Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

November 2020 Surgery Group

Options
124»

Comments

• rmayfair2011
    rmayfair2011 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2020
    Options

Just an update that my surgery went well. My surgeon did a wonderful job, and I am mostly healed up now. I was totally knocked out which I was nervous about but it went really well. Not terrible for my first ever surgery! I only took about half of the pain meds they gave me and was back to dancing (carefully) the next week. Did my arm exercises like they told me and have full range of motion, just the occasional bit of healing pain.

The sentinel node was take, that was fun to pee blue for a bit with the dye they put in lol. They did find a micro tumor there and also a lot of lymphatic action where my tumor was removed. So I am now getting ready for chemo and radiation. I was really hoping to avoid the chemo part. I just had the port installed today, having this thing freaks me out a tad. But better than extra IV pokes, I know. Just wanted to update. Hope everyone is doing well and healing fast! 💓

• Onealdr3
    Onealdr3 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2020
    Options

ello everyone,

I am glad that I have this group of remarkable women to share with and to support each other. My surgery was on Nov 20th and everything went well. Healing nicely but because of the residual tumor I will have to resume chemo. Not the news I was hoping for but I can do this. I hope that everyone has a safe and blessed Christmas.

• Couponqueen
    Couponqueen Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020
    Options

Leerose,

Just wondered how you made out with your lumpectomy with oncoplasty. I am at the decision making time and my surgeon has indicated I am a good candidate for it and am just making up my mind on it. There is not a lot of information on it so I would love to hear your comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited December 2020
    Options

Welcome, Couponqueen! We hope you find this to be a supportive place. We know the decision making process can be difficult, but our community is here to help with their guidance and shared experiences.

The Mods

• leerose
    leerose Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021
    Options

I am so sorry that I never replied to your post. I have to say I've been on a treadmill since my surgery. It went very well - it was a long day, but the pathology ultimately showed clean margins, no lymph nodes. I just finished five weeks of radiation. Following surgery, I had the drains in longer than expected - about 2 1/2 weeks. I've been please with how the reconstruction turned out - other than the multiple scars, they look pretty good. I got a breast lift and reduction out of the deal, so I guess that is not bad. Now, following radiation, the radiated breast is very red and sore, but no blistering or flaking. I've been using cera ve religiously and zeasorb lotion under the breast. My one complaint is that I can only tolerate silky fabrics touching that breast - everything else feels like burlap against my skin. So far, I'm happy with my surgical decision. Good luck with whatever you did/will choose.

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited March 2021
    Options

hello ladies,

I am having a UMX on April 12 and wondering how you all felt about a month after surgery? We have the chance to fly south for a quick 3 day weekend May 14. I'm expecting the drains to be out be then. I have had 3 c sections and recovery was great, but I was younger then....any tips/tricks that helped you? Thanks!

Julie

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited March 2021
    Options

Juju-mar - I had single mastectomy with expander and it took me 3-4 weeks to feel better, but I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. I took pain meds for about 10 days, Tylenol to help,with discomfort. Got my drain out after 2 weeks. Most of my discomfort after I got drains was from expander.

I had 2 C-sections and bounced back quickly as well. But I'm in my mid-60s now and was dealing with chemo side effects, so it was a challenge for me.

What does your PS recommend

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited April 2021
    Options

thank you Nsbrown54, I am going flat. But am having the PS do a lymphovenous bypass. I meet with him this Friday. Someone told me the drains come out when the output is less than 30ml. Breast surgeon told me to expect one drain for a full week, she didn't know how long the second drain could stay in. I did develop a seroma with the lumpectomy in October 2020. How are you feeling this many months out of surgery?

Julie

• cardplayer
    edited April 2021
    Options

Juju-Mar - I had mastectomy Nov 19 and exchange surgery March 2. Bounced back within a couple of days from exchange surgery, although I still dealing with somelimited range of motion in my arm from sentinel node biopsy. Sorry you developed complications from your lumpectomy. I hope next surgery goes well.

• JanetM
    JanetM Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2021
    Options

I had my double mastectomy on November 19th. It was supposed to be immediate reconstruction with DIEP flap but the flaps failed during surgery so I ended up with expanders. I had some post op complications drains were in for almost a month and then I had a seroma that had to be drained twice. I just had some fat grafting done prior to even being able to start filling the expanders. I am recovering from the fat grafting which is more painful than I anticipated. I am now scheduled for my first fill on 4/27. It's going to be a while before my exchange surgery.

• JanetM
    edited September 2021
    Options

Finally scheduled for exchange surgery on 9/24. Hoping all goes as planned.

• JanetM
    edited November 2021
    Options

just checking in on all my November 2020 surgery friends. Hope you are all doing well.

• cardplayer
    edited November 2021
    Options

JanetM - I hope your exchange surgery went well. Im1 year out and doing well. I have prophylactic mastectomy scheduled for left breast 12/9.

• JanetM
    edited November 2021
    Options

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I still need to have some more fat grafting done and to have a hernia repaired in the area where they took the flaps that failed.