Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

December 2019 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

Sorry for the deletes, I am figuring this whole thing out.

Flnana2: best wishes for your surgery this Tuesday. You seem very prepared. That should make things easier afterwards and less to worry about so you can focus on healing.

Rosie24: I’m glad your surgery was successful and you had good news! Continue to heal.

PinkBean: it’s sounds like you came through a very long day of waiting and surgery! Speedy recovery to you.

Texasmama: sending prayers and positivity for your surgery on Tuesday. You’ve got this,

Rhodygirl55: thank you for the encouragement and speedy recovery to you.

I wish all of you peace and health. This certainly is a journey.

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    Options

TeriJ- I’m sorry to hear that you are feeling overwhelmed. This really is a lot to deal with. Last Friday morning my husband said, “This is the last Friday that you will have cancer .” I loved the way that sounded! Now everyday he tells me, “This is the last ____day that you will have cancer.” It’s been so much nicer for me to focus on that than on the details of my surgery.

Fiana2- Thinking of you and wishing you all the best tomorrow.

• TeriJ
    Options

Question for those of you who have had the surgery already.... did you use the numbing cream to help with the dye insertion for the node localization? Did it help? I am frightened of the 5 injections I have to get two hours prior to surgery.

• TeriJ
    Options

TexasMama: thank you for your suggestion. One week from today I’ll be home and finished with this surgery and hopefully all of the cancer will be out of there. Tomorrow is my last Tuesday with cancer. I like how that sounds. :)

• kitzelover1
    kitzelover1 Member Posts: 2
    Options

LUMPTECTOMY & RADIATION VS. MASTECTOMY

Why does everyone seem to push lumpectomy with radiation -- even when in left breast -- versus mastectomy? I lost most of my right lung to recent lung cancer surgery ... no radiation or chemo required. Now I have to have left breast surgery -- why would I do lumpectomy with radiation when (a) radiation can cause heart damage; (b) if it scars or damages my left lung, I'm left with very little lung left; (3) why can't I do mastectomy and be done with it? Also, I just learned that if you have breast reconstruction, they need to work on the other side too, so if you have very fibroid breasts and you're over 60, why not do a double mastectomy, pick out the boobs of your dreams, and never have to have another mammogram again?Can someone please explain this to me?

• Flnana2
    Flnana2 Member Posts: 102
    Options

Terij, I wish someone had prepared me for the pain of the dye injections. While the numbing cream may help with the pain of the needle, the real pain is when the dye goes in. I ask about lidocaine and they said it interferes with the dye. Someone needs to figure out how to make that less painful. At least it’s over and I’ll never have to do it again.

Kiyzelover, good question...why can’t you have a mastectomy and get new boobs and get it over with? That’s what I’m doing and I’m over 60.

I’m off to get it done. I’m doing it outpatient so I’ll be home late tonight.

Prayers gladly accepted

• kjm90
    kjm90 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Another Texas lady here … I am scheduled for a skin-sparing total mastectomy on my left side on 12/17. I've been in a clinical trial for the past six months on Femara trying to see if that or Ibrance (the other drug in the trial) makes a difference at lower stages. The Femara (or maybe my keto diet!) shrunk the tumor some, but not enough to avoid the mastectomy. I guess ILC is too sneaky anyway, so it has to be a total mastectomy. It's been a long year and this is going to be my fourth surgery in a year … I had a total hysterectomy last December (Christmas is beginning to feel like it is connected to major surgeries!), a second surgery in February for complications with that, then realizing I had breast cancer as soon as I was released from the hysterectomy, and then tearing my labrum in August, resulting in a September surgery for that (on the same side as my cancer). Thanks in advance for those who have already posted to give some feedback as to how their surgery went so that I don't go into this totally clueless, and will look forward to hearing how everyone is doing afterward. As I found with my hysterectomy last year, it helps to compare notes and see if things you are experiencing are "normal" or not.

Happy holidays and prayers for everyone!

• rhodygirl55
    rhodygirl55 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Terij, i wish i knew what they used, but the dye injections werent too painful for me. So far, the biopsies have bee the worst part of the whole ordeal. Remember that when it's over the cancer will be out of you

Sending you all the best for your surgeries

• PTAmomTX
    PTAmomTX Member Posts: 49
    Options

Whelp, I finished my finals for school today, so now I can focus for getting ready for my double mastectomy on Monday, the 16th. I think I have most things I will need. I still have to pack the bag. And clean the house since my in-laws are coming on the 18th. It was a planned visit before we discovered that I needed surgery. I’m glad they will be here to help out, but it is an added stress in my opinion. My daughter (6yo) is starting to realize that mommy will be gone for a few days and when I come home, I won’t be able to do everything for a while. I had her at a counselor today to talk to her about it.

I’ve been following all the comments on emails, but haven’t gotten to log in here. We also have a case of the man-flu here in the house, so I have been sleeping on the couch upstairs. As far away as I can get. I can not catch his cold right before surgery. Do you think that they would cancel it if I’m sick?

I have my final pre-op appointment with my plastic surgeon tomorrow and labs at the hospital. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

I’m pulling for you all

• Teslafied
    Teslafied Member Posts: 11
    Options

TeriJ:  I was so nervous about how painful the injections would be, but it was not that bad for me.  I was given an Rx for Emla cream, which is lidocaine.  I was not told that it would interfere with the dye.  I had my injections the day prior to my lumpectomy.  My BS said to put the cream on 2 hours prior to the procedure, then cover with plastic wrap to keep it from getting on my clothes.  I used rubber gloves when I put it on.  I had the Magseed placements first, then the 4 nipple injections.  The first one was a little uncomfortable, but I barely felt the last one.  It was over with in just a couple of minutes.

Two weeks from today will be my last day with cancer!!  Best wishes to all of you this month.

• Accarpenter
    Accarpenter Member Posts: 6
    Options

I had a double prophylactic bmx on the 6th. I was terrified even after alL the support here. I have been very fortunate that I am in no real pain and the surgery was very uneventful. I opted for diep reconstruction . I ended up with scheduling complications the day of the surgery ( the breast surgeon had somehow not gotten scheduled - this was realized just as they were getting ready to put me under). My care was great and I am so glad that I had this done. The after care is a bit much but I am sure it will all be worth it in the end

• texasmama
    Options

accarpenter- So glad to hear your surgery went well. Tomorrow I have my dmx with diep flap reconstruction, so I find your post very encouraging. Best wishes for a smooth recovery!

• rlmessy
    rlmessy Member Posts: 97
    Options

Hi Everyone!!

I have got to go through and read all the posts to figure out who is here. I am officially one week out from my DMX in 12.18. I am going flat. I have been trying to stay off the site for my mental well being. 12.18 will be 71 days from dx and the waiting was getting to me.

Wishing everyone well!!!

• texasmama
    Options

I had my surgery yesterday and it went well. I'll be in the hospital for a couple more days. I think I'm going to be pleased with the diep flap reconstruction.

Unfortunately, on my right side they found cancer in the sentinel lymph nodes, so they had to remove more lymph nodes. We don’t yet know what the next step will be.

• Flnana2
    Flnana2 Member Posts: 102
    Options

Hi,

I had my surgery on Tuesday. I was in at 8:30 and out at 8:00pm. The surgery was 4 hours. I had a double MX with tissue expanders. I feel pretty darn good considering. My PS gave me a long lasting numbing medication that helped with pain for 3 days. Otherwise, I've just been on prescription strength ibuprofen. I've been up and about for walks. Keeping my kitty off me has been challenging 😿

Texasmama, congrats on your surgery may I ask, where did you get your diep done?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• texasmama
    Options

Finana2: I got my diep flap done at Texas Health Harris Methodist. I’m glad to hear you’re doing well! I’m going to have a hard time keeping my dog off me when I get home.

• lulu44
    lulu44 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hi everyone. I’m having a lumpectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy (ovaries & tubes out) on Tues 12/17/19. I’m nervous about the immediate menopause but I’ve hd neoadjuvant chemo & targeted therapies so I stopped having periods anyway. Hopefully it’s not too bad. Hope everyone’s surgeries go well!

• TeriJ
    Options

wow, so much to catch up on! I'm so glad everyone who has had their surgeries are recovering and reporting positive experiences! I'm so busy getting ready for Christmas and company and surgery on Monday that I haven't had much time to think about things. I had my Savi Scout placed yesterday and it was super simple. My boob is sore, but I just don't touch it. I'm drinking water like mad to keep hydrated! I got my Emla cream and am planning to use more than the “nickel sized amount" they recommended. Haha! I said, “you gave me a whole tube!" Thank you all for your information and help and support. Rest well everyone and speedy recoveries to you all. I apologize for the lack of personal messages as I've got limited time to refer back to each post (I have a dog and a kiddo staring at me! 😊).
    Best wishes to those of you preparing for surgery.

My test results are in and am Her2 neg, and no genetic relation to any cancers. Looks like I'll have 4 wks of rads. I just want to know how soon I can get back to playing tennis. I’m hoping my nodes are clear

I'll report back Tuesday when I'm sitting here healing and trying to stay out of the Christmas cookies!

• PTAmomTX
    Options

I’m heading out to the hospital for my surgery. Wish me luck!

Also, if anyone here needs Knitted Knockers, let me know. They are soft prosthetic inserts for before reconstruction or if you decide that you don’t want to go that route. I’ve been knitting them for the nonprofit group that distributes them and will be more than happy to make some for y’all. It will keep my hands busy

• TeriJ
    Options

best of luck Brashich!! I leave in less than two hours for mine! We woke up to 6” of snow

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

Hope all went well, TeriJ!

• rlmessy
    Options

Calling all Wednesday Gals!! I am scheduled tomorrow for a DMX. Anyone else going in too?

• PTAmomTX
    Options

my surgery went well. The lymph nodes that they removed were clear too (yay!). They got the old boobs and nips out and put in the tissue expanders. And he was able to fill them quite a bit since I’m so stretchy.

And thank you to the ladies who discussed the nuclear dye for the lymph nodes. I did not expect that. Only 2 or my 4 injections were painful, but I lived. Hoping @TeriJ went well. Fingers crossed

• TeriJ
    Options

Hello all! I’m alive and got that lump and a node out of me! I used a ton of Emla cream for the dye injections and didn’t feel any of the first three. The fourth one was a tiny bit painful. Apparently it just depends if they hit a nerve. I didn’t sleep all night but my boob stopped hurting by 2 am. The surgeon thinks she got it all and the radiologist believes that too. I’ll know in a week.

Rosie24: thank u for your well wishes. I’m doing well, but I have it much easier than a lot of you. My sympathies are with all of you.

Brashich: yay! You are sounding good and positive. I hope u feel good today.

This may be a great lesson for my hubby. He is learning what it takes to actually make a meal, serve it hot, and clean up! He’s a great person, Ug I’ll be ready for him to be at work on thursday. Napping is impossible with him around.

Rlmessy: best of luck tomorrow! You’ve got this

• texasmama
    Options

Yay for Brashich and TeriJ!! I hope you recover quickly!

Prayers for lulu44 for her surgery today and rlmessy and pegasus68 on their surgeries tomorrow

I have a follow up appointment with the reconstruction surgeon tomorrow and the cancer surgeon on Thursday. I’m hoping they will remove two of my drains tomorrow. Five drains have been a bit much to manage!

• rlmessy
    Options

Ack!! Tomorrow is the big day and I am freaking out. Since I am going flat we were going to burn my bras tonight but a friend's hubby said not to due to the possibility they are treated with that fire retardant stuff, those times would be toxic. So, I am cutting them all up this weekend when I get home.

Now, I am just hydrating and eating till I can fall asleep. Have to be at the hospital at 7:30!!! Thankfully, the nurse said I could take my Xanax in the morning so I am totally popping that pill!!

See you all on the flat side!!!

• PTAmomTX
    Options

the drains are annoying, aren’t they? One of mine has been faulty from the start, so they decided to change it as we are checking out to go home. Now I’m waiting. They need guidance. I know the dr asked them to do it at 6 am Meh, hubby is getting a nap in the lounger. I might take one too while they figure out what they are doing.

The anesthesiologist did a block on each side to help with pain and muscle spasms. I recommend asking for that if you can. I can tell one side is wearing off and would love for him to give me another one.

Hoping I can go home soon. Hoping today’s surgery go well for y’all.

• texasmama
    Options

Brashich- Yikes!! I’m sorry you have to have a drain replaced! I’m glad you get to go home today.

Rlmessy- best wishes to you today!!

I went to my appointment this morning expecting to have two drains removed, but instead they took out three!! I can’t tell you how much better that makes me feel! Now I only have two drains and they are quite manageable.

• PTAmomTX
    Options

yay for the drain removal!!!

on another note: did I tell y’all that I started my period the night before surgery? Yep. Because there wasn’t enough to deal with. Here is what I’ve learned. They give you pads and those maternity panties for surgery and after. But once I could, I switched to Depends. The bladder undies. Best. Thing. Ever. No pads/tampons. No leaks, no worries, no fuss. If you are in the same situation, I highly recommend picking some up. And they are super soft. I wore them after my hernia surgery years ago which is similar to the flap cuts, and it didn’t Aggravate the sutures at all.

• Shelligirl
    Shelligirl Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hi All! I just found this group. I’m another TX girl and had my surgery at UTSW,12/12. I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. I suffered every single minute with chemo, but this has been really easy and so far have had zero pain.

Has anyone found a good resource to help with understanding your surgical pathology report?