Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Worried About Inflammatory Breast Cancer? Start here

Options
124»

Comments

• hopeful2020
    hopeful2020 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hello everyone - I was diagnosed with Triple positive on left breast in Sept 2020. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation 2021. I was fine all this while until had a mammogram in Aug 2023 last year for a different issue and a CT scan. Normal again. However, I found that the left breast was starting to get swollen and some small lump forming at site of radiation (which I was told maybe scar tissue) which could be massaged away. But it kept coming back so went to see BS in Dec 2023 and she said she was not concerned and ordered US and Mammogram. Both normal. Some thickening was noted on side of radiation. After this mammogram, the breast is now hard, firm and more swollen. Not much pain but just some needle piercing at times. It seemed to me that the mammogram was causing some injuries. I met BS yesterday and she suspects that either cancer has come back or it’s post radiation changes such as fibrosis. In the meanwhile, I went to a physical therapist who thought it might be lymphedema or seroma and was working on it. I have an MRI scheduled for Monday. Anyone in a similar situation and has gotten any result? Is this how IBC starts?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

@hopeful2020, we're sorry for the changes you're seeing and the worries you're experiencing, but glad to hear that you're scheduling an MRI. We hope those changes indicate a benign condition, but better to check it out!

Until you get responses from other members here, we wanted to provide you with some links to information about the symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer:

Inflammatory Breast Cancer and Benign Breast Conditions.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/understanding-a-breast-cancer-diagnosis/types-of-breast-cancer/inflammatory-breast-cancer.html https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/inflammatory-breast-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20355413

Hope this helps! Take care, and please keep us updated on how you're doing.

The Mods

• doeraemi
    doeraemi Member Posts: 3
    edited March 12
    Options

Hi, I am concerned I have IBC, symptoms started with my areola skin scaling/peeling and itchiness under my breast about 4 weeks ago. Got into my family doctor, Dr. R, Feb 15, he referred me to the doctor who performed my lumpectomies and lymph node surgery and I saw him, Dr. K, Feb 23, he did a biopsy on my areola which came back clear. I had a mammogram Friday past and the technician also took photos of my breast because of the slight edema in my skin on the underside of my breast which has been developing over the last 2 weeks.

I happened to have an appointment with Dr. R yesterday for an unrelated matter and he said the imaging came back clear, no signs of anything. I have a follow up appointment with Dr. K tomorrow and I’m just wondering what to ask him about. With nothing showing on the tests performed I don’t know what’s next to rule out IBC.

• hopeful2020
    hopeful2020 Member Posts: 78
    Options

@doeraemi - I am not sure anyone is watching this forum. I am still waiting for my diagnosis but posted in IBC lounge and got a couple of nice people to talk to @lw422 and @bsandra.

I would ask your doctor exactly what you said - how are they ruling out IBC and what is the diagnosis they are making for the edema? For me, they did an MRI based on the clinical exam. Biopsy is scheduled for Monday. Is there a rash or dimpling of the skin? If this is on the same breast as your lumpectomy, could it be starting of lymphadema?

• doeraemi
    Options

@hopeful2020 there is slight dimpling and pinking of the skin, it is the same breast as my lumpectomy.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

We agree with @hopeful2020, @doeraemi. Being direct with your doctors and asking what the next steps are to rule out IBC allows them the opportunity to explain their process. If the explanation is unclear, don't hesitate to let them know that you need more information to follow. Sometimes it can be helpful to remind them that this is information that allows you to manage your own anxiety. Separately, some have found it helpful to ask the doctor permission to record the appointment so they can review later on and absorb the information. It can be hard to process all of the medical information in the moment, especially when you are feeling particularly anxious. Please keep us posted as you continue to find out more information.

• doeraemi
    Options

Thank you 🙂