Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not breastfeeding but diagnosed mastitis

Options
13»

Comments

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited October 2019
    Options

Though he can explain what the various terms mean, the BIRADS speaks for itself.... in reality I do not think there can be more definitive "results" until the biopsy happens.

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited October 2019
    Options
  • trace621
    trace621 Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2019
    Options

thank you edj3 and santabarbar! i posted in his thread.

i appreciate you both and everyone commenting on this thread. it is easier to show or express worry here versus with family (i dont want to worry them even more if they know i am worried)

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

I just had my biopsy. It took awhile because the tissue was so think, they couldn’t find the lump on the ultrasound. It was extremely painful though. They gave me 10 shots of Novocain and took 4 samples.

She said pain usually is a sign of inflammation. Is that a good sign that it’s just inflammation

• jack-bear
    jack-bear Member Posts: 169
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Trace, I am so sorry that your biopsy hurt. I am glad it is done!🌺 Now for the wait for the results. Keep checking in here with your questions & comments. It will will help.
    ❤️ NancyB 🎶
  • trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

thanks all for giving suggested to post in djmammo thread. this was his response -

"Although non-mass enhancement can go either way, the presence of clustered ring enhancement described as bing associated with it, adds an additional layer of suspicion on that finding. They will look to see if it can be located by US and if not they will do it in the MRI. If the biopsy comes back abnormal they may want to take out all the similar areas of non-mass enhancement at surgery."

i pray i do not need an MRI biopsy. the ultrasound was so incredibly painful :(

thought everyone would laugh but the original doctor/office i went to when this all started, hasnt even called to check on me!

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2019
    Options

I would call THEM back when you know what you are dealing with!

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

I got the biopsy results back! No idea what this means but she said its benign! I am meeting with a breast surgeon tomorrow to go over it and see if she just want to remove it in surgery or do the "wait and see"

---

The patient underwent an ultrasound-guided right breast biopsy on 10/16/2019 yielding fragments of breast parenchyma with duct ectasia and ductocentric lymphohistiocytic inflammatory infiltrate. A three-month follow-up right breast ultrasound and six-month follow-up breast MRI was recommended. See separate report from that date.

The patient's mammogram is stable since prior studies with no evidence of malignancy.

BREAST COMPOSITION:

Breast Composition Code: C - The breasts are heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses.

RECOMMENDATION:

Three-month follow-up right breast ultrasound.

RESULT/FOLLOW-UP CODING:

ACR BI-RADS Category 2: Benign

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

i am concerned a bit because the person who took the biopsy had a hard time finding the lump...is there a possibility that she got tissue from around the lump and actually didnt get the correct tissue or am i just paranoid?

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

just wanted to update - saw the breast surgeon today and this is what happened -

she gave me a breast exam, saw the inverted nipple and was perplexed because the biopsy/mri said no inverted nipple
    she did not mention that i had any issue with my duct but said "it could" be inflammation. My mom was with me and we all saw the MRI with the 3d imaging. My left breast was normal but on my right, there was a massive white "mass" (I thought it looked like a shredded cotton ball) and just off centered was a solid white tiny piece in the middle of it. She told me when the biopsy was taken, since the area was so big, they took 4 samples of tissue. So I asked - well since they couldnt find the lump on the ultrasound, how do we know she took the right biopsy? She then look perplexed and offered me two options, either wait and see for 6 months or we do a surgical biposy. I opted for the biopsy of course. Scheduled in two weeks. She is gonna check under the nipple and see what was wrong there and take a more core sample.

I did ask her about the rapid washin/washout twice and she would not answer me. She did say that I did good research on this but wouldnt verify anything except - "this looks like inflammation, but not sure what it is, there isnt a characteristic of cancer but lets check anyway".

Has there ever been cases where it was benign tissue around the lump and when you do a surgical biopsy, they actually find the real issue?

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2019
    Options

trace I am sooooo glad this doctor is proactive and you are getting a better look. I have no idea what this could be but good to really investigate! Maybe djmammo has an idea??

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

i have no idea either but im just venting because they need to do it again. i have read on here that some that have had biopsies were samples from benign tissue but once they had the excision biopsy and got to the core sample, it was different.

I just dont understand how my MRI had rapid washin/washout which is type 3 kinetics and that is obviously a concern and it now goes straight down to inflammation?

• djmammo
    djmammo Member Posts: 1,003
    edited October 2019
    Options

trace621

Keep in mind that the curves are only one piece of a large puzzle. You cannot make a diagnosis on that alone.

Don't feel bad for not completely understanding these reports. It takes years to be qualified to read Breast MRI and not all radiologists can read them properly. After 20+ years of practice I had to take a course to be certified to read BrMRI that included 3 days of lectures and 100 supervised cases. Once I got back to my practice I was required to read 300 more before I could dictate them on my own without an over-read and I was the head of the department. Piecing together information found on the web is not enough.

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

djmammo - i understand. thank you for breaking it down. i was just curious thats all. will await the next biopsy and will update then.

• djmammo
    djmammo Member Posts: 1,003
    edited October 2019
    Options

To All

Caution: Contains some personal opinions and historical perspectives.

It seems a shame that these MRI reports are causing more anxiety than almost anything else I have encountered here. More specifically the attempt to reverse engineer the odds of how likely one is to have cancer based on imaging terminology Googled out of context. Once again I discourage that practice in patients with any degree of Health Anxiety.

The report is not designed for the patient, it is intended to inform your doctor of what we see and what we recommend so they can inform you and this is stated at the end of the report, not the body of the report. About 87% of the report is technical jargon that a) explains to other radiologists how the scan was performed and b) explains to the next radiologist all the findings that support their case for how they arrived at the conclusion indicated in the IMPRESSION and there are really only three possible conclusions to be taken from a BrMRI: 1) we think its cancer, 2) we dont think its cancer, 3) we're not sure yet. This remainder of the report is not really relevant to anyone outside of the radiology department. It is understood that the ordering physician will explain the results of the report to the patient as it is with all other imaging exams.

The most sought after information, i.e. the likelihood of it being cancer, is indicated by the BI-RADS number, and this is why it was implemented. In the early 80's doctors complained that mammogram reports were confusing as at the time there was no standard terminology for the mammographic findings. Radiologists used their own descriptions or those of their professors and the varied widely from one report to another (and remember this was back when patients did not have electronic access to their final reports).

As a means to clarify the "bottom line" of the report, it became evident that something more easily understood should be used to indicate the meaning of the report by the least ambiguous method possible. It was decided that numbers should be used for this purpose as they were universally understood and in using "B1 through B5" to mean "good things" ---------> "bad things" the chance of there being a misunderstanding by the ordering physician would be much lower. Over the years since the language required to be used in reports has been standardized, and refined each year for more and more specificity. Click here for BI-RADS PDF: https://www.acr.org/-/media/ACR/Files/RADS/BI-RADS/Mammography-Reporting.pdf

Remember that many radiologists who do not read BrMRI don't know what the technical half of these reports mean and unless your doc deals with breast cancer on a daily basis as a major part of their practice, chances are they don't either.

• trace621
    edited October 2019
    Options

I didnt mean to cause an alarm. I think the problem that I am anxious about is missing a diagnosis or the correct results. The original general surgeon I went to misdiagnosed me and I had to redo all the exams which cost me a lot of money. Another surgeon I had in the past (for my endometriosis) told me I was crazy (and told my parents I was crazy) because she couldn't find anything. I waited a year in pain, found an excision surgeon and he found "atypical" endo (which is hard to see by most surgeons) all over my bowels, my pelvis was stuck to my colon and I had a hole in my stomach.

So I am just afraid and nervous that they are missing something or telling me to wait (like i have been told before and misdiagnosed) and in the end, the end result was not favorable. I guess that is why I keep asking questions so I am prepared when I do see the doctor, I know what to ask. When I saw the surgeon, she was amazed I knew what certain things meant and didnt question my choice for surgical biopsy.

thank you djmammo for adding in that last piece for others following along in this post (or that read it in the future) to not worry or be anxious.

• trace621
    edited November 2019
    Options

For anyone following along....here are my final results! It was benign! thank you everyone for the support and love!

FINAL ANATOMIC DIAGNOSIS

A. Breast, Right, Seed-Localized Excision:

- Marked fibrocystic changes and duct ectasia with intraluminal histiocytes, periglandular inflammation, and reactive epithelium.

- Multifocal stromal lymphohistiocytic inflammation and fibrosis consistent with prior duct/cyst rupture.

- Sclerosing and blunt duct adenosis.

- Healing biopsy site.

- There is no evidence of malignancy.

Note: The specimen was entirely submitted for microscopic examination and the resection margins were inked and microscopically evaluated.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Good news, Trace! Thanks for sharing.
  • santabarbarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

SO HAPPY for you. Thank you or letting us know!

• MamaAvery
    MamaAvery Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2019
    Options

so happy for you! Thanks for the update!