big as it did it first.

Got a super short haircut this morning. it's kind of rad for someone in her mid-50s

• Summer91
    Summer91 Member Posts: 5
    Options

@chamberchick I have the same question about Day one. Been assuming it is the day you get chemo but someone correct me if I am wrong!

I was still feeing rough in the mornings days 5-7 but was so happy to have some energy and strength back in the afternoons! Day 8 and 9 I’ve hit a wall of fatigue, I guess because I am hitting my nadir? And a lovely taxane rash for extra fun on my chest and thumbs (of all places).

@flowerkid curious what you find out about taxotere and medical marijuana and if there are negatives there. I’ve been wondering about all of that and how it helps/hinders.

• HouseOfKards
    HouseOfKards Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hey sisters,

My first chemo is Aug. 29. Four infusions of AC and then four of Taxol, every other week for 16 weeks. Like many of you, I'm a planner. I want to know the who, what, when, where, why and how. I'm most nervous about being paralyzed by SEs. I'm anticipating that the first infusion won't be too bad, but I'm curious as to how "cumulative" cumulative is. Anyone have any feedback on that? Was the second infusion twice as bad as the first? How did you feel by the third and fourth?

I am still recovering from a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction (June 26). It's been nice to have time to recuperate and build my strength back up, mentally and physically, to face chemo. When I was first diagnosed, I didn't think I would need chemo but that pesky cancer was in 4 lymph nodes, not just the 1 we could see on the PET scan. So, when my dr. broke that news, I was devastated. I watched my husband go through chemo twice 20 years ago for Hodgkin's Disease. I do think they've made advances in making patients more comfortable since he went through it. For example, there was no pre-chemo anti-nausea drips - they just gave him pills to take whenever nausea came on. He was really impressed by the chemo orientation I went through and how well they prepare patients for what's to come. I'm still anxious though. That's been a downside of having these weeks of recovery. I just keep running through the "what ifs."

I'll be done with chemo in early December and even though radiation will follow it, I'm really looking forward to a new year!

TIA for any tips, tricks, words of support, etc. We'll all get through this together.

• in2earth
    Options

@chanberchick & @summer91 I call my day of chemo day 1 because my steroid medicie is numbered for days 2,3, and 4 afterwards.

@houseofkards, my 2nd round of AC chemo has been a breeze compared to the first. It's honestly like a terrible hangover the first time, but I took steps to help detox inbetween with derox baths, coffee enemas, lots of fluids, and healthy foods. The worst so far was the night of chemo I had terrible night sweats.

My first round I think was so much worse too because I expected it to be so bad. Mind of matter honestly helps so much, even though I know it's SO hard. I mean I was stressed the F out. I got acupuncture the day before and it was really nice.

• Wsimm
    Wsimm Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello's, in2earth and all of the other ladies posting! I've been reading here for the past few week and so appreciate all the information and personal updates from all of you! It's made absorbing this cancer process much easier. I had my first AC infusion on Thursday 8/15 and as of today feel generally pretty good! 👍🏻 I will say that during the afternoon following the infusion I felt really amped up, hyperactive and intense. Didn't enjoy that at all but, haven't felt it since. I haven't experienced any nausea as of yet, but when I went in for my Neulasta shot on Friday I mentioned to the nurse that I was having a bit of indigestion with just a little bit of acid. She explained that it could be a sign of nausea coming on and to start taking pill #1 which is Compazine for me. If that ends up not working I move to pill #2 which is Zofran and then Ativan would be #3 option, but I would take that in combination with either #1 or #2 pills. Fingers crossed here and still no nausea. I iced my mouth throughout infusion and am only experiencing a really dry mouth. I'v been using preventative mouth rinses particularly for mouth sores to try an combat any issues. I'm really focused on staying positive throughout this journey! I do notice I get a bit “weepy" from time to time, but reallyonly when I'm discussing the cancer with my oncology team or other medical staff. I think during those times the information I'm receiving sometimes seems so overwhelming! I have no trouble or sadness talking about the cancer with family and friends and in fact we even joke and laugh around it and about it occasionally! Anyone feel similar?