Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo December 2019

Options

Comments

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    Options

sunrise fish-both are nice but do prefer you as a blond!! Beautiful! I am like you, own a wig but not using-love the bald look!

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Having faith - it’s beautiful! Lots of hair!

JRJN - I also read the same about trying to get enough protein and chose food that you like but I also went overboard with nachos,chips and chocolate. I gained 3 lbs !!! Yikes! Now I’m trying to be careful especially the days I feel ok.

Halezma - The wig is beautiful. Is it synthetic? It looks beautiful on you.

Sunrisefish- both wigs are nice but I prefer the blond wig!

• kat333
    kat333 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Wow halezma... Beautiful!

JRNJ... trying to sort out the same issue with riding up in the back. Just a little adhesive secures the front but application to back, though doable, is more tricky. There is a learning curve to be sure.

sunrisefish... I like both. The blond one really makes your eyes stand out. Very pretty.

I am having fun with the wigs but get frustrated so put it all up for a day or two then back to the drawing board.

• Sunrisefish
    Sunrisefish Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hey gals,

For those having trouble getting the wig to stay put - I have one of these... got it at a wig store, but it's on Amazon - and the wig stays perfectly where it is supposed to front and back - very comfortable too.

https://www.amazon.com/MainBasics-Velvet-Adjustabl...=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=3-3-d2lnIGFjY2Vzc29yaWVz-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=wig+adhesive&keywords=wig+adhesive&pd_rd_i=B07MDJLLD5&pd_rd_r=40482b52-30e0-46cd-a4fc-88e5378fec22&pd_rd_w=80cC7&pd_rd_wg=5cNOQ&pf_rd_p=6d29ef56-fc35-411a-8a8e-7114f01518f7&pf_rd_r=8R3VWWM2ESM9SE7DQE4B&psc=1&qid=1579731231&sr=1-4-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

Maryjv - I'm with you - I actually don't mind my bald head. (I've always liked bald men.. .turns out I like bald women too) Who knew? LOL

• kat333
    Options

Thank you for the tip sunrishfish... just bought one.

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    Options

sunrisefish, I love the blonde one on you. You're a very beautiful lady. Ya, around the house I've just been wearing a bandana scarf. I'm noticing my head is getting colder here and there.

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

Sunrisefish, you are so cute, and don't look your age! It's all about what you are comfortable in. My goal was to look as much like my actual hair so people couldn't tell. But I rarely wear my hair down and haven't found any ponytail wigs, which is how I really wear my hair. My wig looks like my hair right after a keratin treatment, but it's only that perfect right out of the salon. It's naturally curly and frizzy.

Havefaithtoday, I just realized you live in San Diego. Do they wear ski hats in San Diego? Is it cold there? lol. I have a good friend in San Clemente.

• halezma
    halezma Member Posts: 13
    Options

Sunrise I love the brunette wig! And I'm with you when I'm home I rock the bald look.

• Sunrisefish
    Options

Thanks gals for all the kind words. It is so nice to have a support group through all of this. I'm off to treatment # 2 tomorrow. Not looking forward to feeling like &%$ again in that first week! I'm also going to miss my annual company party and my husbands (both next week) - I never miss those! I asked my oncologist if I could go if I felt up to it. His response "You 'can' go, but you really 'should' stay home and watch TV." Ugh... Plus he says. "You won't be able to taste the food or the wine anyway" LOL. I guess it's not worth the risk of picking up some nasty virus. My taste buds actually recovered in the last few days (right before treatment # 2).... so I treated myself to a pint of black raspberry chocolate chip gelato. And, I ate it all!! (Eigna... I have also gained 3 pounds.... well maybe 4 after that gelato) Worth it!

• jrnj
    Options

After two consults with plastic surgeons this week and much anxiety over which option to pick and which surgeon to pick, keep mine or go with a new one, I've think I've decided to do DIEP with possible implants also after chemo and radiation. I see most of the ladies had lumpectomies on this thread. Sunrisefish, I see you had Mx, so I read your story on other threads. I'm glad post radiation implants worked for you. I saw they didn't work for others. We were going to try and squeeze TE in-between chemo and radiation, but I decided it's not worth the risk and I don't want to delay radiation for several weeks. My TE were removed due to infection, so wouldn't be able to get full fill.

So in conclusion, I will now try and gain weight in order to have bigger boobs and possibly avoid implants and bought 2 gallons of ice cream, lol.

• amyhey
    amyhey Member Posts: 42
    Options

Hi Havefaithtoday. I go for my next treatment on Wednesday the 29th. I’m anxious to see what my liver numbers are then. I asked about the milk thistle and got a big NO! I also am a big believer in supplements and natural remedies, so it’s tough not to try something that might help.

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Hi y’all.... sorry to be absent so long... the last week has been the worse, now have a cold, still have cough too...the cough is worse at night and gets almost constant and that gets me nauseous.....its getting old. But not coughing up anything bad, so just pressing on til the last treatment! I’m hoping there is nothing about having a cold that would cause me not to be able to get treatment.....

I love all the wigs! I’ll try to post a pic soon of mine. I wear a little band under my wig that holds it in place. Got it at the wig shop.

Hope everyone has a good weekend

• havefaithtoday
    Options

JRNJ, praying all works out with the DIEP. Sounds like you are in the hands of good Drs.

I live in Oceanside (Northern San Diego), but I grew up in San Clemente:) What part of Jersey are you in? My parents were born and raised there and that's were most of my extended family live. We visit every year. Some people wear beanies here. It's been averaging in the mid 60's, but today it got up to 70 and that was nice. I wore one of my baseball hats with hair tonight and I felt like everyone was staring at me....but they would've been more shocked if I didn't have anything on my head...lol. I guess it takes some getting used to going out with a wig or hat with wig.

Amyhey, I hope your #'s are good. Will that be your last cycle?

Margo53, so sorry to hear you've been feeling lousy. That is just no fun on top of everything else with chemo. What day is your last chemo? You're almost there!!!!

I'm on day 10 of cycle #2, the main thing that's been effected by my taste buds has been water. It has that metallic taste. But most other things still taste ok. I've had a good appetite too I've noticed. I especially like to snack at night (much like my old habits).

My mood felt better the last couple days...prior to that I was really feeling down and would cry at the drop of a pin. Anyone else experience that?

Sending sunshine and love to you all!

• jrnj
    Options

Thanks Havefaithtoday. I'm in Jackson, the exact middle of NJ, 15 minutes from Six Flags Great Adventure, grew up in Middletown. I would love to live in CA, but too chicken to move. I lost my taste buds this week also and my tongue is a little swollen and feels weird. And I also snack, or have full meals, late at night. I'm not working right now, so staying up late, sleeping late. Baseball hats are pretty common here and wouldn't stand out. I would feel more comfortable in a baseball hat than a scarf, but that's me, I'm more sporty/casual always in sneakers. Just bought a silver baseball hat in Claire's and a gold one in Adidas lol. Yes it's normal to be more emotional. There are 10 million ads on tv and facebook about breast cancer constantly reminding....

• maryjv
    Options

JRNJ-I am planning for a DIEP flat as well (I def have some abdominal fat to spare)...i am thinking the surgery will be split (mastectomy, radiation and then reconstruction) but will ask when I go back for AC Round 3 on Monday!

Havefaithtoday-glad you are feeling better, for me the week of chemo (when i have fatigue and side effects) is when I get emotional as well! But this week I bounce back and feel like myself again...

Margo53-hoping you feel better soon, but so happy to hear you only have one more treatment!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

• havefaithtoday
    Options

JRNJ, my family is scattered from Bergen County down to Tom's River and everywhere in between. Then some extend up to MA and lots have migrated to FL in the winter. We love to visit them in NJ, but mostly in the summer...lol.

I'm with you on the baseball hats, I feel pretty comfortable in those as well. My neighbor gave me a nice pack of these knit beanies that are lightweight and very comfy too.

So last night I did not sleep well at all and I'm thinking my late night snacking might not be helping, so tonight I will try to stop eating after 8ish. I'm sure last night's Peanut Butter sandwich and pretzels at 9:30p didn't help. Lol

• jrnj
    Options

havefaithtoday, Jackson is next to Toms River, so let me know if you ever want to have lunch, I'll drive to Toms River! Sometimes eating late helps me sleep if my stomach is turning, and I eat soup, and sometimes it hurts, like when I eat bag of chocolate, lol.

Mary, good to know, we can compare procedures. Sequence depends on the drs. If I had chosen DIEP upfront, they were going to do it with my BMx, not knowing if I was going to have radiation yet. But he also told me I didn't have enough fat for two which is why I didn't choose it. But knowing that you are having radiation upfront, they may recommend waiting. I have to wait 6 months after radiation. Are you having a double? Probably need to talk to PS. MO might not know.

Margo, sorry you're feeling so crummy. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.

Sunrisefish, I'm surprised your MO said that. With Neulasta, WBC should be normal. My daughter has been constantly sick, so I can't avoid it, but haven't gotten anything yet. But I chose not to go to xmas parties, didn't feel up for it.

• maryjv
    Options

JRNJ- my SO was recommending BMX even prior to genetic testing because of my age (34) and risk of reoccurrence. I did test positive for BRAD1 mutation, so I am def proceeding with BMX! I'm sure I will go back and visit PS prior to surgery. But that is 4 months away at this point. Have a wonderful weekend!

• margo53
    Options

have Faith today.....my last treatment is Feb 3, a week from this Monday. I called my MO office today and they quickly called in a ZPack. Hope it helps. I told her I sure didn’t want anything to get in the way of me getting last treatment, if I could help it. My tastebuds are way off too, but seem to change every day. This cycle I have not been drinking as much, which isn’t good... have to force myself.

Hope everyone has a good weekend

• Sunrisefish
    Options

margo, congrats last treatment is around the corner!!

For all of you contemplating the breast surgeries my heart goes out to you. Very difficult decisions. I remember being quite scared to have double mastectomy and direct implants after radiation. But 3 years out both of the new girls are fine... and honestly my non radiated breast you can hardly tell it isn't natural. Even the radiated one looks pretty darn good. You can feel the implants though in both. Good luck with whatever options you go with. Surgeries are just getting better and better. And I'm sure you'll all do great. One day this will all be behind us!

• margo53
    Options

Here’s my wig y’all.image

• maryjv
    Options

Beautiful Margo!!

• Sunrisefish
    Options

Wow! It looks great Margo! So natural!

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Margo, you look beautiful. I would never even know you're wearing a wig. Hope you're feeling well.

• kat333
    Options

Looks so nice Margo. Love the color blend... very pretty and natural.

• margo53
    Options

thanks everyone! I like the wig, but dislike wearing it, BUT happy they are available ! I have a lot of scarves but have trouble tieing them..... they always seem like they are about to come off.

Anyone have treatments this week? My last one is a week from today! So excited on one hand but have mixed feelings cuz this last two weeks have been extremely hard, so not looking forward to that feeling or worse.

Love to all

• kat333
    Options

Margo I hope you're feeling much better and stronger next week for final treatment. Just knowing it is the last will, hopefully, make it seem less overwhelming when thinking about it.

I have third treatment this week. Tomorrow blood draw and pre check appointment, Wednesday Chemo. Feeling a little stressed as my oncologist did tell me each one tends to be more difficult. So that has been in the back of my mind, all along, but after your experience (with 3rd) feeling a little more uneasy than previous two.

• maryjv
    Options

I just had my 3rd AC treatment...one more to go!! Resting and hoping the side effects aren’t too bad, just keep telling myself “it’s only temporary, and only to heal you”❤️ Stay strong ladies!!

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hello ladies!

Margo- wig suits you perfectly!

So I had an appointment today with MO and blood test. All good for tomorrow. Tomorrow is 3rd chemo treatments for me.

Come on girls we can do it!! 💪 💪💪

Like Maryjv said side effects are temporary. Soon we will be feeling like ourselves and hopefully cancer free.

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Sending healing thoughts to all of you at cycle #3. I'm on day 14 of cycle #2 and just started feeling a little more energy today. Hopefully I'll get to enjoy that for another week. Until cycle #3 next Tues.

I definitely felt more tired with cycle 2, so I'm guessing that will increase with each cycle. But, none of the other side effects got worse with this cycle, they stayed the same as the first one.

Yes, we gotta keep reminding ourselves this is temporary!! WE'VE GOT THIS!!!