Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited June 2021
    Options

What I'm really trying to figure out is how much is actually going on because of the virus itself or because of the fear off the virus. As awful as this sounds, its almost like reporters and those in press conferences are literally tripping over themselves to create as much fear and concern as possible, no real efforts to placate or soothe, more like rile up, like beating a hornets nest, imo. Had MO appointment today, was late appt, last of the day, the waiting room normally jammed was completely empty, in fact most the of the building was. Was "screened" twice on way up to see MO. Staying the course, ordered and have my 6th cycle early before I need it, on 7th day of 5th now. Just started my new bottle of exemestane, picking up an early refill tomorrow. Will sit tight with what I have and take it from there. MO said we may teleconference if needed with me just going to the lab to get a blood draw real quick beforehand. All any of us can do anyways. I was thinking to myself while sitting on the chair with the paper on it this afternoon, at Stage 4 they are usually telling us to go out and live our lives, now they are telling us to stay in. How much more isolated must I feel? Stage 4 cancer is hard enough add national pandemic panic on top of that and its quite a load to carry. I live in a blue state so I'm in the throngs of a state wide panic. Hubby and I even a week ago only bought a weeks worth of food, will do the same at our weekly early shopping junket tomorrow, tho going at 7am to avoid crowds and/or potential madness. If everyone would just take what they need there is plenty for all. I guess my biggest peeves about this whole mess is the hoarding, cannot find TP on the shelves here, its all on ebay being sold for hundreds of dollars a pack....bunch of jerks. Trying to keep my head through all this mess, i think the scariest part of this is watching everyone elses reaction to this virus around me, not necessarily my own or hubbys concern. Do I believe somethings going on, absolutely, but dang, you'd think it was ebola out there.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2020
    Options

RadgastRabbit - hospitals are overwhelmed. They usually operate at almost full capacity. Having a huge surge of people come in at once on top of that is impossible to handle. Many cases are middle aged. Come in unable to breathe, need nasal or mask oxygen, some within hours need intubation and ventilators. There aren't enough ICU beds or ventilators for everyone. People with heart attacks, strokes, car accidents can't get into ER because it's full of coronavirus pts.

Every doctor, RN, respiratory therapist I've talked to is terrified and stressed. It's not a media thing. It's real.

I think complacency is a way bigger problem than panic. Far too many people here not social distancing & not staying home :(

• moth
    edited March 2020
    Options

this is video footage from a hospital in Italy's hardest hit region. Btw, Italy has the 2nd highest rated healthcare system in the world. You'll see in the video they still have proper equipment. In the USA many hospitals are out of masks and face shields. People are sewing old style cloth surgical masks which are nowhere near as good but supposedly better than nothing ...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

• RhosgobelRabbit
    edited March 2020
    Options

Complacency I don't think is the issue. Everyone I know is practicing social distancing. I do not go out unless I must, hand sanitizer, washing hands etc. I do not believe corona is media created or not real. Never said it was or implied it was. What I'm questioning is the fear tactics, what does it accomplish? I practice all that CDC recommends and then what, what do I do then, be scared in isolation if i'm not scared being out and about? CDC website says 80% of deaths were among adults 65 years and older with the highest percentage of severe outcomes occurring in people 85 years and older. All you can do is what the CDC recommends to prevent spread, i follow it to protect others, but don't appreciate the scare tactics as a person at risk for infection from the media. I've lived 10 months with the fear and threat of death over my head, I don't think packing in any further fear is possible. My MO told me to be careful, so I'm doing the best I can without going mad.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2020
    Options

Rabbit, I see what you see, media types hyping the fear and spouting the most alarming factoids they can find. But I have watched some analyses by calm statisticians and doctors, and agree with moth that the problem is real. It's a mathematical thing, with cases growing exponentially. If people will stay home for a while the new cases will be more spread out and the hospitals more able to cope. And yes, I think things along the lines of, ok, I am stage iv. What if this next year of pandemic is my last year? Or what if this virus takes me out long before cancer would? Then I realize that we stage iv people are the ones who know about living with uncertainty and making today count no matter what limitations have been imposed on us. I cannot do anything about the supply of masks or many of the other problems, so I will stay home and try to encourage others by text, phone, or internet. I try not to watch the reports that try to be as alarming as possible, and instead look for reports of creative ways people are helping during the crisis: medical students providing child care and other support to front-line doctors, young people delivering groceries to high-risk neighbors, distillers making sanitizer, etc.

Oh, we posted at the same time, Rabbit.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

Rabbit - It's good that you're practicing social distancing, but not everyone is.

I would prefer not to get covid-19, but I really don't want my family to get it. I may not survive, but my family probably will. There may be long term complications. It's scary to think 40-70% of the world will be infected. Since we live in a metropolitan area, I suspect we have a higher risk. Just hoping the current trials find a good treatment plan soon.

By the way, the number of covid-19 deaths have already surpassed the number of ebola deaths. Ebola has a much higher case fatality rate than covid-19, but it has a much lower transmission rate.

• moth
    edited March 2020
    Options

In NYC they're reporting 54% of positive tests are 18-49 yrs old. Men are especially hard hit. Most will recover but some require hospitalization of a couple weeks putting large strain on hospitals.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    edited August 2020
    Options

I was going to edit my post and say I feel like Pennywise from IT has me by the jugular shouting at me "Come on! Be afraid! You taste so much better when your afraid!" ;) At least I feel like the media is like that right now. The Tim Curry version, not the new guy.

Shetland agreed, I'm doing the same. Trying to keep a balance with both the news and the uncertainty while trying to do what I can from my recliner or propped up with pillows on my bed. What you say is so true. We stage 4 ladies are acquainted with a new way of living. As I saw another person put it once, somewhere between life and death.

• Maeven
    Maeven Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2020
    Options

These are a few of the things that I gathered to help me as I need grounding.

Women in the Time of Pandemic

(Take what ideas resonate, and leave the rest behind)

1. We Women Ourselves: We take time to focus on the present moment. There will be lots of fear floating around. Here is one free mindfulness program that takes fifteen minutes a day. Some women are finding this program, and others, to help lower emotional intensity and keep personal power intact. Know that all of us women are together in this work which we are called upon, by this pandemic, to perform. We have a mission. We will accomplish it.

Link to free 40 day fifteen minute a day mindfulness exercise:. https://www.tarabrach.com/calendar/mindfulness-daily/

2.Short Relaxation and Mindfulness Strategies (Just click and listen.)

Soften and Soothe

Safe Place

Progressive Muscle Relaxation

Calm Place

Body Scan

Passive Muscle Relaxation

Compassionate check-in

Awareness of the breath

Three Minute Breathing Space

Mountain Meditation

Leaves on a Stream

23 seconds of Sound of a Singing Bowl : Click here to enjoy.

3.Buzzing Bee Exercise: Get as Comfortable as you can . Take a few deep slow breaths. Focus your attention behind your navel. Relax your shoulders. Rest your tongue gently behind the top row of your teeth. Relax your jaw and let your mouth hang open.Breathe out slowly and firmly. As you exhale, make a buzzing sound, like a bee. Extend the buzz and the exhalation as long as you can without strain or discomfort.Repeat for two to three minutes. Then stop and notice what you experience in your body.Experiment with different tones, volumes, and vibrations until you find some that feel the most comfortable. This exercise may initially result in laughter.. Enjoy the laughter.. You may try again then, or perhaps later.

Adapted from my new favorite book; My Grandmother's Hands by Reesma Menakem

4. Quick Grounding exercises when anxiety arises

Adapted from Center for Compassion

1 Slowly drink a glass of water, juice or tea

2 Count backwards from 10 to 0 or 100 to 50

3 Name six colors you see in your surroundings

4 Slowly close and open your eyes. Look around.

Pay attention to what caught your eye

5 Touch a piece of furniture and notice sensations of your

hand on the surface

6 Touch something in nature and notice the sensation of

your hand on the surface

7 Notice the temperature in the room

8 Notice 3 sounds inside and 3 sounds outside

9 Walk slowly. Pay attention to the movement in your armsand legs and how your feet are making contact with theground.

10 Push your hands against the wall or door. Release them Notice your arms and legs.Stand strongly with your back against the wall. Step away.

( I am not in stage 4 Cancer Can't go for further testing yet. I was directed here by pressing a link that was sent to me. I do however have heart and lung problems, including a questionable node on the lungs that cannot have a PET scan now. I think that some of us who have faced death feel like we have been through this Covid scare before. It feels familiar in some way. If I need to get off from this thread, I will do so, but am grateful for the time I have been with you.. I am second time around with Cancer. Endometrial and than breast (aggessive) which we are not sure where we stand because further testing has been put off for three months. Strange that something was showing up in the lungs when the oncologist said that it would be the bones, if/when it hit elsewhere.. Thank You. You are amazing women. I might be able to return to this thread in three months with the testing.. Please do not think I am weird, but I have medical complications so that if Covid doesn't get me, something like the cancer which will be slower and more drawn out will. Cleaning house now so if Covid or something else has me dying , i will not die of embarrassment. Getting those letters to the kids written.. And treasuring these precious moments. And eating more chocolate.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited March 2020
    Options

I refuse to be scared about this pandemic. The press is doing what they have always done. I listen to experts both locally and nationally for instructions and information. My concern is with the people that will not/can not follow the precautions outlined by the experts. My DS works in a bicycle shop and they are still open to the public. He said at one time yesterday there were 25 people inside the store. Some of them were children. His boss is making money and wants to continue. I am so confused about why the boss would feel good about this. He is endangering his employees and the piblic in the store

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited March 2020
    Options

and then there’s this. The beach isn’t in view, it’s on the far side of those white buildings. Our gov shutdown all public beaches in the state last night. Police will enforce. image

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited March 2020
    Options

After 2 drugs and 3 months of trying to corral MBC, for last 3 months I've been on target therapy that I can tolerate and has stabilized my mets. Just getting back to a bit of exercise and enjoying life and this virus hits. Makes me so mad that my last few months of feeling good will likely be in isolation from friends & family. My DH said the only thing worse might be to go do something and get the virus. I told hum that might not be worse at all. If my mets flare up, I'm trying to think what we could enjoy as one last adventure without putting him at too much risk.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2020
    Options

I'm sorry; I don't usually cross post, but I thought I should make these two points here on the stage iv Coronavirus thread: First, I asked my onc if with reasonable blood counts I really was immunocompromised. She replied that yes, cancer itself compromises the immune system, and treatments make it worse. Second, I watched a video by a statistics guy who made the point that the fewer people we are near, the lower our chances of catching Covid-19. Numbers matter. If, say for the sake of example, two out of five people are contagious, then if I meet five people I have two chances of catching it, but if I meet fifty people I have twenty chances of catching it. Therefore I believe delivery is safer than shopping. I do realize we can’t always avoid shopping or going out to appointments.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Everyone. I've been stage IV for seven years next month. I was on here a lot in the beginning but now busy with kids, both in elementary.

I believe it's a math thing too SP and pickup or delivery is best. Our church had more volunteers to shop than people to shop for. Don't be afraid to reach out.

I have been utilizing Jin Shin Jyustu since my first infusion of the red devil in 2013. I believe it's given me quality of life and has helped get me this far. I practice it on my children and pets too.

It's gentle touch. Can be doneanywhere. There's no side effects. Sometimes I feel better right away and sometimes it's the next day. I hope you'll give it a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUheQOjz-v4

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited March 2020
    Options

Z!!!!!!!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Spooks!

Here’s the one for lungs.

It’s Jennifer Bradley Jin Shin Jyustu in Facebook

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,079
    edited March 2020
    Options

I'll have to check out those videos. It's nice to be offered some ways of coping with coronavirus on this thread.

In some ways I feel our situation with mbc heightens the coronavirus anxiety. On the other hand, many of us are sort of well-versed on living with uncertainty. Because of mbc, many of us:

have had our life upended without much notice.

deal with sadness because of the upheaval.

had to leave jobs we liked that made us feel productive and part of the greater good.

juggle finances because of unending medical costs.

don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Now people everywhere are dealing with these and similar issues because of COVID19.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

You are so right Divine!

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2020
    Options

I admit I'm a bit rattled, which is rare for me. Probable causes: Recent progression of lung mets while a virus that attacks the respiratory system runs rampant, starting a new treatment, being sequestered, and reading articles on how hospitals may have to triage elderly patients with advanced cancer. Gulp.

Tina

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2020
    Options

Shoot. Lost my post.

Tina you are completely justified to be rattled with all this covid19. I had to quit the news for a few days. It was making me anxious. No one wants to feel like they don’t matter IF they have to go to the ER. Our doctors took an oath and when they look at our charts they will know we are fighters. We made it this far and we matter! We are here for you. We understand your fears

These are the finger holds I did before each infusion or rads. I do them in the waiting room, in the car, in bed; although I usually do the immunity hold in bed each night.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,079
    edited March 2020
    Options

Tina, I really feel for you and can understand how you feel rattled. Last year, after a long time of stability, I had progression. That alone is enough to deal with, isn’t it? Right at the same time, my husband was forced to take early retirement. That threw our hospitalization up in the air just as I was getting prescribed pricey Ibrance. I wasn’t quite sure how our finances were going to work out and on top of it all, I broke a bone in my foot needing surgery and spent the summer hobbled. So much uncertainty kept being tossed into my life, it left me rattled, too. I hope things will even out for you.

• Maeven
    Maeven Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2020
    Options

Zillsnot4me

Thank You , I really appreciate the Fingerhold Practice. I am adding it to the Family Anxiety Mitigating Practices.

I found the link to the lengthier description of the practice, but I liked yours better..

http://www.nationalcenterdvtraumamh.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Fingerhold-Practice-for-Managing-Emotions-Stress-Final.pdf

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks Maeven. It’s not mine. It belongs to Jennifer Bradley Jin Shin Jutsyu practitioner but she wants it to be shared. The kid version is simple. If you google sjs ginger holds there’s all kinds with colors and body parts it related to. Example the middle finger hold also helps the liver.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,064
    edited March 2020
    Options

Divine: I had sort of the same thought. I have MBC. My time here is an Big Uncertainty and I live daily with the thought/knowledge that it will carry me away one day. So somehow, in a weird way, I am not freaked out about getting COVID-19. Maybe it will kill me quickly instead of lingering on in hospice. Most days to be honest , I don't want the virus and I want to live a long time before hospice. What freaks me out is the hoarders taking everything and leaving the rest of us nothing. Do they really need 100 rolls of TP? Our local Safeway ran out of both flour and yeast. Are all these people planning to make bread? Not everyone had a bread maker. Do they even have a grip on the effort required to make your own bread? The store now has signs everywhere stating all customers will be limited to one item of practically anything. Bread, milk, cheese, meat, TP (if you can find it), tomato sauce, tinned fish. Will ration books from the government be next?

So far, the local independent produce places still seem to have enough to go around. I have lots of dried beans. I usually do. But there is a run on rice so my thought I will live on beans and rice is evaporating.

I hope when this appears to be a long run of staying at home etc, folks will know that there is nothing wrong with the supply chain and one can go out once a week or so to get provisions. I don't want to be in Italy -- except for the wonderful display of solidarity. The singing and clapping on their balconies.

I put this sign up on my crumbling potting shed, right where the garbage is still being collected by City of Burnaby workers. I felt it was the least I could do.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Elderberry - Nice sign! With the lockdown there are more people making bread from scratch and posting pictures. I've made bread for years without a bread maker. Sourdough is popular now that people have time to tend to their starter. The only thing my husband couldn't find at the store was eggs. We go through a lot of eggs, so I need to stretch them out. No lemon curd this week.

I spoke to my brother today. He's a pharmacist who handles meds for nursing homes, so he's not likely to be exposed. My SIL, who was diagnosed stage I BC a year before me, is a different story. She usually works in a private clinic that's now shut down. Instead she's on call at a hospital because she's a surgical nurse and knows how to intubate. She'll be handling only COVID-19 patients. She's undergoing training now. They've ordered 50 N95 masks, and my brother offered to send me a few. I declined because they need them much more than I do. I can't imagine what she's about to go through. I want everyone in the world to stay home so she can, too.

• elderberry
    edited March 2020
    Options

SerentySTAT: kudos to making your own bread all the time. I haven't used my bread maker in awhile since we have so many good, artisan bakeries in my neighbourhood. I have pressed it back into service, just doing the kneading grunt work and finishing it off in the oven. My DH and I are both retired and introverts so staying home isn't a total torture. I do miss shopping daily in my neighbourhood. I got in the habit after I retired. I didn't have to plan dinners a week in advance.

Wishing the best for the all of us.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Elderberry - I can't resist a great pastry from a local bakery. I avoid grocery and chain coffee shop pastries. They're not worth the calories. We're introverts as well, but my husband still works remotely. Technically I'm on medical leave.

Kanga - Interesting article. Glad they're not forgetting the cancer patients still requiring treatment. Think I'll start taking my temp more frequently.

• elderberry
    edited March 2020
    Options

SerenitySTAT: please thank your sister for her courage in the face of what must feel like overwhelming conditions. In Montreal you must have lots of places to score good pastries and bread. I saw on CBC Montrealers out on their balconies and such singing Leonard Cohen songs. Sorry that I don't have a hand clapping emoji.

One of the local labs (LifeLabs) that I went to has shut down until at least the end of April. I have to do blood work every three weeks. Fortunately, there is another LifeLabs a few blocks away from it so I can use my standing order there. I have my monthly H&P infusion on Friday. I live in fear (terror is more apt) that something will come up and I won't be getting them. My MO says he will only see his patients that are feeling sick or are having bad SE's. That's not me (thank you, The Powers That Be) --- but long before this pandemic, he was great at answering e-mails if you had questions or fears.

Before retirement I used to work a a travel immunization clinic. It has closed for now. The director has been seconded to CDC. It is all hands on deck.

Rabbit: You are so right about the Hoarders. As for those selling TP --- there is a law against profiteering. It was certainly used during war time. Bring it back and bust them!

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited March 2020
    Options

With all the bad news these days, I want to post my good news.

My PET on Friday showed that my lung and chest mets are responding to Faslodex better than any other TX I've ever had! Also, my liver mets are "resolved" because of the y90s I had in November and December. Best report I've had in three years.

Now, if I can just stay away from the Coronavirus. This is day 11 staying at home. Dallas County just announced that all non essential stores should close. My son is a doctor and there are few or no masks available at the hospitals he works in, it's all seems very personal now.

He's an anesthesiologist and elective surgeries have been cancelled.

I'm wondering how long this will go on.💞