Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Hormonal Therapy for Breast Cancer May Lower Dementia Risk in Older Women

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 438

For real??? This is like completely the opposite of what HRT proponents say. Exciting to read!

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 258

Well, I think the HRT proponents may still have the last word! It was SERMs (ie, Tamoxifen) that had the most significant 'protective' brain effect (p<0.005) vs SERDs (no effect) and AIs (barely significant). Protective effect mostly seen in those younger users on anti-hormone treatment and younger users usually start with TAM. As TAM has antiestrogen effects on breast tissue, but estrogenic effects in brain, I can see SERM use having brain protective effects. As black women tend to develop breast cancer at an earlier age, and likely start treatment with TAM, I can also see why black women may show a greater brain protection effect. And, estrogen is brain protective by assisting in synapse formation and increased blood flow to brain cells.