Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting brand drug, Enhertu?

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,582
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yes, bag and filter for every infusion. Pharmacy forgot the bag once but the nurses were quick to get one after I pointed it out.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,833
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hmmmmm, I don't think any of this has been done to me! Next infusion tomorrow, I will inquire about it! Thanks girls!

• missmonty
    missmonty Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I’ll be starting this treatment in a few weeks, and am feeling quite nervous.

After almost 6 years, this will be my first infusion chemo treatment. I’ve been following along this thread once I found out this would likely be my next line. Side effects really seem to so different with every one.

Any tips for helping manage side effects the first few treatments would be greatly appreciated. I will also share my experience.

I’ve been very fortunate that I’ve had minimal side effects from my past treatments. Cautiously hopeful for the same with Enhertu, although I’ll tr to prepare for the “worst” so to speak.

Thanks,

Anna

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited April 2023
    Options

I do not have a port and have had no trouble at the site of the infusion. Your first treatment will take about twice as long so they can go very slowly and make sure you have no adverse reaction to the drug. I would advise having some Phillips pills or similar on hand in case of constipation from the pre-med steroids. Hope it treats you well.

• missmonty
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks nopink2019! I Appreciate the feedback and the tip re: constipation.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,833
    edited April 2023
    Options

MissM, we all react differently, I have hardly any SE's. You could be constipated or end up with diarrhea! I have never gotten sick, some women are sick a few days up to and over a week. I have some fatigue for a couple of days, but sleep is hard due to the steroids. This usually lasts about 3 days and then I'm good. Some women have hair loss, some don't. I've had 8 (I think) treatments and my hair continues to fall out. l'm not bald, but it's super thin. Good luck and I wish you minimal SE's!

• missmonty
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks Goldie. Nice to hear that you’re experiencing minimal side effects, and that you’re 8 treatments in. I hope it continues well for you.

• pnw
    pnw Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2023
    Options

Adios Enhertu, I hardly knew ye.

After three infusion treatments my ascites was worse, my CA antigens hit the top of the chart, and it didn't work. All I have to show for it is less hair.

Next stop, Alpelisib/PIQRAY here I come.

In the last one year Lynparza failed, Xeloda failed, Vinorelbine failed, and Enhertu failed. I like that my doc is absolutely ready to ditch a med that doesn't work for me, and they didn't.

I hope the ladies here now and in the future get better results from Enhertu than I did.

• woodlands
    woodlands Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi PNW,

So sorry that Enhertu and other treatments did not work for you. I was just like that with Ibrance, Verzenio, Affinator not working for me. Finally Xeloda worked for me, and now hopefully Enhertu will be my next line of treatment to work. I was genetically tested, and PIQRAY won't work for me, but I hope it works for you. Keep in touch and tell us how you are doing.

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    edited April 2023
    Options

Continuing on with Enhertu, started back in October of last year. Still have miserable SE's, mostly nausea, joint pain, fatigue and very low mood. All my professionals are asking me if I want antidepressants, my response is why bother. No, I don't say that out loud, but rather, I'll give it some thought. Just had a bone scan and CT scan is scheduled for May. Depending on how the results for the bone scan turn out, I will be asking for a short break. I don't know why my side effects are so pernicious this time. Maybe because I'm heavily pretreated. Nine years of stage four cancer can really do a number on you.

• illimae
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ninetwelve, just a thought, olanzapine is an antidepressant but I used off label to prevent nausea/vomiting. I was prescribed the lowest dose and notice no change at all, except for a complete end to feeling ill. I was puking for 2 weeks straight after my infusion, now nothing, it gave my my life back. I started it for 10 days after treatment and am down to 7 now. I also recently had a dose reduction, which to my surprise completely eliminated the major fatigue. I honestly have no complaints. I hope you’re able to find what works and feel better.

• nopink2019
    edited April 2023
    Options

I had scans this week and was very concerned that this drug was not working for me. MO said she would call me stable, which sounds like a win to me. Blood work shows liver function pretty normal. She said it's possible that the darkening on my liver scan is the drug killing the cancer cells, but can't be sure. Will do another CT in 2 months. Better news than I was expecting and hopefully the drug is kicking in. At least I can tame my scanxiety for a little while.

• illimae
    edited April 2023
    Options

nopink, sounds like a win, congrats 🎉

• nopink2019
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yes I feel that way, illimae. Just felt like good news I needed to share.

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks, illimae. I've already reduced my initial Enhertu dosage by 20%. I will look into olanzapine.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited April 2023
    Options

nopink, I hope you continue to get good news.

I had to reduce the dose of Enhertu due to extreme fatigue and gettting an UTI after every infusion. The UTIs have stopped and the tiredness is less. It is strange how different side effects are for everyone. My hair is growing back after Trodlevy. I dont get sick, nor constipated, but diarrhea continues to surprise me, so I carry Loperamide wherever I go.

Good wishes to those starting out and those who continue on this med..

• nopink2019
    edited April 2023
    Options

I think my advice regarding constipation & this drug has been misleading. I think that problem has occurred immediately after the infusion, which included pre-med steroids. Once that goes away I'm pretty normal

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited April 2023
    Options

thank you illimae, it is good to know .

May we all have good luck and navigate it well 👌

• denny10
    Options

Hi , I am beginning a little campaign to get the 'dislike' button removed. I do not think this will help anyone and could negatively affect someones mental health if someone dislikes a message that is significant to them. The discussions are informative or supportive and a place to vent . I dont want a 'dislike' button .

Please send a message to the Mods if you agree. Thanks

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    Options

Is anyone on this drug that is ER+ HER2- and +1? OR anyone that was ER+ and now Triple Neg but her2 +1?? If so, any success?

• ninaca
    ninaca Member Posts: 228
    Options

I am having success with Enhertu. I've been + 3 and +2 Her2 on an immunoassy test. At the moment there is no agreement as to how to evaluate +0- +3 for Her2neu. I was Her2 negative on a FISH test so Herceptin was never in the cards for me.

• missmonty
    Options

Wanted to share my week 1 experience.

Day 1 - infusion late afternoon. Felt totally normal, although sleep was a challenge, likely from the pre dose of dexamethasone. Also had a pre dose of Ondansetron

Day 2 - dull headache, mild nausea in the evening, but overall I felt fine.

Day 3 - nausea, headache, no appetite. Took an olanzapine before bed.

Day 4 - no headache but increased nausea. Took another olanzapine before bed.

Day 5 - felt the same as day 4, but nausea subsided as the day went on.

Day 6 - today woke up feeling a bit nauseous, but not too bad. Managed breakfast and coffee.

The fatigue is significant, managed with naps. I hope by tomorrow I’m feeling more like myself.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend.

• denny10
    Options

missmonty, keep a log of your side effects so you can compare them next time around. If nausea continues to be a problem try and take the anti sickness meds as soon as possible. Fatigue was a problem for me, so after 2 infusions my dosage was dropped by 20%. it has helped but I get tired very quickly, particularly during the first week. I hope you do well on this regime.

• mommacj
    mommacj Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed mbc last September with skull, multiple bones, mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes, and 1 spot in my liver. I have been on Ibrance/faslodex/Xgeva since then. I had a pet scan in March which showed a really good response in some areas but also a new liver met and bone met. We radiated the new bone met and I did a liver biopsy but I stayed on Ibrance and faslodex while we waited for biopsy results and radiation to give it a little more time. I had a follow up pet yesterday and I have 3 new liver mets. Some bones were better, some had more uptake… so Ibrance definitely didn’t work for me. I’m pretty crushed because I was really hoping to get a little time from my first line. My oncologist is recommending Enhertu because I am her2 low. 2+ in my lymph nodes and 1+ from the liver biopsy. I am really nervous because it seems that this drug is so hard to tolerate. The steroids on AC-T with my original diagnosis did not agree with me at all so I’m hoping I can use a different premed. What premeds are standard? Has any one used Enhertu as their second line and found any long term success? I know the approval is pretty recent. Are there ways to manage the side effects and preserve QOL? I love my job as a teacher and it keeps my mind busy and in a positive space so I am hoping to continue at least part time. Thank you for any tips or suggestions. Blessings to all.

• illimae
    Options

mommacj, Enhertu is my 3rd line and I’ve been on it for a year now. Early on it was tough but got better with olanzapine for vomiting (my biggest problem) but I got a dose reduction to 80% in February to manage the extreme fatigue and since then I’ve felt totally normal. I have a treated/healed bone met and had 6 (now only 3 tiny Brain Mets) with nothing new in brain or body since I’ve been on it. Scans again next week but I feel good about it.

• mommacj
    Options

illimae thank you! I am glad that it has worked so well for you and that you have found a way to manage the side effects. What premeds do they give you? Do you think it’s possible to go without the steroids and do emend and zofran? Do they give you neulasta? Im hoping to not need steroids. I didn’t like them on AC-T at all.

• illimae
    Options

they give me a zolfran and a steroid before the infusion because I have a history of severe reactions but I think many people can drop the steroids after the first dose.

• nopink2019
    Options

They not drop the steroids all together, but after my first dose steroids for reduced

• missmonty
    Options

Denny10, thanks for the suggestion and the rest of the group for continuing to share.
    So after I thought I had passed the worst potential side effect days, days 7,8,9 were brutal. Quite similar to the experience illimae shared early on on the thread. Day 9 was actually the worst day. Brutal headache and vomiting almost all day. I couldn’t even keep water down.
    I am somewhat encouraged to hear that it does get easier. I hope that’s the case for me. I will also get ahead of the nausea and vomiting quicker and worry about the constipation after.
    Yesterday and today were good days, so I have quite a bit planned for the weekend and next week, before my next treatment May 16th.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Anna

• mommacj
    Options

Thank you illimae, no pink, and denny10 for the suggestions. I hope and pray we all get or are getting good results from this treatment. I think I will definitely keep a log of my side effects because my brain and memory don’t work as well lately lol. So I will have a record for the next time. Miss Monty I’m sorry it got so difficult on days 7-9 but I’m so glad you are feeling better. I hope you have a really nice weekend. I have my first infusion Tuesday and for what ever reason this one scares the pants off me. My oncologist is starting me at 4.4 dose which is like 80% and then moving me up if I tolerate it ok. One thing I was bummed about was my onc suggested I have my last faslodex injection on Thursday so I did. If it didn’t work with the iBrance I question why I should have done that?… She said it would be the last one and maybe since I had a partial response in my bones she thought it would be helpful… I’m not sure? While the side effects aren’t terrible at all I do have a stiff neck and sore hips and butt. Oh well. I read a very encouraging statistic about Enhertu doubling PFS so I pray it works for us for a long time. I had a very short run on iBrance and faslodex… well actually no run really. How long has everyone been on Enhertu?