Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo December 2019

Options

Comments

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

Congrats bejeweled to be done with AC!

Maryjv I’m with you. Treatment Monday, didn’t get out of bed today. I think it’s the Neulasta. Hope tomorrow you feel better. I finished 4 out of 8 so halfway.

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    Options

slept the day away yesterday! Today back at work...my hair is a matted mess just about all has fallen out but putting one foot in front of the other! We got this ladies🙏

• gearup52
    gearup52 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Awesome Bejewled! I hope this recovery treats you better than the previous. I have one more AC on Monday and then 4 DD taxol. I have not had too bad of a time on AC and hope I can get the same or better with Taxol though I am really worried about neuropathy.

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi Ladies, hope everyone is hanging in there. It's day 3 of cycle 2 for me. Doing ok so far. Neulasta was yesterday and some slight bone pain is coming on, but hoping the Claritin will help a little bit. I think last cycle the pain subsided by about day 5-7. I'll try to get out and walk today, but I'm dragging a little bit.

Bejeweled, 4 rounds complete is awesome!!! A win for the books. Hope the Taxol goes smoothly and quickly (is it weekly)? Let me know how the acupuncture goes. My MO said I could do that too and I'm thinking of it (I used to go in the past). Unfortunately this year's insurance doesn't cover it, but maybe a few sessions here and there would be helpful.

Eigna, your day 8 feeling good is quite encouraging, especially since you're a week ahead of me. How did the Penicillin test go?

Margo, how are you feeling today?

Maryjv, I also got a little rash on my face and back. I thought I was just breaking out in pimples and I'm thinking, seriously, at 50 I'm getting acne? Lol...but it did clear up after 3-4 days and the rest of the cycle my skin stayed fairly clear, but much drier than normal. I've just been slathering on the moisturizer. I'm sure the drier winter air and running the heat so much (yes even in San Diego) hasn't helped either.

Amyhey, how are you feeling now? They said my liver enzymes were slightly elevated too this week. It scared me but the MO said that was normal and she didn't feel it was necessary yet to lower the dose. These kind of things cause me anxiety...ughh. I was searching all over the internet on how to lower this and the only thing I came across is Milk Thistle and Dandelion Greens, and I'm sure we're not supposed to take those herbs. Darn.

I'll keep drinking water, anyone have any other suggestions on keeping the liver clean? I can't wait to do a big detox when chemo and radiation are all done. I incorporate a lot of nutritional and natural supplements into my lifestyle and it's been hard to stop all those during treatments. But I know it's best not to risk any interactions. We want this chemo to do it's job.

Sending lots of love and healing thoughts to all you beautiful ladies!!!

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hi Havingfaithtoday - Day 10 - I'm feeling super! I workout every morning. Today I did a clean up of my whole pantry and made muffins for the kids. I also have some kind of rash on my cheeks like last cycle. But it does clear up in a few days. I also use moisturizer on my face because I feel it dry too. P.S. My worst days this cycle wereday 3 and day 4.

As for the allergy test it went well. I am no longer allergic to Penicillin which is great news.

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Hi everyone! Well so far of the 3 cycles this is the worse. I’m on Day 4, and so much more nauseous than the first two times. And the bone pain is bad. I havnt eaten much all day, just can’t seem to find anything that looks decent to eat. I’m drinking water and Power Ade. I’ve taken my nausea meds.... did anyone get like this? and if so what was good to eat? I know that’s a broad question cuz everyone’s taste is different. But I’m open to ideas.

Hope everyone is doing well tonight

• Eigna
    Options

Margo When I felt nausea but mine was very mild though I had to keep my stomach full all the time. I has cravings for salty stuff so I would snack on crackers and nachos and had Perrier or ginger ale.

• maryjv
    Options

margo-right where you are...nothing seems appealing and I made a big batch of chicken caldo on chemo day which just makes me nauseous thinking of it....just trying ginger ale, crackers, dry cereal

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Margo & Maryjv,

Sorry to hear your feeling nauseous. How about some ginger tea? I also got these ginger chews that I had last night. Another thing that helps me settle my stomach is salty pretzels. Hope it subsides soon for both of you.

Eigna, so glad you're feeling well and fantastic news about the Penicillin test. You inspired me to make muffins last night.

I'm noticing I definitely feel better in the Mornings, then hit a slump between 3-5p. Yesterday I felt kinda down, don't know if that was coming off the Steroid or not.

I'm struggling with the hair loss. Even though I'm cold capping, I've lost about 80% of my hair and it just looks awful.

How's everyone else coping with this? I know it's minor in the greater picture, but it sure does a number on your confidence.

Sending love to you all!

• Sunrisefish
    Sunrisefish Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hey Ladies,

Just checking in. I'm day 14 out from first cycle and my hair started shedding like crazy 2 days ago. My hair is pretty fine and there is no way this is going to look ok in a few days. Every time I even touch my hair my hands are just full of it. It's crazy - it's happening so fast. I can't imagine going through the emotional roller coaster of fighting it every day trying to make it look decent. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get it shaved. I hope I don't chicken out and I fully expect to have a good cry as I have no idea what is under my hair. I'm fully expecting to look like an alien. LOL

Hugs Lovely Warriors!

• maryjv
    Options

My hair was thick and long-started falling out after first treatment! Had my husband buzz cut Last night. It feels so much better! It was hurting my head so much! We got this ladies, one day at a time!

• Sunrisefish
    Options

Can I just say that you Maryjv would look awesome with our without hair! You're a beauty!

• maryjv
    Options

Thank you! We are all beautiful!! ❤️❤️❤️

• Eigna
    Options

We are all beautiful! I thought it was going to be hard when I lost my hair. But I didn’t even cry. Can you believe it! When it starts falling there’s no control over it. Better off shaving it off. That is my advice.

• Sunrisefish
    Options

I shaved mine this morning!! What a relief. The hair loss was ridiculous! It feels so much better to have the dying hair gone. I am free from worrying about it. I did cry... but then I was like... this is ok. Im going to rock the scarves!

• maryjv
    Options

Sunrise!! So beautiful!!! I love your scarf🙏

• jrnj
    Options

You guys look beautiful!!! And I love the scarf too!

• Eigna
    Options

Hello sunrise! Love the scarf! I have a similar one 😉!

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Yes, all you ladies are beautiful. The hair loss hit my pretty hard, probably because I wasn't expecting as much to go since I'm cold capping. But I've lost 85% at least now. I've been struggling with how I look. I finally ordered some baseball and beanie caps with hair on Amazon. And I'm experimenting with scarves and caps.

Today is day 6. The joint pain is subsiding, but my tummy is getting achy like it did last cycle. I got out for a nice beach walk which was helpful.

But more than anything, I've felt more down today. Little things just get my crying. Has anyone else experienced this. I'm sure the chemo messes with your emotions, right?

• jrnj
    Options

havefaithtoday, yes I've been feeling more down. I've had 4of 8 treatments and each time it takes longer to feel somewhat normal. More tired more chemobrain headaches agitation more hair loss. I feel bad complaining because cmf is supposed to be easier than other chemos and I'm lucky to not be working right now But it's still getting to me. I've lost about 75% of my hair. It looks pretty bad and I really don't want to wear a wig. I wore a headband and my 12 yo daughter said that’s what people with cancer wear.Just came from the movie knives out and there was a trailer for a new movie about breast cancer. Had me bawling. I feel good when I'm working on the house. If I'm too tired to do that it gets me down. I've been binge Watching botched trying to decide on reconstruction lol.

• jrnj
    Options

woo hoo. Just read cancer does not feed off of sugar and you don’t really have to reduce sugar as your body regulates sugar regardless and will make it if you don’t eat it. They said just don’t become obese. Sloan and MD Anderson articles. That made me feel better lol.

• maryjv
    Options

Feeling down today, stomach hurts, sour and have no energy...try to stay positive and happy but not today...and my daughter is sick and I can’t be the one to comfort her!!! I know this is temporary but not feeling very good right now❤️ Good to know about the sugar because I can’t do Keto and go through this journey...I need some carbs in my life

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Oh Gosh sounds like lots of us hit little slumps this week. It's hard. The emotions can be all over the place. I suppose that's normal.

When I have too much time on my hands it's not good for my mind...and that's been the case lately. Trying to stay distracted and busy however I can at home since I can't really go out.

At 3a when I couldn't sleep I was ordering all sorts of hats and beanies with hair on Amazon. I only ordered ones I could return, in case I didn't like them. I have to say it's been a fun distraction for a few minutes...lol

I like this beanie, but even after a few minutes it gets hot.

Better days are around the corner for us all.

• maryjv
    Options

love it Have Faith!!!! Feeling better and back at work today! Agree, it’s the down time that gets me thinking!!! Hoping and praying you are all doing well🙏

• jrnj
    Options

love it! I had long hair too. I just ordered a 35 dollar wig on tlc. We’ll see what that looks like lol. I’m going to stick to baseball hats. Itsmore me. Also on msk website:

“During treatment, you should focus on getting enough calories and protein while managing your symptoms. Be liberal with what you eat and choose your favorite foods — don't worry too much about what those foods are.“. But I have been eating too much chocolate.

• halezma
    halezma Member Posts: 13
    Options

Here is my wig that I wear when I have patient contact at work. I also bought some scarves and turbans off Amazon that I love. I also have a baseball cap with hair that I love for quick runs to the store or gas station.

• jrnj
    Options

Looks great! So natural. My wig keeps giving me unnatural bumps on the top back because it rides up the back. How do you keep it down? Wig hugger? Adhesive?

• halezma
    halezma Member Posts: 13
    Options

I got a large size when I bought it because the regular size got bumpy and felt like it was about to fly off.

• maryjv
    Options

looking good halezma!!

• Sunrisefish
    Options

havefaith and halezma, love the wigs! So natural looking! I have 2 wigs but haven't worn either. I'm more afraid to wear wigs than scarves. What do you think? My family hates the brunette one. I had short blonde hair naturally and they just can't handle me as a brunette. Mist of the time at home I'm just rocking my bald head...which they like.