Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo March 2021

Options

Comments

• LoveNow
    LoveNow Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi HopeHeal,

I have three more tc treatments 21 days apart from each other. Today I need to go in because my mastectomy incision is bleeding. if it ain't one thing it's another! ;)

Do you know what they are going to be giving you? Looks like it is all happening very quickly which is good for your treatment but hard to adjust to mentally and emotionally.

Yesterday I cried a little at urgent care because the staff were so kind and caring and really addressed me as a human, not just a body. It was very different from the breast center and oncology staff I am used to dealing with at the hospital. It means so much to hear others speak to how hard this crisis can be on someone and their families, and share encouragement and stories of surviving and thriving.

I am sending you calm and soothing energy for your upcoming treatments.

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137
    edited March 2021
    Options

LoveNow, I know what you mean about being treated as a just body. I have experienced that now by being moved along a conveyor belt without being kept updated. I believe breast cancer is an emotionally-related disease and the quality of human relations can affect outcome. I am surprised mainstream medical professionals aren't focused on that given the data.

I don't know what my chemo will be as I haven't met with my oncologist yet but I assume it will be a strong concoction since the goal is to shrink before surgery and prevent metastasis. For me, as you, this is very hard to adjust to. I am worried about he chemo effects and more so hope the treatment works. Thank you for the blessings.

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2021
    Options

TC day #14 feeling pretty good actually. Just tired. Wish I could nap. Buzzed head feels really bizarre, and except for not really liking to look bald, liking the ease of it! 😊

Lovenow I hear you on the emotional piece. I cried in emergency triage when they said it was serious and I might need surgery. I cried in my room talking to someone on the phone. Next thing I know they sent a chaplain in. We had a nice chat and I know full well why she was there.

I've cried a lot during my journey. I've had a lot of things happen: initially my doc and the radiology department failed to tell me I needed an MRI. I called to ask, which started the ball rolling. Then my MRI showed a possible chest wall tumor which would have made it a stage 3. That led to a PET scan which is the scariest test ever, because they can basically look for cancer tumors anywhere in your torso. Then after surgery I had a wound that wouldn't heal and delayed chemo start. I had 3 debridements on that. Then the perforated diverticulitis.

I think it's ok to cry. As long as it doesn't consume you.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 2021
    Options

Zoom meetup TODAY for those about to start, or going through Chemotherapy!

The registration link may not have been working, so re-posting!

Please join today by using the Zoom Meeting ID: 852 4261 3568

You can also register in advance for this meeting!

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvc-uur...After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Hope to see you today, and apologies if registration wasn't working

The Mods

• LoveNow
    edited March 2021
    Options

HopeHeal you are going through so much, so fast! Your emotional connection reminded me of this very fascinating article I found when I was first diagnosed. It really rang true to me as to perhaps why this disease "found" me. https://www.drnorthrup.com/energetic-breast-and-he...

And Heidi what a wild ride you've had so far. I really hope it gets easier for you and becomes more uneventful and safer feeling.

I too met with a chaplain during my first chemo and it was such a relief to speak to someone who saw me as a whole person and valued the emotional pieces of this experience. I tend to hold my sadness in most of the time and I think this illness is requesting that I allow a healthier flow. So much can be gained from this shakedown of my reality and I am trying hard to use it as a teacher to go deeper into who I really am and a more balanced way to live.

This was the meditation I listened to the day of Chemo. I found it helpful as it repeatedly encourages to feel empowered and direct the body to respond positively. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNaqEKtc4Uk

*It does use the language "Heavenly Father, Divine Mother" which I know some may not connect to. I change the wording to something that does feel more true for me.

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2021
    Options

Good morning ladies! TC day 16 and aside from some dry eyes I'm feeling pretty good. I meet with my MO Friday afternoon and everything is on the table. I will consider additional treatments, but we have to address what happened, why, and how to mitigate and monitor things. My doctor did not think I needed a Neulasta shot? I don't know if this would have helped me, but it wouldn't have hurt.

I received Granix, not Neulasta in the hospital and I did not really experience bone pain. Just a little in my lower back and sternum for a few hours. Tylenol took care of that. That drug (and the antibiotics) pulled me from the brink.

Hair, well head! I still have fuzz. When does this disappear? I have several head coverings, but I'm finding I like a regular buff pulled up and over like a scarf. It's much cooler than a beanie, stays on well. I'm really liking the quick showering routine!

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Kipepeo, really encouraging to hear you are feeling good. I imagine the body gets used to the chemo and adjusts. Still, MO should keep a close eye on your state and bloods. Did MO give you an emergency number to call or just go the ER?

I recall loving the shorter showers when my hair was cut shorter to can appreciate your experience.

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Kipepeo, really encouraging to hear you are feeling good. I imagine the body gets used to the chemo and adjusts. Still, MO should keep a close eye on your state and bloods. Did MO give you an emergency number to call or just go the ER?

I recall loving the shorter showers when my hair was cut shorter so can appreciate your experience.

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Kipepeo, I am very happy to hear you are doing well. Please let us know how it goes with your MO

• heliosue
    heliosue Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2021
    Options

Checking in two days after 1st treatment. Neulasta patch seemed to work as intended, as do the anti-nausea meds. I picked up some Claritin but so far not much in the way of pain or discomfort from the Neulasta. I do feel more tired today but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Kipepeo, I'll be most interested to hear how you work out this issue with your oncologist. I have mild diverticulosis, which sometimes acts up, and your experience is very scary. Good luck with getting this problem solved.

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello all and warm welcome to the new members!

Kipepeo-My heart goes out to you, you are so right about trusting our gut instincts, we cannot doubt ourselves. I had a problem last week with major swelling and pain, feverish. I just felt like I had an infection. Drs kept saying "its the cancer", finally someone listened and they put me on antibiotics. About day 3 on a $4 bottle of antibiotics and I felt way better. They did blood work and my WBC was non existent! Day 4 I woke up at 1:00am and all swelling and pain were gone! We all know our bodies, don't give up if you feel something just isn't right.

Heliosue- I am Triple Negative as well. Sorry you had to join us, but glad you are here with caring people.

Hope everyone is feeling ok and not having too bad side effects. My throat has been dry and I'm coughing, partly due to high pollen count.

Hair starting to fall out, I'll buzz cut this weekend. I had 2nd treatment today, was really hungry afterwards. I don't eat meat often, but craved chicken.

Take care all, sending healing prayers your way

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you for the welcome NatureYogi. Glad to hear you were your own best advocate and insisted on the tx that led to the antibiotics. Honestly, these stories about MO's overlooking issues is making me nervous. I hope they were monitoring your blood work and just missed an in-between WBC drop. How are you handling any nausea?

Unfortunately, my knee is irritating me. I made an appointment with my PCP to look at it & will also show it to the MO. It would be complex for my knee to be conking out at this time.

LoveNow thanks for the Northrup link, her philosophy is golden.

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi NatureYogi, I am sorry about your fever and kudos to you for insisting and knowing your body. When was the WBC count zero during the cycle? Was it at the end? Were the second treatment SEs any different than the first one?

• Carpe-Diem
    Carpe-Diem Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello All -

Recently diagnosed with a new primary cancer (Metaplastic Triple Negative) in reconstructed breast. Finished with surgeries - removed the DIEP reconstructed breast and went flat.Starting chemotherapy (Cytoxan & Taxotere) on March 31st. Looks like quite a few ladies in March are also having same regiment. Any tips so far? Do any of you have an extremely strong sense of smell on this type of chemo? In 2014 while on AC, I had an acute sense of smell which made it difficult to eat foods with too much smell - just stuck to salads and cold food. So I am wondering what experiences you have had on taxotere and cytoxan?

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

I ended up in the ER last night as well. I had a low grade fever but the chemo booklet said if it is more than an hour I need to go to ER. Here they checked my WBC and it is at 0.0! They are keeping me in the hospital till the numbers go higher...

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Aram - so sorry you’re in the hospital. Hope you feel better soon!

Carpe diem- welcome! Sorry you have to do this AGAIN! Boooooooo! I have not noticed a heightened sense of smell at all. My sense of taste was definitely affected- nothing really tasted good, except sweet things. I had a lot of smoothies and bland foods, like grits.

I am in the chair getting my second treatment right now, and I get my second Covid vaccine tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone!!

• LoveNow
    edited March 2021
    Options

Sending you healing energy for a quick recovery Aram. Very glad you took yourself in and hope they can solve why your count is at 0.

I have been in an out of the clinic/urgent care/hospital almost every other day it seems. So many confusing SEs and thankfully yesterday my oncologist said she thought I was doing the right thing by calling anytime something seems off. Especially after our first treatments when we don't know how our particular body will react.

Has anyone else had a rapid heart rate and/or BP issues since starting? Yesterday I had to go in for iv fluids and bloodwork. My heart was up to 140+ BPM while standing and my BP which normally is very low, was quite high. After the infusion my HR came down to 100 and they sent me home, but this morning it is back in the 130s. Before this all I did tend to have POTS symptoms but my HR would fairly quickly drop to normal. I know my MO wanted to do an echocardiogram if I was to be on ACT, but she skipped that when we decided on TC.

btw Carpe-Diem, I have had the opposite of sensitivity, my taste and smell are very dulled. Strangest is that refined sugar tastes salty to me. Which is probably for the best cause I shouldn't be eating it anyway ;)

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

Wishes for a speedy recovery to all those courageous members having SEs. I hope you all have someone to take you to the hospital/urgent care. Are you going to your original cancer center hospital or any local hospital? I don't live near my breast pavillion where my treatment is decided and am hopeful I can go to a local hospital if SEs arise and that they can confer with my doctors.

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

LoveNow, from last night my resting heart rate is around 100. Before It was usually between 60 to 70. I have repeatedly told the nurses but it doesn't seem to concern them much. I am waiting to see if my dr visits me and ask him about it.

• GreenOutdoors
    GreenOutdoors Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2021
    Options

Aram, I'm so sorry you're in the hospital. Did you get a Neulasta shot the day after chemo? Either way, I hope you feel much better fast.

Carpe-Diem, sorry you find yourself here again. I've only had one TC treatment, I haven't noticed a big change in my sense of smell, it might be heightened a little bit. I have noticed a change in taste the first week past treatment as well as mouth and throat irritation which so far is manageable with frequent mouth rinses. I'm enjoying meat and cottage cheese which is not like me at all. I hope you'll tolerate the treatment well.

LoveNow my heart rate isn't as high as yours, but it was elevated the two weeks post TC, my resting heart rate is usually low 60's but it was up in the 80's. So many things just “feel wrong" with my body, but this week is better, hopefully it will get better for you also.

details for people who get abnormal liver enzymes blood work results: My liver enzymes pre-chemo were 18 (normal is under 33), went up to 125 a week post TC and are now down to 51 two weeks post chemo. MO calls them “mildly elevated" and is happy that they are trending down. Platelets are back to normal range. TC#2 is Tuesday, no delay!

I hope everyone gets to enjoy a relaxing and recharging weekend. I know I'm looking forward to it, I'm getting my second covid vaccine Saturday. I'm really happy about that!

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors that is great your body is adjusting. I scheduled my first covid just in the nick of time this weekend so I may be getting my second shot during the tx, which hasn't started yet. I am meeting with my MO next week. Do you feel well enough to drive after the infusion? Also, how often are the treatments? I imagine it's different for everyone.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hope, I am doing 4 cycles of TC (Taxotere+Cytoxan), each cycle is 21 days. I did not drive myself after my first treatment. I could have if I had to, but I had no idea how I would feel. I got the Moderna vaccine, my first dose was before starting chemo, and my second is just before the second dose, which though not planned, works out well.

Will next week be the first time that you meet your MO? If so, do they have a nurse navigator setup for you? My nurse navigator is awesome! I contacted her often when I was first diagnosed and she always had straight informative answers. It really helped with my anxiety. Due to covid I go to all appointments alone, so the nurse navigator goes with me when I need her to. Do you know which treatments are being considered for you so that you can research them a little? For example, in my case AC+T (Taxol) as well as TC were both considered. My completely uneducated guess would be that they’ll recommend DD AC+T (dose dense (every 14 days) AC (4 cycles) + T (4cycles))? I’m really not sure

I know it’s difficult to be at the step you are in, not knowing exactly when/what is next. It truly does get better once active treatment starts and you feel like you’re doing something, not just waiting for appointments that lead to more questions and appointments! You got this!

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors, no I didn't get a shot after my infusion. I was supposed to have a blood test two days before my second infusion (day 19th in the cycle). Apparently the hospital I am in mostly believes body can recover on its own from day 14 to 21. I was given a Neupogen shot yesterday in the other hospital (the one close to my house) before getting transferred but the emergency oncologist in my current hospital said he doesn't think it was necessary.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited March 2021
    Options

Aram, it’s all so confusing, it seems like maybe 1/2 of us are getting Neulasta and 1/2 are not. The side effects from everything they giving us are so bad that I’m sure there are lots of advantages to not getting Neulasta or Neupogen. Are you feeling better, and is your next chemo cycle being delayed? Or do you not know that yet

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

I agree, it is so confusing that even in one province two different hospitals have different practices. I am feeling better, thank you. I just saw the emergency doctor, and he said my wbc is going upwards. They are releasing me with a bunch of antibiotics. I have my appointment with my MO next Tuesday to see if my next infusion goes as planned next Thursday.

• heliosue
    heliosue Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2021
    Options

Just a quick update. I was pretty miserable (stomach cramps and constipation) on days two and three following that first infusion, but in my misery I forgot to take the Zofran and the Compazine. Several hours later I discovered that I had no symptoms of nausea and because the anti-nausea meds can contribute to constipation I'm just glad not to have to take them right now. No ill effects from the Neulasta, yet, unless that it still on the way.  I wish I knew how long the nausea lasts. I don't want to temp fate and stop too soon next time around.

Oh, yes. I definitely am feeling (or not feeling) the effects of neuropathy.

I'm not sure about what I should eat. Right now chicken broth and a few noodles sound okay but I probably need to try something else down the line.

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Heliosue, have you taken anything to counteract the constipation? I have taken Zofran before and know it is very constipating. The important thing to know here is what you said - how long must we take Zofran to overstep the nausea? Very afraid of the neuropathy because I cook for myself so fingers must function or I don't eat.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited March 2021
    Options

Had second TC yesterday. It went well tho they couldnt draw blood from my port, which was otherwise working fine. Chemo nurse tried me in a few different positions, and when I was flat she cleared it and got blood. Have my neulasta onpro, which will go off in about 2 hours. It worked well for me- my first week test after 1st round was 1.8 anc, my second test a week later was over 7.5. So it did work for my counts, no pain which I chalk up to the Claritin.

DAy 18 just like onco said my hair started thinning in clumps. Finally yesterday, 4 days later, I shaved my head. I am so happy I did. No longer clumps and hairs everywhere, scalp isnt tender/sore anymore, and no more is it gone yet? Is it gone yet? Don't look too horrible and have beanies and ball caps for going out.

Figure by tomorrow, day 2, Ill be feeling worse, but today is going well. I did ice my hands and feet again during the Taxatore, lasted about half hour again, longer for my hands. Also have been using nail oil which seems to make my nails feel less brittle. Good luck to you all.

• aram
    edited March 2021
    Options

Heliosue, you are on AC? I was nauseous with AC for 7 days straight. But fortunately I did not have constipation. Lots of water and dried prunes were big help for me.

Aviva5675, I hope you don't get bad SEs tomorrow. Do you halve 4 treatments? If congrats on being done with half of them!

• HopeHeal
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Aram, glad you were able to remedy the nausea. Did the MO provide meds for it and did they work?