Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Surgeons in NY/CT/NJ area that do mastectomy + BRAVA expansion system + fat grafting reconstruction

Options
brca1lady
brca1lady Member Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

I am BRCA1 positive, needing to do prophylactic risk reducing mastectomy very soon. Almost all of my immediate female members in my family have been diagnosed with breast cancer (mother, both grandmothers, three aunts), some in their 30s. Most have BRCA1, the rest have not been tested.

My oncology team in located in NYC. I am looking for a reconstruction/plastic surgeon that works with a mastectomy surgeon that does BRAVA expansion and fat grafting reconstruction.

My current options are implant or going flat. I am not a candidate for DIEP. However, I would want the option of BRAVA + fat grafting reconstruction only.

Any recommendations for NY/CT/NJ area would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    Options

Although I can’t address your specific request, after having belonged to bco for 12 years I know that very few members have used the BRAVA method. I also tried using the search function for you and there isn’t much on BRAVA. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge on this will be along soon but I know that few here have tried it. Take care.

• brca1lady
    brca1lady Member Posts: 2
    Options

@exbrnxgrl Thank you so much for searching! As a newbie to this community I really appreciate your response. I will look at some FB groups as well.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,990
    Options

@brca1lady, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're super glad that you've found us and hope the forums are helpful and easy to navigate.

Here's a discussion that might interest you: Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day. It's a bit old, but has lots of pages all about this procedure. Feel free to read and/or post to bring it back into the active topics, and let's see if anyone can offer assistance.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

The Mods

• kriserts
    kriserts Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hi, I had fat grafting with Brava several years ago, in NYC. I had several grafts but couldn't complete the series, but the grafting did help some issues. My surgeon was Dr. Christina Ahn. The problem is, the Brava device was pulled from the market. I think the FDA wouldn't approve it, something like that. So as I understand it (but do your research) the procedure is no longer available.