Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Delayed direct to Implant re-construction

Hi Everyone,

My sister had double mastectomy in Jan. Her surgeon didn't recommend immediate re-construction. She is now thinking about direct to Implant re-construction. Please share your experience about direct to Implant re-construction. Thanks 😊

Tagged:

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,139

sanazsabeti65,

I’m sorry to hear about your sister’s breast cancer. Some reconstruction terms can be a bit ambiguous and “direct to implant” can sometimes mean more than one thing. So before I go any further, are you asking about implant recon without tissue expanders (sometimes referred to as one step ) where the permanent implant is placed or are you referencing tissue expanders which are gradually filled as the skin is stretched to accommodate the permanent implants?

• sanazsabeti65
    sanazsabeti65 Member Posts: 17

Hi, thank you for your reply. I was referring to one step recon ( implant without tissue expander)

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,139

Thank you for the clarification. Since they are proposing a one step, no te, reconstruction, I assume her bmx was skin sparing and possibly nipple sparing. I had a one step recon done almost 13 years ago. I had it done at the same time as my bmx so my experience was a bit different. Overall, it was a much easier recovery than I imagined and am happy with the results. Feel free to ask any specific questions.