Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• nowaldron
    nowaldron Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2020
    Options

So, I have my regular three-week infusion at Mass General Hospital on Monday. My appt isn't until 3 p.m.., so do you think I should call my MO or nurse before I go in? A friend of mine who is being treated at Dana Farber for colon cancer told me I should wear a mask and gloves. Any thoughts? Thanks and I hope everyone is having a relaxing and worry-free weekend!

Nancy

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited March 2020
    Options

unless you are sick a mask will not help you. i wear gloves everywhere but when i went for my infusion yesterday, they made me take them off and use hand sanitizer on my nice freshly washed hands. hand sanitizer does not kill corona virus. ugh. i would think that your hospital would have protocols in place at the door? mine did.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Don’t know how to put this but I have had a few days without news tv etc. I was admitted to the hospital not with corona but with an intestinal thing that has taken over my immune compromised body.

Here’s what I’d like to help you understand. I spent 12 hours in the ER. You cannot be admitted withou going through protocol even cancer patients . I am amazed by professionals who are facing this disease with kindness and caring for their patients under extremely stress filled days. 12 hour days. Maybe we should pay them for 8 hour days. They are exhausting themselves. These nurses, doctors, nursing assistant s show up every day. I ask myself would as a young mom of. 2 toddlers risk it. Some may say it’s the paycheck but I doubt it. You cannot be so compassionate if you don’t have a calling. They are the heroes we don’t acknowledge

The men who pick up garbage from all the rooms sep the ERs. the cleaning staff who come into my room and scrub the bathroom with Clorox and clean all the doorknobs They try to keep the patients protected.imagine coming in every day and risking you health and that of your family

I’m an old lady I’ve had a great life but I have 3 doctors who show up every day to figure this out. 2 nurse who give me meds and nursing assistants and maintainence workers I admire so much

Tonight I think of dear Lita as I as the nursing assistant to get me some diapers. I never thought I’d be here so quickly but I am. She did it with a smile as if she wasn’t running all day. Who knows when this will end. God bless all who show up every day. God help those without health care and are afraid to go to an ER . We need to better for each other. ( don’t mean this to be political. Just know there are wonderful people in this country— Maire
  • JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

Marie...you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Maeven
    Maeven Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2020
    Options

Serenity

Helpful Chart. Thank You.

• Maeven
    edited March 2020
    Options

Maire67

Thank you for this testament to those who are caring for you, and for your beauty in caring for and about them and their families.

Thank you for your care for those without health insurance too.

Your words were a great help to me tonight..

Despite the cruelty and egoism displayed by some, their is still compassion combined with competence in this tragic world of ours.

There is still loving people like yourself and those who surround you tonight.

Gratitude

Maven

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

Maeven - You're welcome! It's difficult to see that some people don't see the gravity of the pandemic. What's happening in other countries is tragic and avoidable.

My hospital announced today that they are implementing their pandemic plan. They will begin calling to cancel nonessential procedures. My CT scan is scheduled for Friday. If I don't hear from them by Thursday morning, I'll email my MO. If suspected covid-19 patients are in the waiting room, I'd prefer to stay home.

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited March 2020
    Options

Nancy, I don't think you need either. The cancer center will have protocols they want YOU to follow. If you're really worried bring some wet ones and clean off the arms of the chairs you sit in.

And yes, hand sanitizer will kill the coronavirus. Soap and water is better though.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2020
    Options

Well, this is interesting. Yesterday evening I felt maybe a fever was coming on. Then yes, I had a fever of 100 with shaking chills. In a few hours it was 103.5. Tylenol brought it down to 102 and I went to bed. No fever this morning. Sooo, I am quarantining myself, and wearing a mask outside my bedroom. I wiped down all the knobs and handles in the kitchen with bleach cleaner. I found out from the CDC web site that it may even be possible to transmit it to my kitties. If I do indeed have Covid-19. We'll see if I develop a cough. The average incubation time is five days, which is how long ago I went with a family member to the hospital's surgical ward for her lumpectomy. The following day I went to the cancer center for my shots.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited March 2020
    Options

Oh Shetland. I'm so sorry you're sick with fever regardless of what it is. Scary times for all of us here.

How happy we would be if nobody on this forum gets this awful virus. Praying for that and for you.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you, lulubee. Actually I have felt fine today. The fever was gone when I woke up. I just had a thought. I was doing some cleaning of things outside yesterday, old things, and maybe I was exposed to some pathogen and the fever was my body fighting it off.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

New Jersey is being shutdown as of 8pm tonight.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited March 2020
    Options

I'm starting to get anxious because of the length of unknown we are staring at. My mind goes to all the millions of children, many who will be hungry and unsupervised, the huge amount employees told to stay home from work and are wondering how they will make ends meet, the health care workers who are already pushed to their physical limit, the stock market free fall, the cancellation of sporting events, concerts, fund raisers, all the high school and college seniors who will be robbed of their graduation celebrations, and so on and so on.

Does our government know what it's doing? China built 2 facilities in 2 weeks to house 2500 coronavirus patients. If the U.S. had started two weeks ago, it would be ready for what is supposed to be an influx of patients. I hear there are no major national protocols in place, that each state is calling their own shots so it's a patchwork of problem solving rather than one cohesive effort across the country.

Yesterday, the ruling on holding today's Ohio primaries literally was on, then off, then on then off. Our governor is a short little dude with a lisp and thick glasses that make him look like a mosquito. He says scary things like, “Ohio probably has 100,000 cases of coronavirus. We just don't have all the testing yet."

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    edited March 2020
    Options

Divine- I am feeling your anxiety. My main concern is the lack of items in the stores. I spoke to a Wal Mart employee yesterday at our local Wal Mart. He said no milk, no eggs, no bread, no meat, no TP. I have enough at home for 1-2 weeks, but then what??? Social isolation AND starvation???!!!!! I think the Government needs to address the out of control buying at the stores. Enforce limited purchases so we all can have some. Call out the National Guard and Military Personnel if needed. Someone told me that our local Wal Mart had a line of folks waiting on the doors to open and they were pounding on the doors and yelling "Unlock the doors". They almost trampled the employee that unlocked the doors. This is getting scary.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited March 2020
    Options

Shetland. Glad you're better today but I hope you will call your MO or PCP if the fever comes back. 💞

• arolsson
    arolsson Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2020
    Options

I need a vote: Do I take treatment with Doxil on Friday or not?

Did bloodwork today, its not perfect with some liver enzymes up and my leukocytes at the bottom edge of normal. and of course my calcium is still way above normal from the bone mets.

In Stockholm we are at about 15 per 100 000 with COVID-19 and that's not including the fact that we are not testing anymore because it's so widespread that it no longer matters whether or not you were skiing in Italy last week. The real number of infections is probably much higher. But so far I am ok aside from a persistent sore throat.

So--we all know Doxil goes for the bone marrow and yes my WBC is down. That means maybe skipping a dose. But in 3 weeks things might be a lot worse, and I don't want to have skipped 2 doses....

So am I glad I am mildly leukopenic (as opposed to a high WBC indicating infection) or is taking more Doxil like jumping into shark infested waters....? and low WBC can also indicate infection...

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited March 2020
    Options

Arolsson, I am on weekly doxil, our protocol is to take labs no sooner than 24 hours prior. I will be getting mine on Friday unless my labs aren't sufficient. My hospital has new protocols in place to protect us.

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited March 2020
    Options

arolsson, are your treatments done in the hospital? Or an outpatient cancer center somewhere? My cancer center is a stand-alone building. So I feel comfortable going there for treatment. If I had to go onto the patient floors of the hospital I wouldn't be so sanguine.

The view around me is that things are going to be a lot worse in three weeks.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,741
    edited March 2020
    Options

Candy- My PT today said the best place to shop is the large Asian Markets we have- everybody is scared because they are "asian" (and set up to serve the asian community but they have obviously a completely different supply line to the major markets plus they carry everything you can imagine) and perceived as risky- so instead they all go to CostCo or Vons where the crowds there are huge and the shelves are stripped and the lines take forever - those are the places that are there biggest danger around..

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2020
    Options

Think you’re correct. Went to PCP for lbrance labs yesterday. Was deserted, some staff had been told not to come in. MA seemed to feel it’s going to be like this for 4 weeks. Have appt with MO Monday, won’t be surprised if it’s canceled.

My concern now is going for groceries. All parking lots I passed yesterday were jammed. So much for 10 ppl in a space.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited March 2020
    Options

I think that ultimately this crisis will last until either it has swept over all of us, or if we can delay it, until there is an effective vaccine. The vaccine doesn't have to work for everyone, but it must reduce transmission to the level that it effectively dies out through impairment of transmission. That requires roughly 2/3 people to be immune. Some computer modeling estimates the peak will reach the United States around June or July if it goes unchecked, and later and in lower numbers if we can successfully suppress it. Suppression (via social distancing, self isolation, closing of schools, changes in work place, isolation of the vulnerable) will have to continue until a vaccine is widely implemented, which could be approx. 18 months. So, we are in this for a while, especially if things go well and we can suppress it. If we cease suppression before there is herd immunity or widespread vaccination, it will simply re-emerge.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/...

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited March 2020
    Options

Divine and all, I was told yesterday that US military personnel have already been mobilized to build medical treatment facilities quickly. I cannot vouch for how reliable the information is but it came from someone with ties to military.

Mister Rogers said in times of trouble, look for the helpers because the helpers will always appear. It is heartening to see how Jennifer Garner and other well-known figures are organizing via Instagram to feed and nurture marginalized children. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds donated a million bucks yesterday.

Here in my area, I am blown away by how many younger people have posted on the nextdoor neighborhood app offering to do whatever they can for people who need help-- run errands, take meals, drive them to the doctor, whatever.

Watching for the helpers soothes my anxieties.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    edited March 2020
    Options

Husband11- That is what I fear. We talk about the social distancing and such measures to flatten the curve. To prevent hospitals from being overrun by COVID and running out of beds and supplies. But they talk about SLOWING the illness, not eradicating it. So... does that mean that if our efforts to flatten the curve are successful, the virus will still affect people but just more slowly. If we do not eradicate it, I (we) with compromised immune systems will be at risk for many months. And, as an at risk person, the illness could be deadly. So when will I (we) be able to resume some normalcy of life??????????

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2020
    Options

I just feel uber-blessed. It's nice (I even feel a little spoiled) to have such wise leadership over this whole crisis and to know this team is working every single day for the welfare of all our families. And whatever sacrifice we make by isolating ourselves should be well worth it to both ourselves and others. I wish the very best to all here through and to the end of this whole thing. God Bless each one

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited March 2020
    Options

thisiknow, well aren't you just the sweetest thing, popping in here with your giddy uber blessed feelings to wish those of us with metastatic/stage iv breast cancer all the very best as we deal with uncurable/terminal cancer and our compromised immune system in the wake of the coronavirus. Just so you know, this section is stage iv only. Feel free to find the stage iv/all can contribute section should you choose to comment further. I would say many hugs to you, but am practicing social distancing. I'm sure you understand.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,786
    edited March 2020
    Options

thisiknow,

I’d like to add that not all share your admiration of “wise leadership “. Political commentary is restricted to two threads which do not appear in active topics. Please contact the mods who can direct you to the appropriate threads

• Maeven
    edited March 2020
    Options

Serenity

My primary ordered a PET scan for an 8 mil node on the lung below the spot where I had cancer and radiation.

Dana Farber rightly suggested that I wait three months and have another CAT scan and proceed from there, as needed.

My Primary agreed. In the meantime my Primary has ordered a nebulizer machine and medication for another condition not cancer related.

I could not make the appointment with the pulmonologist.

I am staying home and keeping distance from husband .. 6 feet away at all times.

He goes out of the house to work..

Making the most out of these precious days..

And appreciating the people like you and those here who continue to have self compassion which extends out to others too.

I am powerless to change much now, and what I see is sometimes devastating greedy with a lack of justice and communal concern.

I also recognize and feel the beauty around me and in others around. I can better walk in a peace that certainly surpasses my understanding that mitigates the anxiety but not completely removes it. I can better feel the anxiety and let it pass through me, rather getting stuck in it all day

Serenity... Your moniker fits and emanates even in cyberspace.

Thank You

• Maeven
    edited March 2020
    Options

Shetland Pony

Feeling for you and hope you report this experience to your Doctor...

Better to have an abundance of caution and then less worry.

Keep us posted, please

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited March 2020
    Options

Candy678 - by slowing the spread of the virus it will buy us precious time. Time to treat critical patients to the fullest ability without experiencing a lack of resources, time to improve treatment techniques, time to develop and test drugs that will prevent the onset of the most serious complications of contracting the virus, and eventually time to develop and vaccinate the population before the majority of people get it.

It is entirely possible if we all work hard to interrupt the transmission of the virus. We need to put lives ahead of convenience, profit and comfort. There is much room for realistic hope, if we fully employ suppression techniques immediately. If we can get the rate of spread to diminish, the numbers of infected will fall over time.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

Maeven - Thank you for your kind words. This covid-19 is just adding insult to injury for us here. I'm glad you're able to find peace while keeping anxiety at bay.

Here's some incentive to continue physical distancing ("social distancing" does seem too antisocial). We do need to test much more, but South Korea's daily new case count is trending down. Come to think of it, it looks like my tumor marker chart. :)