Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo February 2021

Options

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hello everyone; it's another new week! I hope you all are doing well and tolerating your treatment. Today was kind of a down day for me; I feel extraordinarily tired for some reason... just kind of dragging around and feeling sad. I was hoping that my pity parties were pretty much done but I still get 'em occasionally. This exhaustion is a new one, though.

So tomorrow is Taxol #10 for me... how time flies when you're having fun, huh?? Hang in there and check in when you can to let us know how it's going.

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2021
    Options

hellooo....

After 4 ac and one taxol, I am feeling short winded more than usual,anyone else having a similar experience? I walk to my mailbox and come back panting...not sure if it is chemo or allergies....hope all is manageable with you all...sorry Lw422 about your down day...ur entitled ,just remember tomorrow is a new day..hope it gets better

• JN5000
    JN5000 Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi AB45. So I've had one Taxol so far, too. I got it 5 days ago. It has really exhausted me -- yesterday I slept on and off all day after sleeping in til 10:30. I was just so sleepy. The day before I was tired, but not as tired. Today I have improved quite a bit. I weeded a little bit outside, but I could only weed for a few minutes, then I'd have to sit down on the steps for a few minutes, catch my breath, then weed again. Maybe after AC, Taxol is harder. I'm surprised. I get next Taxol this Thursday (once a week, low dose), so I'll let you know how it goes. Please keep me posted. I will discuss the fatigue with my MO on Thursday for sure. I was so tired yesterday I couldn't hold my arms up to use my phone. But -- today is better. Maybe all of my day 4's are going to be like that -- I have no idea.

LW422 I'm sorry about your down day, too. I'm glad you're done with #10. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by what a difficult and all-consuming upheaval this is, too. It's like an alternate universe.

Keep going!!!! We'll make it.

Jennie

• Jvfireball
    Jvfireball Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2021
    Options

Good Morning All,

A new week and I wanted to encourage everyone for all that we each have coming up this week. Treatments, between treatments all of it.

I will be having my last TC treatment on Wednesday and then a few weeks off and the 5 weeks of Radiation. Blessing to you all.

Have a great one!

Cheers

Julie

• Jvfireball
    Jvfireball Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2021
    Options

LW422, so sorry for the down day...I get it....remember you are not alone!!!!

AB45, sorry your are spent...hopefully as the AC gets a little further in the rear view mirror it will let up some and the Taxol won't be as harsh.

Jennie, hoping your Taxols get easier too! Hang in there!

Thoughts and prayers to you all

Julie

• lw422
    edited April 2021
    Options

AB45--sorry you're feeling short-winded. I haven't had a problem with that but I have read that others do. I think it's temporary so hang in there. I notice that you don't have your diagnosis or info attached to your posts, so I hope you won't mind if I ask what your diagnosis is? Have you had surgery yet or will you be having it? I apologize if you don't want to share that stuff.

Hey Jennie. I think it's pretty common to have days where we just feel tired. How is your lumpectomy healing? Did you have any numbness under your arm from the lymph node removal? I won't have surgery until I finish with chemo so I'm dreading that. It does seem like we fell into an episode of The Twilight Zone, doesn't it? Where did our normal lives go?? Take care and hang in there.

Hiya, Julie. Thanks for the encouragement; I know we can all use it. How great that you just have ONE more treatment! Yahoo! How are your surgical wounds healing? Have you had any issues with healing or the reconstruction? We'll all have to keep tabs on each other as we travel beyond chemo; I'm kind of envious of you who have already had surgery.

I will be having a single mastectomy (right side) sometime in July if the schedule holds. When I was first diagnosed, I wanted a double mastectomy and RIGHT NOW!! But I have since calmed down and will be focusing on ditching the boob that's trying to kill me (damn Thelma!!)

Have a good week, everyone.

• JN5000
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi LW422. My lumpectomy is healing really well. I'm taking Gabapentin to calm the nerves down a bit. I had some annoying sensations down my arm and under my arm. Not very painful, but very annoying and slightly painful. I only need one Gabapentin (at night) to calm it down. The Gabepentin helped with the pain inside the breast as well. I'm going to continue to take it through the Taxol treatment. I dry brush my skin to get lymph moving - it feels like an electric current under my arm when I brush it. I continue to have numbness under my arm and behind my underarm up my shoulder. I'm kind of surprised by how much area of numbness I have -- but it may be entirely within normal. But for sure -- I don't mind the numbness. Once the Gabapentin took away the zinging, I could handle the numbness. I haven't shaved my underarm since the surgery - that's kind of scary -- but I'm sure Taxol will relieve me of that burden. Both scars are under my arm, the lump removal just under the lymph node removal. They took 3 lymph nodes. I hope your surgery goes smoothly and that your recovery is quick.

Our bodies are under so much stress -- but they keep fighting for us! I do what I can to help mine heal -- started Epsom salt baths, which are really nice. It will be a regular thing on Days 2 and 3 of Taxol.The dry brushing also feels great. I walk every day I can, and I do a very gentle yoga stretch every day I can. I've also started sitting band strengthening exercises of my arms and upper body. I just keep getting mushier with all the couch time! I thought maybe I could come out of this with some toned arms!

More suggestions for helping ourselves heal?

I hope everyone is having a good week!! May is almost here -- we've been at this for a while. We're making it!!

Jennie

• ab45
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Jennie

I had seven lymph nodes removed in Jan 2021,still have numbness, gonna start physical therapy after chemo...best wishes on your recovery

• lw422
    edited April 2021
    Options

Jennie--thanks for the update on your surgery and progress. I hate that you are having to deal with numbness and other issues and I hope they are all temporary. As far as shaving armpits, I had Taxol 10 today and still have some armpit hair!! I also still have some hair on my head but I expect AC will take care of that!!

I hope everyone is having a good week with few SEs to deal with. Check in and let us know.

• JN5000
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi all.

I'm wondering if anyone takes any anti-inflammatory supplements such as Omega-3, or any other supplements. I just started drinking Golden Milk, which uses tumeric as an anti-inflammatory (given to me by a friend who has a genetic disease that results in many tumors, cancerous and not, in blood-rich areas of the body - she's treated by the NIH in DC, so I know she has the best doctors for her rare disease and I trust her recommendations), and I read one study (Japanese) that found Omega-3 reduced mucosal irration and diarrhea. It helped reduce toxicity. I feel like I could fall down a rabbit hole here, so I don't want to dig too long, but I'd love to know what you all are finding.

I hope you all are doing okay this week!

Jennie

• lw422
    edited April 2021
    Options

Jennie--I'm not taking any supplements and very few OTC meds. I'd suggest asking your MO about any supplement you'd like to try. Some of them are very specific about what can be taken during chemo. I will be interested to hear what your MO thinks.

• ab45
    edited April 2021
    Options

Jn5000

My oncologist suggested no supplements during chemo but I also would love to hear the outcome. Hope all is well

• JN5000
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi all.

My MO appproved flaxseed oil Omega 3s. I'm not sure I"m going to take it though so that my next blood labs aren't affected by supplements. On ThursdAY they added a check of Iron, Folate, and B12 to my lab and friday I found out I have very high B12 levels in my blood. It was too late in the day to talk to my MO, so that will happen Monday. I'm kind of freaked out about it. Has anyone had high B12 levels that WEREN'T a problem or were an easy fix? If it's big trouble, please don't tell me -- that can wait til Monday -- but if it's potentially not a big deal, I'd love to know. I'm not taking any supplements at all at this point.

Taxol #2 was Thursday. I've taken epsom salt baths every day and it dried up my skin rash which was covering a good percentage of my skin. So that's awesome. No more itching. Also put Sarna lotion on it, which I think helped too. I looked up tumeric and chemo -- not good to take tumeric, especially with AC! So that's out.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!!

Jennie

• ab45
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Jennie

Have you had problems with taste changes and a weird coating on your tongue during taxol? I had ulcers with ac but taxol is this weird coating..just wondering...glad to hear you are moving right along....sending positive vibes..ps can not comment on the b12, have not experienced that thus far

• JN5000
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi AB45. I haven't had any taste changes with Taxol and no weird coating in my mouth. I do have a couple mouth sores. I have iced my mouth yet, so that will begin with Taxol 3. I hope the taste changes are short lived! Sending positive vibes your way, too! I had taste changes with AC -- couldn't really taste salt. Potato chips were really good!!

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hello everyone; I hope you're all doing well. I'm getting nervous about an ultrasound on my cancer boob on Tuesday; I suppose they want to see if the chemo is working. I'm scared about it... what if it isn't working? Ugh. I hate effing cancer.

• ab45
    edited May 2021
    Options

Lw422

Scan anxiety....the worst..I can relate and sympathize with your fear...I think the thoughts of what if can torment us...but what if it is working? What if your testimony is going to help another? I know much easier said than done...but you have come so far this too is just another part of your journey...please keep me posted....prayers

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thanks, AB45. I'm trying to not freak out; I realize that the scans will only show what's there (or not). It's not like I can change the outcome by panicking, but once I get that ticket to Crazytown I lose my composure. I appreciate your kind words. How are you doing these days?

• JN5000
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thinking about you LW422. I hope tomorrow goes well.

I'm doing okay with Taxol. The very high B12 in my blood is not abnormal -- it indicates inflammation. So that's not a worry. I'm taking Omega 3 -- MO approved -- to help with inflammation. Epsom salt baths continue to do good things -- it keeps my rash toned down. I skipped the bath yesterday and the rash began to come back, so back in the tub I went. It's not itchy anymore. Other than that, fatigue. But I can handle the couch!

I hope everyone has a good week.

Jennie

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hey Jennie. Sounds like you're doing pretty well managing SEs! I haven't had any rash but I do get the flushed cheeks from the steroid; it only lasts a day or so.

Good news (kind of). My scan for tomorrow has been rescheduled; my MO wanted it done when I finish Taxol and I have 2 more infusions. I'll have the scan in a week or so. Tomorrow is Taxol #11 so almost done.

I hope everyone has a good week.

• pchyen
    pchyen Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi LW422, glad you are almost done Taxol!

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi there pchyen! Thanks; I'm happy to be almost done but dreading the AC that's up next. I hope Nicole is doing well with her treatment.

• ab45
    edited May 2021
    Options

Glad to hear everyone is moving along...update for me...taxol has brought on thrush....yayyyy meeee....I struggled with mouth ulcers during ac so thrush appears to be yet another side effect...I get taxol bi weekly not weekly....best of luck everyone this week...keep the updates coming...love hearing everyone's journey

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited May 2021
    Options

LW422, once I noticed you posted a link to the mittens you are using for taxol. I am not able to find them on the site unfortunately. Is it possible to post the link again? I have my last AC next week, and then off to Taxol, and I want to get ready for that one.

Thanks.

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Aram. I ended up returning the icing mitts; they were heavy and cumbersome. I use my phone or tablet a lot during chemo and the mitts were just too much trouble. I ended up buying a regular ice bag and take it with me empty; the nurses will fill it with ice and I just hold it, alternating hands if it gets too cold.

If you are still interested in mitts, these are the ones I returned... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086VP3N2J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

thank you. I saw Moth was using the same regular icing bag for hand too. So I might go the same route. What about feet? Did you get socks?

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Yes, I did get the icing socks and they work great. I carry them in a small lunch-sized cooler. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082Q3TB98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

Aram, I forgot to say that I carry a thin pair of trouser socks to wear under the icing socks. Those icers get really cold and the thin socks work well to keep my feet from being painfully cold.

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

thank you very much LW422

• lw422
    edited May 2021
    Options

You are quite welcome, Aram. I'm happy to report that I have had NO signs of neuropathy; no tingling, burning, or numbness in my hands or feet. Also, all my nails still look healthy and no discoloration or lifting from the nail beds. I also use OPI Nail Strengthener treatment... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00178TVXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in addition to the icing.

I have not had any mouth issues; no sores and a minimum of weird tastebuds. Not sure if that's due to sucking on the ice chips or not, but I'll keep sucking them!!

Good luck to you; I hope your Taxol experience is as easy as mine has been.