Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Options

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,770
    Options

I hope your dd is fine! I did a tiny bit of digging and every county I checked in CA stresses the importance of confidentiality with respect to mandated disease reporting. We’re very careful about this in my school. For instance, if someone in another first grade class has strep,my colleague might mention it to me but not divulge the students name.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

She says she is, but I don’t think I want to see her this weekend. When I was driving school bus, we had the same type rules. A child is sick, don’t know with what, or who. Usually managed to find out on the rumor mill

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,137
    Options

flashlight, just reading about your grandson made me feel like crying. I am so sorry he had to experience that. I hope things go better. Good lesson, that even with the best planning, things don’t always run smoothly. Hopefully he will see his teacher coming back even stronger, showing the students an important life lesson, that when things go wrong, it makes us work harder to get it right.

My second day was a complete turn around, much better. I am determined to make this work and not let my fear get between me and my students. I was reminded of why I got into this job, because I love children!

Spookiesmom, I’m shocked about the police officer. I would love to know what the thought behind it is, exposing someone who is positive to the students and staff! The student coming to my school may not be positive just because someone in his/her house is positive. The police officer IS positive! I don’t understand that

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

Mavericksmom, So glad you had a good day at school!! Thinking of you!!

There isn't enough information about the police officer to make a comment. We don't know if he felt ill and called off sick, or was exposed by a wife, friend, collegue and then was tested or quarantined. We don't know if he has another job. The only thing we do know is that he was wearing a mask and seemed to be following the guidelines to protect others. When I worked in the hospital you didn't know who had HIV unless you were doing direct care. When you saw the isolation sign you knew it was MRSA, VRE, c-diff, or a super bug. We used universal precautions for every patient.

I live near a college town and drove down the main street yesterday. The Univ of Delaware students were walking around without mask.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Thanks, flashlight! Funny because we really did need a flashlight the other night. For whatever reason our power goes out now every time we get a storm! We have above ground wires, but they have been trimming branches and removing trees near the wires for years now. Anyway, that always adds some drama to all the stress! I do thank you for your comments!

Tuesday will be first day with students. I am actually looking forward to seeing the students, but expect many glitches and have a "go with the flow" attitude.

My biggest concern is still Covid! Why are so many people so against masks and being safe? Why did this get political?

I honestly don't care what political view someone has. What I don't understand is why so many won't wear masks, or, won't wear them correctly! I am talking about the adults, students begin on Tues! If the mask doesn't cover the nose, it isn't on right! In addition, many at work aren't being honest. I found out from a friend that a co-worker has posted many pictures of herself recently at the shore bars, in crowds, close to many others, without a mask! Another came back from Florida and even though the district policy is to quarantine for two weeks, he didn't. It is soooo true, we have to act as if EVERYONE we come in contact with is positive for Covid.

College kids think they are immune, will either be asymptomatic or won't get it bad. That is why they are seen in huge groups without masks. Reality is they are wrong, not to mention that they can spread it to others who aren't young or are young and at risk! There was a young 39 year old man, no health issues, who died of Covid in my county. I am really hoping that my county numbers will remain low and my school district will have low Covid cases. (and that one won't be me!!!) We were told with contact tracing only those who are near a positive person for 15 mins or more, closer than 6 feet, will be notified.

My belief is that my county isn't really as low as stated. My county's head of the health dept is an idiot and again, politics not health, has been pushing him to go in the direction that is politically best for him. I don't think he understands that Covid doesn't care what party one is affiliated with!

I am most sad because I have no idea when I will be able to see and hug my grandchildren again. I am assuming not until next summer at the earliest. I hope I don't catch the disease.

Who knew life would get this difficult and unsafe?

• mavericksmom
    Options

Update, we only started having students, half a grade level, one grade at a time, come in for one day of orientation and already have had 2 positive Covid students and one teacher! Yep, I can’t wait for the hybrid to begin in October. That is when we will get half the students in four grades for in person learning four days a week. I think it is going to be a disaster on many levels. I guess only time will tell

• MMinNC
    MMinNC Member Posts: 10
    Options

Our middle school started back full time in late August. (The families could make a personal choice- virtual, or full time in the building.) So far the school has had one teacher and one student who were diagnosed with COVID19. I have been using sick leave since the beginning of the school year. I needed to heal up from surgery, then start radiation therapy for five weeks. (Burn, baby, burn! Disco inferno!) It's a long drive to the cancer center every weekday, and I didn't want to juggle that along with lesson plans, trainings, classroom setup, etc. I had 30 years of sick leave saved up, so I decided to use it!

I'm worried about returning to work at the end of October. Teachers are responsible for wiping down the students' desks after every class. The students are supposed to be 6' apart, but from what I understand, they've got them crowded into my classroom, so they are definitely closer than 6'! (What the school puts on paper and what happens in real life are two different things sometimes!) Chemo squelched my cancer, but I've still got to have an infusion of Herceptin and Perjeta every 21 days until March 2021. My WBC count is lower now than it was during chemo! (Now I'm not on the steroids, Neulasta injector, or other stuff that I think kept my wbc count boosted.) My sick leave will definitely run out before March, so it's not like I can stay out until then. (I've got four more years until I can retire, so...)

On a different note, did any of you see the recent study they did in Israel concerning COVID19 and cancer patients undergoing chemo? It was a small study, but the results were promising!

• mavericksmom
    Options

MMinNC, I would stay out as long as possible as you are still going through treatments. My daughter puts pressure on me to quit, I understand where she is coming from, but retirement now, even though I qualify, would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. At my age, getting another job after Covid is under control is not realistic. I am keeping to my plan to work this year and next and then retire. I am trying my best to stay Covid free. I just came back from grocery shopping. I was at the store at 7:00 AM, few people, both customers and employees. Relaxing, under the circumstances, but this is my new normal.

I am concerned about the start of the hybrid plan, half the students coming back, but I am moving ahead. It isn't great, but it's what is best for my husband and I. I have to look past Covid and think of what our future would hold if I retired now. I refuse to live my life in fear and I can honestly say, so far, going to work in the school does not cause me anxiety or fear anymore. My principal told us to think of everyone we come in contact with as being positive. Other than that, it is out of my hands.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

3 elementary schools here have already had to close for a month because of COVID cases in the school building and go to online learning again.

The middle and high schools are are staggering in slowly to in person but imagine there will be more shutting down soon here.

We stay put in our home.

• spookiesmom
    Options

There has been 50 some confirmed cases in all of my county. A few busses, and people not close to kids. None have been shut down. At DDs school the SRO was positive. At my older GS school there was 1 confirmed. He is at home, doing on line. Our idiot governor Ron desantis just completely opened up FloriDuh

• mavericksmom
    Options

I just got another call from work that another student tested positive in my building. I fully expect the calls to keepcoming until people get fed up with the calls. As long as they have enough staff, schools will stay open. I don’t think any amount of positive cases will prevent starting the Hybrid in October. The cases we had so far were from orientation when half a grade level from one grade at a time came into the school for one day of learning the new rules.

We still supposedly have low numbers in my county, but that may or may not be true as they stopped testing as many people and keep changing the rules for political reasons. I don’t know what or who to believe. Very sad that it has come to this.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

My school district continues to have no date for in person instruction, hybrid or otherwise. On each campus they have started distance learning support groups. These are cohorts of 12 students who may be having internet connection problems or noisy households where distance learning is difficult . They are on campus for 3 hours each morning. Our extended day after school program has been open on one site but they will open a few more soon. I think they want to see how those programs go before moving ahead

• mavericksmom
    Options

So, now, once again, I find myself on the edge of a cliff. I just completed the second week of the hybrid where half of the students come in two days a week and the fifth day is all on line. I go in the building all five days. It is actually going much better than I expected, but the risk is there and all the employees know it. We have had several students who tested positive, but so far, they don't appear to have spread it to others in school. What scares me even more is that we had a student who was very ill, high fever and vomiting, and the parents refused to have their child tested! I am not sure what the district told the parents or what they can do. I also don't know if the child is back in school or not as I don't know who the child is.

My fear now is that my school is set to bring all the students back into the building the first week in November. Supposedly the superintendent will give his recommendation to the school board at the end of this coming week. The school board will vote on it the last week in October. Everyone at work is anxious and on edge. Many faulty and staff have no choice but to work. I have choices and in my mind I draw the line when it comes to "all in." That scares me to death! The experts are predicting increase in cases as the cold weather arrives. My feeling is to stay in hybrid for the rest of this year and re-evaluate in January. To me, that makes the most sense. I am not sure the school board or superintendent agrees.

I never felt this much stress even when I battled breast cancer both times combined! Between the enormous uncertainty at work and the elections in the USA, I feel stressed to the max! I have a follow up appointment for breast cancer in mid November and normally I would just be worried about the appointment. Now I wonder if the country will be in such chaos that I won't even be able to keep the appointment? I just received my ballot in the mail today! At least I can vote, but as for my job, I have no say in the decision of going back all in or staying in hybrid.

My thoughts are with everyone who is working in a school or hospital/medical facility/first responder job and everyone who lives in the USA! I am trying to stay positive, and hope things don't get so much worse before it gets better. It is hard enough for people who face cancer during this time, let alone dealing with a pandemic! For those of us who live in the USA, lets hope that our country does not end up in chaos! I am struggling, but trying to stay positive about all of it. I guess like they say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best! I am taking it one day at a time, but even that is extremely difficult!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,948
    Options

Our middle & high school have been on a hybrid plan, which has actually worked out better than expected. North Dakota is on the top of the list of new cases per capita and the School Board has decided to send everyone back full-time. The teachers have been told to "be creative" to find ways to social distance. WTF! I guess I won't sub at all this year, and my active teacher friends are beside themselves.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,948
    Options

• MMinNC
    MMinNC Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hallelujah, Brad Johnson via ruthbru! If that was the teacher eval, or even part of the eval, it would be a miracle! (But wait...What data do we have to support that? Let's pay an outside group to assess the idea, wait for their findings, then... Huh? What were you saying?)

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

We are aiming to go to a hybrid model in early January. Details are sketchy but it will on be grades TK, K , and 1, which would include me.

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    Options

Our district has done hybrid for the last month. It’s a disaster to say the least. Kids every other day M-Th, all distance learning on Fridays. Teachers teaching in person plus managing students logging in online multiple times a day (both the hybrid “off” kids and full distance kids). Teachers are stressed and overwhelmed. That’s not even including the positive cases we’ve had in each school, some of which have closed entire classrooms for 1-2 weeks at a time because either too many people in the room were exposed/“close contact” or there isn’t enough staff to staff the room because a teacher is out. Subs are almost impossible to come by. This just isn’t sustainable.

• flashlight
    Options

ajminn3 . You are right!! My daughter teaches in PA. I think there is so much frustration and no one really knows what they are really asking teachers to do because it has never been done before. It is way too much. I really blame the state governors and the so called health officials making these impossible rules. Parents are angry, they don't have any understanding on how hard this is and children are suffering. In Delaware they started the hybrid program, but for virtual learning parents have to sign up for an on line learning academy. You can imagine how many parents are upset over that. It is a mess!! My younger daughter, who works in health care, is just recovering from Covid. She was ill for about 3-days with flu like symptoms and that was it. She is back to work. Good luck to you!

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

flashlight, you make a good point in noting thatsince this situation is new, no one is really sure what to do. Our TK-grade 1 students are returning in January in some form, which has yet to be determined. One thing that teachers, myself included, have made clear is that we cannot be distance learning teachers and in person teachers simultaneously. The option of distance learning will be made available to all families for those who choose. Currently the district says about 50% of parents and teachers are comfortable returning to the classroom. I am willing to return to the classroom, with precautions in place, but can’t imagine doing distance teaching to part of the class. The distance learning students would get the short end of the stick. IMO, those who wish to remain in distance learning need to have a dedicated teacher, not one who is also trying to teach an in person class.

• flashlight
    Options

exbrnxgrl , You are right!! Unfortunately my daughter has to do both in PA and she has Special Ed math students who have English as their 2nd language. She is responsible for cleaning/disinfecting. Too much. Glad you are hanging in there!!

• mavericksmom
    Options

I just got word that "all in" won't start on November 2nd. The superintendent is going to let us know later this week what the new plan is.

I am relieved but saw disturbing things at school yesterday. They are dismissing the walkers and those who are being picked up by their parents,10 mins before the end of the school day. The students were clustering in large groups outside, and taking off their masks! The principal was frantically yelling at them to put their masks back on. This was all in front of the line up of cars with parents waiting to pick up their child/children!

I don't know what the solution is, other than to make reasonable choices and take one day at a time! We can only do so much!

• spookiesmom
    Options

When I picked up my grands, a teacher would call the kids names over the pa to come out. They were in the building until called. So none of the swarms of kids. This was years ago. The kids knew they had to hustle as that car line was long.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Spookiesmom, I wish my school would do that! Our school is large, even with hybrid there are 500-600 students in school.

On a very non- covid topic, what kind of dog is your spookie? I am guessing Maltese? Soooo cute. I assume good with your grandkids? I am looking to get a dog but not anytime soon. I am still in the research phase. Happy

• spookiesmom
    Options

Yes she is Maltese. She will be 11 on Halloween. My previous dog was a standard Australian Shepherd at 60#. Great, smart dogs, but I needed a smaller dog. The Maltese are very high maintenance and good with older kids. They can get hurt if dropped. Miniature poodle are a good idea too. More sturdy still high coat maintenance nice size. I can talk dog all day😂😂😂.

That’s about my DDs school size. Idk what it is this year, but when I was picking up grands, the bus riders went out one door to 4-5 busses. Walkers out another door, car riders stayed inside till called.

The older one is in 10th grade, is going back to in class next week. Younger is in 7 th May go back to in class.

There is 114 schools in my district/county. Not counting private, charter, or religious schools. Doubt any are at full capacity.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Spookiesmom, thanks for the dog information. I too could talk dog all day!Happy

I went to a specialist today, non-breast cancer related, and the office ladies were all talking about how horrible their children's learning is. The nurse asked me how I was, if I was around anyone who tested positive for Covid, and I told her "not that I know of, but I work in a school." She then asked what I thought about the hybrid learning and I told her that the hybrid is actually working much better than I expected. She responded that I was the first one to say that! Yikes!

There is no sugar coating it, we all think Covid sucks! That said, I do see very positive signs with highbrid. For one, class size. I wish we always had no more than 16 students in a class! I can give more individual attention with small classes than with the normal size of 35. Again, I am not the teacher, but an aide who helps with learning support, primarily for special education, but I help all students in the class. The students seem to be starting to "come alive" in class. No time is wasted telling everyone to quiet down or saying almost non-stop, " go back to the lesson, we aren't playing games now!" Normally up to half the class time can be distracted with disciplinary actions. Many complain about the chomebooks/iPads but much of our normal learning is electronic. Nothing changed there!

Holding Hybrid to a normal standard is ludicrous. It is like apples to oranges. But, like I said, if you look for positives you will see them! Not ideal, but not horrible either.

I have a great deal of empathy for parents, most of whom are working either in the home of out. They are all expected to do their job AND help their children navigate cyber school too! They are overwhelmed for sure. I tell friends and family in this situation, to remember how new this is. Let your children see how to handle challenges in life with a strong positive attitude. It does absolutely no good to blame or complain and it really doesn't make the child feel good if all he/she hears is the parents complaints.

Parents seem to think that lowering expectations during this time of Covid is the worst thing ever. It isn't. For one thing, like I previously mentioned, in a normal classroom setting, the kids get talkative, they aren't focused, they don't do their homework etc. That is the majority and I don't live in a low income area! The students who succeed in the normal setting, will succeed during the strange hybrid model. I know the effects are not as bad on most students as many say. I actually expect Covid to be a major excuse as to why a child isn't doing well in the future. Right now, having "all in school" would have horrible consequences. I for one would not work in the school, I am too high of a risk. Even hybrid has negatives, but it is the safest for now and will get better!

The thing is to all work together, to stop focusing on what we can't do and concentrate on what we can do!

Like battling breast cancer, this is not a time for negativity or blame, it is a time to do all we can to make things work the best we can while cutting ourselves some slack if we aren't living up to our "perfect" expectations.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

Totally agree! As the parent of 2 teachers who are both required to IN THE SCHOOL for those who have their kids in there and not doing online learning they are both terrified. Son and DIL who is a cancer nurse says no way will they let their own kids in there though and the grands are doing online learning. Daughter even though lives in a small town in Wyoming says 2 cases in her small town at the school. She is not certain desks are cleaned right so she goes in early and does them herself. She now also has to prepare online lessons on top of of regular lessons to teach those who are in quarantine now. Her husband is high risk and because of where they live people are sent by ambulance miles and miles away when in medical crisis already.

Both are praying for all the schools to just do online learning until this over so everyone can just stay safe.

We just keep trying to encourage the kids and grands along the way and tell them we miss them when we get to speak with them. Who knows when we can see them again.

• spookiesmom
    Options

DD is pulling her hair out!! Was announced in media anybody who wanted to come back to in class could. Her school, older GS school, all ok Younger GS hasn’t heard a peep. She calls administration. Must wait for call from his school. Called school. Nobody knew about that.

He’s online there, so to me, he has a seat. She doesn’t know what to do, and she teaches in this district. FloriDuh.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

spookie,

I feel for your dd and family. My district is looking at January to begin bringing TK- 1 back on a limited basis. I represented the first grade team at my site during a district meeting to try to figure out how to do it. Still too many questions and few concrete answers, but that’s just the nature of what the pandemic has wrought. I am miserable doing distance teaching. For the sake of my sanity I need to teach live children. Since I’m not on any immune suppressive meds my mo thinks I’m not at greater risk than the average 64 year old.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Our Superintendent just made his recommendations for moving forward. NO ALL IN until end of November, at the earliest. When or if, we go to all in, they are starting with the elementary schools first for the following reasons. 1. Class sizes are smaller 2) The class stays together all day and does not mix with other student expect for bus riders and they will continue to try to space them out on busses. They will also make added guidelines for parental pick ups to ease the traffic congestion. 3) This is the population they feel is at greatest risk of problems with on line learning. 4) The students eat in their class room and the desks are more distanced due to smaller class size.

They do not want to bring back all middle school or high school until they are sure the Covid numbers are for our community are very low. The reasons, 1) Older students do not stay in the same classes and the classes are larger. 2) Many socialize with groups outside of school and are not distancing themselves. 3) Distancing in class and hall is next to impossible with everyone in for the older grades. We always had crowded halls and our in school capacity is aprox 1,200 plus for middle schools, 3,000-5,000 for the high school. 4) Lunch room also would have no distancing, cafeterias are crowded. 5) older students are tech savvy and are less hurt by on line learning.

I feel better just knowing that they are being thoughtful with their plan. As of now, the earlies my school would go back to all in is the middle to of January.

They are waiting to start any all in until after Thanksgiving because they don't know what will happen in our community due to college kids returning home and family gatherings. Nothing is final. The school board votes this week, but the new plan take into account that community numbers will be constantly considered and they will always be revising the plan.

Again, this makes sense to me, so I am pleased with it. I am still concerned dealing with students even in hybrid, one student gave me a big hug last week, which should NOT ever be done now, but it happened so fast I couldn't stop him. He has disabilities and just reacted. It was a one time thing, but I can't help but think that it didn't make me sick this time, but could another time so now I need to be aware of yet another issue to try to avoid!

We can only do the best we can! One day at a time!