Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bleeding during biopsy - is it normal?

Options
sssiminel
sssiminel Member Posts: 11
edited February 2 in Waiting for Test Results

I've had my biopsy on Monday and I have a question about the procedure. I was too stressed to ask the doctor when she was doing it, and then when it was all over, I couldn't wait to get out of there. So, here I am, asking you.

I was lying on the side with my arm up, I kept my eyes closed during the biopsy, but the first time she removed the needle, I felt a stream of blood going along my breast and my collarbone. The nurse wiped it up, and it did not happen again afterward even though the doctor went in 3 or 4 times more. Did this happen to any of you? Was the blood (or whatever fluid) coming from the mass or from the breast? (my US -BIRADS 4A said that the mass was solid, lobulated and that it has vascularity)

Tagged:

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Hi @sssiminel , Bleeding from a biopsy happens occasionally and is more common if you take blood thinners. Bruising which is bleeding under the skin happens frequently. Ice makes the site feel better and helps with swelling.

I bled from a lymph node biopsy in my neck and was told the needle hit a blood vessel meaning it was not the tumor bleeding. I was told to use ice and contact my doctor if there were any signs of infection or a large hematoma that didn't resolve after several weeks. If you notice anything like that you should contact your doctor.

I hope the site heals up well and your result is benign!

• sssiminel
    sssiminel Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2
    Options

Thank you, Maggie! The biopsy site is healing quite well. No swelling, just a little bit of bruising and it's been 5 days. What was weird is that the gush of blood happened right after she removed the needle probe not when she did the incision. I think you might be right, the doctor might've hit some vessel or something when she introduced the needle into the breast tissue.