Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo March 2021

Options

Comments

• darksparks
    darksparks Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2021
    Options

Day 3 and I'm really tired! My cheeks are so red and I believe I'm constipated so I'll try to take meds to help move my bowels along. Just took my wbc booster shot and will be meeting my MO next Tuesday for a follow up.

My appetite is a little poorer today and I am trying hard to keep my fluid intake up but it's not easy.

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2021
    Options

LoveNow I got a port 1 week before my first treatment. It was incredibly sore that day and night but got better very quickly. I bought the otc lidocaine cream but decided not to use it. I wanted to see how bad that stick was. My nurse used some cold spray first and I didn't feel a thing going in or out. I don't like having it, but it's temporary and I can live with it.

I'm keeping a symptom journal too. I saw one on this site somewhere for TC and it can be helpful just to kind of know when to expect things to happen. I wish there was a poll on this site or some other aggregated info broken out by the treatments. I'm kind of guessing days 2-4/5 are the worst for TC.

I'm on day 3 and still doing fine. But my mouth and stomach feel like I've eaten a lot of pineapple and tomatoes. I stay on top of meds for any symptom.

Yesterday I felt so good I actually went on a motorcycle ride.

I was curious about why chemo makes us nauseous. It irritates the stomach cells to release serotonin and through a further pathway in the brain tells the stomach to evacuate. I'm wondering if the elevated serotonin levels is why I felt good, especially last night.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey All,

Trying something new! Medicating

Going through Chemotherapy? Come to our first Zoom Meetup!

Come be with others just starting or in the process of chemotherapy in a relaxing, confidential and supportive virtual environment.
    To Register, download the Zoom app and click the link below.

When: Mar 16, 2021 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrc-Cor...

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Hope to see you there!

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2021
    Options

I did my first round today. I don't have my port yet and it took two nurses, and three attempts to get a vein! They just gave me an appointment for my port a day before my next chemo. I think nobody wants to go through that experience again.

Other than that so far it has been good maybe because I am on 3 different anti nausea meds. I just got sinus pain, and runny nose on the cyclophosphamide but the nurse said it is normal and it is going to go away.

For now the only side effect is the sore vein, and it is not even not the one that they used at the end!

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2021
    Options

LoveNow - I HATE my port! LOL. Don’t get me wrong, it’s better than “searching” for veins, but I definitely notice it. It’s been in two weeks and it’s uncomfortable to sleep on that side, or the other side really b/c my arm pushes it. It makes blood draws and chemo easier, so I’ll deal.

I am finally feeling pretty good today!! My bloodwork came back “top notch” so the neulasta, while causing discomfort, did the trick. Hoping for two good weeks before round two.

Definitely days 4-6 were THE WORST for me. Best of luck to you all

• LoveNow
    LoveNow Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks so much for everyone sharing port experiences. Sounds just like it's very individual, like so much of this. Did they give you a choice as to which side it would be placed on? After hearing from you Chryslx I feel like I should try to ask for the side which would work best with my life. For instance, my 5 year old has been so concerned since my dx that she wants to sleep with me every night and she always lays her head on my left side. So maybe right would be my better choice.

Kipepeo- very good idea about the journal. I am so new to this and feel a bit lost. Also, very interesting info about the serotonin connection!

Btw anyone have tips on how to reassure young kids while also being honest that none of us can promise anything?

• LoveNow
    LoveNow Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi GreenOutdoors. Are you a BRCA mutant by any chance? They guessed and proved I was due to my age (43) and multiple tumors.

So sorry to hear about your rare complication from the port!!! I hope that has healed up ok and the rest of your treatment goes smoothly.

• GreenOutdoors
    GreenOutdoors Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2021
    Options

Good Morning,

Today is day 4 of TC#1 for me. Days 1 and 2 were somewhat ok but steroids made me feel way too jittery and not like myself, then I faded fast on day #3 and took a long nap, I’m achy, sore knees, sore neck and upper back, headache, sore throat, heartburn and so tired.No fever, staying hydrated, eating more protein than I’m used to and keeping to bland foods. Zofran on schedule and Tylenol early morning and before bed (after checking for no fever). I’m walking or doing stationary bike daily, very slowly and not for very long.

Chrystal, I’m so glad to read that you are feeling a little better and that your blood work was good! So Neulasta might be worth the pain?!

Heidi, a poll would be interesting. So many possible symptoms! Wishing you a good day 4

LoveNow, hi fellow mutant! I’m an NBN mutant.

Aram, the poking doesn’t sound fun at all. The nurse gave me a hot pack to put on my forehead/nose when she started the C infusion, she said it helps with sinus pain. I didn’t end up needing it though.

Darksparks, my cheeks were so red also. Seems better today. I took Miralax on day 1 after reading here from someone else on TC that it caused constipation. Fun stuff! Hope your appetite is better today.

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

I guess the honeymoon is over. Today is TC day #4. Yesterday afternoon started feeling fatigued but not terrible. Went for a short motorcycle ride. But in the evening I felt like I'd been driving all night. So tired.

I had a bit of a rough night. I have some mild constipation which hurts me because I have some pelvic adhesions from several abdominal surgeries. I was up and down many times. Took one Senokot S to help loosen things.

No nausea really. A little muscle pain, but we had the windows cracked last night and I may have gotten cold.

I'm not looking forward to the weekend really being days 5-6.

Hang in there gals. I don't have much supportive words for you all right now...

• darksparks
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yes, day 4 seems to be really tough. My whole body is achey from the wbc booster and I finally managed to relieve my constipation a little. This seems quite possibly the turning point though as I spotted some loose stools. From constipation to diahhrea? Say it ain't so.

The one weird thing I've been getting a little is a bit of pain shooting through my right breast. Have never felt anything like this before today. I'll call the clinic to see if it's something I should be careful of.

Stay strong ladies.

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

Second day on AC. This morning I took my nausea meds and no issues there so far. But today I am tired, and my mind is foggy. I thought steroids give you energy but apparently not. I just want to nap the whole time.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited March 2021
    Options

Day 7 and I feel good . Almost normal. Days 2-5 were the worst. Had blood work yesterday my ANC went from 6.05 last week to 1.81. To be expected. She said neulasta is working and will kick in about now, and next weeks blood should show it back up. No concern for it unless goes below 1.5

Not knocking it but shocked I feel this 'well'. Waiting for the hammer to drop any day.

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

Day 9 of my first cycle and I’m feeling pretty good. Mostly just a lack of energy.

Y’all, I started noticing some extremely thin patches of hairBawling Oh no!!! I’m not ready!!!! But I think today is the day. I can’t imagine just watching it clump out. I think I’d like at least some control. Aw man, I know hair shouldn’t be such a concern, but it really is. Sigh.

I will now attempt to adopt a better, more “warrior” attitude about it. LOL.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

Chrystal

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2021
    Options

Good morning lovely ladies! I hope everyone is doing ok and feeling much better. Today is day 4 for me. Day 2 and 3 were were crappy, but doable. My cheeks got red and flushed as well, no appetite, slightly constipated, no energy. Day 2 I slept a lot. Walked to mailbox yesterday and was fatigued. I did take Cascada Segara for the constipation, worked well. Last night headache and I just felt like crying, so I did. I have a lot of swelling in my right arm and side due to the tumor causing congestion in my nodes (pressing). Going to my massage therapist at 11 to have her do lymphatic drainage. I would say this is my chief complaint overall, the lymphedema pain and finding a comfortable way to sleep. Darksparks I have had some shooting pain in my armpit (one of the nodes is involved and big). Maybe Red Devil targeting it?

I have a port and I am happy with it. Aram, I have to be stuck 5 times for an IV to get port placed, not fun, so I feel for you! At treatment it was painless.

Today is sunny and husband taking me to park here in Savannah, the azaleas are all in bloom. I need to get outside in nature.

Do something special for yourself today, I know it is hard when you feel nauseated, tired, etc., but pamper yourself, Have a soak in the tub, have someone rub your feet...anything that will lift your spirits.

I'll check back in later, sending healing thoughts your way. I really hope you all have a good day, you certainly deserve it!

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

Today is day 5. I can definitely say day 4 was the worst. I worked a full day (telework), laid in the sun midday (covered), but then camped in my chair all evening. Sore, exhausted, in and out of the bathroom, foggy brain. Blech.

I'm still having gi issues trying to combat constipation without it becoming diarrhea. But overall I feel much better today. I'm not on any meds. I haven't had any appreciable nausea, thank God!

Aviva, glad you made past the hump, I'm right behind you.

Chrystlx, shave it! I'm actually looking forward to shaving mine. I don't want to be bald, but I will be so I'm embracing it.

25% done with this.

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

Crystal, have you seen the ponytail headbands at headcovers.com? I got two of them. You wear these with a regular ball cap that has the hole in back and they have little side curls. Good chance to try out new hair colors!

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

TC day 5 is all naps and lazy walks for me. Tired but most of the pain is gone which I’m so happy about! No meds needed today.

Crystal the weekend does seem like a good time to shave the hair. Hang in there, we’ll be right there with you soon

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi all, day 3 for me. The nausea meds are working but I am beyond tired. Going in and out of sleep all day. I have one more day of steroids and then I see what Monday brings on with no steroids.

NatureYogi, ouch, five times hurts. But the good part is you have your port

Crystal, I was planning to shave my head today as well but I was too tired for even that.

I wish everyone a more energetic day tomorrow!

• darksparks
    edited March 2021
    Options

Aram, I basically slept all of day 3 and 4 I think! So much that I worry about not being active enough.

I'm having constant abdominal cramps now. I am not sure if it was the constipation meds that caused it. I am now having diahhrea so I'll hold off on taking those for sure haha.

I've also developed painful sores on my scalp. I take it as a sign that the cold cap was not effective for me.

My energy and appetite have returned slightly. Is it terrible that I'm even craving burgers?

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

Good morning all.

Darksparks- sorry to hear about those abdominal cramps and scalps sores. I had those cramps pretty bad too. Hard to find that happy medium for the GI tract. Very frustrating.

I did it. My hair is gone. Still kinda processing it, but my friends say I look like a badass, so I’ll take it.

Physically feeling pretty good. Looking forward to a week and a half of feeling okay before cycle two

• kipepeo
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yay Chrystal. You probably do look badass...do you feel it?

I'm also having a sore tingly scalp. I have a bunch of painful almost itchy bumps and some facial acne from this. I hope those go away once bald.

It's the morning of day 6. I slept well. Stomach feels fine, muscles/joints still a bit sore. But I can really feel the low blood counts. I did not have neulasta. We are not much higher than sea level so altitude is not a factor. Taking my temp often, and staying away from people. We live on a farm, so it's easy to do so.

• darksparks
    edited March 2021
    Options

Chrystlx, it is frustrating isn't it, how it swings from one extreme to the other. Whatever happened to middle ground?

I'm having facial acne as well. Some of my scalp sores seem to be bleeding. If shaving my hair off helps with these then I will soon join you in shaving it all off! We're all badass warriors here.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

darksparks, I have no advice for the GI problems, just wanted to say that I sympathize. No matter what I do, it’s all out of whack!

Showers are so tiring that bold almost seem like a good alternative. I’m so glad you are rocking it Crystal!

Stay well Heidi, I hope your blood count turns out ok next week. Farms are cool, no farm no food is my bumper sticker

• aviva5675
    edited March 2021
    Options

One thing I've found from this time and first time around is that it helps to visit the boards of women who are going thru what we are but a month or 2 or 3 ahead.... Good advice there to prepare ourselves, and can see what they have been thru.

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2021
    Options

Crystal! I bet you look awesome, you are an inspiration to us. Aviva that is a great idea to look at the boards of the women that have started chemo before us.

Stay well everyone!

• Chrystlx
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks, y’all. Getting quickly used to the buzz cut.

Question: does anyone else have a sore throat? Started yesterday (day 10), right when every other part of me is finally feeling better. Ugh. I’m guessing it’s b/c of the dryness. Dry eyes, dry skin, dry nose etc. but it is SUPER uncomfortable.

Maybe I’ll check previous month’s groups. Good idea

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

AC day 6. I have been extremely tired and sleeping almost the whole time. I contacted my MO and he said to have 1 to 2 litres of water, which I was already doing, and move around. Neither have worked for me. I slept 12 hours straight last night, and right now after half an hour of being up I can go to bed again. Anyone else dealing with extreme fatigue?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey All, Just letting you know that we had a very nice first gathering, and we're making it a recurring meeting in case you would like to join.

Going through Chemotherapy?

Come be with others just starting or in the process of chemotherapy in a relaxing, confidential and supportive virtual environment. This will be a recurring meeting.

To Register, download the Zoom app and click the link below.

When: Tuesday, Mar , 2021 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting (if you register once you will not need to register for future meetings):

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrc-Cor....

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

See you then!

• emotionalpond
    emotionalpond Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello

Ok looks like I will be starting Chemo next week. All scans completed and they are clear!!!!!! Thank goodness!!!!!

So I'm a bit freaked out by things and am hoping the MO can ease my mind!!!!!!

• aviva5675
    edited March 2021
    Options

I was in the Zoom meeting today and thought it was very good. Not too many of us there but it was interesting as each was at a different treatment point. We had an easy going and helpful conversation. I think each of us felt comfortable talking about our treatment and how we felt. Highly recommend!