Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Accuracy of markers in Bone Mets

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone knew accuracy of CA153 and CEA in detecting bone mets

I am very anxiously awaiting results Initial blood test showed ALP was above 200 however CA153 and CEA were well within normal ranges etc

Were your markers elevated when bone mets discovered?? and any other symptoms??

Many thanks

Love to all

Tagged:

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250

I can’t speak to those specific markers in terms of their relationship to bone mets. There are many doctors, mine included, who don’t use tumor markers at all. My impression is that tumor markers may or may not accurately reflect what’s going on so it appears as if their validity varies by individual.

• kim71
    kim71 Member Posts: 9

Thank you exbrnxgrl

Appreciate your comments

• norah2024
    norah2024 Member Posts: 11
    edited August 20

I don't know if this helps anyone,

but as I will talk about my personal experience,

I remained cancer-free for three years and a half, during that time all the markers were within the normal range, but the last blood test and markers showed an increase in CA15-3 (45). However, my oncologist tell me that markers doesn’t necessarily mean that something serious, and most of the time this is due to an errors in the calibration of the devices, but I insisted on a repeating the markers test.

the results were almost the same, then I asked my doctor for PET-scan, which in turn showed the presence of an area in the vertebra and an area in the chest that could be cancer

In my case the markers were a good indicator to detect the presence of a problem.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 584

In my case, dental work and gall bladder issues also pushed ALP way up - by just under 200 points.