Super Confused: Reconstruction vs Flat
I am extremely new and learning all the terms, jargons, abbreviations here. Please excuse me for any ignorance.
43 yr old, F.
Right: Stage 1, grade 3 Microinvasive. DCIS. Macrocalcification span of 8 CM
Left: Microcalcifications. 11 mm mass. Multiple cysts are Benign.
Genetic Test: Negative.
Scheduled for: Bilateral Mastectomy, Nipple Sparing with Lymph node sentinel on March 10, 2023
I met with Dr Manahan, she recommended to wait until the C is fully out and then work on the reconstruction.
I am confused:
1. Do I really need Reconstruction? I dont want implants (just terrified of a foreign object inside me). I dont have alot of fat, PS said she could 'try' and get fat / tissue from tummy. What does try mean? what if she cannot get enough fat during the surgery?
2. Do I need to let the surgeon know if I want to get reconstruction or not during the Mastectomy surgery?
3. If I choose to go Flat during Mastectomy, is it possible to get reconstruction later?
4. Is it advisable to do Nipple Sparing? What if Cancer cells have expanded to Nipple?
5. What are the practical difficulties after Mastectomy? Will I be able to do my personal work after the surgery? How long will I be bed ridden?
6. What are some of the things you all got before leaving for the surgery?
7. How much does the sex life get impacted after this journey? I have no signs of menopause and regular with my cycle right now? Not sure if that is going to change after this too.
8. Absolutely terrified of the reconstruction process, recovery and multiple surgeries. I practically dont care of what others think about how I look. But wondering if I am making the right decision. My husband doesnt care which one I pick too. So not able to make the decision.
Any help or suggestions would be extremly helpful.
Thanks and Love to you all