Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2021 Surgeries

Options

Comments

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2021
    Options

To all the August surgeries- Best wishes to you all for a speedy and smooth recovery! I was really anxious a week before the surgery, but ready to have the breast and nodes removed. I was really scared about the cancer ramping up again. It has been a week since my mastectomy/node removal and I feel at peace. I had one of the drains removed yesterday and the top dressing removed from incision. My surgeon did a beautiful job, and I know it will look even better as time goes on. I don't miss that right breast at all and eventually I'll have the left breast removed. My peace comes from also being able to detect any trouble easier I hope, I just turned 60 and was staged at 3C triple negative IBC. I am so grateful to receive PCR, so the chemo does work, it was worth the days I felt bad and struggled.

It was a little painful having drain pulled out, so take ibuprofen or half a pain pill before appt, it wasn't bad, but after drain pull and being in car, etc. I needed something to take edge off pain and take nap after adventure out of house.

Blessings to you all!

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited July 2021
    Options

NatureYogi, I'm glad you are healing so well and already have one of the drains removed.

I pray that each of you will have successful surgeries and comfortable recoveries. My surgery was last month and I just remembered a very helpful surgery/SLNB tip that I wanted to pass forward.

Numbing Cream for Lymphatic Mapping Dye Injection ---

If you are having a sentinel node biopsy, they will give you a lymphatic mapping dye injection appointment a day before surgery. Well, thanks to a very kind soul on these boards, I found out in time, that injection is painful. She recommended EMLA cream so I told my surgeon the cat was out of the bag and I wanted numbing cream. He granted my request for a prescription for EMLA cream (contains Lidocaine and Prilocane). You apply it to the nipple area (and surrounding area for good measure) within an hour to an hour and a half before the injection. After liberally applying the cream, I covered the breast with plastic wrap and taped it on, keeping it on securely under my bra. That cream sure helped! The mapping wasn't painful at all.

I had a lumpectomy with a sentinel node biopsy. Out of the eleven nodes my surgeon removed, six were clear and he got good margins so my surgeon is confident we got it all. I am about to begin seven weeks of radiation to my left breast and underarm, and I was worried too about radiating that side. However, I found a wonderful radiation center near me that assured me about the technology they use to protect your heart and lungs from radiation. The machine tracks with your breathing, and if it senses that your heart or lungs are in the way, the radiation beam will turn off. My RO is confident it will not cause issues for my heart or my lungs. He says I might see some scar tissue on an x-ray, but that I can still climb Kilimanjaro without breathing issues. I just wanted to assure you about left side radiation if that is potentially on the menu for later.

Oh, and I took a trip two weeks to the day after my surgery and both oncs approved it as long as I wore a compression sleeve, so it can be done. I drank tons of water on the flight and kept moving, and walking a lot when reaching my destination. I had resumed systemic enzymes on an empty stomach at double strength the morning after surgery (have to stop them a week prior). They break down scar tissue and lower swelling and inflammation post-surgery.

Blessings to you as you prepare for surgery,

Esther

• Easymac08
    Easymac08 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2021
    Options

nature Yogi! Congratulations on pcr!! That is my dream. I am triple negative too. But idc.

My bilateral mastectomy to flat is August 6th. I had such trouble making this decision! There are newer studies suggesting lumpectomy with rads can possibly give slightly better long term results than mastectomy without rads for triple negative patients. But, in the long run, as I am only 35, I'd like to have the beasts removed so that there are less likely surprises in the future as the risk of second cancer goes up slightly each year. And my rad onco said even though my tumor was too small (3.6cm) and not in the 7 lymph nodes biopsied before chemo, that if I elected to have rads post mastectomy, he would push for me to get them, unless I have PCR. and pcr is my dream. So, we'll see what happens. Have been having second thoughts ONLY related to my desire to get radiation if it is whats best. I'm done having kids (found lump during nursing my second but thank God he was already 2 years old. Easier to stop). I think no sensation will be the hardest part for me. Ay!

What happens at the pre -op anesthesia appointment? Mine is on Monday.

Also check out the group STOMP (sisterhood of the traveling mastectomy products) on Facebook of you need any items)

• NatureYogi
    edited July 2021
    Options

Easymac08-Please keep us posted on your surgery! Keep saying the mantra "I want PCR" or "NED" Pray for it! Get ready for surgery with hydration and plenty of veggies and fruit.

At my pre op, they just took blood and asked what medications/supplements I took. I saw anesthesiologist the morning of surgery, He asked me a couple questions and gave me a relaxer since I was nervous.

• HummingbirdAZ
    HummingbirdAZ Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2021
    Options

Sorry for the late response, been SO busy getting ready for Tuesday. Yes, the surgeon is going to take both areas during the lumpectomy and node dissection with just two incisions (hopefully). The doctor suggested an MRI biopsy but I have pre-existing implants which would make that almost impossible. So, I get to have the radiologist (only male) in the OR guiding her to the second area via ultrasound, as well as a plastic surgeon. I decided to have the implants removed at the same time. Too many stories about shrinkage and movement during radiation and I believe I'm looking at 6 weeks once healed. Maybe my old almost A cups will allow me to sleep on my stomach again in a few months...

I feel ready, although my son who was coming out to accompany me just got Covid ,so now I have my daughter who has a much weaker stomach flying in Monday. Good luck to all the fabulous ladies on this thread! We are powerful She-Woman-Warriors ready to win the battle!!!

• Bookpusher
    Bookpusher Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird,

I am one day ahead of you, going in tomorrow, Aug 2nd. Be SO glad to wake up after surgery tomorrow and have that behind me. I hope you are like me and going in bright and early. Have to be there at 6:15, will do the dye injection first. I asked about the numbing cream and it was a no. Said to put nothing on my breast after I wash with the soap they gave me. I hope they numb me first, but after 3 biopsies in one day I tell myself it will be ok.

Wishing everyone a successful surgery, smooth recovery, and great path results.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird, Spalermo111, Bookpusher, MP1965, SherriM, PamEP and EasyMac (and anyone else having surgery this week)--good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly for you all! Let us know how you are as soon as you feel up to it. My best wishes for an excellent outcome for all of you.

NatureYogi--hope you are healing well and feeling better these days.

• TNBCWoman
    TNBCWoman Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello, I am new here. I have TNBC, and I am scheduled for a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy(right Breast) on 8/23. I have existing breast implants that are about 20 years old that need to be replaced. I'm thinking of having the lumpectomy and the implant exchange at the same time. I will have radiation after. Is it better to wait until I'm completed with radiation and go in for the exchange after I'm healed? I understand that skin shrinks from radiation and the breast can capusluate.(Spelling). I am super scared and not sure what to do. I really don't want to go under general anesthesia twice. I just want this nightmare over, you know? I'm 61 and live in FL with my partner who has prostate cancer. What a pair!

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

TNBCWoman--welcome to the place none of us wanted to be. I'm sorry you are faced with surgery and radiation. I don't know the answer to your question, but I recommend that you start a new thread with your concerns so that people who have had a similar situation can respond. (They are more likely to see your post as a new thread.)

I assume you have consulted with a surgeon about the upcoming procedures; what does he/she say about the swapping of your implants? I have read that radiation can affect implants but I really have no knowledge about it. My very best wishes for a good outcome to you and to your partner.

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited August 2021
    Options

Praying for successful surgeries including yours tomorrow, Bookpusher. Sorry they didn't allow the numbing cream. I guess when it's the day of surgery, they want nothing on there since you are probably washing with antibacterial soap before getting there anyway. You'll get through all of it and be home before you know it. You're going in at the same time I did, super early. Afterwards, I relaxed on a couch in our family room, in and out of sleep for the rest of the afternoon while my family kept me company.

Blessings,

Esther

• HummingbirdAZ
    edited August 2021
    Options

Bookpusher--Good luck to you tomorrow and be grateful you are first up. Mine is noon on Tuesday so I'll start out hangry. I'm getting the SAVI Scout inserted tomorrow for mapping so won't need any numbing cream and am intrigued to learn how that all works. Maybe you can ask for a little relaxer first? Might take the edge off.

TNBCWoman--I also have older implants and decided to have them removed (both sides) during the lumpectomy. My plastic surgeon said it most likely will contract at least some and end up higher than the other side with radiation. She said most women opt for some kind of corrective surgery after all is done to even things out. I don't think I'm going to replace them but always have that option later on if I change my mind. It was a hard decision for sure and I know I'll likely need some "fixin" at some point but that seems like the least of worries right now.

LW422--Thanks for the good wishes!

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2021
    Options

Best of luck to you on your surgery day, Bookpusher!

• barbojoy
    barbojoy Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2021
    Options

hi Easymac08. I just had DMX 07/28- I opted for skin sparing with tissue expanders for reconstruction later. I can tell you that for me, the worst pains I have are the tissue expanders and the inside-me part of the drains. I cried a lot 2 nights ago and just wished that I had gone flat instead. The pain was at its worst and I just could not imagine reconstruxtion surgery being worth it.

I hope that your Surgery goes well and that there is minimal pain. I had nerve blocker injections pre-op which I think really helped the first 24 hours. I recommend them if they are an option. Keep us posted.

• TNBCWoman
    TNBCWoman Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you so much for the response and suggestions. I'm happy that 'm here with everyone.

• rawarrior
    rawarrior Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2021
    Options

NatureYogi - Thank you for your post. Your comments about being at peace after your surgery were comforting to read as I await my surgery on 8/5. I've been trying to envision what it will be like to have one breast gone. Also thanks for the tip on taking ibuprofen or something similar before drains are taken out.

Esther01 - Thank you for the tip regarding the EMLA cream. That gives me an important question to add to my list to ask at the intake/pre op appointment I will be having tomorrow!

A routine mammogram in early June turned into a breast biopsy and then the diagnosis of IDC HER2 in the right breast in two locations (2 mm and 1.75 mm). I had the option of a mastectomy or lumpectomy. After much reading (I so appreciate those that have posted on this site) and soul searching I decided on a mastectomy (sentinel node surgery will also be done). Since the surgeon will need to take a substantial amount of tissue because there are two locations and I'm pretty small breasted, I would be left with a very disfigured breast which would need reconstruction. Some factors that were part of my decision making process: I'd prefer not to have another surgery, wanting to minimize the chance of possible recurrence in the area (there are already 2 tumors) and to avoid radiation if possible, Not sure if I will have to have chemo - that will be determined after surgery. So now I wait for Thursday (8/5) and try to prepare as much as possible. I so appreciate this community and place to share what is going on with each of us this month. Wishing you all a speedy and comfortable recovery.

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

rawarrior--sorry that you find yourself here, but it's nice to meet you. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday and hoping you'll have a successful surgery and an easy recovery. Take care and let us know how it goes.

• NatureYogi
    edited August 2021
    Options

Bookpusher, How are you doing? Just thinking about you, I know it has been only a day since surgery.

rawarrior-Best wishes to you on your surgery. I found recovery easier than what I thought it would be. Just don't over do it.

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2021
    Options

rawarrior,

Many thoughts go to you on Thursday. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health!

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited August 2021
    Options

I am a year out from diagnosis. I started chemo last august, finished in November, had a lumpectomy with bilateral reconstruction in December and pathology showed PCR. Then I did rads, which I finished in April. Since April I have had infusions of herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks for HER2+. Next Friday is my last infusion and I am finally ready to put cancer behind me and move on to maintenance check ins with my doctors.

I had my one year post diagnosis mammogram last week and was told that the surgeon missed one of my biopsy clips, which were all supposed to be accounted for after surgery. The clip itself is harmless of course, except that this one spent several weeks hanging out with the bad seed cancer cells in tumor central. There is a small chance that despite the PCR and rads the clip could be harboring fugitive cancer cells who are just waiting to make their villainous return to the spotlight.

the surgeon said the clip needs to come out, and I am all for it. So next Monday I will go in for imagery guided wire placement (yay more mammogram machine!) and then trundle over to out patient surgery for what will hopefully be a quick and easy procedure.

At this point I’m just glad they could get me scheduled quickly so that I can still finish treatment next Friday. Here’s hoping to another clear pathology result after this surgery.

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi again, Melbo! I'm glad you checked in so you can report on how the surgery goes. I hope that it will be quick and easy, and that you get that clean path report!

• Bookpusher
    Bookpusher Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi gals,

2 days out from my BMX. Doing well, minimal pain. I only have one drain per side, so thankful for that. My drainage has been pretty low, much less than I expected. Dr said everyone is different, so hopefully it is ok. Maybe I’ll get lucky and get drains out at my follow up next week. I have started getting little pin prick sensations - kind of like an electrical current going through my chest. Anybody experience that?

Wishing everyone well and a smooth recovery!

• NatureYogi
    edited August 2021
    Options

Bookpusher, glad to hear you are doing well and at home. I get those little zaps every now and then, nothing major. I still have one drain in, probably coming out Friday or this Monday. You may want to take 1/2 pain pill or ibuprofen before they take drains out, doesn't hurt super bad, but that area is tender and then you have the car ride there and back home.

Take care!

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

rawarrior--thinking of you today! I hope all goes well and you will have an easy recovery.

BookPusher--thanks for checking in. I'm glad you are feeling pretty good, considering. Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes.

NatureYogi--happy to hear that you are still doing well. How exciting that you might have drains out tomorrow!! I know you are ready for that to happen.

My best to all!

• HummingbirdAZ
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi Girls,

Checking in post surgery. So glad you had an easy time Bookpusher! Mine wasn't too bad, although I ended up staying in the hospital two nights due to severe nausea and vomiting. That was NOT fun. Today I'm finally home and get to take off the bandages, so might be a little traumatic.

Melbo- my surgeon also lost a marker. I hope that doesn't mean I'll need to go back but am glad I read this so I can ask at followup. Good luck to you.

Hope everyone is doing well and recovering/preparing from/for surgery.

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird--glad you checked in and that things went OK for you. Sorry about the nausea, though. Take it easy and let us know how it goes.

All this lost clip talk is beginning to worry me. In my last ultrasound the tech wasn't able to find the clip in my cancerous lymph node, which they said was "good" because the node had shrunk back to normal. Unfortunately, I will have to have a seed implanted before surgery when they do a repeat US to try to find that clip. The surgeon said the seed is necessary to make sure she finds the node with the clip!! Argh.

• pamep
    pamep Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2021
    Options

Tomorrow I have a second surgery to gain wider margins and to take out a couple of sentinel lymph nodes. The resultant path report should be very telling. At this point I don't know my cancer stage. I worry about the "Lymphovascular Invasion: Present" in my first report but have read in one of the discussions here that this is not definitive in regards to the lymph nodes. It is a bit disheartening to have just recovered from my first surgery only to have re-excision, but I am looking forward to its completion so that I can recover once again and begin treatment. I went to my yoga class today with the intention to be calm and confident. Yoga is my go-to for body, mind, and spirit.

I still feel pretty new to BC but I have gained so much information from this board, reading, and the web generally. Thank you everyone who posts here. Our shared stories have helped me understand this cancer and get a grip on what's happening.

Supportive thoughts and hugs to all having surgeries and best wishes for easy recoveries and clean path reports!

• EminGA2018
    EminGA2018 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi LW422,

I have a DMX with reconstruction scheduled for 8-24. I’m nervous with all these COVID restrictions that I won’t be allowed to have my husband with me and hope that’s not the case for anyone here..but otherwise..I’m at peace with it.

Wishing you all luck for smooth surgeries with quick recoveries!!

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

PamEP--good luck tomorrow!! Let us know how it goes. So sorry that you are having a re-excision so soon but hopefully this will be the end of it. Best wishes for an easy recovery and good path results.

EminGA2018--hello there. I see you are from St. Simons, what a beautiful place. (I'm originally from S. GA but inland near Valdosta.) You and I will be having our surgeries a day apart; I'm the 23rd. My best wishes to you and I hope your husband can accompany you. I'm a patient at MD Anderson in Houston and they have only recently opened up for one visitor to accompany patients. Take care and let us know how it's going.

• EminGA2018
    EminGA2018 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2021
    Options

thanks LW422! Wishing you the best of luck too! I know exactly where Valdosta is!! We moved to Saint Simons a few years ago and it is very pretty! I’m so glad your hospital has opened up to allow a visitor with you:-)

• pamep
    pamep Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you LW422, and good luck on the 23rd!