Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

December 2019 Surgery Group

Options
12345679»

Comments

• PTAmomTX
    PTAmomTX Member Posts: 49
    Options

MD_Mom, my tissue expander on my affected side hangs differently and doesn’t seem as filled as the other. Even though they have the same amount. I asked the PS about it. He said the difference is part because they had to take out more tissue on the affected side, and also because the claw anchors that the tissue expanders use is placed differently. He said it would be adjusted when the implants are put in, plus when they fill in around it with fat from other areas of my body. (I like that bit-arms and tummy please!)

My side that didn’t have the cancer that they removed is the side that hurts more. He said they don’t know why, but that seems to be common in bilatérales where only one side had the cancer.

*** also, if anyone here wants knitted chemo caps, pm me and I can make up some for you. Custom color and fiber choice. Designs too if you want. My MIL makes them regularly for the hospital she volunteers at, but I also knit. Same thing if you want knitted knockers. Just let me know

• MD_Mom
    MD_Mom Member Posts: 6
    Options

PTAmomTX - thanks for responding! I feel better knowing that I'm not crazy thinking there must be something different. Will they do the fat grafting in the same surgery as the implant exchange? That feels like a bonus! Thanks for all that you and your MIL do for these ladies!

• HeartShapedBox
    HeartShapedBox Member Posts: 117
    Options

Thanks, I'm relieved to know the leaking isn't uncommon, I was pretty alarmed when it started!

@TexasMama 5 weeks!?! Ugh, you poor thing! Really trying to rest the arm (& tightening up my binder again) reduced my output significantly, I hope it does so for you too! When you say your surgeon might have to resort to "surgical intervention" if it doesn't stop draining, what do you mean?

@Kjl glad your drain problems finally cleared up! My fear is having it removed too soon and having bad swelling again, is that what happened to you after removal, or were you actually leaking out the drain hole? (Do they stitch it, or just leave it open??) I'm so sorry they are recommending chemo after you thought you wouldnt need it. I didn't think I'd be able to make myself do the 4 months of neoadjuvant chemo they demanded before surgery (I'm also luminal B/ HER2+) but I got through it. Trastuzumab itself is luckily REALLY mild; maybe a little extra fatigue than normal, and it works very well on HER2+ cancer. I didn't do paclitaxol but I did taxotere (which is a similar taxane) plus another chemo, and they were definitely hard and I felt terrible for awhile, but I took it one cycle at a time and told myself (& my MO agreed it was my choice) that I could quit at any time if I started feeling like it was too much. It was terrible, but I finished all my treatments! Let yourself finish healing from surgery for now, and give yourself time to consider at least trying the chemo, as HER2+ cancer is more aggressive and prone to recurring, BUT it also responds really well to treatment. YOU make the decisions about your treatment, so take extra time if that's what you need.

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hello everyone, I’m finally catching up. I’m sorry for those of you that have found out you need chemo. However, I do know we all need to do what we can to fight this, no matter our stage or circumstance.

Rosie and Jhl thanks for responding about your surgeries and consequent twinges and side effects. I don’t have itching per say, but the sudden sharp pains continue and seem to be less frequent. I’ve been massaging my scars which creeps me the heck out, and where the lumpectomy is located is still tender. I’m wearing Ceca care strips on my two scars to see if that helps. I’m also enjoying being back playing tennis three days a week and will try to keep that up as I’m able through rads. My simulation is Tuesday.

KJL, I hope you are doing better. This is a roller coaster and a whirlwind of decisions and information.

MD Mom, welcome

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    Options

Yay!!! After 5 1/2 weeks my final drain is finally out!!!

HeartShapedBox- I didn’t fully understand what she would do surgically. The drain that was hanging on so long was draining the axillary area where she removed my lymph nodes. She said that sometimes people develop a hard rind that allows fluid to pool. She would go back in and remove the rind if I had one. I’m really glad I was able to get to drain out. I hope yours comes out soon!

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

TexasMama congratulations!! What a relief that must be! I've been hovering around 30 all wknd and went down to 22 today, so I'm calling tomorrow!

• texasmama
    Options

Yay, heartshapedbox!! I hope your drain comes out tomorrow

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Drain OUT! Whoo hoo! Man that was a crazy sensation; I only had one drain but the flat "French drain" part of it was 8" long and curled up my armpit, over my chest, down and around, and after 3 weeks my chest tissue had started to grow into the holes and the nurse really had to tug to get that puppy out! It felt like a sea creature writhing around my chest!

• rhodygirl55
    rhodygirl55 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Heartshapedbox and Texasmama you must be so happy to have those drains out! What a relief!!

• texasmama
    Options

Heartshapedbox: Woo hoo! I’m glad you got your drain out!!

• Badluckbdaygirl
    Badluckbdaygirl Member Posts: 55
    Options

Congratulations to you ladies for finally getting those crazy drains out! How is everyone doing? I’m getting my third fill on Monday (trying to go 1 1/2 weeks instead of just a week). I hate them, but after a few days they feel less hard. I still am sleeping on my back on a wedge pillow. I miss sleeping on my side. I’m still having bouts of crying for no reason, but I feel as this is hopefully normal.

Has anyone started their hormonals? I know some of you are on chemo. I was supposed to meet my MO a week or so ago, but felt I needed a couple of weeks to recover (I didn’t think a small delay was too crazy) I’m going next week and a little afraid of Tamoxifen. Also, my BS said she my MO would not order an OncotypeDX? I thought if I qualified, I should get it. I think I will still ask because of my age, etc.

Just checking in. Hope you ladies are doing okay😄

• Flnana2
    Flnana2 Member Posts: 102
    Options

Hi,

Badluckbdaygirl, I just had my second of 3 fills yesterday and mine didn’t hurt too bad. I got 200cc. I was prepared with a muscle relaxer but only ended up taking ibuprofen and this morning feel fine. I was able to sleep on my side which helps as I’m not a back sleeper. I’ll have my final fill in two weeks and then start radiation. I will start an AI after radiation.

Texasmama and heartshapedbox, congrats on getting the dreaded drains out. Life gets so much easier now!

• Badluckbdaygirl
    Options

FLnana2,

That’s great you can sleep on your side! 200 cc’d, wow! I thought my 100 was a lot. I am supposed to have two more, but I’m already looking bigger than I thought. I wonder if the expanders are larger than the actual implants😂. I may have to have a discussion about size with my PS

• texasmama
    Options

So, is everyone moving on with their next step? I’m having my port placement on Friday and beginning chemo the following Monday.

• Badluckbdaygirl
    Options

Good luck, Texasmama with chemo. I finally meet with my MO this week to hopefully get my Tamoxifen. I actually delayed a couple of weeks to recover more from BMX. I’m also going to ask for my Oncotype test which my BS said she did not want to do.

I hope everyone Is healing nicely. I’m getting my third fill in my expanders tomorrow and dreading it🙄

• PTAmomTX
    PTAmomTX Member Posts: 49
    Options

BirthdayGirl- I thought my expanders looked bigger than what I was before, but then I tried on an old bra as I was boxing them up and discovered that there was still a lot of room. I think for me they just seem big because they don’t have all the fat around them. Like two round water balloons stuck to my chest. We’ve started calling them “the water sacks” at our house.

So, are we all drain free now

• Badluckbdaygirl
    Options

Ha, PTAmom!

I was a B, although a saggy from breastfeeding B, and am not used to these things being so up in my face. I'm going to do a gentle reminder to my PS tomorrow that I may love Dolly, but it's just too much for me🤪. Trying to find a little humor in this stressful process.

It’s good to know you still have room

• rhodygirl55
    Options

Hope everyone is doing OK, good luck TexasMama with your chemo next week.

I got my last fill yesterday and cannot imagine how you can handle 100 or 200 ml!! I’ve only had 60 at a time and this last one was the worst, but I’m overfilled due to upcoming radiation. So now a little lopsided with a grapefruit on the right and a much less perky B on the left😃

On to the next stages for me- Radiation starts next week for 5 weeks then Anastrozole. I’m trying to be optimistic that the hormone therapy won’t be too, too bad🤞

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Did anyone have lymphatic cording aka axillary web syndrome after lymph node removal? It made a tight, unstretchable band from my armpit to my wrist, and sticks out like a tendon in my armpit if i try to extend my arm out. I start PT for it this week, but wondering if anyone had any tips for extra things to do (besides the regular stretches I'm already doing). It really threw a wrench in my recovery progress as I have LESS range of motion since it developed (exactly a month after surgery) than I did before!

• rhodygirl55
    Options

Heartshapedbox, Hope the PT has helped, sorry you had to add that on top of everything else.

I have a scar cord just in my armpit and have been going to PT and it has helped a lot after a couple of sessions. She massages the armpit and arm. I’m doing PT for the range of motion also.

I know it’s not the same as your case, but hopefully it will help you in a short time.

Good luck