Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Please read and hand hold or advice…

Options

Hi all, I’m in a terrible mess.

My story is, I am 31, I was throwing a ball for my dog and thought I’d pulled my right shoulder or chest muscle, as had pain in the area. This was the end of November. The pain in my shoulder was like a achy burning pain.

I’ve tried to rest it however with two young kids etc it’s pretty impossible.

I then became obssesed / anxious that there must be a lump in my armpit ( I suffer with health anxiety ). So admitting I was prodding a lot, then I thought I best check my breasts, so I did, couldn’t find anything both of my breasts have lumps.

The last few weeks I have become so anxious about this I’ve been checking my breast constantly, I mean more than 20 times a day. I haven’t slept properly, I’ve self diagnosed I’ve got IBC or Padgetts.

To me my Right nipple seems bigger, just the nipple not the areola. My right breast has always been the biggest of the two all my life. My breasts feel irritated, my right one more than my left. My whole chest feels tight at times. However I feel like I’ve over checked myself and I don’t even know what my normal even is now!

There is currently no redness or discharge or swelling. Both my breasts feel the same temperature. They don’t itch, but feels tender like if the kids brush against them.

I saw the doctors yesterday who examined me and said she could not feel any lumps or lymph nodes. She did comment I have gritty breast tissue in both breasts but said this is normal and that the fact I have very small breasts it’s easier to feel lumps ?

(Also in November I messed around with my contraceptive as we had a holiday and I didn’t want my period. So my schedule so a little amiss. However definitely not pregnant).

Doctor stated she is not concerned believes it’s a pulled muscle and anxiety related. She made an appointment for me to see her in two weeks time and if I’m still anxious she would refer me to the breast clinic.

Should I wait two more weeks or should I go to the breast clinic before. I’m worried as I know IBC spreads fast…

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 385
    Options

I'm not a doctor but none of this reads as IBS. It's pretty rare actually. More than likely it's exactly what your doctor thinks which is a pulled muscle or tendon and then you checking yourself so often has irritated everything. I would take your hands off of your breasts. If you need help doing that, ask for some medication to take your anxiety down to a manageable level. I would also recommend therapy. Health anxiety is an awful thing. I have it, too, and it really requires some tools to manage so that you don't kill yourself off multiple times a day and ruin every bit of happiness that comes you way.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,790
    Options

As kaynotrealname commented, IBC is fairly rare. You have seen your doctor and she is not concerned but has presented you with a reasonable follow up plan. I do not have health anxiety but have seen how debilitating it can be for some. Please pursue treatment of your health anxiety ASAP as it can impact so much of your life, even without your current breast health concerns. Take care

• wiggles123
    wiggles123 Member Posts: 2
    Options

@exbrnxgrl @kaynotrealname

Thankyou both for taking the time to read and reply.

I am going to get help for my anxiety, I’m still not ok today , still in a mess if I’m being honest. My breasts are sore - from checking I think, but it’s my right breast is the sorest and that’s the one I’m so concerned about. I really need to get it together, however much I try.

I won’t be able to see the GP till next Tuesday either due to the holidays. Trying to distract myself 😩.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 385
    Options

I'm so sorry, Wiggles. Health anxiety is an awful, awful thing. One of the strategies I learned when I'm "spinning" is to schedule my worry time. Like I pick a particular time of the day I can worry and for today for instance it might be 2:00. Then I schedule the limit. Like half an hour. And if I worry outside of that time frame I remind myself that it's not my time and to just hold on until it is so pack those thoughts away. I then find that more often than not when my scheduled worry time comes, I don't want to engage all that much. My body has calmed down and I don't want to obsess again. Anyway just a suggestion. I wish you the best.