Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Capecitabine not working

Options

what’s next after capecitabine (xeloda) failure? I am ER+ and HER2- . Took ibrance and letrozole for 5 years NED. Then tried Fulvestrant with no luck and now capecitabine first scan shows progression. What’s next for me? I’m scared.

Comments

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,745
    Options

zipMonk, Has there been a genomics test done on the cancer, to look for mutations, like ESR1, which might be responsible for the progression? Is progression in bones or liver, etc?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

@zipmonk, we're sorry to hear about your progression. We came across this article from our main site that discusses What Happens if Metastatic Breast Cancer Treatment Stops Working. Hope this helps!

And if you want, you can also join some of our very supportive Virtual Community Meetups. There are many different groups, some of them for metastatic breast cancer members, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups. Remember, you're not alone, we're all here to support you!

Warmly,

The Mods

• shannon1965
    shannon1965 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello Zipmonk,

Our time schedules sound alot alike. I just had my first treatment of Enhertu yesterday. There is a thread for it. I've just started posting there.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

@shannon1965, unfortunately, @zipmonk is HER2-negative, and Enhertu is for HER2-Postive and HER2-Low breast cancer.

Although, zipmonk, you could ask your doctors to retest your HER2 status as some breast cancers that have been treated as HER2-negative are actually HER2-low.

"HER2-low breast cancer has a 1+ score on an IHC test or a 2+ score on an IHC test plus a negative FISH test."

Read more here:

We hope this helps!

—The Mods

• shannon1965
    shannon1965 Member Posts: 6
    Options

oh shoot sorry about that! yes I am low Her2 positive, only a plus1. Sorry and good job moderators!

Shannon

• zipmonk
    zipmonk Member Posts: 15
    Options

thanks all for your helpful replies . They did foundation one testing and there is nothing “actionable” revealed by the tests. My onc has mentioned Enhertu. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,745
    Options

ZipMonk, And hopefully you are getting a second opinion, best even at a cancer center where they do a lot of clinical trials, its great for getting a plan set up for the future and to hear about good options…

• perky2020
    perky2020 Member Posts: 72
    Options

Zipmonk, agree with Cure...oius, it definitely good to have 1 or even 2 oncologists that are well connected to clinical trials. Even if you just meet with them as a second or 3 rd opinion. Capecitabine also quit working for me, not sure it ever really did work. I am now on a clinical trial hoping to hold off on IV chemo for as long as I can!