Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Oophorectomy & hysterectomy experiences

Options

Hello!

I'm due to have a hysterectomy and oophorectomy due to the damage 7 years on Tamoxifen has done. I'm 48 so not quite hit menopause yet although the Tamoxifen has given some sort of menopause.

My question is has anyone else had the procedure and how did they get on?

I made the mistake of googling ...I'll never learn! My gynae is dismissive and says it'll all be fine and I should be glad I won't have smear tests anymore, like that's the most important issue! My oncologist probably doesn't even know I'm having this done as the two departments don't seem to communicate and I've been closed to routine oncology for about a year, despite still taking Tamoxifen.

Any advice or experience gratefully received!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    Options

Welcome, @ali.hoo, and thanks for posting! We understand that facing a hysterectomy and oophorectomy can be a significant step, and it's perfectly natural to have questions and concerns. Many of our members have had similar procedures, so we're sure they will jump in and share their insights and support. In the meantime, you may like to read up on our main site content about the procedure so that you know what to expect:

What Is Prophylactic Ovary Removal?

Prophylactic Ovary Removal: What to Expect

Hope this helps! Please, come back to let us know hoe you're doing!

Best wishes,

From the Mods

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,087
    Options

Ali.hoo - I had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy a few years before my cancer dx. It's been long enough that I don't remember all the gory details, but I do remember that I was pretty much back to normal within 6 mos, or less even.

I really posted to recommend hystersisters.com as a resource for information and support. I found it to be very helpful at the time. Good luck to you.

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    Options

Hi Ali.hoo. Less than a year after my lumpectomy I had an oophorectomy and hysterectomy, then went on a trip to Italy 3 weeks after that (not that my doctor was thrilled with that decisions…). And all was fine. I was 52 at the time and had entered full menopause due to chemotherapy. There was some discomfort immediately following the o/h surgery, but that resolved within a few days after taking an anti-spasmodic medication. Other than that, I was up and around as usual within a week, actually. Of course others will have different experiences as we all have our individual characteristics. The best advice I can give is to keep moving around following the procedure rather than lying in bed or sitting on the sofa "recuperating." Good luck! - Anne

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

Hi Ali.hoo

I had both procedures after 4 months on Tamoxifen because it caused my uterine lining to grow from 2 mm to 17 mm and that was an increased cancer risk, and I needed to continue on Tamoxifen for 5 years. I was and am post menopausal so a thick lining is a risk.

My surgery went ok and I stayed in the hospital over night per my request since I live more than 2 hours from the hospital. I did have a little issue with continued bleeding that would pile up and get all over. It was due to one area of the vagina closed off portion healing slower than the rest. I just had to see the doctor who applied silver to the area, very painful. Unfortunately it took an extra couple of weeks to heal and I couldn’t work out, walk up/down inclines, etc. because that would rub the area and start bleeding. Otherwise, the surgery day went smoothly. So no worry now about getting ovarian or uterine cancer, and no Gyn appts ever again! Not happy that Tamoxifen caused a need for this surgery though. I’m sure you will be fine.

• italianchef
    italianchef Member Posts: 13
    Options

@Ali.hoo, I am having an salpingo-oophorectomy next week so I can give you an update after that.

I am not quite sure what to expect in terms of recovery, but I am hoping it is not too extensive, as my procedure will be laparoscopic.

I hope your procedure goes smoothly and painlessly.