Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Starting August 2019

Options

Comments

• in2earth
    in2earth Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hey ! @wsimm sounds like you're doing great for your first round. I'm religiously taking the compozine every 6 hours and havent had any zofran yet and it's been great for nausea. I have felt the indigestion & drank a ginger lemon kombucha to help with it.

I cry a ton, and I haven't cried much at all since recieving chemo, but I do cry whenever I speak to doctors too about stuff. It feels like more of a nervous release, but they are so understanding!

My mouth has been so dry too! My nose as well, it seems to go away after a few days though luckily

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

I will definitely post what I find out about medical marijuana and taxotere.

Question

1-- icing your mouth: the entire time!? I will be taking 4 drugs, so my entire time will be about 4-5 hrs!

2- the icing of hands and feet is to combat nail issues or neuropathy or both? And again do you have to do it the entire time?

Thanks!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Marijuana.... I did Taxotere and also used Medical Marijuana. My MO was totally comfortable with it. MM really helped me feel not so "ill" or "crispy" on the down days.

Icing... I split my chemo into two infusions, am and pm. I'd get Taxotere in am, and Carbo in pm, and they'd tape off my access line and I'd leave between the two. I iced for taxotere and not for carboplatin. I made a frozen smoothie and or homemade froz-fruit popsicles and brought that w me in my ice chest to infusion and ate those in lieu of ice chips.

I had socks w frozen gel inserts and freezable migraine caps and for my hands did icewater in a bowl. My taxotere alone was about ~40 mins if I am remembering correctly.

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    Options

Flowerkid- I ice hands and feet 15 mins before, the entire time, and 15 mins after with the hopes of preventing neuropathy, and secondary concern about nails.

• elc75
    elc75 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well today! I got my port placed last Wednesday and the process was much better than I anticipated. They gave me a wonderful drug prior to calm my nerves (versed I think) and it was amazing. I had not been this calm or relaxed since my diagnosis! I don't remember anything during the procedure and was pretty sore for a couple of days afternoon but nothing unbearable.

Today I had my first AC infusion and that went well too. It was so so nice to have that port! I feel like now it's just a waiting game for the SE's...

• OnTarget
    Options

elc75- that's great! Hopefully your SE's will be minimal!!

• Autumngal24
    Autumngal24 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hello!

I had my first TCH infusion on August 15th. After the first couple of days, I was thinking "oh wow, this is a breeze". Fast forward to day 5, and that is definitely not the case. I have had some pretty major bone pain from the Neulasta injection, making moving, sitting, and sleeping pretty difficult. My taste buds are a little off, but I can still keep down water and food easily, and I haven't had nausea of any kind. Thank you Zofran & Compazine! Overall I just feel exhausted. I have 2 small boys and keeping up with them and battling this fatigue has been a challenge. I have a wonderful husband who has been taking the brunt of the children duties thankfully.

I didn't ice at all during infusion. I slept almost the whole time during mine. I might try the icing next round. I really don't want to lose my nails or have neuropathy with the Taxotere. Does anyone know how long you continue to take the anti-nausea meds? My bottles say as needed, but I'm scared to stop and then feel sick, and have a hard time getting back to the point of feeling ok.

• santabarbarian
    Options

I dropped the nausea pills after the first three chemos. I had taken them every 8 hours for 3 days on the first three chemos, and I never had nausea. So I just skipped them the last three. Nausea was not "my" SE -- lucky there.

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

Autumngal24, I only took the anti-nausea meds the night of chemo. Sometimes it was to just help me sleep. I didn't really have nausea the entire time. Also, Zofran and Compazine can cause other side effects, like headaches. I didn't need any other problems outside of the chemo itself.

Not sure if you are usung Claritin but it really helped me with the bone pain from neulasta. I started a day or two before and continued for about five days after the shot.

Hopefully you won't have any major problems.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Just saying hi Summer 91, as I have kids 10,13 and 15. And I am 48. That is yet another piece to me - my kids getting through this without being too scathed.

I start chemo Aug 22. Petrified. But listening to everyone's advice and experiences does indeed help.

Hang in there all of us!

• GoMama
    GoMama Member Posts: 47
    Options

autumngal24 I had a similar response. First chemo was Wed. 8/14. Thursday was okay but sleepless from the steroids. Friday a little nausea but it passed. Started out okay Saturday, tired but not horrible, until about noon. Fatigue hit me hard, as did the leg and foot pains. It was worse on Sunday, I managed the bare minimum of life. I finally slept better last night and hurt less today. Did a full day of work at the computer. Today's big issues have been diarrhea, acid indigestion, and a sore on my tongue.

I am taking antinausea meds every 8 hours and plan to continue for the 7 to 10 days it might help each cycle. The indigestion is bad enough, especially in the middle of the night.

• GoMama
    GoMama Member Posts: 47
    Options

off topic but bear with me--the forums I used most in the past were on Ravelry. This seems so impersonal in comparison, because I find myself wanting to like and love all these comments, tag them as interesting and informative, because I do love them. You all bring so much to my life when you, we, share! Thank you!

• in2earth
    Options

Yes ! @gomama such a good point. I have been feeling the same way about you ladies. I update my mom with everyone's progress in "the group" and it helps us not feel so alone & I'm happy to share to help with nerves because believe me I've had them. I always want to comment on everyone's posts, so thank you !

Also here's a friendly remind to move your bodies today ! Make sure you get in a walk during a cool time of day with a friend, it will definitely cheer you up!

I'm currently Day 6 after my 2nd AC round. I've been feeling so great still ! I do think compazine has given me a headache as someone mentioned it could be a side, because I had one the last two days. I continued to take compazine over the 5 days just to prevent anything, but havent had much nausea. Just some weird burping/heartburn at times when I bend down alot (I was moving the other day)

Just wanted to mention the post steroid muscle soreness is annoying, but goes away after a day or so ! I'm looking to cut back on all meds by next round after seeing what works best for me. I still havent touched the Zofran.

I hope everyone is doing great !

• Sportymom
    Sportymom Member Posts: 40
    Options

I am starting my first round of FEC tomorrow so all of the advice on this forum has really helped. All of you are so brave and I plan on following in your footsteps

• OnTarget
    Options

Good luck Sportymom on your first round! You'll do great!

• OnTarget
    Options

I'm feeling pretty awesome two weeks out from my first TC infusion! I am cold capping and my hairs on my head are holding fast for now! Hopefully I can say the same thing next week. I feel a little hopeful since some other hairs on my body have jumped ship and I'm hoping that means that the chemo didn't get my head hairs. On the positive side, bikini waxing may not be needed in my near future! Haha!

• Arwa89
    Arwa89 Member Posts: 11
    Options

hi everyone I am arwa 30 years old i got my port last Friday yesterday was my first AC session I feel so tired and I slept the whole night and today i just can’t stay awake other than fatigue i don’t have any other sy

• Sportymom
    Options

While I thought I had it all under control, it is the night before and I am terrified. Terrified I won’t tolerate the meds. Terrified that something will happen. Scared that this won’t work.

I really thought I was ready but now I simply frightened.

I hope it goes well for everyone.

We are warriors. One foot in front of the other eh

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    Options

Just stopping by from the May chemo thread to say hello, Sportymom and everyone else. Sending calming, positive vibes. You have so many people on BCO that are looking out for you.

• in2earth
    Options

Hey @sportymom,

Here's a big hug ! It is absolutely terrifying, you're feelings are completely normal. Once the day begins it will be over sooner than you thought. Overthinking can be our downfall at times even though we are prepared. Just trust you and your doctors decision and that you are ready to handle this ! The anxiety before is really the worst sideaffect I've had so far. Hoping for the best for you tomorrow

• santabarbarian
    Options

Sportymom -- someone here once said a wise thing: You do not have to be brave. You just have to show up.

Chemo was MUCH LESS awful than the picture my fears had painted! There are lots of very effective meds and complimentary practices to address any SEs that do show up. I was mostly "down" on days 4/5. And between chemos there were plenty of pretty normal feeling days too. And "down" means I was very sleepy and felt pretty weird, but not exactly "bad." Not sick, per se. No distress except being both food averse, exhausted, and hangry -- which happened a few times. Maybe kind of queasy here and there. and just not myself.

If you can give into the sleepy feeling and rest, it helps. I did -- and it was honestly not that bad till the last 2 chemos for me (when anemia was bad and I was very winded.) Otherwise I was ok. I am self employed -- which helped because I could take days off when I needed. Not horrible, just tiring on a level you have not been tired before (by the end) unless maybe you've run marathons? Post chemo, cumulatively I felt pretty spaced out, it was hard to fetch words and converse, it was hard to pay attention to stuff. That is by no means fun but it is not retching 9 times a day which is what I feared.

So many sisters on these boards have been scared, and shown up, and healed. You will too!

• Sportymom
    Options

Thanks both in2earth and Santabarbarian.

I will take a breath, hold my head high, put one foot in front of the other, and show up.

It’s nice you girls have my back and great advice and words of comfort. Thanks very much

Off to sleep now.

• Sportymom
    Options

Thanks for the warm words of encouragement OnTarget!

Arwa89 I hope you feel less fatigued soon

• summersday
    summersday Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi Sportymom - I just thought I'd pop in here and say that I've just finished the FEC part of my treatment so if you have any questions do let me know! There aren't many women who are having or have had FEC on these boards but I wanted you to know that I'm one of them and I have't found it too bad at all.

Big hugs to you - you'll be just fine.

xx

• Sportymom
    Options

Hi All,

Well the first administration if my FEC was successful. The steroids they gave me hopped me up and I was really hungry after my session so went for a nice lunch. Only a tiny headache after my cyclophosphamide IV which finished at noon and continued to 3:50 pm when I took the Tylenol.

I found the session very relaxing and very educational. The nurses in the unit are wonderful, patient, funny, and relaxed. Nice atmosphere to have an infusion.

I hope to remain nausea-free and somewhat productive in the next little while.

Thanks foreverybody’s support and encouragement.

It means a lot.

Hugs.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Good to hear Sportymom!

• Sportymom
    Options

Thanks summersday for the encouragement

• Ezzie
    Ezzie Member Posts: 13
    Options

I am a on day 8 after my first TC treatment. I did not have really any nausea but I was not at all prepared for how exhausted I felt on day 3 and 4 after. Also surprised by just the gassy stomach and general yuckyness. Today, a week out, is the first time I woke up feeling relatively OK.

A couple of days ago I had a day of really bad depression. I kept crying a lot and felt pretty hopeless. I called friends and got myself more grounded. I made a note in my logbook for next round and am ready to talk to the doctor if it becomes a regular thing.

@Gomama - I also have had terrible acid stomach. I started taking 1 pepcid in the morning and 1 Zantac in the afternoon. That seems to help.

The last 3 days I have had mouth sores. Does anyone know how long those tend to last? Four days or four weeks?

• BeastMode19
    BeastMode19 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi everyone!! I just realized that it’s been awhile since I’ve checked in and given an update. I have my second TC infusion this Friday! So far everything has been pretty good for the most part post 1st infusion. I didn’t end up getting any of the SE’s (no nausea, no neuropathy, no mouth sores) I was afraid of this first time around. However, day 18 hit and my hair started shedding like crazy! It’s so annoying that I can’t sit and eat without hair falling to on to the counter, the floor, my shirt, etc. I do notice some thinning areas but for the part it’s shedding evenly, no clumps. I will be cold capping again on Friday so hopefully with my hair being thinner it works better. I have pretty thick hair so nobody can tell but me.

Hope everyone’s treatments are going well!

@sportymom - that’s great to hear! Seems like things are going pretty good for you as well.

@ontarget - which cold cap are you using?

• santabarbarian
    Options

For those having rotten GI SEs: read about Fasting, or the Fasting Mimicking Diet. You do a brief fast or near-fast for a few days including chemo day in the middle. It's a way to lower GI issues and-- in mice-- it even boosts the efficacy of the chemo, too. They are conducting human trials now. I did FMD during chemo, and thought it was easy.