Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My mom was just diagnosed

Options

Greetings everyone. After months of not knowing, my mom has just been diagnosed with "metastatic adenocarcinoma and [results] are most consistent with origin from breast primary." The results are from colonoscopy and pathology is showing ER/PR+ and HER2-.

For some background, she was diagnosed in 2013 with IDC on the right (ER+/PR-, HER2-) and ILC on the left (ER/PR+, HER2-). She went though a bilateral mastectomy, chemo, and radiation. She is now 82 y/o and has been experiencing mild stomach symptoms that would come and go. Tumor markers at beginning of symptoms were normal. At a 6 month follow-up TM went up, PET scan was ordered and results showed NED. Onco wanted a follow-up PET scan 6 months later and this time it showed bowel wall thickening, ascites, and hydronephrosis. However, nothing lit up. A 3-month follow-up showed same thickening and ascites but didn't mention anything about hydronephrosis. So after 3 PET scans and 2 CT scans, nothing was determinable, but was suspected.

Since she had stomach symptoms, I scheduled a gastroenterology consult and a colonoscopy/endoscope was ordered, and received notice today. I tried calling her oncologist immediately today but the earliest telemedicine appointment is scheduled for Monday. Being her caregiver for all my adult life, this is my biggest fear, knowing that the big C has spread. Not sure how I can keep myself sane over the weekend as I want to find the best treatment plan to give her a few more years.

Any words of encouragement are much appreciated as I continue to pray for all of you.

Best regards,

Anthony

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

Welcome, @anthony_ng119. We are so sorry to hear about your mom, we know how shocking and overwhelming a diagnosis like this can be. It's certainly not easy, being the primary caregiver of a parent, and we're sure you've experienced and will experience a range of emotions as you process what all this could mean. We hope you're able to find ways to disconnect and relax this week, and we sincerely hope the appointment on Monday goes well and you and your mom walk away feeling a bit more in control.

We have a forum for Caregivers that we'd like to suggest to you, a place where you can connect with others who are in or have been in your shoes. Providing care and support to your mom through this ordeal means that you yourself need to be mindful of seeking out and accepting care and support for yourself. We're here, for you both.

The Mods