Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2020 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• dots74
    dots74 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2020
    Options

Heading to my preop appointments today. I have a very short list of questions for the doctors and anesthesiologist. I'm still working and was planning to until surgery, but I teach and the flu is so bad here. The county neighboring mine has shut school down for the remainder of the week because of so many students with flu. Just one more worry in this whole situation. With my surgery date fast approaching, I'm just wondering if I should stay home until my surgery. That brings sick days which I'm going to run out of. Any advice ladies

Just an update...appointments went great, but the doctor made the decision for me. I’m out of work until my surgery next Friday. No sense in taking the chance of getting sick and my surgery getting canceled.

• scoop
    scoop Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2020
    Options

I am scheduled for a bilateral MX on Feb 11 with immediate tissue expander placement. It's a little overwhelming to think of my boobs being gone every time I see them. I guess it helps(?) that I can easily feel the mass in my right breast,though I get a little angry at it!

Everything has happened quickly, so I am still waiting on genetic test results and even breast MRI. But I am 38 and have a history of BC on both sides of my family. I don't fancy being lopsided or uneven either, so I opted for the double.

dots74, good luck with appointments! I am not sure on the sick days thing. Can you tough it out for a few more days, being careful to wash hands a lot? Just to save a few of those sick days.

• Botgirl
    Botgirl Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi,

I'm new to this group and will be having R breast skin-saving mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy and probably tissue expander reconstructive surgery with overnight hospital stay some time in February 2020 for large DCIS-mi. They wanted it done already but am getting a second opinion from another plastic surgeon next week. My first concern is that I live alone and will have no support at home, so I don't know if I need to hire a nurse or someone when I get home and for how long? I finally was able to get a friend to pick me up the day after surgery but will have to take a cab to the hospital during the day of the surgery and don't anticipate anyone else driving me for future appointments and/or surgeries. So transportation is also a concern and the hospital was totally useless. I have Medicare and Supplement G-does anyone know if these cover nursing care and transportation for breast surgery and reconstructive surgeries?

Thanks!!!!

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi Meg5000. I wish you luck with your surgery tomorrow (Feb 6). Prayers for a good result and uneventful recovery. We will be sending you good vibes!

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

dots74, you'll have to go with your gut on your question. Do what you think is most important at this moment and it will be the right thing to do.

Update for dots74. I'm glad your doctor made the decision for you.

Hi scoop. It's frustrating to be waiting on test results. I also had genetic testing and it took almost 3 weeks for the results to come back. Oh, the waiting! Wishing you good luck with your surgery on the 11th.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hello and welcome Botgirl. Best wishes are you get yourself ready to made decisions for your treatment.

Call the hospital's social work department. A social worker could meet with you to discuss the availability of ancillary services related to your cancer treatment and be able to explain what your insurance covers.

The American Cancer Society has a transportation program called Ride to Recovery. Call 1-800-226-2345 for more information about acquiring rides to appointments. This program is run with volunteer drivers. I hope they can accommodate your needs.

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited February 2020
    Options

5 days until surgery. My anxiety is through the roof. I'm second guessing myself about my decision to go without reconstruction. I keep thinking about how my husband won't get to touch boobs again and we're only in our 30s. I figure that's a big deal for a guy. I just keep telling myself "I'm doing what I feel is right for ME."

Also stressing about the surgery itself and all the details that have to get lined up. I have four kids. Missing days of school, finding someone I trust enough to keep them overnight, planning meals, rescheduling dentist appointments, who's going to take care of the dogs...and so on. It's so much stress! And I'm supposed to limit stress. Yeah right.

• ReeaRite
    ReeaRite Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi everyone, I am scheduled for Friday, Feb 21, for lumpectomy for DCIS. I've had the pre-op with my surgeon already, took my husband, my RN friend and a page of questions. I am confident going into this; Friday means I can take the weekend off to recover before I go back to work on Monday. I already have lots of loose shirts, loose vests and cardigans to wear over the shirts. I bought a couple of bras a few sizes larger so there is room for ice pack or dressing or perhaps just a super soft piece of fabric. (the skin around the biopsy site was quite sensitive for a few weeks after the biopsy). Mu husband and two neighbors are lined up to provide whatever I need and I started filling the freezer now. I am not sure how woozy I will be when I get home, so I plan to leave soft pillows and blankies on the couches downstairs in case I'm too tired to go up. I think I will keep some of the couch throws nearby as those are really soft and I can fold those up to support me of I need. I'm double bagging frozen peas and greens for easy ice packs without the sharpness of ice cubes. I know the hospital will give me some of the chemical ones, but the veggies are easy for home and that way, I can keep the hospital packs in case I need to leave the house. Battery pack and cable for my phone so I can be wherever, and a few magazines and books I've read already so I can fall asleep at at any time. I really like the idea someone had of collecting everything into a basket - that's what I will do next. OK, Happy Competent I Can Do This face is on! Be as well as you can be everyone. Thank you everyone, your stories and posts inspire me and help keep me sane.

• dots74
    edited February 2020
    Options

scoop, sounds like we’re in a similar situation. I’m wishing you the best. I just wanted you to know that I understand your anger, as I often feel it as well. It’s as if a tiny invader is in there and I want it gone!!!

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

You are very organized and optimistic ReeaRite. You've done your homework and have readied your home and put together things you'll need. You've gathered up reinforcements for if and when you need something, and you are feeling competent and confident! That's all great. I can even see your "I can do this face" all the way from CT! lol

• deedeet405
    deedeet405 Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2020
    Options

I’m suddenly on the schedule for a bilateral mastectomy on Wednesday. Last minute prepping here. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good adjustable height bedside/ couch side table? Thank

• sashimi1973
    sashimi1973 Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi,

I just had my bilateral mastectomy on Wednesday, February 5th. They ended up taking my lymph nodes on the right side when they found cancer during the sentinel node biopsy. There was no cancer in my nodes back in October when I had my scans. I had 4 rounds of TC chemo, which so far doesn't seem to have done much. Now I'm worried that the cancer has spread beyond my lymph nodes. I am pushing for another PET scan. My surgeon was not happy that they had to take the nodes-I don't think he was expecting it. I should have the results from the pathologist when I go back for my follow up on Valentine's Day.

Things seem to be going well. My drainage has increased since being discharged, but figure that's bound to be since I was in bed most of the time in the hospital. Seems to be about the same each day I've been home, it's a bit less today than yesterday, and the color has lightened. I have two pretty close together on my right side, and my surgeon said my node one will drain more. The right breast one doesn't drain much, but figure the drainage in probably going to the lymph one. Anyone else have this? Is the lack of drainage on the right breast something to be concerned about?

I will go back and read everyone else's posts. Best of luck to everyone healing up!

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

DeeDeeT405, I'm not able to answer your question but I wanted to welcome you to the Feb 2020 surgery group. You might also want to create your own thread with that question. Wishing you all the best with your surgery. Please let us know how you make out.

Blackhawk41, I hope that you are doing well after your lumpectomy and getting rest before you have to return back to work.

Sashimi1973, I don't know if you found the answer to your question elsewhere, but I hope the drainage is going well and that you are feeling better.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi Blackhawk41. I hope you're doing well after your lumpectomy. Wishing you well.

• deedeet405
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi everyone-

I found my lump back in November. After a missed biopsy in November, and an MRI in December, I finally had my second biopsy and got my diagnosis on December 23rd. This was three weeks before I turned 40. I felt more and more uncomfortable with my team of doctors as the weeks and months went by and had to really fight because I wanted a bilateral mastectomy and my surgeon didn't think it was necessary. February 1st I was able to switch to a group of doctors that had a lot more experience and offer the DIEP procedure I really want. This week I was able to see 5 of my new doctors- primary, oncology, plastic surgery, oncological surgery, and cardiology and I loved them all. This was the best decision I could have made, and I was told over and over that it's my choice to have the double. Between my appointments yesterday, the scheduler called and told me they are holding a spot for me on Wednesday- 1st case. I'll be having a bilateral mastectomy with TE's. So after 3 months I'm finally having my surgery, but this suddenly feels very fast 😂. Trying to prepare like all of you here

• Lefty_Lucy
    Lefty_Lucy Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2020
    Options

ARmom4 - Thinking of you today. I did not have the option for immediate reconstruction, so I'm flat on one side at the moment. It has not been easy adjusting, but after about a week I've started to settle into it. I'm telling myself it's not forever. I'm in my 30s too. It's hard, and the piece with my husband is hard even though he's entirely supportive. Hope everything goes really well today. <3

DeedeeT405 - I completely relate to the feeling of waiting waiting waiting--WAIT, this is happening now?? Really glad you found docs who are a good team for you. I was really unhappy with my first surgeon and practice, and making a switch helped a lot.

sashimi1973, hope the drainage and everything else is going well! It sounds like you've been through a lot but you're keeping your chin up--good on ya.

I know I haven't replied to everyone, but I'm thinking of you all. I go for follow-up tomorrow. I'm nervous about pathology results, and also worried from what it sounds like from the plastic surgeon's office that I won't get to do reconstruction in February. But, overall, the last couple days I've been feeling much better, physically and emotionally.

Wishing you all the best outcomes and fastest healing possible.

• sashimi1973
    sashimi1973 Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2020
    Options

DeedeeT405-Best of luck tomorrow! Glad you found a team that listens to you. Luckily my surgeon is on board with whatever I want.

Lefty_Lucy-Best of luck on your follow up.

ReeaRite-You sound prepared! I found it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Hope it's the same for you. I just have to pace myself, which is hard sometimes.

ARmom4-I changed my mind several times, and eventually decided on going without reconstruction. In the end, we are much more than the sum of our parts, or a single part. Intimacy takes many forms, and my hubby says he's just glad I'm still around. I have 3 kids, and I never seemed to be prepared enough. I was really scared before surgery. And then before I knew it, I was waking up in recovery. My pain is a lot less than I thought. I have heard that pain will increase as you heal, as nerves regrow. So I'm keeping that in mind. Best of luck to you!

Meg5000-hope your surgery went well and you're not feeling too rough.

• armom4
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sashimi and LeftyLucy: Thanks for the good thoughts! I think they helped! Surgery went really well. I was freaking out (anxiety)before surgery started.They gave me something that kicked in almost immediately and I don't remember anything until I woke up after surgery. There was some nausea when I woke up but its better now. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I can get out of bed on my own and go to the bathroom. The only pain I have right now is right in the center of my chest, sort of a line down the middle. I know it'll get worse before it gets better but I know I can handle it. I can handle anything!!

I hope you're all feeling as strong as I am. Speedy recovery!

• Mamags
    Mamags Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2020
    Options

I hope everyone who has had their surgery is recovering well.

DeedeeT405, good luck with your surgery tomorrow!

LeftyLucy, I hope your appointment went well today. At times I am not sure what I am more anxious about...the surgery or the pathology report.

Strive, I have not practiced using my wedge pillow yet. I am definitely a side and belly sleeper and I don't think I would even be able to fall asleep on my back unless I had to. My husband had a serious fall 10 years ago and he broke his back, femur and pelvis. He said that when you are in pain and your body is recovering you can sleep in any position that doesn't hurt! I am trusting him and hoping that is the case. I do have a recliner I can resort to if needed.

ARmom4, glad to hear your surgery went well! I bet you are so relieved that part is over. I love your positive attitude. You can handle anything! We all can!

• Lefty_Lucy
    Lefty_Lucy Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2020
    Options

ARmom4, I'm so glad! That's a lot how mine was. You CAN do this!!

Mamags, I had plenty of anxiety for both! 🤪 As for sleeping, my wedge helped, but the pregnancy pillow suggested here was a game-changer for me. It kept me feeling snuggled and let me lean the slightest bit to one side while still laying on my back. I didn't get mine until almost a week after surgery and wish I'd had it sooner.

My pathology report was good. Huge relief. I did have some narrow margins, less than 1 mm, which makes me sort of nervous. But overall, I'm feeling so so lucky.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sounds like those who had their surgeries are doing pretty well. Thanks for coming here to share your news and updates with us. For the rest of us still waiting on our surgery day it's very reassuring to hear good news.

I'm heading out for a week vacation tomorrow. This is my last hurrah before surgery on the 26th!!! ;-) I'll check in on everyone when I get back home.

Happy healing to all.

• armom4
    edited February 2020
    Options

Post surgery day 2: Very very tired. Exhausted. For some reason, I can't sleep. I'll sleep for 10-15 minutes and wake up. Hopefully it'll be better tonight. Pain is mild but more than yesterday. Drains are easy to manage. Overall, not horrible.

• scoop
    edited February 2020
    Options

Had my bilateral MX yesterday. Pretty sore and uncomfortable today. The drains aren't much fun, but thankfully I only have two.

My surgeon tries to avoid narcotics, so i am on alternating doses of advil and tylenol, plus valium as needed for breakthrough pain. May mean it's more discomfort, but I am happy to avoid narcotics.

• dots74
    edited February 2020
    Options

so glad you are on the road to recovery scoop! I’m having a double mx on Friday and am super interested in avoiding the narcotics if possible. Would you say your pain is managed through what you are doing now?

• deedeet405
    edited February 2020
    Options

Had my bilateral mastectomy with TE's this morning. I was in my room by 1, up in a chair by 4, and walked 4 laps around 8. Doing really well on only Tylenol. My doctor put some sort of pain blockers in surgery that were supposedto last about 8 hours, so I know the pain will probably start getting worse, but so far really manageable. Supposed to go home tomorrow early afternoon. And good news- they only removed one node because it was negative!

Prayers and well-wishes to those who are next heart

• scoop
    edited February 2020
    Options

dots74, there is definitely serious discomfort but for me it is tolerable when compared to the alternative. I also had tissue expanders put in so that adds to the pain I bet.

I am not sure how I would feel on a narcotic painkiller, maybe it would still hurt. I also had some sort of nerve blocker that is supposed to wear off tomorrow so it may get worse after that.

I am hoping the pain subsides after a few days. I will keep you updated!

• deedeet405
    edited February 2020
    Options

dot74-

The pain block/ nerve block worked like a dream. I got out of surgery at noon and wasn’t really in pain until midnight. I have 4 drains. I have only taken Tylenol- accept for one. Dose of Norco at midnight so I could sleep better- didn’t want to wake up in too much pain. Hopefully home this afternoon. Good luck to yo

• dots74
    edited February 2020
    Options

DeeDee that’s amazing and really good to hear!!! Happy healing 🙂. Take care of yourself

• dots74
    edited February 2020
    Options

scoop happy healing! I am also getting expanders. I’m glad things are going so well for you. I should be about done by this time tomorrow.

• scoop
    edited February 2020
    Options

thinking of you dots74!

This is certainly an emotional rollercoaster, seeing your breasts all messed up, with the tissue expanders making them funny shapes and such. I can't wait to be past this stage.