Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast cancer survival

Options

This breast cancer journey is so difficult to endure physically and psychologically. The one thing that helps me to feel better is to hear success stories of people who have survived long term.

There is a " success stories" thread on here ( that I read frequently) but it is from over 10+ years ago.

Let's share more recent stories of women who have beaten this awful disease and lived a long life despite their breast cancer. If you have the information, please share what type of cancer they had and details such as stage etc.

Sending love, prayer and hugs to everyone on this journey

Comments

• a0382
    a0382 Member Posts: 13
    Options

I have 2 friends diagnosed with ER/PR + Her 2 - that have survived 24 and 22 years without any complications.

Both had a lumpectomy with radiation.

One had chemo, though she was told she likely didn't need it and the other did not have chemo.

Oncotype testing was not available at that time.

Hope this brings some peace to someone.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 388
    Options

I have a friend who is 16 years out with a hormone positive tumor. Oncotype 16 and a grade 1.

• a0382
    Options

Thanks Kay !
    How old was she when she was diagnosed? Did she have lumpectomy or mastectomy? What hormone therapy did she have?
    Hope you are doing well !

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Most long-time survivors aren't on BCO; they're out in the real world, living their normal lives. I hit the five year point this year, and now I read just a few threads on this forum when I'm bored. I seldom comment anymore.

• kaynotrealname
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi A! She was 44 years old. She had no lymph involvement although a isolated cancer cell was found. Probably let loose from the biopsy. She originally had a lumpectomy and radiation but a few years after her diagnosis she found out she has an ATM gene mutation and at that point decided to do a double mastectomy and diep reconstruction.

And Alice, I love your sense of humor. May 2018 blow your mind because it's nothing!

• a0382
    Options

Kay,

So glad she is doing well! Where are you in your journey?

Alice, you are incredible for all you’ve been through…..and I’m so glad you are living your life!
    I understand most people move on……thankfully…..but I thought perhaps active members may have stories of others they know that could provide hope. 🙏

• prahan
    prahan Member Posts: 58
    Options

4 years survivor.

• a0382
    Options

Hi Prahan-

Congrats on being a 4 year survivor! I am only 8 months out and the fear is still so palpable.

Are you still taking tamoxifen? Has some of the fear and anxiety lessened?

Thanks for responding!

• kaynotrealname
    Options

I am a year out survivor and doing great physically. Emotionally it can still be rocky but I do feel really good despite having a double mastectomy, later reconstruction, chemo, and on endocrine therapy.

• a0382
    Options

Congrats Kay!!

I understand the emotional difficulties…but I am grateful that you are doing well physically!

Happy Thanksgiving to you! We have lots to be thankful for despite this difficult journey.

• prahan
    Options

Still taking Tamoxifen.6 months left to complete.My anxiety level not yet lessened. As I am 41 years old symptoms of perimenopause started, it makes life miserable. Getting gastric problems now and then , don't know it is related to Tamoxifen

• a0382
    Options

Prahan…..excited for you that you only have 6 months of tam left!
    I'm sorry that you are still feeling anxious….I so hoped it would get easier.
    Do you have children? I’m 49 but still have an 11 year old and I’m terrified of not being here for him.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,983
    Options

16 years out....lumpectomy, chemo, radiation & 5 years of Arimidex. Doing great and feeling great....very grateful!

• a0382
    Options

Hi Ruthbru!

Thanks for sharing your great news! Gives me hope! Congratulations on 16 years!
    Any special tips on how to stay breast cancer free?

• ruthbru
    edited November 2023
    Options

I stay in a normal weight range. I rarely drink alcohol (and then not more than 1 or 2 drinks, at the most). I try to eat semi-healthy. But the most important thing I do is to exercise religiously, for about an hour, every day. Studies show that exercise is the biggest non-medical thing you can do to reduce the risk of cancer recurrence. If you want to have some exercise buddies, check out this thread.

Working on Your Fitness (click on this link and scroll down to 'Lets Post our Daily Exercise'.

• a0382
    Options

Thank you for the advice. Were you shaken when you first got diagnosed? I can’t seem to lose the fear. I know it’s only been 8 months but I’m hoping that things get better with time.
    Do you mix up your exercise regimens? I walk quite a bit and try to do strength training but I probably need to do more aerobic things.
    I appreciate you sharing the exercise link.
    Much gratitude,

Angie

• ruthbru
    Options

Yes, I was completely devastated when I was first diagnosed. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't be! I had to force myself to make plans or even buy big ticket things (because what if I wouldn't be around do do/use them?). I think the best antidote to that is to keep busy, plan & do engaging & interesting things. If you fill your life with living, there isn't as much room for fear. It took me several years to not break into tears after a good checkup & have my stomach turn over when I even drove past the cancer center where I had my treatments…..so all your unsettled feelings are perfectly normal…..and will get better with time (kind of like childbirth; you remember that it was painful, but you don't remember the pain itself).

As far as exercise goes, yes, I mix it up a lot. I like classes, so take a mixture of dance classes (Zumba, Pound (which is a class where you use weighed drumsticks to pound to the music with some standing & some floor work), Dance2fit (another music based class where every other song uses weights). I also practice Yoga a couple times a week (good for your physically AND mentally). I also walk a lot (we have a 94 pound dog!) & have a bunch of exercise DVDs if I can't make it to the gym. I probably should add a weight lifting class….but that doesn't sound ever fun to me!

• prahan
    Options

I am 36 when diagnosed. 2 boys aged 11 and 9 at the time of diagnosis.

Now I am 41. Same feeling, terrified still

• warrior50
    warrior50 Member Posts: 34
    Options

I am a 10 year stage III cancer survivor.

• a0382
    Options

Hi Ruthbru,

Thank you for making me feel normal. My fear is so overwhelming some days ….but I’m trying to ask God for the grace to get through 1 day at a time. I’m also trying to keep busy and just live.
    It’s so nice that you stick around to support us newly diagnosed and early in our journey.

Hope you are having a good day!
    Ang

• a0382
    Options

Prahan,

I am so glad you are doing well but sorry to hear that you are still terrified. I understand…..I battle fear every day.

I hope we can all find a way to put this to the back of our minds so we can try to enjoy living.

• a0382
    Options

Warrior 50,

Yahooo! Congratulations on 10 years …..that’s wonderful.
    how old were you when you were diagnosed? Any secrets of how to live to remain cancer free? I have heard some women go extreme with diet, like clean keto or vegan….i have just tried to eat a balanced, whole food diet with minimal processed foods and minimal sugary drinks etc.

Sounds like Ruthbru did the same and she’s doing great!

I know exercise is super important and I definitely need to ramp up my game, I do a lot of walking but I need more aerobic things.

Thanks for chiming in.
    Hope you have a great night,

Ang