Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1 of 4,111 (41,106 results)

Feb 7, 2009 06:36PM klp wrote:

Hello Northstar

I'm an "older" woman that was diagnosed in October of last year...I am 73. I'm retired and spend a great deal of time on my computer. My dx is below.

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 7, 2009 06:43PM carol1949 wrote:

Northstar,  I am 59 and I enjoy the chat room, which you might also enjoy.  It has ladies of all ages and I am certain some are older than I am.

Though, I know there are lots of people that use the suggestion boards.... perhaps some of the younger people use them as it is more convenient due to work, families, etc.

Try coming on the chat room some evening.  People are normally very welcoming and you will get that hang of it soon.

Regards,

Carol

Dx 4/4/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, ER+, HER2-

Feb 21, 2009 02:29PM Sierra wrote:

Hi

I was just thinking this

and wish they would have one

I am older too, a young Senior

shall we say

Lets hope, shall we

PM me any time

Hugs, Sierra

The Time is Now! Dx 1/2000, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-

Feb 21, 2009 08:01PM kmccraw423 wrote:

Let's bump this.  I, too, am senior.  I was diagnosed in October 2008, operated on December 2008 and turned 62 in January.

My primary care seems to think because I am 62 I shouldn't miss my breasts.  Its not like I'm looking for a relationship (I am).  I am over 50 and I won't be breastfeeding any babies (so what).  I felt like asking him should we take his testicles off since he's over 50?

I didn't think I would miss those old saggy girls but I do and I want perky ones back!

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 21, 2009 08:17PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

Hello to everyone......this board is a nice idea even if it means we have to identify ourselves as being *older* I just turned 60 a few weeks ago.....my birthday present was my bc and the surgery and radiation that followed....Im back to work full time doing ten hour shifts almost none the worse for the wear....sometimes I get a bit exhausted but wonder if I didnt do that before my diagnosis to....Im taking Arimidex and hoping to just poo poo any side effect that comes my way and enjoy this little insurance policy for the next 5 years hoping there will be something else to offer by then or perhaps another five years on Arimidex.

Rock on Kathleen.....and by all means get the best new breasts you can get !

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 21, 2009 11:38PM kmccraw423 wrote:

I say "Baby Boomers Unite!"

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 22, 2009 10:50AM klp wrote:

My onco wanted to prescribe Arimidex but I told her I would have to pay $100/90 pills. I asked if I could go on Tamoxifen, and she agreed. Other people I know have taken Tamoxifen for 5 years and then went on either Aromasin or Arimidex later. If Arimidex goes generic I will most likely take it after 5 years of Tamoxifen. So far I've had no SEs with Tamoxifen.

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 22, 2009 11:39AM samedaynurseJan wrote:

So far I have no side effects whatsoever from my Arimidex.....I know that some people say they dont come along until you have been on it for several months, but, I have a couple of friends who are much further down the Arimidex road than I am and are practically side effect free except for some joint pains. My tumor was 98% Estrogen positive and 87% Progesterone Positive so I am thinking the Arimidex is the best insurance policy I can get my hands on.

One of my biggest concerns right now, esp in this economy, is keeping my job and my benefits, we Baby Boomers who are not yet 65 fall into that terrible category for getting any kind of health insurance in the years prior to Medicare without working for a fairly large company and now of course we have the *black stamp* of bc next to our names.....my file from bills for this surgery and treatment is HUGE, never having a health issue before , even as a nurse I didnt realize what even a *non complicated* bc costs. I actually wrote letters to the President and my own congressmen about my opinion on the health care stimulus objectives because they dont do anything to help me or other people in my situation, even though most of us have contributed to the system our entire lives.....*oooops, stepping off my soapbox*

Have a great Sunday everyone !

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 22, 2009 11:39AM klp wrote:

I had heard recently about Arimidex going generic...not sure the source. My onco did mention an assistant to help pay for Arimidex but after hearing about all the SEs I opted for Tamoxifen.

Feb 22, 2009 01:08PM GramE wrote:

I am glad you started this thread.  I had my 63rd birthday in January, have been widowed almost 6 years, and have made a lot of changes in the past couple of years.   Sold "our" house after being there for 36 years and moving to be closer to my one and only son.   I was dx 3 weeks before my son's wedding.   

The insurance issue is one I can get on a roof top to spout off about.   I quit work when my husband became ill and never went back.  Because of my "resources" I do not qualify for anything free.  Even with what I thought was a full medical coverage policy, I was denied MAJOR expenses.  I then found a new policy, which is expensive, but cheap in comparison to what I would have to pay for one treatment, scan, or lab work.  

I am ER/PR negative and Her2 positive.  Anyone else out there in the "older" section with the same?       Nancy 

Page 1 of 4,111 (41,106 results)

Scroll to top button