Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Birads 4c after normal screening mammogram

Options

Comments

• lannama
    lannama Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello

I wish you much luck, and sending prayers your way.

I also had a not so great holiday season. I am scheduled for a biopsy on 1/5. Also had a Birad 4c on my Ultrasound. This is my second time around, and praying it is not a recurrence.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,615
    Options

tnnsd, I will share my experiences with care I've had from both UCSD and Scripps.

I have received care at both. In the 1990s, I was going to UCSD for specialized eye care. I needed a neuro-ophthalmologist and chose to go there. I don't remember my exact reasons for choosing there, but I was very happy with my care. Since UCSD is a teaching hospital, I usually had the residents come in to look at me, as I have a vey unique condition with my optic nerve. I was quite "unusual", or so they told me and was a textbook case, but rarely seen.

When I was diagnosed the first time with cancer, I had been going to Scripps already, so that's where I had my surgery and chemo. Again, I was very happy with my care. Both my PCP and MO have retired since then, so both my current MO and PCP are newer. I like them very much and am confident in their care and decisions. I have three oncologists: Medical (MO), Radiation (RO) and Orthopedic (OO). I see the MO most often and usually message the OO if I have any special questions.

There is another user "IntoLight" who is also lives here in the San Diego area. I'm not sure where she is getting her care, but I'm sure you could ask her for her opinion.

Do you like you current PCP? That matters a lot, I think.

I'll look forward to tracking your progress.

Carol

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi lannama

Thank you for your kind words. No doubt It really sucks this holidays for us both. I will be praying for us too. xoxo

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Sunshine99 for your response.

I do like my PCP, as she seems to try hard to push things along for me and also told me she had a lumpectomy herself few year ago; I think she understands how worried I am.

I hope to be able to build the trust with my BC doctors at Scripps once I meet them next week (except my MO as I won’t meet her until 01/26).

Again thank you so much for taking your time to help with inputs for me during this time.

• tntnsd
    Options

I met my surgeon and radiologist. They helped me to understand my pathology report more, and also possible treatment options.

I am having MRI tomorrow to see if there is anything else we missed in the ultrasound-guided biopsy on 12/29; I am praying that they will not find something else; and praying that it will stay DCIS stage 0 all the way after final result from surgery; so that no chemo. Once we have MRI, I will need to see surgeon to go over my options in more details. Question is how do we know if we should seek second opinion? Because we not comfortable with the options doctor give or if we worry that they might miss something ? I can’t image the later, but maybe I am wrong to not worry ?

Also will MRI ever be denied by insurance ? I am asking because I have PPO, the scheduler for MRI said they were waiting for mri authorization , but since we want to move fast, we went ahead schedule one; we can’t see any reason why insurance will deny mri at this point, but again this is new for me, I don’t know for sure neither.

Did anyone (49-50 years old, healthy ) recover well with mastectomy without reconstruction ? Can you get back working (just office-computer type of work) in 3 or 4 weeks ?

Any tips to keep minds not going crazy until surgery? How to say goodbye to part of your body ?

thanks

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

Second opinion.... it really is a question of how you feel about the doctor and the recommended treatment plan. It also depends on whether it's a complicated diagnosis with different treatment options or a more simple diagnosis. If you are happy with the plan and the doctor, there is no need for a second opinion. But if you aren't happy, or if you would just would feel more confident finding out if a different doctor would recommend that same thing, then go for the second opinion.

I'm in Canada so I don't know about insurance and the MRI, but I would expect that since you have the cancer diagnosis, it would not be a problem.

I had a MX with expander placement when I was 49. I was walking outside within 48 hours of my surgery. I could have returned to work in 3-4 weeks, if it was a desk job. You do need to be careful about movements that stress the incision for 6 weeks, and that will impact how quickly you can drive - I think I was back to driving at around 3 weeks but I couldn't back-up - the head movement required for that strained my chest. So I remember that I only parked in spaces where I could drive straight in and then drive straight out. Having said that, everyone is different. Most people don't have excessive pain from a MX, and are up and around quite quickly, but some have more pain and take longer to recover. So until you have the surgery, you won't know how your body reacts.

Good luck with the MRI. Hopefully the only surprises are good ones.

• tntnsd
    Options

Thank you Beesie, especially warning about the movement stress on incision for 6 weeks. Will definitely try to remember that (about back-up when driving too, I hope the rear camera for back up can help with that).

As always, very appreciate any encouragement and experience sharing tip to deal with this.

Despite any obstacles, may the the new year bring health, joy, peace to you and your loved ones. Xox

• lille
    lille Member Posts: 20
    Options

I am sorry you find yourself here, I imagine a number of your questions have been answered. Regarding the MRI I do not see a reason that they would deny it. It is a common standard of care and there should not be an issue with insurance so long as the pre-authorization is in their system. My pre-auth was there within 2 business days so I know that process can also move quickly. Like you, 2020 has been /a year/ as I was diagnosed with DCIS in June.I thought some of the same things. Like...What The Hell...and How Am I Going To Do This, I need to work. And like so many others I realized it is by one foot in front of the other. In the end I consider myself lucky as though having for me, a bilateral mastectomy is lucky! At least after I was in the process and did more research. Also, work survived without me, my coworker went a little nuts and things were and are extraordinarily busy but I agree with your husband. Take care of yourself first

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

I agree with the others on MRI likely authorizing though that depends on the insurance company - some are better than others and some decide to take stands at times I've least expected. With reasonable things like this though they have paid in the end. I agree too on the second opinion - I got one b/c my first meeting with a surgeon was with a general surgeon. I first got biopsy path results at that appointment and knew nothing about anything he presented or even his experience operating on breasts. So I got a second opinion still planning on returning to the general surgeon until I saw how seamless a breast care clinic that incorporates breast surgeons, radiation and medical oncologists, genetics counselors, etc. all specializing in breast care and cancer.... They also happened to be where two of my scleroderma docs are which helped with coordination of care, etc. So I stayed with my second opinion.

Beesie is sooo right on the driving aspects. If you go mastectomy you will likely have a least one drain? I had two drains in both sides b/c I was larger busted. I was able to drive much sooner than I read others were able (discomfort) though could feel the pulling and some pressure for a bit. I actually had two drains removed after the first week and had to drive myself home (4 hours) from that appointment b/c I would not have had anyone to drive me back there to get my car, esp. b/c of COVID again. It was really uncomfortable and not the safest - prior to me doing that my surgeon said you are not supposed to drive with drains and yet she is aware people do - auto insurance may not cover accidents....

As far as work.... I'm working from home now due to COVID and that helped me return to work sooner than I would have otherwise. With a BMX my surgeon told me I should be able to return to work after about a week....????? Though she was aware I was working from home and I only work half-time or a little less at that time, less than half-time now... B/c I cannot afford to NOT work for an entire week (I'm self-employed- no vacation or sick time) I did work a few hours after about three days and maybe 2 or 3 the next day. Then I was back to about 4 hours with 1/2 hour breaks after every hour or so by a week after surgery. You'll have to see what your employer is ok with too if you plan on going back to work sooner than later... hopefully they will be supportive. I "sit for a living." Writing and typing were more difficult the first week though not too much so.... the pulling of the drains did not help that and may have been the bigger issue?

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Lille and LivinLife. It means a lot to me to hear and learn from you wonderful ladies who had been there, understand and reach out to share your experience, input. It is hard to share the worry of your own health with families who used to see you as the most strong, and go-to person when there is issue.

• tntnsd
    Options

My BS called today with the MRI result, it shows no abnormality on my right breast, but she said left breast masses total is about 6cm; I still can't believe that. I am freaking out again.

She also said I am more candidate for mastectomy than lumpectomy/radiation due the lumps size and breast size. To me, mastectomy without reconstruction is ok; however I am extremely worry that my diagnosis seems to get toward invasive. Of course until now, they have not had any evidence that it extends to lymph nodes yet, but I can't help to imagine the worse. Can 6cm tumors stay DCIS ? I am really really scared.

Not sure how I can stay calm when it is time to tell my kids and extended families, as my husband and I decided to wait until we have our treatment, surgery ready, no point to get everyone worried with the uncertainty and we have to calm them too. Am I making right decision to keep my BC news from families/friends until then ?

Options

Because DCIS is confined to the milk ducts, and milk ducts spread throughout the breast, DCIS is actually more likely to cover a large area of the breast vs. IDC. That said, the larger the area of DCIS, the greater the chance that some IDC might have started to form. I had two areas of high grade DCIS totalling over 7cm in size. I also had a 1mm microinvasion of IDC.

The question on the MRI is whether you have an area of non-mass enhancement that is 6cm in size, or whether it is enhancement of a mass. Non-mass enhancement is more likely to be DCIS or even a high risk and/or fibrocystic condition.

I can't comment on the family issue. We are all different and handle these things differently, and you know what's best for you.

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Beesie, I truly appreciate your helping me to come to understand my diagnosis. I will see my doctor next week, hopefully to know more about my MRI report. Also try to schedule genetic counseling soon too. Feel like I don’t need second opinion (comfortable enough with how it goes with my doctors and their care). Will it be a point we feel we have this sort ofbehind us, and look back as a difficult time/memory ?

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Tnnsd - sometimes the MRI can show a larger area of concern than what will be found surgically. It happened to me but I had very dense breast tissue. Going into surgery, they were anticipating mass around 2.5cm, final pathology had mass at 1.3cm although I did "upgrade" from DCIS to IDC. Hoping that your mass will be smaller than imaging and that you don't have any invasive component at all.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

I started out with a small area on 3D mammogram, then on diagnostic mammogram about 3 cm then 5 cm on MRI. As Beesie said can occur the MRI included an area of non-mass enhancement. Upon final surgery pathology that ended up being just over 3+ cm of benign and precancerous stuff. They expected to find IDC though every thing remained DCIS. People have certainly had those experiences of Rah and Beesie as well where some IDC is found.... I hope yours turns out to remain DCIS!!!

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Rah2464, and LivinLife for sharing your experience and helping me during this time. It means a lot to me. I am praying that it will not get worse from this point on. I am accepting mastectomy without recon without much struggling; but I am scarred of it is in fact IDC, and prolonged, constant worry for myself and people around me

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Hi tnnsd,

I will say that in general the fear is worse than the reality. I had IDC and I wouldn't say I'm in constant worry.

It is very tough to be in the position of incomplete information coming in by drip and drab. Which will continue at least until after the pathology after your surgery is complete. I would say, try not to focus on the possible outcomes, because they are too unknown. Try to focus on getting yourself through this time now, and trust that future you will deal with whatever the outcome is. I know it's easier said than done, but you know yourself best so think about what works for you. Is it time with friends? Is it video games? Is it cooking? Exercising? Do you have access to therapy and meds to help take the edge off?

Bite this thing off a day at a time. Hang in there. Heart

Hoping for a simple DCIS diagnosis for you.

• tntnsd
    Options

Thank you Salamandra for your encouraging words. I am trying my best to keep busy during the day with work, exercise and normal routine. It is much harder at night when my mind keep wandering with thoughts that I can’t seem to escape. My PCP did prescribe some sleeping medication to help me sleep but i don’t want to depend on it to get through every night. I am beating myself for feeling this way as I know many people been there, survived this with much worse condition or support.:(

• everythingwillbefine
    Options

Hi tnnsd,

I was diagnosed for DCIS 10cm on my left breast on MRI in July 2020 and after surgery my stage remained as pure DCIS 7cm.

Hope yours is the same. Good luck

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Everythingwillbefine,

Thank you for sharing your diagnosis. I need to hear that today badly. How is your recovery after August last year diagnosis and treatment ?

• everythingwillbefine
    Options

hi tnnsd,

I had mastectomy and I recovered very quickly. I stayed in hospital for a night and left on the 2nd day. I was out for a walk on the 5th day. I was able to drive after 10 days although on my mastectomy side was a little stiff. I could have return to work on the 3rd week but I decided to take a longer break to enjoy the time with my children.

I had 2 drains and they were out in a week.

You will be fine. Take deep breath. I was in your shoe and worried sick before the surgery.

Remember to ask the doctor who knock you to sleep to give you an ear patch to prevent nausea after you wake up.

Good luck

• lille
    lille Member Posts: 20
    Options

tnnsd: I get how you feel, it can be difficult to look around at what others here and in life are dealing with and feel bad about “feeling bad for yourself“ I am guilty of it on occasion but I wanted to pass along some words of wisdom. Someone elses’ suffering does not negate your own nor does it invalidate how you are feeling. You have every right to allow yourself to run the gamut and not feel guilty. Your experience is your own. Also in regards to your prescription for meds to help you, whether to sleep, to pick your mood up or calm anxiety ...my GP shared this, “You don’t get a medal for toughing it out. If you need help, it’s ok.

Pulling for you.

• tntnsd
    Options

thank you for your response Everythingwillbefine, your assurance about the recovery somewhat help me at ease more in preparing for what come next month or so. Thank you from bottom of my heart

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Lille,

Thank you for your caring advice . I will keep in mind the words of wisdom you just passed along. I hope I can learn to be easy on myself soon.

• tntnsd
    Options

I got my surgery date scheduled for first week of February. Mastectomy without recon. Hopefully I will have my genetic testing result back end of next week, and praying that it will be alright. If not, I don't know if I can handle bilateral mastectomy at this time. :((

I really wanted to get this treated and feel that I can trust my doctors' recommendation so far. I am nervous with what showing on MRI (6cmintense, nonmasslike enhancement throughout the upper breast, with particularly intense abnormal enhancement within the upper outer quadrant) and that my final pathology after surgery will be invasive instead of DCIS. The only thing that seems to be good from the MRI is that it does not show any suspicious in lymph nodes area. Am I jumping the guns here ? Imagine the worst ?

I just also sent email to my boss, my boss' boss and my BFF at work todayto let them know about diagnosis and leave of absence soon. Thankfully, I have a very supportive, family-oriented boss, who is so understanding (I work for him almost 15 years). They are the first people I told other than my husband, I need them know before planning upcoming projects.I was crying reading their concern response emails to the news. Not sure how I am gonna manage myself to break the news to family and friends in person !!!

I read many many post in Surgery-related forums, but if you have any, any tips to help ease anxiety during the time before surgery or how to best help the family to deal with it, please please share. I appreciate very much.

Options

Glad it went well at work today!

To my understanding, non-mass-like enhancement is much more likely to be DCIS. I believe that "intense" may refer to the speed of uptake, which usually is fast with invasive cancer but can also be fast with DCIS. So to my amateur reading of this, there is nothing that signals invasive cancer rather than DCIS.

With a large area of DCIS, might there be one or two spots where a small amount of invasive cancer has broken through the ducts? Yes, that's possible - I had that one microinvasion, as an example. But I think if you had a significant amount if invasive cancer, it would show up as an enhancing mass, not non-mass-like enhancement. Just my guess, and hopefully I'm right!

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

t-so sorry but you’ll do great!! As impossible as it may seem right now, if you can find some sort of distraction, it will help. I feel like that’s why I am reaching out to you to share my experience. If you’re a sports fan maybe I can at least make you smile for a second and you don’t have to think about it!!

I didn’t find this wonderful informative and supportive site until after surgery. I joined when I was going into radiation. I and many of my loved ones, friends, and co workers are huge Eagles fans. Diagnosed in December, going to appointments and biopsies while knowing we’re going to the playoffs, can’t be anywhere near a hospital on a game day, etc. it really helped. Extreme stuff. I ended up on the Ben Franklin Parkway at a Super Bowl parade padded up a week post op. It was glorious!! Cancer be damned!! I knew it wasn’t going to beat me, at least not then. I stillworry some now, but you can do this. Sucks! Sorry, but remember to keep you head up. There just might be a trophy in your future.

Best wishes to you.

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Beesie

I wish that I can meet and thank you in person somehow, as you always reach out and try to help calm me. I will donate to this site, just express my thanks to those like you who helps other women on this path.

I understand your guess/ amateur reading (love that term), will keep that in mind going to sleep tonight ... instead of fearing the bad.

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi ctmbsikia,

Thank you very much for your help and tip on distracting if we are sport fans like you and your family / friends. Wish that there is soccer world cup/ games going on seriously, that would help to take my and husband's mind off all this:))

I am into comedy, I can watch some TV comedy series at night, until tired and fall asleep. At day, it is hard not to think about it whenever we have free time; and we do have too much free time now in California where all attractions close, and not travel advisory due to covid.

Oh well, I will take your advice, try to keep my head up, not only for me, but also for my loved ones too.

Thank you

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,615
    Options

Hey tntnsd, I'm glad you have your surgery date scheduled. I had mine (the first cancer) the day after we threw our big annual Christmas party. It was a good distraction leading up to that day.

One thing I remember about the surgery was sobbing as I came out of the anesthesia. I wasn't hurting or upset, and I remember saying, "I don't know why I'm crying." It was weird, but maybe that's how I react to the drugs. I did tell them to pump me full of anti-nausea drugs because I do get very nauseated with general anesthesia. I can handle pain, but I HATE nausea.