Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Birads 4c after normal screening mammogram

Options

Comments

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi Sunshine99,

I thought that my surgery not until at least 2nd or 3rd week of February, but it turns out since no recon, it is much more easy to schedule for me. I am glad that it isn’t that far, but scared too because it is now so real. Wish that I can have some sort distraction leading to the surgery like you did.

I am pretty sure I will cry a lot after surgery. I tend to cry when watching an emotional movie, when I can’t argue, or even when someone show pity, concern for me in person. I have not found a way to control my emotion yet.

Thank you for reminding me about the nausea. Like you, I am not afraid of the pain (gave births naturally for all my girls), but I don’t like the feeling for nausea. Will ask for that.

Praying every night for health, strength to all of us women who had, have to be on this path.

xox

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

Glad you have your surgery date! It will be here and over with before you know it. The ear patch may help the nausea though stress your concern about nausea to the anesthesiologist when in the waiting area before going into surgery. I did given how nauseous I get after surgery. She was able to give me prednisone and something else during surgery that kept nausea to nearly zero from recovery on.... Low doses b/c I cannot tolerate steroids either though with all the other drugs mixed in during the operation (5 1/2 hours long) I had no side effects of the steroids.... Wishing you the best though I'm sure you'll be chiming in before then and likely I'll respond a time or two as well : )

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks LivinLife,

I will definitely stress about nausea as you mentioned before going into surgery (hope to remember that). My surgery will be outpatient, and I will probably go home the same day. I will try to be proactive against any side effects as possible.

How is the sleep after surgery? Before all this, I was a easy sleeper (whole night, rarely waked up), but now I am lucky if I can sleep 2-3 hours straight. Wake up so often, and hard to fall back sleep. I think it took a toll on my weight (lose 3 lbs last 2 weeks). I eat normally though. I have ambien low dose; some night it helps, some night it does not. That also scares me too, Do you lose weight before surgery? Did you regain most your strength and weight after that ?

This community is so far my comfort zone, to know I am not alone, and to learn so much from all of you. Can’t express my thanks enough!!

• everythingwillbefine
    Options

hi tn,

Do you have a recliner at home?

I slept on the recliner for the 1st month, it really helped me day and night.

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Everythingwillbefine,

Unfortunately I don’t have a recliner at home and don’t really have space for it (I would have rented one if I had room :(( ). I did order some wedge pillows that someone suggested on this board; hopefully they will help.

Thanks

• lille
    lille Member Posts: 20
    Options

I didn’t have space for a recliner either. I bought a zero gravity chair (on summer sale at the time!) and slept in that for quite some time however I had a bilateral mastectomy with TE placement. Have a wedge as well though I find them awkward, personal preference. The first few days you will likely sleep along with a majority of the first week as I remember. My sleep soothed out, wasn’t perfect but I was also dealing with TE’s which meant I had to sleep on my back for months. Ugh! Just Ugh!

As for how to help with the nausea. My breast surgeon had me carb load the night before and day of surgery with Ensure Pre-Surgery Clear Carbohydrate Drink. You can buy them on Amazon or Walmart. There are a couple of pre-surgery clear drinks from other brands as well. I drank two the night before I went to bed, one at 10pm and one at 11pm. She also had me drink one in the morning before surgery, just had to be two hours prior. Not all surgeons allow a drink before surgery. So for my exchange I drank three the night before, spaced out an hour each, and none on the day of. I had absolutely no nausea for either surgery. They did give also me a 24 hour anti-nausea patch behind the ear. You can also ask for an anti-nausea script to be filled before surgery. All of my scripts were filled beforehand with the exception of the painkiller. That had to be filled same day coming home and I tasked my boyfriend with picking it up after dropping me at home.

You mentioned how to help with family before surgery. Try tasking them with specific tasks. People often like helping but they aren’t sure how so be specific. Can they be assigned days/nights to make meals? This doesn’t have to be family, it can be friends brining over a meal for your family. Who’s going to feed/cleanup after the animals if you have any (or kids). Who can be on call to pick you up and take you to the doctor or go out and get a script filled. What other weekly things around the home might need to be taken care of and so forth. It’s as much to give your mind something to do and feel in control by having a plan.

• mikamika
    mikamika Member Posts: 242
    Options

My surgeon gave me prescription for rectal suppositories, that successfully treated nausea when I came home.

• LivinLife
    Options

You asked about sleep... I could not sleep in a recliner b/c mine is manual and I could not lift or lower the foot part by myself. Bed, pillows or not, was not going to work for me either. I came up with what sounds really uncomfortable though really wasn't. Before my drains were removed I basically slouched down from a seated position on the couch with my legs and feet over an ottoman. I had the recliner pulled up so I could also extend one of my legs into that seat if I needed to shift. Once my drains removed (two 8 days after surgery and the other two 2 weeks after surgery) I basically used that same method though could also sleep on my side. That was pretty clunky. Soon after I was able to stretch out onto the couch. I toss and turn a lot normally - there was a 5 pound weight limit the first 6 weeks. The time I tried going to bed I found I was exceeding that limit turning myself over, and over and over so soon just went back out to the couch where I used my abs and legs to shift positions. I also found myself shifting less on the couch than in bed. I actually slept pretty well that way though needed about 10 hours sleep for the first 5 weeks for sure. I've continued needing that though I believe that is about something else going on and not related to the surgery. I hope to get some answers to that at an appointment on Monday....

As far as weight gain or loss... I eat pretty healthy - some junk food here and there though generally pretty healthy. I kept that up soon after surgery too. Problem is I do have a real weakness of junk food and just don't have it in the house. A friend of mine came in from WI to help me for two weeks after my surgery. She brought a months worth of junk food. I did pretty well until she left me with so much of it when she returned home lol Of course I finished it. So I did gain a few pounds the 2 months after surgery though I also did not exercise the first five weeks after surgery either, other than the stretches recommended. At week 5 I began some lower body isometrics. the next week I added upper body with 3 pound weights, then a month later added to upper and lower body. A month or so ago I also added many yoga postures for stretching, balance and strength building. I've lost about 4 pounds. I'm not thin (average weight) though I'm quite lean....

I wish you well!!!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Lille, Mikika, LivinLife,

Thank you very much for sharing what worked and did not work for you through surgery. It is a great comfort to hear and learn from those had been there. It’s weird that sometime I think God had a way to prepare me for this - no I am not angry at God for putting me through this - I consider myself quite healthy, especially for last several years, I am hiking 5-6 days/week, subconsciously to me it seems my body is pushed to prepare to face this.

I am a side sleeper and left side is my favorite, so I know I will have a hard time to sleep on my back after surgery.

Again thank you for all your helps. I have a wonderful husband, but it is not easy to stress him more with my constant worry, planning for what is next. You gals are my godsend at the moment truly.

• tntnsd
    Options

I have the result of genetic test today for the first set of highest risk gene mutations (BRCA1/2, CHEK2, ATM, PALB2..); they are all negative. Whew!
    This is at least make me smile, less worry about passing this to my girls or having to warn my siblings about their elevated risks. They still wait for another set of genes, but the one that with highest risks are good; at least I know I can keep the good breast for now.

I am still worry about the surgery next week, it will be early in the morning, and they said I would be home around 2pm. I can’t imagine yet how to sit still for the recovery!

PS : my husband and I decided to rent a recliner and put in our space-limited bedroom.

• everythingwillbefine
    Options

Tn,

I am glad you rented a recliner. You won't be regret!

Good luck with the surgery. go back home on the same day is a little chanllenge, ask the doctor see if you can at least stay till the evening. Also going home the car ride could be chanllenge. Be prepared to drive very slow.

You will be fine!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Everythingwillbefine,

It is my husband who pushes and make room for recliner in bedroom for me. I'm sure it will help.

About going home the same day; my surgeon and nurses all said most patients wish to go home the same day now with simple mastectomy or lumpectomy; and they rarely have any issue. I am sure they are trying to reassure me about that, but truly with covid and no family member can be with us in the hospital; I'd rather to be home and rest.

Thank you for letting me know about the car ride. it is a short ride about 20 mins between my home and hospital. Feel lucky compare to many many people have to travel far to get treatment and all.

I hope you are doing well. If you don't mind may I ask how do you feel now that you are about 6 months since you were first diagnosed ? Do you have some sense of regain control back your life or not think about this all day ?

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Are you having a lumpectomy? I was home by mid-afternoon, and didn't really have any pain. I think I took a pain pill at night the first few nights in case I slept wrong and started hurting. The hospital sent me home in a snug, rigid bra to wear for 48 hours, then I changed into a firm sports bra that I wore for three weeks straight (well, not the same one! 😳) except for showering. I didn't have drains, and I slept just fine in the bed. My surgery was on the left, and I slept on my right side. I stuck a rolled-up child's sock between my breasts to keep gravity from shifting the left one around. I also stuck a pillow against my back to keep me from turning. I went out to lunch with friends two days after surgery and could have done it sooner. The breast incision didn't hurt at all, but the sentinel node one was kind of annoying - not painful, just a kind of rug-burn feeling. I've had tooth extractions that were much worse.

• LivinLife
    Options

Happy for you with main round of genetic testing results being fine..... Best with surgery!!!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Alice,

I will be having mastectomy on the left (without recon). I am not a good candidate for lumpectomy due the the size of tumor and my breast; besides I hope to avoid radiation if possible. Right now I am praying that SNB will be all right, no IDC found., have a clear margin ;otherwise the surgeon said I might need to come for more lymph nodes removal. That part is what I am worrying to drag out my recovery and worry my family more.

Look liked you had a easy time to recover with your lumpectomy even though with annoying SNB. May I ask silly questions? We’re you able to lift your right arm normal after surgery? Or they both have under minimal lift restrictions

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Livinlife,

Yes I got the 2nd set of genes (lower risks) back too, and they are negative too. I am thankful for that, so relieved that I almost choked up on the phone with the genetic counselor.

Thank you for your best wishes on surgery. Like many of you ladies, I am looking forward to one day looking back and feel like this is something behind us, not constantly think or worry about it anymore, and able to share and help others

• LivinLife
    Options

So glad the remaining genetics results came back fine too tntnsd! I'm putting the positive energy out there for you that indeed this will be behind you at some point in the future... For now it's about following the plan one step at a time... that will also be enough to focus on in the near future....

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks LivinLife, I appreciate very much your compassion to listen and share what’s you been through with many of us.

I am learning or trying to look at thing one step at a time, but it is hard when you are always the planner :)

I hope by this time next week, I can be more relaxed resting at home after the surgery, watching tv and reading books... instead of worrying about about the outcome.

Hope you have a nice, peaceful evening

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,096
    Options

tnt - no, I expect they will tell you do NOT lift your arm any higher than your shoulder - even if you can. You should prepare by moving things to lower shelves. You'll get exercises like "wall walking".

When you get a chance, please do go to "my profile" and fill in your diagnosis & treatment plans to date. That makes it easier for everyone to remember & answer your questions.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

I had a UMX, and I had no restrictions put on my 'good' arm. That said, you do need to be careful to not strain your chest, which could happen even using the opposite arm. So certainly you will be able to do more with your non-surgery side arm than with the cancer-side arm, but you will still need to take care and impose some restrictions on yourself.

The thing to remember with any movements is that you have a lot of stitches, internal and external, and you don't want to do anything to strain those stitches or cause them to split. I read somewhere that it takes 6 weeks of healing for skin that's been cut to regain 90% of the original strength, and that's the reason for these restrictions we face.

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi MinusTwo

Yes I will fill in diagnosis and treatment after I have my final pathology report post surgery. Right now the biopsy report said extended DCIS on the left breast only, the right breast is clear on both mammogram and mri. I don’t have the status of receptors neither . I asked, but doctors said it will be in final pathology report.

Thank you for reminding me about moving things to lower shelves, and “wall walking” exercise

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Beesie

I will remember your advice about going easy on the non-surgery arm to avoid damage the stitches. I am so used to be independent and do most heavy lifting myself, it will be a big change for me. I will need constant remind myself of that.

• LivinLife
    Options

You may want to ask your surgeon's office though they had me doing arm raises out to the side NOT going above my shoulder and arm raises in front NOT going above my shoulder. You want to do something like this to keep or regain range of motion vs. losing it. I started these within a couple days after surgery. They had me do a few other things too though I had a BMX so.... Did they not give you any handouts of such stretching for range of motion? I developed cording on both sides and had I not been doing something like this I cannot imagine.... it's more for ROM though.... Best.....

• tntnsd
    Options

My surgeon did mention about not raising the arm above shoulder in our consultation appointment; there’s no handouts or pamphlets about stretching exercise I can do with my arms post surgery. I am supposed I can ask for that now before my surgery next Tuesday. Thank you for letting me know about it.

• tntnsd
    Options

I just had my UMX today. Surgery at 8am, went home by 1pm. So far I am dealing ok with the pain (just took 2 Tylenol pills). A little sore, and tired, but I am happy that this surgery was over. They took 3 sentinel lymph nodes, they are all negative, so that is my good news. I cross my fingers to hope no surprise with final pathology (properly will have that early next week before my post op appointment with surgeon).

I did ask the anesthesia doctor for something to help my nausea. She gave me the patch. However, for some reason, I still threw up a bit (with just water) first thing I got home. Not sure if it was the car drive or I drank too much water because of dry throat.

The recliner we rented is a big big help for me to rest. Thank you all who suggested I should get one😌.

And by the way, Aetna rejected to pay for my MRI; their reason, we already established that I was diagnosed with this disease/cancer/condition: mri would not need to confirm that. I will contact my doctor to see if she can help with that. Or I will appeal myself in few days. I hate to do that. I almost max out my out of pocket when paying for that mri. They will need to pay for whatever hospital bill left this year. It will not save me anything this year if they reverse their decision about mri; but I hate that, I just need to tell them they were so wrong to deny such required MRI for us going through this

• LivinLife
    Options

Glad you're recovering well so far tntnsd!!! Also glad you felt well enough to post so soon after surgery!!!! Happy you were able to get that recliner and it was helpful! Stinks about the MRI - I hear you on the principle part of the appeal even if it doesn't change the out of pocket costs for you.... I tell you my MRI showed a much larger area than the diagnostic mammogram did - another biopsy would've been recommended if I had decided on lumpectomy. B/c I was going BMX the additional biopsy was not necessary. Had I gone lumpectomy I would have needed the additional biopsy to see if lumpectomy was really appropriate. Don't know if any of that helps for you appeal....? Take good care of you while you recover, ok?

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

I'm happy your surgery is behind you and hope the recovery is as smooth as possible. That's frustrating about your insurance. But if your surgeon ordered it, I hope it's just a coding error that can be corrected - I've heard they happen a little too frequently.

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Alice, LivinLife for your well wishes.
    Yes I will appeal to see where it goes. This is not the first time my husband and I had to argue with insurance. I had to get HR/Benefit involved in my case before. I had to go to ER for a miscarriage about 17 year ago. My insurance refused a major portion of the bills, citing it it was treated by physicians out of network (I did went to the in network hospital. Insurance paid for hospital just fine., but for the physician who looked after me that day, insurance billed me as out of network. I appealed and get HR involved , reason how did I know if physican is out of network when I went for in network hospital for ER ? Insurance ended up have to bill me only my copay for in network (10% instead of 20 or 30 % or something).

Same with my husband, he had to fight insurance about the bill he received for some medical service few year ago. We won at the end too, but just hate the time to put into it; and mad that they're so greedy and sneaky. If we don't appeal or always accept whatever insurance tell you, many people continue to get screwed by insurance (and I know a few people ended up paying more since they either have a language bar or don't know how to argue for rheir right).

Anyhow, wish you all have a good day. Be safe and healthy.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

tntnsd, glad to hear that your surgery is done and you are doing well!

Fingers crossed that there are no surprises from the pathology report!

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks Beesie, yes the pain is not too bad, I think we women able to tolerate pain really good, and since I chose not to have recon, it is easier for me than other ladies who went with recon and/or having go through BMX. So far I won’t have any regret; and I will not look back with all the “what ifs”.

I am so thankful that I able to go home and rest almost whole day yesterday. Seeing my girls able to focus on their study; instead of themworrying about me if I stayed at hospital is a plus.

Fingers cross for the final pathology report. Then I will be able to update my diagnosis more accurate; and who knows I might be able to help out those who find themselves looking for helps 9n this board just like I did and found all your ladies since last Dec.

Thank you!