Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FDA Approves Enhertu for Unresectable or Pretreated HER2+ MBC

FDA Approves Enhertu for Unresectable or Pretreated Metastatic HER2-Positive Breast Cancer
January 2, 2020

On Dec. 20, 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Enhertu (chemical name: fam-trastuzumab deruxtecan-nxki) to treat people diagnosed with unresectable HER2-positive breast cancer or metastatic HER2-positive breast cancer that has been treated with two or more anti-HER2 therapies. Read more...

Comments

• AngelsGal57
    AngelsGal57 Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2020

I have been on Enhertu since Oct 22nd and will do a total of 6 rounds. So far it is easier than Kadcyla with no numbness in my hands or feet. And after round 2 I still have my hair so far. Is anyone else on this infusion therapy that I can compare notes with?

• AngelsGal57
    edited December 2020

UPDATE on my experience with ENHERTU I have just completed round #3 on this NEW treatment and so far my Platelets, red and white blood cells are all in good standing. My immune system is also in the high range. I am slowly finding hair in the sink when I brush it. I am at the midrange in my 6 rounds so I may lose all my hair just as I am finishing the next round on Dec 23, right before Christmas.

Is anyone reading my posts.

Angelsgal

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited December 2020

I'm reading your posts Angels!

• AngelsGal57
    edited January 2021

Hapa,

So glad someone is. I am the only person at the cancer treatment center of St Joseph hospital that is on this new treatment.

Would love to find others from around the country to compare notes with.

I have now completed my 4th infusion and my CA -15 markers are at 17 and my white cell count is in normal range and strong as well as red cells and platlets.

Angelsgal

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044
    edited January 2021

Angels - I don't need this right now but like Hapa, I am reading. SInce I've already had one recurrence I'm adding this to my favorites.

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2021

Hi. I was just told today I am starting Enhertu. I did the THP for 8 rounds, and had clear scans in June. Continued with HP infusions. In November, scans showed recurrence in liver and new growth in axillary and groin lymph nodes. I had just done one Kadcyla infusion last week when the oncologist scheduled me for a CT scan due to increased liver enzymes and the board decided to stop the Kadcyla for then Enhertu. I’m trying to read up on it and I’m a little scared lol. It’s funny, the oncologist seemed so surprised by the recurrence; she thought things were going well even though I was starting to experience some pains in the abdominal area. Glad to read your post so I can see what you are experiencing; it does alleviate some fear.

• AngelsGal57
    edited January 2021

JoanDavis and Hapa:

I am doing #5 of 6 treatments today of Enhertu. So glad you both are here to talk to about our experiences on this brand new treatment. I have had hair thinning but not complete hair loss that I was fearing would happen. I also have had a lack of appetite and lost 20 lbs over the 4 months as well.

Because of the radiation I had to have for bone mets in my spine I suffered the most with acid reflux and horrible indigestion because the rads went through the asophagus and trachea causing major inflammation. I was put on Prilosec which changed everything.

Thanks for joining in with me. This infusion treatment is going to bring hope to so many.

AngelsGal

• AngelsGal57
    edited January 2021

Well the day of reckoning has finally come. Even though I am only one treatment away from finishing this round, my hair is now done for. My sister in law will be coming over on Saturday to shave what is left off and I will be going back to the wig of 3 years ago. I am a bit more emotional about it this time around. It wasnt a big deal the first time, just par for the course. Didnt think it would be happening again so maybe that is the emotional side of things kicking in.

Angelsgal

• Cissy8
    Cissy8 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2021

hello gals,

It's been a while since I've been on here. Looking for some feedback regarding Enhertu. In 2013 my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer HER2+. Brain Mets since 2016, with 4 tumors and possible LM, treated with WBR and Xeloda and Tykerb (which was brutal caused kidney failure) and gamma knife. Anyway, it was successful. My mom remained "stable" for 4 years. my mothers balance as been an issue since feb. 2020, possibly due to all the treatment over the years. In July 2020 my moms had three new tumors in which she received gamma knife. The dr also started her on tuykusa and xeloda along with herceptin. Unfortunately, on New Year's Day my mom fainted and collapsed, we found out that she has another tumor that grew so quickly and big in such a short amount of time,that she needed a craniotomy. So this was her 8th tumor in the past four years. The tuykusa and xeloda combination did not work for my mom.She is starting Enhertu this week. As anyone else started enhertu? Side effects? Please give some feedback. Thanks

• AngelsGal57
    edited April 2021

My experience with ENHERTU has been extraordinary. All my blood work since beginning the treatment in September 2020 has been at NORMAL non-cancer levels. My CA-3 cancer marker test is at 9 as of last Thursday 4/22/2021. The February PET CT scan showed that I have had a complete response to this treatment. There is no cancer, where the PET CT scan in Sept 2020 showed it. My heart and lungs show no negative side effects and the fractures in my bones and spine have all completely healed with no signs of fracture or cancer. I will remain on the treatment for now to keep the cancer from coming back and have another PET scan in SEPT 2021.

I am still the only patient at St Joseph Cancer Prevention and Treatment Center in Orange CA on this drug. This may change as word gets around about my success.

So sorry for the delay in replying I have not been on the website for a while.

AngelsGal

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2021
    AngelsGal. I read your posts about Enhertu. This is the next treatment on the horizon. Kadcyla failed to stop or control bone mets. I’ve just finished rads to t7 and acetabellum. These two were pretty significant in size. I’ve had rads to different areas of spine,pelvis,femur during the past 4 years.

I am glad to read that you have managed side effects. This will be my 3rd hair loss so I’ve an an assortment of head gear. The wig was fine while I was still working but I’m retired now.

I hope you are faring well and this is working for you. I appreciated reading your first hand experience. I’m getting a bit more nervous this time since I’m older and the cumulative effects have added up. My biggest concern is WBC and platelets. I am an early recipient of HErceptin in 2006. It was a miracle for me. Be well,
    Maire
  • buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2021

Hi All, I'm probably starting Enhertu soon for my Her2 Low MBC. My MO is looking to obtain off label use for Enhertu after some clinical trial successes for Her2 Low MBC.

I've been on iv chemo (Gemcitabine / Carboplatin) for the last 6 months or so, and it's just time to move on. I've had some progression, and I'm just sick of chemo. I hope Enhertu is more tolerable and effective. I was glad to mostly keep my hair for Gem/Carbo though, so I'll be sad if I lose it on Enhertu.

It's been very helpful to read through everyone's posts so far. Special thanks to AngelsGal!

• AngelsGal57
    edited June 2021

Hi All,

I am still doing EXCELLENT on Enhertu. None of the scary heart, lung and other SE's that you read about. My lungs actually show no signs of Asthma which surprised my Doctor since I had to use my inhailer often with Kadcyla.

Next treatment #5 of 6 is this Thursday 7/17. and I will feel tired and yucky for about 3 days and then start to feel normal in about a week.

I would say give it a shot and see how you fare with this treatment. I am on it for life to keep the cancer away and it beats the alternative.

Please post your comments and questions here so that I know I am not the only one trying this out.

Angelsgal

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited June 2021

Hi Angels. It’s so helpful to read your posts. I’ll be staring July 14. I’m still trying to bounce bank from radiation. Good luck on the 17th. Keep posting. You certainly are an angel. BTW my mo says there’s more treatments after this ..not that I want to try them. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

• AngelsGal57
    edited July 2021

Hello my ENHERTU friends,

I am still doing well on this drug regime. I am wondering if since it is a targeted therapy and there is no cancer at present to target if it leaves my system quicker that if it is attacking cancer cells that are present. I seem to have 4 varying rough days with varying symptoms and then the remainder of the additional 2 weeks its just the fatigue and lack of appetite as well as hair loss.

I dont mind the hair loss anymore because I found an awesome wig salon and have purchased 2 wigs from them. I will change my picture and show you. Most people think its just a haircut and have no idea its a wig. I love that. I never have a bad hair day and even purchased a fancy wil for my son's up coming wedding on August 7th.

keep pressing on my friends,

God bless you and your families.

Angelsgal57

• bamr
    bamr Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2022

I started Enhertu on June 3 and just had my second dose. My hair is coming out pretty quickly. Was hoping I wouldn't lose it all this time, but sounds like some of you have. Darn it! The only other uncomfortable side effect for me is nausea. How are you more experienced enhertu users doing now? Did anyone shave your head? I really want to see some positive results before I do.

• lifeforalbi
    lifeforalbi Member Posts: 1

Hello there Enhertu friends,

I just started #1 yesterday and I'm interested in hearing from you all about -my biggest fear of hair loss again-lost it all in 2023. How is the nausea and neuropathy for you as well? Thanks

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,813

@lifeforalbi, welcome to Breastcancer.org! Sorry you had to find us, but glad you did!

It's completely normal to have those fears, especially after experiencing hair loss before. As for nausea and neuropathy, side effects can vary widely from person to person. If your cancer has recurred or metastasized, you may want to post your questions also on the Enhertu for Stage IV thread, where others share their experiences with this medication. Hope this helps you get more answers! Please, come back to let us know how you're doing.

Best,

The Mods