Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2021 Surgeries

Options

Comments

• HummingbirdAZ
    HummingbirdAZ Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2021
    Options

Sarahvancouver- Ugh, worst nightmare, so sorry to hear but glad you will get complete results this time.

PamEP- Good luck on your pathology. Sending good mojo.

I got my drains out yesterday, thankfully. The nerve pain in my arm is actually getting worse this week and I see that can be a common thing. I got some CBD patches and if the PA says it's ok to use, will start on one of those. Should have path results this week, which is very stressful. Worst discomfort is definitely the underarm!

• Easymac08
    Easymac08 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2021
    Options

hey everyone. Was just catching up on all the posts! I'm doing well. My drain output is low. So, maybe I can get them out sooner than next Wednesday! I do hope so. My path report came back quickly because I had pathology complete response. I take it as a miracle. And am amazed.

My chest is so numb still, and my right arm is also numb! Has anyone heard of that?

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited August 2021
    Options

Easymac--how wonderful to get that PCR!! I think the numbness is quite common and can sometimes last for a few months. Take care.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited August 2021
    Options

Welcome, sarahvancouverisland. We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we hope you find this to be a source of support as you continue down this road.

The Mods

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited August 2021
    Options

Sarahvancouverisland-Sorry you have to go back for surgery, but I know it is scary not knowing where the cancer cells are. Keep us posted on your recovery. I had single mastectomy, took it easy for about a week, I am now back to full range of motion. After week and a half, I was able to put on loose pull over tops. I'd like to get out and walk, but it is way too hot here! It has now been almost 3 weeks post surgery, my coobie bra is not comfortable!

• janewhite
    janewhite Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2021
    Options

@sarahvancouverisland a similar thing just happened to me. I had my lumpectomy last week, and now I find out that instead of one site of DCIS I have at least three, one with positive margins, and the doctor is concerned about the possibility of more.

So now I am going to get a 1-side mastectomy instead, not sure when. You were able to get it in just 4 weeks more, that's good to hear.

Best wishes for tomorrow, Sarah!

• pamep
    pamep Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2021
    Options

sarahvancouverisland: Yes, Sarah, good thoughts to you for tomorrow! I hope your surgery goes well and that recovery is smooth.

Janewhite: Sorry to hear that you will have to undergo another surgery. I have had three breast surgical procedures since my diagnostic mammo and US on June 10. I am becoming, or have become, allergic. But it is good to get over those bumps in the road.

Easymac: pCR. Fantastic!

HummingbirdAZ: No question the underarm discomfort is worse than the breast excision. I mentioned to my surgeon that the last surgery was tough and she responded that was because she had to go way in there for node removal. I am experiencing occasional sharp pain from underarm down the back of my arm to my hand. And that was only for sentinel biopsy, not axial node dissection. Good mojo back to your re the path report.

• HummingbirdAZ
    edited August 2021
    Options

Pathology back just now. Clear margins, the second lesion was benign. That was the good news. 13 of 15 nodes came back cancerous, so chemo here I come. Honestly, I would have rather been told they needed to go back and do a complete mastectomy instead of this.....

• Easymac08
    Easymac08 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2021
    Options

hey hummingbird, im sorry about your news and your upcoming chemo. I did chemo before surgery because of being triple negative. 16 rounds! Just remember all of us have different experiences as far as type of chemo needed and side effects. It is hard, but your story will be your own.

• pamep
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird, disappointing news. I am so sorry. Good about the margins and that second lesion. Take care of yourself. Hug.

• EminGA2018
    EminGA2018 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird,

I’m so sorry to hear about the chemo. I’m so glad you got through the surgery okay and they achieved what they set out to do though. I’m sure you are in good hands. Wishing you all the best!!

• EminGA2018
    EminGA2018 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2021
    Options

Welcome CGLion!!! Your surgery is the day before mine! How are your nerves leading up to surgery? This board is a huge comfort and a great resource for information..I hope you feel supported in this process. Wishing you luck

• NatureYogi
    edited August 2021
    Options

Easymac08-Congrats on the PCR! I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and my chest is still somewhat numb, same with underarm. Hope you get the drains out soon, life gets easier.

Hummingbird-Sorry to hear about the nodes, please keep up posted on the chemo. Take care and nurture yourself.

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

SarahVancouverIsland--thinking of you today and hope that everything goes well. Check in when you can.

Hummingbird--sorry about the nodes. Chemo is hard but do-able. I had chemo first due to IBC so thank God I'm done with that. You can do it!

Hope everyone who's recovering is feeling OK. Take care of yourselves.

• Bookpusher
    Bookpusher Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2021
    Options

aw, Hummingbird...I am really, really sorry you have to do the chemo. Sending big prayers your way. Please keep us updated.

Got my drains out today. Huge relief, already feel better! Still very sore where they went in, but hopefully after a few more days things will be more comfortable. I am one of the really fortunate ones - my nodes and margins were clear - no chemo. No hormonal treatment as I am ER/PR negative.

Good luck to everyone still facing surgery.

• NatureYogi
    edited August 2021
    Options

Bookpusher-Sounds like you are healing and coming along good, getting the drains out make life more easier and comfortable. In a couple days you will feel even better!

Anyone with upcoming surgeries, I know you will be relieved to get it over!

• sarahvancouverisland
    sarahvancouverisland Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks everyone for the kinds words, I'm blown away by how supportive the breast cancer community is - we all find ourselves in such a horrible situation yet the silver lining is all these wonderful people you meet along the way :) Surgery went well yesterday and I'm much more nauseous and uncomfortable this time around, but that's to be expected I guess! Finding the drains gross but oddly fascinating..

Easymac08-Congrats on the PCR! That is truly amazing. I hope you celebrated!

Hummingbird- oh I'm so sorry to hear about the chemo, hope it goes as smoothly as it can. Take good care.

Natureyogi- great to hear you're back to full range of motion, that's fantastic! Too hot to walk at the moment here too, but looking forward to getting out soon, hope you can too.. are you doing yoga by any chance?!

Janewhite - I have a strange sense of relief having had the mastectomy now, like I've done the most I can, I hope you end up feeling that way too. Fingers crossed you're in for your op soon!

xo

• 1982m
    1982m Member Posts: 224
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello Folks,

I had my surgery yesterday- left lower quadrant lumpectomy and sentinel node dissection. I thought I’d share for others waiting for similar surgery.

Both the wire insertion and radioactive dye were way better then I anticipated. There was some pain with the radioactive dye injection, but I was brief and tolerable. Wire insertion I barely felt. They did a mammogram after to check placement which was painless.

Surgery was about 1-1.5hrs. Because my tumour was left lower inner quadrant I have two incisions. Right out of surgery I had 5/10 pain and got morphine and gravel. I only got sent home with Tylenol as pain control and that’s been fine. The sentinel node site hurts 2/10. Tylenol doesn’t really help, but it’s fine and livable. It’s achy and not sharp.

I actually have a lot of movement in my left arm, maybe bc my tumour was inner? But I have a good level of movement. Really tied today, but overall way better then what I thought it would be. I even slept on my back, which I am a left sided sleeper usually.

Best of luck to other August surgery’s. Lots of love and light to you all!

• marvies
    marvies Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2021
    Options

Sarahvancouverisland and 1982M - Good to hear that both of your surgeries went well. Thank you for sharing your experience and I wish you the best with your recovery.

• HummingbirdAZ
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks everyone, not a great day. but such a supportive group. Got a cancer upgrade from Stage 1B to stage 3B today :(. Once all healed from surgery, I'll be looking at chemo for the following 20 weeks. There goes the holidays!!! Gotta laugh, right??

Happy to hear from you, Bookpusher. You are lucky those drains are out, BEST feeling in all of this!

• NatureYogi
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird, I'm so sorry about the cancer "upgrade", I know it sucks and in the world of cancer things can change quickly. Once you find out your chemo plan and drugs, get on the chemo threads or start one for the month you will be going to chemo. It was a huge support for me when I was going through my AC/Taxol rounds. It wasn't fun, but it is doable and I met some wonderful caring nurses that took good care of me. I'm 8 weeks post chemo and I can honestly say I feel good and my energy is building back up.

Hang in there and let us know what the plan is for your treatment.

• pamep
    edited August 2021
    Options

Yes, Hummingbird, hang in there. NatureYogi shared a reassuring outlook from the other side of chemo. That she is feeling good and gaining back her energy are words we all want to hear.

Here's a link to an uplifting story about a woman circus performer who had Stage III BC and is back to performing. She hangs from one arm from an aerial ring, if you can imagine that: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9881289/Aqua-aerial-artist-reveals-able-return-circus-act-breast-cancer.html

• 1982m
    1982m Member Posts: 224
    edited August 2021
    Options

hummingbird- I’m sorry about the news of the upgrade. Lots of love and light to you.

• Bookpusher
    Bookpusher Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hate it you were upgraded. All I can say is it really stinks. You do have lots of us rooting for you. Hope you have a good supportive friend that lends you the emotional support you need. Hugs and more hugs being sent your way.

• marvies
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hummingbird,

I'm so sorry about your upgrade. I just wanted to send you hugs and tell you I'm thinking of you and hope that you are healing well from surgery.
    20 weeks of chemo sounds awful but as NatureYogi has stated once you are on the other side it will get much better. I have not started treatment for BC but 12 years ago I had chemo before a Stem Cell Transplant. While of course I cannot compare that to what any of you ladies go through with BC chemo I just wanted to say that it was doable and once I was on the other side it put my other disease into long term remission. You got this! Lots of love and hugs.

• HummingbirdAZ
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you all for being so supportive. What a wonderful find this group is! I'll likely know more by the weekend but in the meantime, praying for all of you looking at surgery soon and sending love and good wishes. And for everyone recovering, sending good mojo for great results and quick drain removal. We are warrior women!! We will win the battle!!

• pamep
    edited August 2021
    Options

I went to my surgeon today for my post-lumpectomy sentinel node biopsy exam and path report finding. I was so nervous that my BP was way high, but what to expect when walking the plank. My surgeon was late as usual, but she entered waving around the path report, and after examining my surgery wounds (both doing okay but still sensitive, especially the node one), she finally said "Good news, your nodes are clear!" No invasive cancer present in nodes or biopsied breast mass. I am so relieved. One detail, a fly in the ointment, for me to pay attention to: ADH, two foci, each <1 mm, "one may represent low grade DCIS as pagetoid spread in a duct." But that was in the biopsied margin, so it was removed.

I am referred to an oncologist for further consultation and treatment.

I wish everyone pain-free surgery and good post-op path results.

• marvies
    edited August 2021
    Options

PamEP - That is good news, I can only imagine how relieved you must feel. Hope your wounds will heal well and be less sensitive soon.

• bco123
    bco123 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2021
    Options

hi, I am one week post mastectomy (profilactic for LCIS), and the right drain is killing me. The surgeon put it so it twists both before exiting my skin and right at the point of exit, and he also made it exit way to thwarts the back (though I have no lymph node dissection), so it catches several muscles and ligaments and feels as if a butcher’s hook is threaded through my chest and twisted. I can not breathe at all on this side - the top of the “hook” is pressing against my ribs (I suspect that is from cramming the expander at the right lower edge), and I am in pain whether I move or not.

on the left, the drain is well positioned, but the expander feels way to big and cramped in one corner (like a child’s ball but with sharp edges), so it is poking me all the time. I heal quickly, so the rest of that breast has healed but the poking from the expander is creating irritation that will probably be here as long as the expander is here.

I was in good shape before the operation, but by now my back hurts nonstop and I can hardly breathe, let alone start gentle arm exercise with these painful spots in both breasts. I also try to avoid pain meds as much as possible, but the only way to sleep a little through the twisted muscles and poking is with a nightly ibuprofen or acetaminophen. The rest of the breasts feel “fine” - soreness, tightness from growing scar tissue, just what I would expect from a normal healing

When I was a child my mom made me sow a lot - to keep me occupied and develop patience and fine motor skills. I bet my PS’ mom did not even teach him to sow a button. At the minimum, he should flatten the expanders before sowing them, not push the extra in a ball, and making the drain turn 90 degrees at the point of exit without a reason is outright cruelty! I trusted my BS’s choice and did not shop around for a PS, which was a clear mistake. He never explained to me why I can’t do direct to implant (which is what my BS was suggesting), not explained anything else for that matter.

• lw422
    edited August 2021
    Options

BCO123--that sounds miserable, bless you. I hope those drains can come out soon and you won't have to suffer so much. I think doctors should get a big dose of their own medicine!

To all in recovery; I hope you are doing well and healing. Let us know how it's going.

My surgery is coming up on Monday; to say I dread it is a gross understatement. I keep trying to imagine my life without that right boob and it makes me so sad. Cancer takes so much from us. :sad: