Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo March 2021

Options

Comments

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello all. I just joined and have not had a chance to read many posts yet. I'm scheduled to start TC chemo on 9 Mar for the first of 4 cycles. I had lumpectomy, clean margins, clean nodes, and a bilateral reduction at the same time in Dec 2020. I had a poorly healing wound which is why I'm starting chemo so late.

I'm very scared about all the risks with chemo. I'm hopeful you all will help me through this emotionally. I'm a wreck and that's not good to start out that way.

My oncotype score is 29 so it's intermediate, and I've batted around for 2 months whether to chemo or not to chemo. There is no right or good answer.

I look forward to learning from you all as we go through this.

Heidi

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited March 2021
    Options

Very headachy and tired, another long nap this afternoon. Again barely eating but know we need to... found out my covid shot will be the JJ, which is ok, take what you can get when you can get it!! No neulasta bone pain, (insert fingers crossed emoji here), and maybe by this time next week will be more up.

How are others doing?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi All, Looks like there is a longer March chemo 2021 group here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/879142?page=1#post_5647026

Going to close this one, and ask you all to join over there Medicating

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Good morning. So I guess I’m on day 5 of my cycle 1 of TC. So far fatigue is definitely the worst of it. Next level tired sometimes. And some constipation ThumbsDown

But nausea meds doing their job still. And biotene paste and mouthwash working out. Overall, I’m still grateful. It’s not “fun” LOL - but so far it’s tolerable.

I’m getting more and more nervous about losing my hair though. I’m hoping to handle it like a champ, but it scares me a bit.

Well, good luck to all of you!! Sending all my go vibes!

• GreenOutdoors
    GreenOutdoors Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2021
    Options

hey Aviva5675, I hope your headache is easing up. Are you able to take anything for it? If I counted right, today is day 5 for you, so maybe you’ll start feeling better today or tomorrow? I got my first Moderna shot last week, like you I didn’t get to chose, I’m glad I was able to get one. I start TC tomorrow, so other than freaking out and worrying I don’t have SE yet! Hang in there and thank you for letting us know how you are doing!

Kipepeo, hello! I too start TC tomorrow, 4 cycles. The amount of decisions this diagnosis is asking us to make is unreal! You are following your doctor’s advice and making the best informed decision for your situation. For tomorrow, I’m telling myself that all I have to do is show up, I’m not pretending that I’m brave or not terrified. You will be fine and you will get through this. I start around 11, I’m on the east coast. What time is yours? Feel free to private message me if you get too anxious.

I’m bringing a battery pack for my phone, a book a friend gave me, vitamin water, the “Aprepitant” pack, some snacks tbd. I don’t usually use earbuds but I’ll probably bring some. Am I missing something obvious? What did everyone else bring along with them

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello Chrystlx

Were you tired right away? I was hoping the steroids would prevent fatigue for maybe two days? Anyways I hope you’re able to rest as much as you need to. Also thanks for the heads up on constipation, I never had a problem until my surgery, and I certainly want to prevent that issue as much as possible!! About loosing hair, I very much share your worry!

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors, I'm on the east coast as well. I arrive at 8:30am for a 2 hour infusion.

I bought a cute backpack from target which is actually a laptop bag to carry all my chemo-ware each time. I'm curious about these icy hands/feet things and whether my center provides anything, even ice for my own bag. I run cold, so if I have both hands and feet on ice they better have a heated seat or many heated blankets for me.

I'm not looking forward to the hair loss as I just got mine grown out where I can pull it all back together. But oh well. Bald will certainly mean shorter showers, and NO hat head!

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

Green Outdoors,

I had chemo Thursday, was good most of Friday, then really tired Friday afternoon, and Saturday. Steroids make it tough to sleep, for me. So it’s a weird paradox.

• emotionalpond
    emotionalpond Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello

Looks like I will be starting chemo. I'm thinking by the end of March. Looks like I will be doing 4 rounds of Docetaxel/Cyclophosphamide. Nervous and scared but I think it will work!!! Hopefully I won't have the worst side effects.

• Shani15
    Shani15 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi,

I had my first infusion of Taxol on Thursday and it went well, no allergic reaction and haven't had any side effects until today. The only thing was that I was not able to sleep well that night, I was up most of the night, my nurse told me I could take some Benadryl to help me sleep those days. One thing I forgot, in case someone else is icing their hands and feet, is to bring some thin gloves and socks to put under their actual icing gloves/socks because I did not brought anything for my hands and it was burning my skin so I had to take them out a couple of times, it's better to use something to protect the skin. Another thing is that it may take longer than expected, I thought that it was going to take around 3 hours and I was there from 10:30 to 4:30pm.

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello all,

I'm starting chemo on March 10 (Wednesday), looks like there is a bunch of us getting started at the same time. I'm ready to get this going, a little bit nervous about "Red Devil" though. I believe I'm having 6 treatments. I am going to try the Claritin, I have heard from other sources to take it for Neulasta pain.

Hope everyone that has already started is doing very well, sending healing love your way!

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi NatureYogi, I am with you about the red devil. I hope it is better than its name. I went through the posts in AC thread and it seemed some people handled it relatively well. I hope that is the case here. I am starting mine a day after you.

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

yesterday afternoon, I experienced some pretty bad nausea and was quite achy. It was no fun.

But still, no vomiting. The meds have calmed it down so far this morning, just feel kinda icky.

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Chrystlx, I am sorry for your nausea. I think this was your day 3 I think? Were you on nausea meds and it stll happened?

I hope today goes easier on you.

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

I'm sitting in the infusion chair right now waiting for lab results. I did not use lidocaine on my port. The nurse sprayed it with a cooling spray first. I did not feel a thing with the stick.

This is by far the scariest thing I've ever had to do. This is my fear. Please don't let me bring you down. I will keep you posted on the good and the bad of my experience.

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

So yesterday wasday 5, my first day w/o steroids. Don't know if that made a difference. I waited til I felt nauseated to take meds. Live and learn. Today im on a routine. Also, the aching from presumably the Neulasta isn't great. But, I'm hanging in there.

• handmaidofthelord
    handmaidofthelord Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello everyone!

I'm new (see my dx details in my signature) and will be starting my AC tomorrow, March 10 (every 3 weeks, 4 rounds). I'm nervous but eager to start since my cancer is already on the move. I've heard the nickname the "Red Devil" as well, but I'm choosing to believe this is one time we want something "wicked" fighting on OUR side. Let's just try to remember that this devil is there to seek and destroy cancer cells for us--we want him to be ferocious!

I'm hoping for minimal side effects as well, but the discomforts will be well worth it if it works. Since I'm pregnant, I will not be taking Neulasta, but hopefully my WBC will recover and sustain itself on its own.

Best of luck to us all!

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi handmaidofthelord, I am sorry you are here with us, and congratulations on your baby. I agree with you that we want the wicked on our side. Let us know how it goes with your first treatment and good luck.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Chrystlx, I understand what you meant about the steroids! My first time ever taking steroids was yesterday and all I did last night was wake up, so I’m tired but with energy, it’s a very strange feeling. I’m sorry you’re having nausea. I had my first treatment today and the nurse told me that I will probably feel a little nauseous even with the meds but that I shouldn’t vomit.. great! She did say that I’ll feel fine until the steroids wear off.
    Kipepeo, I hope your treatment day went well. How do you feel? My day was long, they were careful and slow with the Taxotere and checking on me every 5 minutes. No bad side effects, my hands felt warm and weird so they will give me ice mittens next time. I went for a walk once I got home and my goal is to do that daily! (My goal might change as this might be the steroids talking!)

Hi handmaidofthelord, I’m sorry you find yourself here. I wish you luck tomorrow and few sides effects!

Sending well wishes to everyone

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors I took dexamethasone last night and again this morning before treatment and I didn't have any side effects from that. I slept well last night. I had no problem during or after treatment, and now it's almost 7pm and I still feel fine. I have been snacking on Wheat Thins crackers and whole wheat bread a little, and tons of water. I had have a subway sandwich at lunch. I've had no nausea yet and I haven't let my stomach get empty.

My nurse slowed the infusion of the Taxotere I think because it can cause a burning feeling in the crotch, the perianal region. I appreciated that, and I felt no burning.

I brought two ice packs they give you after surgery and they filled them with ice for me. I placed one between my feet and held the other in my lap with my hands. I also sucked ice chips periodically the whole time too, holding them to the roof of my mouth. Hopefully no neuralgia symptoms for me and limited mouth sores. I am getting a dry mouth now. I have Biotene rinse I should go use.

I will not get the Neulasta shot this time. MO felt I wouldn't need it this time, but of course will check next time.

My first experience went remarkably well, but I realize symptoms are coming. I hope my next one in 3 weeks is as uneventful.

• darksparks
    darksparks Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello everyone,

I started my chemo yesterday on March 9 (Asian timezone so I might be in the future for some of you?). I am triple positive so I will be doing 6 cycles of Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin, 3 weeks apart. The herceptin will continue on for a year but I'm told the SEs of herceptin alone should not be an issue. I struggled with choosing an MO and a regimen I am comfortable with, but after the first session and listening to my chosen MO's rationale for choosing this regimen for me, I feel confident that I made the right choice (as opposed to ACTH). The nurses were all very nice and my MO dropped by to check on me. It went well, if a bit long at over 5 hours due to testing me for allergies to the chemo, and I did not feel much discomfort. I did cold cap and had iced mittens for the Taxotere part of the chemo to protect my fingers and scalp.

I do feel a little sluggish today on day 2. And the water is starting to taste a bit weird. I'm having a light breakfast now after taking meds to protect my stomach. I'll be taking my dexamethasone after. Hopefully I won't feel too nauseous. I'm counting down the days to June 22!

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

NatureYogi and handmaidofthelord, I think you both are starting your AC chemo today. Good luck, and let me us how it goes. I will be a day behind you.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Aram Did you complete your first treatment today? How did it go

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited March 2021
    Options

Day 6, I feel definitely better today. First day with out a nap. I read more about the headaches and think I might have been dehydrated?? Started trying to drink more yesterday and today is much better, a very low thing in head but took no meds. Still taking the Claritin since last Weds (neulasta went off Fri), no pain, a minor twinge in lower back once in a while, but Im really happy. Will take it another few days. Nervous about stopping since I don't want pain to suddenly start. Go for first blood work tomorrow, will be interesting to see how my levels are.

Good luck to the rest of our starting women!! You can do this.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Kipepeo,

I’m so glad everything went better than you feared. I think that I’ll do like you and bring ice packs for my feet next time. I did chew on ice chips during the Taxotere and I’m diligent about biotene mouth rinse and gel, my mouth feels fine so far.
    Today is day 2 for me, I went in for the Neulasta shot today, it was quick, I felt flushed about an hour after but it went away. I was told that the Neulasta usually follows a pattern, so if I get very achy 3 days after the shot, I can preemptively take Tylenol next time.

I had some mild nausea in the morning and took Zofran and ate more today. Water tastes weird and the nurse recommended Propel water for nausea and better hydration, so I tried that today and I like it. I’m writing all the symptoms I’m getting in my planner to bring to my next MO appointment, because I wouldn’t remember them all or when they happen. I’m also curious to see if there will be patterns or different symptoms each cycle

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors, my first treatment is tomorrow. For some reason my signature says today! Tried to change it in the settings but it is correct there, lol. Keeping a symptom log is such a good idea, I am going to do the same.

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi all. I’ve been taking the Claritan daily as well, but the aches have still been terrible. Nausea hasn’t been bad, but I stay routine with the meds. Also, I’ve definitely been exhausted. All the naps for me!
    Tomorrow is one week out and I go to get blood work. Hoping that goes well.

Side effect journal is a great idea. I’m gonna start one

Good luck tomorrow, Aram!!

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2021
    Options

Chemo went well for me today, just felt drowsy due to the anti nausea meds. The nurse told me to take Claritin for the Neulasta. I came home and ate and took two hour nap. Pounding down the water, eating some clementine oranges. I go back in two weeks. Handofthelord, I love your outlook on the Red Devil! Yes we all need something fierce to kill those cancer cells.

Tip: Take a small rolling luggage for your supplies, snacks, water, etc. My backpack got heavy. I saw a lady with a small luggage, fits everything and you roll in and out no problem.

Hope everyone is doing well! Hang in there!

• LoveNow
    LoveNow Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2021
    Options

Greetings :)

Looks like I get to join the tribe here. Will be starting TC next week on the 18th.

So grateful to have others to chat with about all this. Sending good energy to you all and I'm looking forward to getting to know each other and share tips and support.

Is it ok to ask questions here or is it best to look for other posts? For instance, I am curious who else has a port and what that is like?

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Aram, Good luck today, you’ll do well! I’m glad you like the symptoms log idea, and I hope yours stay short!

Handofthelord, my teen suddenly became convinced that I won’t loose my hair (I very likely will), and constantly asks how I’m feeling, so I used your explanation a little (I’m not getting the red devil) and said that it is all proof that the treatment is working and targeting those fast cells. I think it made her feel better. Thank you for that.

Chrystlx and Aviva5675, very interested in how your blood results will come out one week after TC #1. I’m usually taking allergy meds this time of year so my MO told me that I can take Claritin daily, I have no idea if that will make a difference with aches. They did tell me to call if Tylenol didn’t control the pain enough (not sure how much is enough pain !? I don’t have pain yet) I’m still not staying asleep but no more steroids, so all that should change fast.

Welcome LoveNow, sorry you find yourself here but thank you for the positive energy! It looks like you have bilateral cancer, I do too. I keep thinking we’re not as uncommon as doctors say! I’m also on TC, 4 cycles. I have a port, I don’t really notice it, and it didn’t feel uncomfortable during my firsttreatment at all. I did have lung collapse/pneumothorax after the procedure but that is very unusual, 1% low, so I’ve got that covered and I think you’ll be fine getting it.

TL;DR: steroids are keeping me awake and I wish everyone well!