Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CT and Lung Nodules

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,220
    edited June 3

Bookworm, I'm sorry that the biopsy didn't work. Depending on the area they are trying to reach lung biopsies can be extremely difficult. I hope you are not sore from the attempt and the doctors can figure out another way to get the information they need.

I got my fes pet scan results and saw my MO today. My right lung lit up like a Christmas tree but the radiologist saw it was RIPF when comparing it to my latest chest CT. I learned that pulmonary fibrosis also has ER receptors, even in men. Nothing else stood out so they figure the tumor is a bc met with flipped hormone markers, a met from an unknown primary or an unclassified benign or malignant bone tumor. They are going to monitor it by MRI since if it grows it will have to be addressed whatever it is. This gets added to all my other body parts being watched with an EGD next up in July. I'm happy to keep the doctors in surveillance rather than treatment mode.

I hope everyone gets to relax a bit and enjoy some scan free time.

• tougholdcrow
    tougholdcrow Member Posts: 136

I have a lung nodule (1.2 cm) being monitored after an interventional radiologist said it would be difficult to biopsy. Since I was already stage IV with a bone biopsy, it was considered unnecessary. It still makes me quite nervous, so I sympathize with anyone who has to live in the unknown.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,274

bookworm, I’m sorry the biopsy was not productive in getting a sample. The location of my nodules didn’t lean towards a biopsy. I’m hoping you’re not in any pain.

• margecandoit
    margecandoit Member Posts: 155

Maggie - glad you got your results. I am sorry that it just leads to more surveillance. Weird that your lung lit up and are er positive because of roof.

Bookworm- sorry that you went through that and didn’t get a result and went through all that. I know lung biospy suck.

Well I guess it will be another 6 months.

• bookworm14
    bookworm14 Member Posts: 116
    edited June 4

they were able to do a Bronch Flush that I did not know about. I got the results back on that and waiting for the doctor to call since I am not sure what this is they also did a Tempus Bold test for DNA/turmor info…said they do this with every biopsy

Neutrophils/100 leukocytes

View trends%Value47

Lymphocytes/100 leukocytes

View trends%Value22

Monocytes+Macrophages/100 leukocytes

View trends%Value30

maggie15,

I wish you had gotten a little better news. However, being able to just have surveillance versus treatment is nice. I had no idea that RIDF had ER receptors. Wishing you the best for your future scans. Thanks for checking in!

Tougholdcrow,

I’m so sorry about the stage IV diagnosis. The waiting always seemed the hardest for me because if I know then I can plan….as a planner (a bit OCD with it) it made a huge difference going through my treatment. The ladies in the group are so very helpful and sweet I hope you can get with the groups so you can receive some comfort from those that are going through similar things .

Cindyny,

Not too much pain with this one like the previous biopsy in July…that was one near this same area, but by the fissure It caused a small pneumothorax This was just has the nasty cough and a bit of a sore throat Where is the one located for you?

• cindyny

Bookworm, I have 4 nodules but only one they seem concerned with. It’s 6mm left apical, the apex of the lung. With all of them being stable he’s letting me go a year before another chest CT.

• maggie15
    edited June 4

Bookworm, I'm glad they were able to get some information from the BAL and did the Tempus blood test. I have no idea how that information is interpreted but I hope your doctors will have encouraging news for you.

• bookworm14

Hey ladies!! I hope you are all doing well and enjoying some summertime fun if possible.

just had my repeat biopsy on Monday from the failed one in June. This new Pulm doctor did state that I had significant narrowing of the LLL bronchial tubes. He was able to use ballon’s to open the airway up to get to the nodule. They ended up doing needle and cryo biopsies with this along with biopsies of three enlarged lymph nodes ( one in left and right and mediastinum). He is hopeful we can get answers from this, but if not then we will do a repeat CT at the end of the month….if anything enlarges or changes then they will be removing that portion of the lung so the entire area can be tested. The doctor stated that sometimes they can miss an important area with biopsies and that what is going on is not normal. He does not think it is due to radiation since the nodules are relatively new and radiation was almost five years ago. At least we have a plan in place now. Fingers crossed that is does not come back as anything other than inflammation or something that is not cancer.

• tougholdcrow
    tougholdcrow Member Posts: 136

bookworm14, you are going through so much with this! I hope you get solid answers soon.

• maggie15

Hi bookworm, It’s good that the new pulmonologist used balloons to get to the nodule and lymph nodes. Hopefully it will be inflammation or something inconsequential. My pulmo also said that removing a portion of the lung is much easier and more accurate than a biopsy and very effective if there are rogue cells of any type there. I always wondered about that but I do OK with 60% of my lungs functioning. I hope you get a good report and don’t have to go through with that procedure, however.

I had an EGD with esophageal and stomach biopsies yesterday. It’s so much easier than a lung biopsy.

• bookworm14

tougholdcrow,

It is taking a bunch to figure this out, but at least the C word has not been throw out. Hoping is stays that way!

maggie15,

I’m hoping we don’t have to go that way, but the doctor said it was a possibility if nothing comes back with this biopsy. At least there is a plan in place. This biopsy was pretty rough compared to the other. Fingers crossed that you get a good report from your biopsies!

• cindyny

bookworm, I hope you get solid answers too and no mention of C.

Maggie, same hope for you.

• bookworm14

So….not what I wanted to see in the report. I have an appointment with my Oncologist on Wednesday that was already scheduled. I guess we will find out what is needed. I don’t know how to tell my family.

1. Lung, left lower lobe, FNA:

- Negative for malignancy. - Reactive bronchial cells, alveolar macrophages and lymphocytes present.

2. Lymph node, station 4R, FNA:
    - Positive for malignancy. Metastatic carcinoma consistent with breast primary. Tumor is immunoreactive to CK7, GATA3 and p40. TTF-1 is negative. Appropriate controls were examined. Correlate clinically. 

3. Lymph node, station 7, FNA: - Negative for malignancy. - Numerous lymphocytes, few bronchial cells, anthracotic macrophages and cartilage present 

4. Lymph node, station 11L, FNA: - Few atypical cells present present, favor markedly reactive bronchial cells.- Rare lymphocytes, macrophages and bronchial cells present.

• maggie15

Oh bookworm, I’m so sorry about the lymph node. Hopefully there is a long list of effective treatments for you. Your oncologist will probably order additional imaging and have some idea of a possible treatment plan. Telling family is hard but might be a bit easier when you have more information from your MO. Hugs for you.

• bookworm14

maggie15,

Thank you. I am completely shocked…that lymph node has come up in CT scans for a while as enlarged, but no one did anything. Now just hoping it is limited to just the lymph node. Keeping my fingers crossed. I don’t plan on telling anyone until next week after speaking to the Onco and we are going to see my two grandmothers and Dad so I don’t want to ruin the weekend.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 246

I didn’t tell my family until all the imaging and tests were done and a treatment plan was created. Good to get all the information beforehand. Hugs to you @bookworm14!

• bookworm14

AJ,

That is most likely what I am going to do. At least speak with the Onco before stressing g out the hubby.

• bookworm14

so does this mean Stage IV or just a reoccurrence?

• bookworm14

crazy thing is that this came up almost exactly 6 years from original diagnosis…within a week or so

• maggie15

It depends on where the lymph node is. If it’s a hilar node then probably yes, an internal mammary node probably no. You’ll have to ask your onc. The almost exact timing is crazy but no time is a good time for news you don’t want to hear.

• bookworm14

maggie15,
    not sure which one. Really sucks to get this news as things were improving on the other areas of my life.

• maggie15

It sure does. Sometimes when things are looking up you get blindsided. I’m still in limbo with the hip tumor and haven’t heard about the EGD results yet. Limbo is a better place to be, though. I’m in your corner whatever you have to do.

• bookworm14

maggie15,

Wishing and hoping for good news on those results. Limbo sucks almost as bad. At least I can get a plan going….i am not the most patient person! Let us know how it goes and thank you for your posts.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 803

@bookworm14 So sorry to hear about the positive lymph node. We are never ready for this news and it just plain stinks!! Take a breath and give yourself time to digest and sort through this one step at a time. There are many more option's out there than 6 years ago. Sending you strength and positive vibes.

Even though I have surpassed the nodule stage I always pop on here to see how you ladies are doing. Hi to all here and wishing you all the best.

• bookworm14

cookie54,

Thank you! I am trying not to get too worked up at least until I see the MO. Still hoping it might be contained. I hate that you are past the nodule stage, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond and post for us!

• cindyny

bookworm, not the news anyone wants to hear. But with the appointment on Wednesday I’m hoping you’ll have a better understanding of the next steps.

Telling family is hard but again, I’m hoping Wednesday’s appointment gives you more information. ((HUGS))

• bookworm14

cindyny,

Thank you. Answers will help a bunch to get a handle on things before telling family. Thanks for the virtual hugs!

• bookworm14

Met with the MO today. PET scan scheduled for Monday and waiting to hear about a date for the brain MRI (seizures, but I am told I have FND). He has already requested the testing for Receptors. Staging is Stage IV and waiting to see if there are other locations to set a treatment plan. Hope you all are doing well

Any results back for you maggie15?

• maggie15
    edited July 17

Hi bookworm, I'm so sorry it turned out to be stage IV. I hope the lymph node is the only location and the brain MRI and PET show nothing else concerning. It sounds like your MO is on top of things; hopefully there are many long lasting treatments for you.

I got my EGD biopsy results. There is dysplasia which will be removed by radiofrequency ablation or cryotherapy. It's a step up from where it was but it's not cancer yet. My next chest CT is in Nov with the next hip MRI in Dec.

Keep in touch with us like cookie54 does. Hugs and all the good wishes in the world for you.

• margecandoit
    margecandoit Member Posts: 155

Bookworm- I am so sorry to hear this. Sounds like your MO is doing what he can. I hope you get treatment plan soon.
    Maggie- glad you got your results back and that it’s not cancer.
    I am still wait to see if they would get my Ct scan compared to my pet scan it’s been almost 2 months sent I asked. Ugh. I am not worried just wanted to make sure the left nodulas have went away.