Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sister just diagnosed with TNBC

Options

Good morning, everyone,

My sister was just diagnosed with TNBC, in fact she hasn't been staged yet but the Onc feels she's probably at IIIB given the size and at least one Node involvement. She will be getting her scans this coming week then starting Chemo. She lives in Georgia and I'm in PA so I can be at her dr appts to ask questions but my nephew is taking notes and sharing. The Dr. wants to us the Keynote 522, and has provided paperwork for Carboplatin, Doxorubicin, Pembrolizmab, Cyclophosphamide and Paclitaxol. I'm not really sure I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has been thru this particular regiment or is currently going thru. What the side effects are, what you've done, used to help counteract any side effects. Any advice would be very appreciated. I'm getting a package together for her and want to make sure I'm covering as much as I can. Pepto for Diarrhea, Ginger for nausea, silk pillowcases (my head was so sore when I was losing my hair), etc.

Just as a bit of History, I was diagonosed in 2011 with stage IIA TNBC, at that time I had a Lumpectomy, 6 rounds of TAC, then radiation. Honestly can't believe it's been 12 years. And I'd love to hear more about the new protocals. I had posted and got a lot of information from this site at the time however, I no longer have my login credentials so I had to create a new account.

Thank you,

Heather

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Keynote 522 is the standard of care for Tnbc right now. As for side effects they vary with each person. The doctors and nurses will offer which meds they recommend for side effects so I would wait on purchasing items. You can read all about Keynote 522 online both medical journals and studies. I wish your sister all the best.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 682
    Options

@mccrimmon0122 Many of us TNBC's have been treated according to the Keynote 522 including me. Agree with hopeandhealth side effects vary and your sister will receive lots of guidance and info from MO office. I think if you include the basics for nausea ,constipation, even things like fuzzy socks , entertainment for chemo, snacks,books, blanket,hats or scarves etc . She will be able to put together her chemo bag with some of your gifts.

Glad to hear you have been doing so well and I wish the best for your sister also. It's great that she will have you to talk to about the cancer feelings other don't understand. Sending positive vibes your way.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,989
    Options

@mccrimmon0122, we're sorry to have you here again, this time for your sister's diagnosis, but glad you decided to come back for support from our members.

If it helps, we have a wonderful thread with a list of things to do and items to consider when going through chemo: More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

You might also find this discussion useful: Important Links for Newbies About Chemotherapy

Wishing you and your sister the best. We're looking forward to hearing more from both of you soon.

The Mods

• AmyBrynn
    AmyBrynn Member Posts: 2
    Options

I just went through this protocol at MSK over this past year. I was diagnosed in Oct of 22 and just finished my last Keytruda/Pembro treatment November 22,2023. I had a complete pathological response, which was confirmed at the time of my lumpectomy in April. Those people in the Keytruda study, who had no cancer in them anymore at time of surgery were still cancer free five years out. I am in that camp, thank God. The study is ongoing as far as I understand, so nobody knows after 5 years what will happen.

My sister was also diagnosed, one month before me, with Estrogen+ cancer and she had a double mastectomy, no treatments.

This was a grueling year- with chemo treatments every week for 3 months, then every 2 weeks for 2.5 months. I wish your sister the best! She has you for support, which is everything!