Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Worried About an Abnormal Mammogram - Architectural Distortion

Options

Just had my annual mammogram and have always had normal screenings. I'm a 46 y/o with heterogeneously dense breasts. Got the call about an hour after the screening that I need f/u imaging due to "subtle architechtural distortion" of the left breast. Needless to say I'm scared and can't get an appt. for a diagnostic mammo and US until next week.

FINDINGS:
The breasts are heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses. Breast Imaging Screening Mammogram Bilateral w/CAD
Left
1) Architectural Distortion: There is architectural distortion seen in the
central region of the left breast in the anterior depth on the MLO view.

Right
There is no evidence of suspicious masses, calcifications, or other
abnormal findings. Benign round calcifications are seen. Digital breast tomosynthesis images were obtained and reviewed. Computer-aided detection (CAD) was used in the interpretation of this
mammogram.

Encounter Date: 01/23/2024

IMPRESSION:
Subtle left breast architectural distortion only seen on the MLO view

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    edited January 24
    Options

Hi @lkotasioux , I'm sorry that you have to go through the worry that comes with a callback. However, at this point all that is being done is taking a closer look to make sure everything is OK. There are many benign reasons for architectural distortion so chances are very good there is nothing to worry about. A week's wait is not a long time in the breast cancer world because it is not an emergency like a heart attack. Try to stay busy to take your mind off things. I hope you get a good result. Come back and let us know how it goes.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited January 24
    Options

Hi @lkotasioux,

We just wanted to drop a line to say welcome and thanks for participating in our community! We're sure you'll find this space a helpful, supportive, and informative place and we hope you come back often, engage fully, and get the support you need -- if it turns out you need it. In the meantime, we're all here for you while you figure out what's going on!

Also, you might find this extensive thread helpful in explaining the terms you may find in your mammography report:

Please let us know if you need any help at all while you navigate the forums. We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

--The Mods

• lkotasioux
    lkotasioux Member Posts: 2
    Options

Had my diagnostic mammo on Monday and the apparent architectural distortion effaced with the diagnostic views. They said it was healthy tissue superimposed on top of healthy tissue! Thank Goodness!!!

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Good news! It certainly is a relief to get a report like that. All the best!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Great news @lkotasioux! Thanks for letting us know!