Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CT and Lung Nodules

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,220

Hi Marge, Good to hear from you. Two months is a long wait but when things are not a priority they get put off. I don’t blame you for wanting to know if the left nodules are gone.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,274

bookworm, I’m sorry to hear it’s stage IV. I hope the PET scan confirms it’s only that node.

• bookworm14
    bookworm14 Member Posts: 116

Maggie15,

That is good news….glad it was not cancer! I appreciate the wishes and hugs. Let us know about that CT.

He seemed fairly positive especially if it is just the one lymph node so I am going to focus on that.

Margecandoit,

He is hoping to have the treatment plan on Wednesday as he is going on vacation the following week.

That seems like a really long time for results. I would definitely make a phone call. I hope they have gone away and are not an issue for you.

• bookworm14

cindyny,

Keeping my fingers crossed!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 803

bookworm14 Sorry you joined the club but sounds like you have the perfect attitude. My hope is that you have been surveilled closely and that it's a lone metastasis. Your MO seems to be right on top of things and optimistic. Agree …go with that thought!

Maggie Glad to hear your good news!

• bookworm14

cookie54,

Yes, not a the club I wanted to join, but if I’m in it then I will try to make the best of it. My MO and pulmonologist stayed on top of this and I am extremely thankful they decided to biopsy that nodule. If not, the who knows what could have happened. I have promised myself that I will stay as positive as possible as I do not want my family to be worried….and it helped last time.

• bookworm14

So I had all my scans this week. Thankfully, the cancer is only located in the paratrachael lymph node so I am considered Ogliometastatic. The left and right hilar lit up, but the doctor said we cannot know what it is and it would not change the treatment. Still waiting on HER results, but it is like my original cancer with ER/PR positive. I will be on Faslodex and Kisqali. They may try to get the lymph node out so I have to meet with thoracic surgeon to check on that. Meet with RO on Thursday to see about radiation…they marked me up on Tuesday for this. For being a bad diagnosis of Stage IV, this is the best diagnosis

• maggie15

bookworm, If it had to be stage IV oligometastatic is good news. It would be a plus if they could remove that node but it might not be worth it if it caused too much damage. We fret waiting for the results of all those surveillance scans but your situation shows how important they are when progression is caught early. I hope the Kisqali and Faslodex kick it to the curb with minimal side effects. Sending good vibes your way.

• cookie54

bookworm Yes, We'll take that as good news in the Stage IV category. I took am considered Oglio having had less than 5 lung mets. Agree with maggie on the lymph node removal, obviously much to be discussed. They may want to see how the node reacts from your systemic treatment first. Hope is that it knocks it back and no surgery needed. Fingers crossed , sending strength and hope your way.

• bookworm14

maggie15 and cookie54,

I’m going to do some searching on the removal of the lymph. The MO said if we can get it out then it just makes it better for a hopefully NEAD sooner rather than later

The MO also admitted it was good that we kept an eye on this and that the Pulmonologist did a thorough biopsy or we could have had much worse news later on. I thanked the Pulm surgeon several times when he called me for the results.
    Thank you both for always being there to post or respond. I appreciate you both and hope to be able to post some positive info in the near future.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,274

I’m unfamiliar with it and I had to look up oligomestastatic on google. It sounds like the lesser of stage IV; few tumors; and from the original cancer. For being bad, like you said, this is the best. ((HUGS))

• bookworm14

Cindyny,

Thanks! Yes this is the best diagnosis if it has to be Stage 4 according to my doctor. H still wants to keep a very close eye on it since I have BRCA2 as well. Just crazy, I did the hysterectomy, the DMX, and on Tamoxifen….still got the receptors as original cancer of ER positive. I thought I would have been pretty much covered for not getting it again.

• maggie15

bookworm, You can do everything you can to prevent a recurrence but there is no magic bullet that will definitely kill those stray cells. I really hate it when anyone (including doctors) says something won’t happen because the probability is so low. I have ended up with the “almost impossible” result often enough that I feel jinxed by such a pronouncement. It’s not your fault, it’s cancer’s fault.

• bookworm14
    edited July 26

maggie15,

Thank you for posting that. I have been fighting that feeling as I did have to take small breaks from Tamoxifen. The “almost impossible” results has happened me a couple of times as well!
    My doctor said something similar. He said the cancer’s job is to fight to come back and unfortunately in my case it fought past my defenses. He also said being BRCA2 positive did not help at all.

• margecandoit
    margecandoit Member Posts: 155

bookworm- glad you got your plan. I haven’t heard of oligomestastatic but sounds like they found it early. I think you did everything you could and be proud that you kept at it. I think I would want it removed also.

• bookworm14
    edited July 27

Thanks margecandoit!

Met with the Rad Onco and he says if we can get it removed the. He hat would be great along with a couple of other nodes to sample. If only in that one node then he agreed with me that possibly hold off on rads that way I have an available treatment option open. Still have to get with my MO to see if he agrees. I meet with the surgeon on 8/7 to see if he will do the surgery as the node is right up against my trachea and aorta. If he will not, then I will have 15-20 rad sessions. I also have to attend a class for the meds.
    Hope everyone is doing well!

• maggie15

Hi bookworm,

I hope the thoracic surgeon can remove the node but its position sounds tricky. These surgeons can do amazing things though. A thoracic surgeon helped remove my thyroid because it extended into the mediastinum and was compressing the trachea. My re-growing thyroid is currently deviating my trachea. An endo surgeon told me radiofrequency ablation to shrink it would burn the windpipe so I guess another surgery is in my future. At least your Rad Onc has a backup plan.

A class for meds is a good idea. They will probably give you tips for warding off the side effects caused by those drugs so you can prevent trouble before it starts.

It's good to hear that you have a plan underway. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Maggie

• bookworm14

maggie15,

I had no idea that the thyroid could grow back like that. Hoping your next surgery for that is painless and hopefully the last one for you!

• bookworm14

Well we have some change ups on meds.
    I was supposed to start Kisqali and Faslodex, but my ECG came back borderline Prolonged QT at 480. The Kisqali can caused Prolong QT so now being switched to Ibrance. Any one take this combo?

• maggie15

Hi bookworm,

I'm glad you had the ECG before starting treatment. There is an active thread for Ibrance which is generally taken with an AI or Faslodex where I'm sure you'll find lots of information.

I hope you have a long run on these meds.

I'm having radiofrequency ablation on the precancerous cells in my esophagus at the end of the month. I was hoping for cryoablation since the pain afterwards is less but that's what insurance pays for. I'm just happy to get those rogue cells killed off.

Wishing you as few side effects as possible.

• bookworm14

Maggie15,

I hope that the ablation is not too terrible for you and that it does its job. Maybe at some point the insurance companies will do what is better for us than what may be the cheapest option. I’m definitely going to check that thread out! Thank you for always responding to my post!

• margecandoit
    edited August 19

finally got the CT compared. The left lung nodule are minuscule is what it said. So I guess that is good. We haven talked about it but I wonder if they will keep scanning my lungs.
    bookworm- how are you doing?

• maggie15

Marge, I'm glad you finally got the results and the nodule is now miniscule. According to my pulmo there is some kind of protocol that they use for how often and for how long the CTs are done. I'm on every 6 months now.

Thursday is the RFA on my esophagus. I have to follow a special diet protocol for a week after. I have never had any pain during the GI bleed or any procedures that have been done. My gastro says it's because acid has probably destroyed my nerves so I'm hoping this continues.

Bookworm, I'm also hoping that things are going well for you.

• cookie54

@margecandoit Glad the nodules are tiny. The protocol is they have to show 2 years of stability to be considered benign. Finger crossed.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 246

@cookie54 I had two years of stable lung nodules but they scanned again the third year and that’s when I was diagnosed with MBC. I’m glad they didn’t follow that protocol!

• cookie54

@AJ Wow I'm glad they kept scanning also!! Protocols aren't always black and white, patient history certainly is taken into consideration. Hope you're current treatment is treating you well❣️

• AJ

@cookie54 thanks. So far my treatments seem to be keeping the cancer at bay.

• margecandoit

thanks everyone. I will see what happens but I think I will ask for every 6 months.
    maggie - good luck tomorrow.

AJ did they ever biopsy the nodules or they were watching them and then biospy after 3 years.

• AJ

@margecandoit , no they didn’t biopsy the nodules because they were too small. When they started growing they did more complete scans and it was in my liver. They biopsied that and confirmed mets.

• maggie15

Marge, Thanks for the good wishes. I was sedated for the RFA and don’t have any esophageal pain after it; my gastro says acid has killed off my nerves. That’s good in one way but not good in that I wouldn’t feel an injury. I have to follow a special diet for a week (clear liquids for the first two days) but that’s easy to do.

Ask your MO about follow up CTs. Lung nodules are so hard to figure out. The FES pet showed mine are ER+ but that means they could be NSCLC, mets or PF which is what my pulmo thinks is most likely. My MO was hoping to find something other than my acetabulum to biopsy but only came up with another hard to reach site. I guess I’ll keep the radiologists busy looking for growth.