Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Wow, I *really* don't want to be in this group

Options
2»

Comments

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

glad the test is done and hoping you get unremarkable results asap

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

A few more vibes for a positive outcome <

• sunshinegal
    sunshinegal Member Posts: 67
    Options

The PET/CT came back clear! NO METASTASIS!!!!

I burst into tears at the news, my husband cried at the news, my sisters cried at the news. We've all carried SO MUCH STRESS waiting for these results. Now I feel like I can breathe a little bit.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    Options

Yay!! Congratulations!

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

Yes!

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

Im so happy! Wonderful news!

• sunshinegal
    Options

Met with the medical oncologist this afternoon, who says treatment plan is shaping up to be lumpectomy, radiation, hormone therapy. Possibly ovary suppression (I think that's what she said?) in addition to tamoxifen if genetic testing results indicate something. Or maybe if I have positive nodes? I don't quite remember. She thinks tumor is too small to do oncotype dx on it. Does this sound right?

I still need to have a chest MRI - plastic surgeon wants it, to check for implant ruptures - and MO will get another look at the nodes even though nothing in the nodes lit up on the PET.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

Great news! Best of luck with your treatment .

Heart

• sunshinegal
    Options

Thanks, Olma61!

So DanaFarber (DFCI) has started reviewing my info and their report differs a little bit from the original pathology:

• DFCI says it's Grade 2 (7 of 9 on modified Bloom-Richardson scale). (Orig report says grade 2-3)
    • DFCI says no DCIS present with note explaining why (orig says DCIS present alongside the IDC)
    • DFCI says Estrogen 95% STRONG staining (orig says MEDIUM staining)
    • DFCI says Progesterone 95% STRONG (orig says 80% MEDIUM)

These are interesting nuances. Don't think they change treatment decisions, but I wonder why they're different.

I see DFCI in person on the 19th...

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 677
    Options

Yaaay......I love hearing positive news! Best wishes going forward with all of your treatment.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

So glad for you! Good luck with the treatment and I hope you get all best case scenarios from here on out!

• sunshinegal
    Options

Is it normal for a lumpectomy to get scheduled 2 months after dx? This seems so long, I don't get it! I'm not having any pre-surgical treatment.

• sunshinegal
    Options

Had the 2nd opinion at Dana Farber today. They would be more conservative about the axillary nodes. In fact they had me do an axilla utrasound while I was there, which shows normal nodes / no indications of cancer. That, combined with the clear PET/CT scan might lead them to leave my nodes alone if the MO indicated he didn't need node status to determine treatment.

So that was the first thing that was different with them.

The second thing was that MO thinks he wouldn't do tamoxifen but instead Lupron & letrozole. I'll have to replay our recording of the meeting to remember the reason why.

Interesting stuff to mull over.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

Glad the pet scan was clear. Lupron plus Letrozole has been shown to be more effective which is why they may be suggesting that.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    Options

sunshinegal,

Forgive me for asking, but I didn’t read the thread. Did you have a single or double MX for the DCIS? Where was the second diagnosis found.. in the dcis breast or the other breast?

• sunshinegal
    Options

Rrobin0200,

I had single MX at the original dx in 2010, and prophylactic MX on the other side in 2015. The 2nd dx was on the DCIS side.

• sunshinegal
    Options

I did end up switching my care to Dana Farber, and my lumpectomy was yesterday. It all went well; the surgeon got the offending lesion out with margins all around. The plastic surgeon replaced the implant on that side which had ruptured (I had had no idea!). The only bad news is I will have a new scar where the lesion was removed, which may bring my plunging neckline days to an end. Darn! As promised, the surgeon did not remove any nodes. This was my preference and I'm aware others may have made a different decision in my shoes. I haven't met with the RO yet but I'm sure they will radiate the axilla.

Recovery is already so different from my MX. No drains, no dressings to change each day... my incisions were "glued" shut and there's just loose gauze over them. So far just a little discomfort, no real pain yet. My back surgery a few weeks ago was a more difficult recovery than this (so far).