Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Awaiting MRI for Bone Mets

Options

Hi! Probably a common situation… finished BC treatment a year ago this week. Two months ago hip started aching on and off. Now a little more consistent especially at night. Went to GP thinking he would send me with referral to PT. Instead X-ray ordered and result is “patchy areas of sclerosis with two largest 3.1 cm on iliac wing and 2.3 cm against hip joint; suspicious for metastasis given BC history”.

MRI is scheduled for next week. Haven’t had any injuries. Has anyone had this type of situation where it WASN’T metastasis? Have read all of the documentation I can find on possible benign alternative diagnosis but nothing seems to fit my health history, age, etc.

very grateful for your help/perspective! Still trying to get over the shock..

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    Options

@themrslewis, we're really sorry to hear that you're going through this worrying situation. It's completely understandable that you would be concerned given your breast cancer history. But please, remember there can be other reasons for your symptoms, and they aren't necessarily indicative of mets. Definitely, the MRI will provide a much clearer picture of the situation. We know that it's easier said than done, but try to stay positive until you have those results.

We're thinking of you, and hoping for the best possible outcome for you.

Warmly,

The Mods

• themrslewis
    themrslewis Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thanks so much. I really am looking for hope and not a diagnosis. Someone that can raise their hand and say “I had lesions found and pain and it was nothing.” 🙏🏻

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 886
    Options

Hi @themrslewis , I had jawbone pain which appeared as a sclerotic lesion on both an x-ray and a CT with contrast. My oral surgeon was worried it was bone cancer and did an open biopsy. It turned out to be osteomyelitis, an infection of the jawbone. It took removing that section of bone and a month of IV antibiotics to clear the infection but it did get better. Only a biopsy can give a definitive answer. There is also a large sclerotic lesion on my scapula which shows up on chest CTs and is classified as "most likely a bone island," something unconcerning. I hope there is a benign cause for your hip imaging.

• themrslewis
    themrslewis Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you!!!! 🙏🏻

• inneedofhope
    inneedofhope Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi there, I've been in the same boat and am currently having a lesion they are on the fence about monitored. Have you had your scan yet. Hope all is well