Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What test followups after initial DCIS 0??

Options
breastquest
breastquest Member Posts: 7

So, a year and a half ago, had initial diagnosis of dcis, stage 0, very small---lumpectomy. I have had 6 mos. 3-D mammo's. Just had my last one in March it was ok. However, because I didn't want to take the tamox, and I asked the surgeon about follow up going forward, he suggested MRI. (I did have one when I was diagnosed too). So, now I'm due for it in a few weeks.

So, after a very small DCIS, what followup tests/schedule did you have? 6mos, 3 mos??? Mri or just mammos?

Comments

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited August 2021
    Options

I've even seen people talk about 6 months for one and 6 months having the other for 5 years or so... I had BMX so no scan follow-up; only manual exams twice per year for now unless something suspicious is noted.... Hopefully those with actual experience with DCIS lumpectomy follow-up will chime in at some point....

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had the alternating mammo/mri at six month intervals like LivinLife described. After 5 years, just an annual mammo. I just realized that I don't list treatment! I will fix that but in the meantime - I had radiation and took tamoxifen for 4.5 years.

• dvcmom3
    dvcmom3 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2022
    Options

I had DCIS stage 0 as well . I had a lumpectomy with radiation and am currently at 2 &1/2 years into tamox. I go for a yearly visit to my Dr with mamos & sonograms each year . This past week we had a scare with the same breast with a small set of cells again . This time we did a biopsy and were lucky enough not to have any cancerous cells . I say speak to the dr and see what they feel is the best choice for your situation , each person has different reasons to take the path they choose with regards to Tamox , radiation and such . I really also discussed the options with my husband who helped me through all my decisions.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2022
    Options

approaching 5 years after a bilateral mastectomy due to DCIS. For the first 1.5 years, I was seen by my breast oncologist surgeon every 3 months. After that, I’ve been seen every 6 months. I have ultrasounds done at almost every appointment since diagnosis.