Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Remember When!!

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,971
    edited June 2020
    Options

In the age before seat belts, I remember playing 'astronaut' in the car. I'd lie on the floor in the passenger's side with my feet on the front seat, and would pretend I was blasting off into space as my dad drove down the bumpy, unpaved country roads. (I can't remember if my mom knew about this.....probably not!)

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited June 2020
    Options

Remember riding in the back of a pickup truck? Talk about lack of safety!!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2020
    Options

sitting on the tailgate, which was down (my brother got a concussion when he fell off the back end, I remember my mom making him stay awake all night, and the he missed a whole summer of baseball because of it. He was so mad!)

• ruthbru
    edited June 2020
    Options

• ceanna
    edited June 2020
    Options

ruthbru, I can relate to that!!! I still reuse plastic containers for leftovers, and it still sometimes surprises me what's in them, even though I filled them!!!

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited June 2020
    Options

Oh, so true!!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    edited June 2020
    Options

Funny - I never gave up real butter for a 'spread', but I do re-use cottage cheese & sour cream containers regularly.

• ceanna
    edited June 2020
    Options

MinusTwo, you reminded me of when we were all told butter was bad and hydrogenated margarine was good! Never liked margarine so I'm glad butter is okay again!!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2020
    Options

Remember these fun ways to pass the time?

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020
    Options

ruthbru...loved those, especially the loom! I made my Mom so many pot holders!

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited June 2020
    Options

Ruth, I remember Pick-Up Sticks and Old Maid. Thanks for the reminder.

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

My Dad would play Pick-up Sticks with us for hours. Thanks for the happy memories.

• ceanna
    edited June 2020
    Options

Looming potholders!!! Wow!! I probably made hundreds!! We could change the size and shape of loom so tried all sorts of weird shaped pads, coasters, and even doll blankets!!

• grammamuses
    grammamuses Member Posts: 2,103
    edited June 2020
    Options

Remember embroidered pillow cases and dish towels?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yep! Still have the ones I did as a kid!

• ceanna
    edited June 2020
    Options

Anyone know how to tat?? I have hankies with tatted edges from one of my grandmothers. Who uses real hankies anymore???!!!

• grammamuses
    grammamuses Member Posts: 2,103
    edited June 2020
    Options

Real hankies? No, but I have about 10 from 60 years ago and I am going to make masks from those. Yes, one of them has tatted edges . Don't ask me why I saved them, I have no idea.

• spookiesmom
    edited June 2020
    Options

Tried to learn once. Had to have 2 thingys looked like knitting needles together somehow. Too complicated for me. It’s a dead, dieing art. Maybe YouTube

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited June 2020
    Options

Gramma, I know why I have saved the fancy hankies I have--my grandmother created the fancy edging and they are associated with good memories. Also, they were my backup plan when the facial tissue shortage occurred. I was able to get some tissues just in time before we had to resort to the hankies!

• ceanna
    edited June 2020
    Options

I did learn how to tat using a shuttle (not the needle kind like I think Spookiesmom is mentioning) a long time ago and once made a very small bookmark. I still have my grandmother's tatting shuttle and may have to try again. In just looking online for tatting, I see I have a lot to (re)learn about tatting--I couldn't read any of the abbreviations used in the directions!! I did find a lot of lovely examples and will try to post a couple below. Funny how we keep the hankies for the memories--but they might have come in handy if tissues had disappeared.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2020
    Options

Here are some more ways we entertained ourselves.

• spookiesmom
    edited June 2020
    Options

An aunt had roller binds on the windows with a ring on a string to pull with. The ring thing had needlework around it. Was it tatted? I was fascinated with the rings, probably about 6-7 years old.

• spookiesmom
    edited June 2020
    Options

Ah geeze, I’m sorry. Just occurred to me what I was referring to with 2 needles is hair pin lace, not tatting. Still another dieing art.

• ceanna
    edited June 2020
    Options

Spookiesmom, That ring pull might have been tatted, or could easily have been crocheted. Crocheting over a ring is pretty easy and that's how a lot of old suncatchers were made.

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

My grandma had those ring pulls. I think they were crocheted. I had one that I pretended was a life preserver for my Ginny doll.